X²-The Threat fault no. 1294A: The Split Dragon's absent gun

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

MGA
x2

X²-The Threat fault no. 1294A: The Split Dragon's absent gun

Post by MGA » Thu, 27. Jan 05, 17:01

My fellow X² gamers, I 'd like to ask something about the Dragon.
As the Title suggests, I'd like to know why the Split,"Micro Star Trek Voyager," Dragon has only one front gun in the game, let me explain.

There is a wallpaper on the downloads page with a picture of the Dragon with two guns, yet when I was playing X² just last week, I flew past one and examined it, to my suprise, ther was only one front gun, there looks like a slot for one on the ship on the starboard side but it is unfinished. Is it true then that when the game code was being created it was then rushed and the Dragon 's gun was left out, or is there some other reason?

Also, if [X2] pixel and Jericho are reading this, then I apologize if I hurt you two on the CD / DVD Care forum, the full explanation is posted there, although I must point out, that despite the fact I started a fire I saw no reason in pouring perol (or gasoline to you Americans) over it, it hurt me just as much.

Anyway the main point of the topic, any answers?

Edit - that's two guns up front
Last edited by MGA on Thu, 27. Jan 05, 19:33, edited 2 times in total.

Pirate Hunter
x2

Post by Pirate Hunter » Thu, 27. Jan 05, 17:09

Well as the proud owner of a Dragon I hope they finish building the second gun when The Return is released, 2 HEPTS or PPC's up front would make it even better.
[ external image ][/url]
http://www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtopic.php?t=73689 The New and Improved Ultimate Guide to Everything

Lutzie
x2

Post by Lutzie » Thu, 27. Jan 05, 17:11

2 guns up front was a prototype before the game was laucnhed. But as it had 4 guns on the back end, they thought it was over kill, and 1 was dropped. IMO they should have had 2 up front and 1 top/back and 1 bottom/back
People, LEARN:

Lose: To be unsuccessful in retaining possession of; for example: He's always losing his money.
Loose: Not fastened or restrained; for example: Loose papers

MGA
x2

Post by MGA » Thu, 27. Jan 05, 17:15

Lutzie wrote:2 guns up front was a prototype before the game was laucnhed. But as it had 4 guns on the back end, they thought it was over kill, and 1 was dropped. IMO they should have had 2 up front and 1 top/back and 1 bottom/back
That's a pity, as it looks sweeter with those two guns up front I just hope that the second slot gets added too, anyone else?

Pirate Hunter
x2

Post by Pirate Hunter » Thu, 27. Jan 05, 17:15

I prefer it the way it is, M6's are bad dogfighters, taking out a swarm of Khaak M5's would be a lot harder. thats why I dont fly a Centaur. Same goes for Xenon K's.
[ external image ][/url]
http://www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtopic.php?t=73689 The New and Improved Ultimate Guide to Everything

Hugh S Paton
x4

Post by Hugh S Paton » Thu, 27. Jan 05, 17:18

The one thing about the current set up of the weapons on the Dragon is that it causes you to learn a completely differnt fighting style than any other ship in the game.

If any ship does need a second gun at the the front, then its the Hydra.

Lutzie
x2

Post by Lutzie » Thu, 27. Jan 05, 17:20

Pirate Hunter wrote:I prefer it the way it is, M6's are bad dogfighters, taking out a swarm of Khaak M5's would be a lot harder. thats why I dont fly a Centaur. Same goes for Xenon K's.
No, but it's also designed to be a threat to slower craft, and with one gun upfront, it aint.

IMO M6's are right royally screwed at the moment combat wise anyway.
People, LEARN:

Lose: To be unsuccessful in retaining possession of; for example: He's always losing his money.
Loose: Not fastened or restrained; for example: Loose papers

Pirate Hunter
x2

Post by Pirate Hunter » Thu, 27. Jan 05, 17:22

The one thing about the current set up of the weapons on the Dragon is that it causes you to learn a completely differnt fighting style than any other ship in the game.
Yeh I wouldnt normaly run from a Pirate Mandalay :lol: .

An extra gun for aproaching the target would be good and when you compare that to what the Osprey has its not exactly making it too good.

This should be in Dev Net realy.
[ external image ][/url]

Pirate Hunter
x2

Post by Pirate Hunter » Thu, 27. Jan 05, 17:29

Lutzie wrote:
Pirate Hunter wrote:I prefer it the way it is, M6's are bad dogfighters, taking out a swarm of Khaak M5's would be a lot harder. thats why I dont fly a Centaur. Same goes for Xenon K's.
No, but it's also designed to be a threat to slower craft, and with one gun upfront, it aint.

IMO M6's are right royally screwed at the moment combat wise anyway.
I have captured alot of Pirate ships with my Alpha PPC. but if you meen a nova by slow then your right.

