IFF Squash Mines???

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X²: The Threat.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

SnowHeart
x3

IFF Squash Mines???

Post by SnowHeart » Tue, 28. Dec 04, 18:47

Anyone know of mods or efforts to create a mod that would give IFF capability to squash mines? Might this be something that will be included in The Return? If these things had IFF, I'd start using them--until then, they seem fairly useless. An increased price/production cost would make sense, however.

Peace,
~Snowy

Storm_Front
x2

Post by Storm_Front » Tue, 11. Jan 05, 02:36

What is IFF?

Burianek
x3tc

Post by Burianek » Tue, 11. Jan 05, 02:55

Friend or Foe methinks.
"Nature's first green is gold" . . . stay golden.

Carl Sumner
x4

Post by Carl Sumner » Tue, 11. Jan 05, 03:12

"Identification Friend or Foe" is a side channel signal on RADAR systems that sends a coded signal out and a coded reply back from the target.
8)
Can we run scripts on Squash mines? Maybe it's hard coded? :)

Or would it make it too easy in the game? :P
Tinker

"If engineers built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization!"

SnowHeart
x3

Post by SnowHeart » Tue, 11. Jan 05, 03:19

Well, I think there's a valid concern that it would make it too easy, but at the same time how much utility is there for mines as they currently exist? I don't know about you, but I never use them at all. You can't really put them around sensitive installations because you're own ships may run into them. Same thing for jumpgates.

And, for that matter, there's a question of realism... Clearly these things already have some sort of complex sensor device built into them... how likely is it that whoever programmed that sensor and the attack program it triggers couldn't have added a relatively simple IFF routine based on transponder signals or their X-equivalent?

My concern is that it is hard-coded and therefore relatively impossible, but if its something that can be added, I think it would finally make the bloody things worthwhile. For that matter, you could incorporate some sort of running cost for the "maintenance" and IFF updates the mines would require to keep working, thereby putting a limit of sorts on the likelihood someone would saturate an entire sector with the badboys.

Carl Sumner
x4

Post by Carl Sumner » Tue, 11. Jan 05, 03:48

I think these were meant as "offensive" mines to be used in enemy territory.
Tinker

"If engineers built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization!"

Return to “X²: The Threat - Scripts and Modding”