New release of Doubleshadow's X2 Modmanager - V0.12

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X²: The Threat.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

DeadlyDa
x4

New release of Doubleshadow's X2 Modmanager - V0.12

Post by DeadlyDa » Tue, 25. Jan 05, 19:39

X2 ModManager Version 0.12 now available

"Ain't life grand?"

Update: Version 0.0.12 now available. The new version of X2 ModManager can open type files directly from the .cat/.dat files, using the X2 Editor. Very handyl! You will need to upgrade to version 0.33 of Doubleshadow's X2 Editor,

+++++ Edit ++++++ I incorrectly said... "and set the external editor on the ModManager settings pannel to point at the X2 Editor." Wrong.

Just download the correct version of X2E and X2MM, doubleclick on TShips (or select Open from context menu) and you should see it opened in X2E. The "path to external editor" is only used when you select Edit from context menu or when the Open does not use the X2E (not a T file or bad X2E version).

Update: Version 0.0.11 now available. The X2 Modmanager can now merge mods together (still a bit basic...but works great), activate mods like X2 starup window does, delete mods, and display readme files within catalogs. Click on Help on the X2MM main panel for details.

Doubleshadow has just released the initial version of his ModManager for public consumption. I have been working with the beta's for some time now...and let me tell you, this is a very handy tool!

Up until I got my hands on ModManager, I was using OlisJ's X2Modder program (I really do appreciate Egosoft releasing the official X2 Mod kit, but I'm just not into command line interfaces). The ModManager is definitely (IMHO) a major step up.

So...what is it? In the words of Doubleshadow:

X2 ModManager is program for managing X2 The Threat Catalog files (CATs) and Packed Files (PCKs/PBDs).
It can:
  • * list content of catalogs
    * extract selected files from catalogs or extract whole catalogs (normally or with drag & drop)
    * delete files from catalogs
    * add files and directories to catalogs (normally or with drag & drop)
    * overwrite files in catalogs
    * display information about files in catalogs such as size (packed and original) and time of last modification
    * view files in catalogs via external file viewer/editor
Basically, you can edit your .cat/.dat files!

Like the X2 Editor, you will need to click on "Settings" and identify the path to your mod files, and external editor of choice.

Get both the X2 ModManager and the X2 Editor here... http://www.doubleshadow.wz.cz/

Again, many thanx to Doubleshadow for his continued support of the X2 community :D
Last edited by DeadlyDa on Wed, 9. Mar 05, 19:13, edited 3 times in total.

Creston
x3tc

Post by Creston » Tue, 25. Jan 05, 20:29

Didn't his original editor already do this? Or does it now allow you to actually extract and merge the cat and dat files?

So you should be able to use this to merge mods together (after making sure yourself that it doesn't conflict with anything)?

If so, then :D

Creston

DeadlyDa
x4

Post by DeadlyDa » Tue, 25. Jan 05, 20:58

Didn't his original editor already do this? Or does it now allow you to actually extract and merge the cat and dat files?
The X2 Editor allows you to view/edit the X2 type files, but does not actially manage the .dat/.cat files.

The X2 ModManager allows you to manipulate the actual .cat/.dat files...extract, delete, add, overwrite...you name it. You can work on individual files (within a catalog), or extract the whole thing in one go.

As an example, say I had just modified TShips. Before I could do that, I would previously have used OlisJ's X2Modder to unpack the catalog, and decompress the TShips.pck file...X2 ModManager now does that. Then I would need to re-compress my edited TShips.txt into a .pck file, and repack the catalog. Previously, I would have used X2Modder to "Recompress PCK", then "Rebuild CATd", and finally "Repack DAT"...X2 ModManager does that, with a "drag & drop" interface.

Please note: This is the 1st public release. I haven't had a single problem with any of the beta's, and my testing of the release version show's it to be pretty solid. However, use at your own risk.

Standard Disclaimer: Always make sure you BACK UP YOUR FILES before hacking away at X2 :lol:

Creston
x3tc

Post by Creston » Tue, 25. Jan 05, 21:14

DeadlyDa wrote: Standard Disclaimer: Always make sure you BACK UP YOUR FILES before hacking away at X2 :lol:
Where's your sense of adventure? Remember, the X-universe is about discovery. :D

Thanks for the explanation, I'm downloading it tonight. Be about time I can start merging some of my favorite mods (never managed to get it right with the other tools).

Thanks for all your answers today!

Creston

Stonerkrieg
x3

Post by Stonerkrieg » Tue, 25. Jan 05, 22:24

Yes!!!Just the tool I needed!!!
Uh-Oh!I think my wife just left me.

DeadlyDa
x4

Post by DeadlyDa » Sun, 30. Jan 05, 19:18

Creston said:
So you should be able to use this to merge mods together (after making sure yourself that it doesn't conflict with anything)?
You can now :D

Doubleshadow listens! The latest version of his X2 ModManager is available for download at his new & improved website. It can now merge mods together (still a bit basic...but works great), activate mods like X2 starup window does, delete mods, and display readme files within catalogs. Click on Help on the X2MM main panel for details.

TSM
Not a Moderator
x4

Post by TSM » Sun, 30. Jan 05, 20:42

firstly I had COMDL32.OCX error fixed it and now I got file not found x2mmext.dll so unless I am mistaken this program is bust! and yes I did let it d/load VBRuntime files!

*EDIT* you have to install the additional files yourself! C runtime and zlib libary installation

If you get the same probs as me just download http://www.doubleshadow.wz.cz/getfile.p ... nstall.exe and run it I told it to install to windows instead of the first option it gave me then it worked fine :) :D
FAQ's Egosoft Interactive FAQ
Egosoft Wiki

DeadlyDa
x4

Post by DeadlyDa » Sun, 30. Jan 05, 21:02

irstly I had COMDL32.OCX error fixed it and now I got file not found x2mmext.dll so unless I am mistaken this program is bust! and yes I did let it d/load VBRuntime files!
Hmmm...works great for me. However, I also run a fairly complete C development workbench...with tons of strange packages and .DLLs. Maybe I have something on my machine that is required.

I know you said you downloaded the VBRuntime...before I pass it back to Doubleshadow...did you also download and install the C Runtime and zlib1 files?
http://www.doubleshadow.wz.cz/x2mm/getf ... nstall.exe
They need to go into the same directory as X2MM.

+*+* Edit *+*+
Ah...posts passing in the night :lol:

I tend to put my application-specific files in with the executables, rather that clutter up Windows (it's bad enough already!), but it works both ways. As long as the files are in your "path", all is well.

DeadlyDa
x4

Post by DeadlyDa » Tue, 8. Mar 05, 23:20

Version 0.0.12 now available from the download links in the original post in this thread. The new version of X2 ModManager can open type files directly from the .cat/.dat files, using the X2 Editor. Very handyl! You will need to upgrade to version 0.33 of Doubleshadow's X2 Editor, and set the "external editor" on the ModManager settings pannel to point at the X2 Editor.

DeadlyDa
x4

Post by DeadlyDa » Wed, 9. Mar 05, 19:14

Ooops :oops:

In the update message at the top of the forum, I incorrectly said... "and set the external editor on the ModManager settings pannel to point at the X2 Editor."

Wrong.

Just download the correct version of X2E and X2MM, doubleclick on TShips (or select Open from context menu) and you should see it opened in X2E. The "path to external editor" is only used when you select Edit from context menu or when the Open does not use the X2E (not a T file or bad X2E version).

Return to “X²: The Threat - Scripts and Modding”