I think the main problem with the M6 (it was the problem I had anyway) is when you get it your used to flying an agile M3 in a dogfight, you have to learn a whole new style of fighting with a M6. It took me a while, but im eating Xenon K's for breakfast now.
[ external image ][/url]

Dragon_Rider
x4

Post by Dragon_Rider » Thu, 27. Jan 05, 17:33

I like flying my Dragon, its the ship i use for everything!

anyway the I like it the way it is because i allways let the turrets do the work on the Dragon just fly past the offending group of pirates/khaak and slow down to the ship that is going the fasted and the turrets will take care of them, once the fasest is killed keep slowing down to match the fastest ship!!

and Xenon K's well as Pirate Hunter said there very nice for Breakfast :D
Ben

Hugh S Paton
x4

Post by Hugh S Paton » Thu, 27. Jan 05, 17:37

If the dragon has 2 guns up front and 1 in each turret then its a faster Nemesis, without PSG's. If it has 2 guns up front and 2 in each turret then its moving towards a faster, albeit weaker, Osprey.

Right now its unique. I have a few and while the Dragon is not my favorite personal flier, (I use them in pairs as a fast response group), there are many people who swear by them, (but hey, maybe theyve never met a Mandlay in combat).

My point is that right now there is great variety of ships in the game each with strengths and weaknesses and that one of the things that makes X2 great. If all ships have only strengths then thats boring.

Dragon_Rider
x4

Post by Dragon_Rider » Thu, 27. Jan 05, 17:41

Hugh S Paton wrote:If the dragon has 2 guns up front and 1 in each turret then its a faster Nemesis, without PSG's. If it has 2 guns up front and 2 in each turret then its moving towards a faster, albeit weaker, Osprey.

Right now its unique. I have a few and while the Dragon is not my favorite personal flier, (I use them in pairs as a fast response group), there are many people who swear by them, (but hey, maybe theyve never met a Mandlay in combat).

My point is that right now there is great variety of ships in the game each with strengths and weaknesses and that one of the things that makes X2 great. If all ships have only strengths then thats boring.
The Dragon is all i fly, and i have taken down a few pirate base's with it so i have killed loads of Mandalay's so i don't really know why people are scared of meeting them in a Dragon :?

or have i missed something?
Ben

Pirate Hunter
x2

Post by Pirate Hunter » Thu, 27. Jan 05, 17:44

By run from a mandaley I meant get all 4 guns aimed at it, it needs to be behind me to do that.

The only thing I have against relying on turrets is, when Im doing XI missions towards the end of it most of the Xenon fighters are concentrating on the other Friendly fighters, and it is hard to shoot at a fast fighter that isnt attacking you. so I end up trying to dogfight with them and crash into the other M6's and obliterate and M5 that comes near, not great for my rep.
[ external image ][/url]

Pirate Hunter
x2

Post by Pirate Hunter » Thu, 27. Jan 05, 17:47

The Dragon is probrably the best ship for taking out stations, because if you have your rear facing the docking port every ship that tries to launch to attack you gets obliterated. I took out the split capital doing this, and I mean every station and most of there ships including a carrier.
[ external image ][/url]

Hugh S Paton
x4

Post by Hugh S Paton » Thu, 27. Jan 05, 17:54

Pirate Hunter wrote:By run from a mandaley I meant get all 4 guns aimed at it, it needs to be behind me to do that.

The only thing I have against relying on turrets is, when Im doing XI missions towards the end of it most of the Xenon fighters are concentrating on the other Friendly fighters, and it is hard to shoot at a fast fighter that isnt attacking you. so I end up trying to dogfight with them and crash into the other M6's and obliterate and M5 that comes near, not great for my rep.
Totally agree, in that circumstance I tend to use a Centaur. M6 can't dogfiight and certainly, but the Centaur can cope with either shooting the Xenon M3 and / or ramming them. The Dragon is less useful at this, not beceause of its lack of fire power but its single shield.

Pirate Hunter
x2

Post by Pirate Hunter » Thu, 27. Jan 05, 17:57

The single turret gun on a Centaur will struggle against a Xenon K, and a K is alot fatser than a Centaur, I sometimes struggle to catch them in my Dragon, but once I have thats it hes gone.
[ external image ][/url]

Dragon_Rider
x4

Post by Dragon_Rider » Thu, 27. Jan 05, 17:58

But the Dragon has the best handling off all of the M6's so that compenstes for the single shield!! plus if you use Strafe Drive, then its even better!

Ben
Ben

Pirate Hunter
x2

Post by Pirate Hunter » Thu, 27. Jan 05, 18:02

Yeh the only time a single shield bothers me is when a KM3 attacks me, the only way I have found to get rid of them is fire on them to get there shields down then ram them, all the time being hit by his Kryons. Its not a perfect way to kill him and Ive lost a few jumpdrives doing this.
[ external image ][/url]

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 27. Jan 05, 18:07

Hugh S Paton wrote: If any ship does need a second gun at the the front, then its the Hydra.
But the Hydra doesn't have the steering for another fixed-mount gun to be useful. If it had enough fixed forward firepower to take out a typical M3 target in a single attack run then it might be useful, but as it is, I'd say giving it more turrets (or better steering!) would be better upgrades than additional fixed guns.

Charlie Whiskey
x3tc

Post by Charlie Whiskey » Thu, 27. Jan 05, 18:14

The Split is supposed to be aggressive, and I expect 3 guns up front and 1 in each turret. Why they have the guns on the current "fleeing" configuration is a little beyond me.
"WhiskeyCorp - The universe's local monopoly" (TM)

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”