Advanced General Questions - AEGIS, SMS Syntax, TLs - Help!

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X²: The Threat.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Mavryn
x4

Advanced General Questions - AEGIS, SMS Syntax, TLs - Help!

Post by Mavryn » Sat, 29. Jan 05, 03:34

Ok, I have quite a bit to say, but please read! I would like some help. X2- The Threat is my first introduction into this series and even genre. It is excellent. I think I cried when I saw the possibilities this game had. It has met almost every expectation I have. Actually, it's the only game I even *registered*. I do have a few problems though that I can't find them on other posts.

- I don't understand the syntax for the sms mini or deluxe and am not even sure what they are for

- How does the AEGIS weapon system work? I bought it, but... it doesn't work. Do I find a crew somewhere? Or what? I have multiple weapons that it can cycle through on my Argon Titan (ion, g-ppc, g-hept) but I can't even highlight it to select it. It just sits in my command section un-highlighted

- If I have a ship following me, and I use the Jump Drive, will it also use the Jump Drive (obviously if I have two)? If not, how can I get it to?

- Do I use the BPH to sell my product to other stations? Is it even worth to sell or should I just have AI come and buy it?

- What is the Paranid Kri'me system delivery upgrade?

- What is the worth of having a TL? I bought one, and mostly used it to transport factories. Is it even worth to have a Mammoth? Or is a Hercules or Elephant just as good? Either way, I can't come up with anything for it to do. Mobile Drilling seems too cumbersome and slow for its worth and even if I do that, can I put it on auto?
Spoiler
Show
- Do I even need this spoiler? What level do I have to be at to download Khaak locations and ship/weapon specifications?
I think that's all I have for now. If anyone can help me out that would be awesome. I don't need a too in depth of an answer. Just a push in the right direction. I think I did pretty good figuring a lot of this out so far considering it's my first time ever :) Any other random tips would be great, since I probably don't know a lot of other stuff I'm missing.

Oh, and I've found that Dolphins should probably only be used for Universal Trader... Too slow otherwise.

Mavryn

Shipping Magnate
Ace 2nd Grade
20 Factories All Kinds All Over
1 Argon Titan
4 Argon Nova
1 Paranid Pegasus
40-some Boron Dolphins (half of which use Universal Trader)
10 Paranid Hermes
1 Argon Mercury
1 Paranid Demeter

That should be it... Enjoy, I love this game. Even my girlfriend wants me to explain it so she will hate me playing it less.

The_T
x3

Re: Advanced General Questions - AEGIS, SMS Syntax, TLs - He

Post by The_T » Sat, 29. Jan 05, 03:49

Hey there!
Mavryn wrote: - I don't understand the syntax for the sms mini or deluxe and am not even sure what they are for
the what?
- How does the AEGIS weapon system work? I bought it, but... it doesn't work. Do I find a crew somewhere? Or what? I have multiple weapons that it can cycle through on my Argon Titan (ion, g-ppc, g-hept) but I can't even highlight it to select it. It just sits in my command section un-highlighted
open up the readme that came with the script for more info, but you do need crew, they can be bought at equipment docks, but you have to chase after the supply ships in order to get them before they disappear.
- If I have a ship following me, and I use the Jump Drive, will it also use the Jump Drive (obviously if I have two)? If not, how can I get it to?
if you go through the command menu, then yes, it will, however, if you just press 'shift-j' (jump drive hotkey) then no, it won't.
- Do I use the BPH to sell my product to other stations? Is it even worth to sell or should I just have AI come and buy it?
initially, a bph ship will only BUY for you. however it will buy all resources needed for the station, eventually it will also start selling, once it levels up more (6, i believe). whether or not it is worth selling with your own ships depends on whether or not the ai is buying from you fast enough, if your station isn't constantly producing because it keeps filling up, then you should be actively selling.
This is the SDS or station delivery software upgrade. it allows you to deliver products directly from one of your stations to another of your stations, for example to supply a silicon mine with energy cells.
- What is the worth of having a TL? I bought one, and mostly used it to transport factories. Is it even worth to have a Mammoth? Or is a Hercules or Elephant just as good? Either way, I can't come up with anything for it to do. Mobile Drilling seems too cumbersome and slow for its worth and even if I do that, can I put it on auto?
a hercules is the most often used one, and they are very valuable for transporting factories for factory loops where you want to get a lot of facts into position, as well as general storage. For mobile mining, equip the mining laser onto a TS ship; either the Caiman, Demeter or Vulture can mount it, although the demeter is the only one that can mount it in the front. There is no auto setting to do the mining. However, if you purchase some extra TSes, equip them with the special orders software upgrade, you can give them the order 'collect wares in sector' and they will pick up the ore for you.
Spoiler
Show
- Do I even need this spoiler? What level do I have to be at to download Khaak locations and ship/weapon specifications?
no, not really, it doesn't give anything away to new players. To download the specs, you must complete the plot, and be at least 70% in the third highest 'favor' catagory of the race you want to buy from, ex. Boron Queen's Knight 70%.

and about the dolphins; they make great selling ships for your solar power plants.
Last edited by The_T on Sat, 29. Jan 05, 03:53, edited 1 time in total.

