Ion Cannons & PSG's

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Pirate Hunter
x2

Ion Cannons & PSG's

Post by Pirate Hunter » Mon, 10. Jan 05, 15:16

What would happen if I gave my AI controlled wingmen these area of effect weapons, I dont want to make enemy's of the locals its bad enouth when Im using Ion cannons never mind an AI ship.

My AI orinocco has got HEPTS so he's ok, but the best a bayamon can handle is a Gamma PAC so I lose alot of them in battle he can carry Ion Cannons and PSG's a good combination but I dont want my race ranking Plumeting.

This is not a question specific to Bayamons I want to know how the AI does with PSG's and Ion cannons on any ship.
[ external image ][/url]
http://www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtopic.php?t=73689 The New and Improved Ultimate Guide to Everything

Kerrdles
x3

Post by Kerrdles » Mon, 10. Jan 05, 15:30

The Ai does the same as you with your ion d's and psgs. It tends to the locals and even you if your not careful.

Apoch
x3

Post by Apoch » Mon, 10. Jan 05, 15:30

If you're in the same sector as the ship, you're in trouble - it will hit friendlies a lot, probably more than you would yourself, since the AI doesn't pay too close attention to that. If you're in a different sector (i.e. OOS) then it doesn't matter, because the area-of-effect is not calculated in OOS combat. Unfortunately, in OOS, these weapons aren't so great, and standard guns usually fare better.
M. "Apoch" Lewis
EGOSOFT Programmer
(and Holy Prophet of Douglas Adams)

Pirate Hunter
x2

Post by Pirate Hunter » Mon, 10. Jan 05, 15:38

So sell bayamons rather than Repair and Equip.

Oh well guess Ill just have to keep building up my stock of Orinoccos.
[ external image ][/url]
http://www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtopic.php?t=73689 The New and Improved Ultimate Guide to Everything

Dunners
x3

Post by Dunners » Mon, 10. Jan 05, 15:49

I had 10 novas with IonD's 10 persei with PSG's and some Bayamons. I set them to attack a Hydra and came back with about 2 of each!

Leave PSG's to the gunnery crews!

Dunners

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Mon, 10. Jan 05, 16:02

Hello,

I though about this issue mainly in relation to wingmen with ICs in order to get combat assistance form a wingman who could not deal the final blow and so prevent me getting a rank bonus or Police Licence payment.

If you engage an AI pirate or other combat ship (not sure about traders), it will follow you rather than fly away. So to get around the problem of system collateral damage, leave you wingman(s) 10km or so above or below the system plane (the 2d grid between jump gates) then engage a ship and let it chase you towards you waiting wingmen. This should get you out of weapons range of 3rd parties as AI ships tend to travel in straight lines between gates and/or stations. Keep an eye on where the fight moves as you might end up back near the plane again...

Having said all that, eventually your AI ship with ICs or PSGs will hit you by accident and that will really pi#s you off...so I stopped using wingmen like this until I got myself M6s and destroyers with shields that can handle friendly fire!

On that note, I tried using Boron M6s with ICs like wingmen (via the protect me' command) to my Boron destroyer (with PPCs) to help me take out Khaak destroyers. Sadly I found to my disappointment that although they fire the IC as the approach Khaak destroyers, the M6 pulled out of the attack to avoid a collision BEFORE the ICs got into range... A Paranid destroyer with PSGs, PPCs and gunnery scripts is a much better alternative for destroyer-destroyer combat. If you don't like PSGs, using Argon M6s with HEPTs are useful wingmen against destroyers.

Sparky

Pirate Hunter
x2

Post by Pirate Hunter » Mon, 10. Jan 05, 16:10

I regualy hit my wingmen with my Ion Cannon, as they always get in the way. Will this cause any actual permenant damage to my Wingmen's Ships.
[ external image ][/url]

Al
x3tc

Post by Al » Mon, 10. Jan 05, 16:39

I dont use wingmen but I guess that it will damage equipment in the same way it does to NPC ships.

Al
X2 Capture Guru - X3:TC Noob :D
X2 Capture Guide

CHAZZ
x3tc

Post by CHAZZ » Mon, 10. Jan 05, 17:00

In those assasination missions it doesnt matter who kills the 'Mark', you or your wingmen. Once dead, you will get the message. I hit my wingmen alot with double Ion D, and never (so far) noticed any permament damage. Might try to fry one of them for a bit longer, tho :P

C.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”