Cleaning up Khaack fighter swarms

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

kmiller1610
x3tc

Cleaning up Khaack fighter swarms

Post by kmiller1610 » Sun, 9. Jan 05, 23:56

I am playing an umodified X2 game version 1.4.
Rank is Ace of Aces 2nd grade 75%

So I am eager to get the next 15%.

My problem is this. One of the methods I have been using to build rank is to hit targets of opportunity in the Kahaack sectors and warp to the next sector when it gets difficult. M1s give the most rank advancement so I often go for them.

Unlike many of the megalomaniacs who want to try and dominate impossible sectors I have been largely unconcerned about the increasing numbers of M3-4-5s that have gradually been accumulating. Clouds of 15 - 50 fighters flying in small clumps seem impossible to destroy. I have tried two PSG equipped Oddys and a few other combos without much luck. As they have begun to clump at the entry point, it has become much harder to get in and find targets of opportunity.

So, this may be my last major challenge in X2. How does one handle really large numbers of Khaack fighters within their home sectors flying in close formations? The M3s seem smart enough to stay in the Oddy's blind spots and whack away.....

Some Strange Man
x3

Post by Some Strange Man » Mon, 10. Jan 05, 00:11

Oddy, PSG all round with 1 PPC in each turret is the standard for games without AEGIS. Just maneouvre in ways that'll keep your blindspots moving faster than the KM3s can handle easily.

Don't know what's best for that with AEGIS.

If you leave them for a while they will move away from the centre of the sector.

Warchild
x4

Post by Warchild » Mon, 10. Jan 05, 11:01

I'll tell you this about the Aegis system....

IF you think theKhak have gotten difficult now...you really don't want top try and take them on with the Aegis system installed.

The Ship you're in becomes very smart when it comes to selecting weapons load outs.
YOU have to carry the weapons...and the gunnery crew will use them when they see fit...thats what you're paying them for after all...their combat training.

I've found that they can change weapons extreamly fast during battles as long as you have the right equipment in the hold.

I have a Boron Ray with 3 GAMMA PPC's and the rest BETA PPC's with Ion disruptors in every turret with a wide range of weapons leading up to the BETA PPC's. Nothing below Gamma IRE...but I have a few of the inbetween weapons.
The crew will use the smaller weapons to track the target faster...and then hit the target with the heaviest weapon your ship has.
For instance....
You have GAMMA PPC's installed as the largest weapon that you can install..
The smallest weapon that you have is a Gamma IRE..

The Gunnery Crew will TRACK the target with the Gamma IRE, but it will switch instantly to the GAMMA PPC to take it out.

There IS one thing you should be aware of when using the gunnery script....
The Khaak Destroyers are also smart..and if you tke a single Destroyer into the Khaak Sector to take out targets of opportunity....well...you might not make it out of the system.
Its been said a a few threads thatthe other M6, M2, and M1's are much more effective when fighting with the gunnery Script active.
Some people don't like it, but I feel it brings a little realism to the game.

Just be warned about the Gunnery Script ahead of time. It WILL make the game a little harder for you.

Cheers
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So, throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover." -Mark Twain

niblue
x3

Post by niblue » Mon, 10. Jan 05, 16:13

In the Khaak sectors I take a single Ody, aiming to take on (and take out) one enemy capital ship at a time. I usually end up with swarms of Khaak fighters following me and every now and again I turn round and go straight through them at max speed to a chorus of boom, boom, booms as various of them blow up. I then head off at max speed again (the Ody being faster than the KM3) to let the shields recover then repeat until their numbers are thinned out.

I've also tried this with an earlier incarnation of the gunnery scripts installed, using the command it added to launch a missile against every enemy M5 in range. Now that was fun...

kmiller1610
x3tc

Post by kmiller1610 » Mon, 10. Jan 05, 18:54

niblue wrote:In the Khaak sectors I take a single Ody, aiming to take on (and take out) one enemy capital ship at a time. I usually end up with swarms of Khaak fighters following me and every now and again I turn round and go straight through them at max speed to a chorus of boom, boom, booms as various of them blow up. I then head off at max speed again (the Ody being faster than the KM3) to let the shields recover then repeat until their numbers are thinned out.
I have my Ody set up as suggested. I always die. I turn. I hear a lot of boom booms. Then I die. Do you rotate your ship while trying to plow through them to spread the PSG effect? This I haven't tried yet

niblue
x3

Post by niblue » Mon, 10. Jan 05, 21:26

I don't rotate the ship but I as soon as my shields get to around 50% I turn away and go to SETA until my shields have regenerated.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”