Mavryn
x4

Post by Mavryn » Sat, 29. Jan 05, 03:51

Thank you, very much. It's a lot of help.

Mav

Mavryn
x4

Post by Mavryn » Sat, 29. Jan 05, 03:54

Oh, and the sms mini or deluxe is in the station management commands... I dunno, I downloaded it from the egosoft download site.

Mav

The_T
x3

Post by The_T » Sat, 29. Jan 05, 03:56

2 other things,
1. i modified the above post to say this, but you posted before i did; you need to check the readme that came with the gunnery crews SCRIPT, not the game readme, to see more info on it.
2. If you download the khaak weapons specs, you will no longer be able to capture their ships until you get to the combat rating of Ace of Aces 3rd.

ps. oh, the station management comands are for any trading or equipment docks you happen to own, i do believe, although i haven't downloaded them myself.

softweir
xr

Post by softweir » Sat, 29. Jan 05, 04:16

Mavryn wrote:Ok, I have quite a bit to say, but please read! I would like some help. X2- The Threat is my first introduction into this series and even genre. It is excellent. I think I cried when I saw the possibilities this game had. It has met almost every expectation I have. Actually, it's the only game I even *registered*. I do have a few problems though that I can't find them on other posts.
You may find some of them answered better in the modding & scripting forum! It is very well worth looking for the readme files which - if you used the new all-in-one script installer - will be in a readme folder inside your X2 game folder.
- I don't understand the syntax for the sms mini or deluxe and am not even sure what they are for
sorry, not used them.
You need to hire crew. The AEGIS itself is not usable, but with crew it gives your turrets lots of extra options. Take a ship capable of docking with trading stations and the like (a TP is good for this), and wander the Argon part of the universe looking out for Personnel transports with a name including "Military Transport". When you find one, check out it's info screen (you may need to page down) to find its destination. Make sure you get there ahead of it - you will need to use jump drive! When you have arrived and docked wait for the MT to get near to docking, save, and switch to the Trade with station screen. When the MT docks a *few* Gunnery Crew will appear on the screen - buy them fast! They will disappear quickly. Then Save again. If you got hardly any crew, then you might want to cheat and reload the savegame from just before the MT docked and see if you get more crew that time. Either way, go back to your Titan quickly and transfer the crew to it. I think you will need a grand total of 90 crew to be able to use Gunnery Crew options for all turrets.
If you go into the menus to activate your jump drive then a ship following you will - if it is capable - use jumpdrive to follow you. If you use the quick-jump key Shift+J) then following ships will not use jumpdrive.
Do I use the BPH to sell my product to other stations? Is it even worth to sell or should I just have AI come and buy it?
The BPH will only sell once the pilot has reached a level of 7. Until then you will either have to depend on the AI coming to you, or you will need to have an extra ship set to Sell Ware For Best Price. Having a ship doing the selling is more risky, because if the price drops before it reaches its destination then it will still sell, however low; and because you can occasionally lose selling ships to enemy activity. However, you can also, in a good market, make better profits that way.
Also known as SDS or Station Delivery Service, this is a script that allows you to command a ship to transport wares to other stations that you own. It is used when setting up loops - typically SPP loops - silicon mine, crystal fab, low-end food, high-level food and SPP, all transferring their produce to the others without any cash exchange. The SPP will effectively get its Crystals for no cost except about half its energy cells, and the remaining energy cells will sell for profit. Most useful in sectors where crystals are hard to get!
What is the worth of having a TL? I bought one, and mostly used it to transport factories. Is it even worth to have a Mammoth? Or is a Hercules or Elephant just as good? Either way, I can't come up with anything for it to do. Mobile Drilling seems too cumbersome and slow for its worth and even if I do that, can I put it on auto?
Main reason for having a TL is to be able to place stations, but others do use theirs for mobile mining (generally as a dump into which the ore and silicon go), or as a safe place for captured ships to fly to, or even as a bulldozer for splatting Khaak clusters without even using guns. I can't help you on purchase, each TL has different strengths and weaknesses. I bough a Mammoth, as I am most into setting up stations at the moment. Others are better suited for different roles.
Spoiler
Show
Strictly speaking you do, though others neglect to do so quite a lot and the mods don't *always* catch them.
Spoiler
Show
I believe you need to be well into the plot and very popular, but I am not sure. Sorry - I'm not into that part of the game yet!
I think I did pretty good figuring a lot of this out so far considering it's my first time ever :) Any other random tips would be great, since I probably don't know a lot of other stuff I'm missing.
You've done pretty well so far. :)
My new fave game (while waiting for Rebirth) - Kerbal Space Program

Some Strange Man
x3

Post by Some Strange Man » Sat, 29. Jan 05, 18:33

Spoiler
Show
The plot has to be finished and you need to be very popular with the race you get them off. The "Save Menelaus" mission is perfect for making yourself popular with the Boron.

Or, when you are playing a game without the plot.

Carl Sumner
x4

Post by Carl Sumner » Sat, 29. Jan 05, 22:22

P.S., Welcome to X2! :D
Tinker

"If engineers built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization!"

Return to “X²: The Threat - Scripts and Modding”