another spaceflies post

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

are spaceflies truely useless?

Yes, totally
19%
Yes, apart from as an Engine booster
12%
They're good for some casual profit
13%
but they're cool...and shiny
56%

Total votes: 52

Tritous
x3tc

another spaceflies post

Post by Tritous » Thu, 3. Feb 05, 11:16

From what I've heard, spaceflies can be used as a highly efficient engine booster fuel...therefore i want em. (that and they're valuable)

I've also heard that the special command softwares allows for automatic spacefly hunting?

Ive also heard that if they are in a ship not piloted by you (ie AI piloting) they wont get flagged by patrols.

and finally I've heard that using a rear turret ID works.

Is any of this true, or am I hearing junk, because I'm tempted to buy a Boron Manta to send it Spacefly hunting
Give a man a fire, he'll stay warm for a day
Set a man on fire, he'll stay warm for the rest of his life ;)

Silvermane
x3tc

Post by Silvermane » Thu, 3. Feb 05, 11:29

1. Yes.
2. No.
3. I think only OOS, but I wouldn't risk it anyways.
4. Only if you man it yourself, as it normally won't fire at spaceflies on it's own.

It goes like this: you zap the little buggers with an ID, then collect them; they don't show up on the gravidar, though, so you have to keep firing those IDs to locate them properly. Since they don't show up as cargo boxes, the special software won't collect them; also, they "wake up" again after a short while and buzz off.

IMHO, they're best harvested in a Barracuda or a Nova.

-Silver
Rule 1: Pillage then burn.
Rule 27: Don't be afraid to be the first to resort to violence.
Rule 34: If you're leaving scorch marks, you need a bigger gun.
Rule 37: There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'.

Merroc
x3tc

Post by Merroc » Thu, 3. Feb 05, 11:46

Silvermane wrote:3. I think only OOS, but I wouldn't risk it anyways.
Since AI pilots arent checked by the patrol all your illigal wares are safe inside your *other* ship, whether you are in sector or out of sector...

Dragon_Rider
x4

Post by Dragon_Rider » Thu, 3. Feb 05, 11:53

Silvermane wrote:1. Yes.
2. No.
3. I think only OOS, but I wouldn't risk it anyways.
4. Only if you man it yourself, as it normally won't fire at spaceflies on it's own.

It goes like this: you zap the little buggers with an ID, then collect them; they don't show up on the gravidar, though, so you have to keep firing those IDs to locate them properly. Since they don't show up as cargo boxes, the special software won't collect them; also, they "wake up" again after a short while and buzz off.

IMHO, they're best harvested in a Barracuda or a Nova.

-Silver
You also need to get a Spacefly collector from the Split, and they do show up on the Gravidar, as little blue dots, there just not in the list of ships/station etc!
Ben

wellard
x3

Post by wellard » Thu, 3. Feb 05, 12:44

They only show up on the gravidar when stunned and not at all when awake :? .

On balance you rarely have time to harvest much of the swarm (I think about 12 in one go is my record)

If you harvest them in Split space you don't have to worry about patrols as they don't mind in the least.

It would be nice if you could buy a scanner addition that would show spacefly swarms, it would make spacefly hunting a more viable career, or maybe a drone you could launch which attracts them. :twisted:

Finally I have always thought it ironic that the only way to harvest them (available in the game) is to use the Split derided BORON Ion D. Must drive the Split nuts :D and the fact that the Borons pacifistic weapon is the perfect tool for hunting a species they are desperately trying to protect is priceless,

Wellard

Dragon_Rider
x4

Post by Dragon_Rider » Thu, 3. Feb 05, 12:51

Sorry i did mean when they only show up when they are stunned :oops:

To attract them just sit outside a station and wait! i find they come swarming all over my ship and push me along while i'm in my Dragon :shock: all i need is a ship with an IonD and i'll be away :P
Ben

Zathos
x3

Post by Zathos » Thu, 3. Feb 05, 13:31

Annoying little b*ggers who keep getting in the way during battle :evil:

You want to find space flies, just try getting in a big fight :wink:
"A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will all say, we did this ourselves' - Lao Tse (circa 600 BC)

wellard
x3

Post by wellard » Thu, 3. Feb 05, 13:47

Annoying little b*ggers who keep getting in the way during battle

You want to find space flies, just try getting in a big fight
All too true, but try finding them when you want to harvest them, no... not a fly in five sectors :evil:

Wellard

Greyhawk1
x3tc

Post by Greyhawk1 » Thu, 3. Feb 05, 13:53

Spaceflies useless? Not if you do Tour of a Lifetime missions they arent. They are worth an absolute s***load.

Did 3 yesterday and got 2 spacefly bonusses on each mission. Made 10 million credits.

Al
x3tc

Post by Al » Thu, 3. Feb 05, 14:05

Merroc wrote:
Since AI pilots arent checked by the patrol all your illigal wares are safe inside your *other* ship, whether you are in sector or out of sector...
Are you sure about that? I'm sure lots of people have had captured pirate ships killed for carrying illegal goods. I've never actually checked though....

Al
X2 Capture Guru - X3:TC Noob :D
X2 Capture Guide

stu25

Post by stu25 » Thu, 3. Feb 05, 15:27

FYI spaceflies hang around asteroids quite often, easy enough to find if you listen before you see em.
RIGHT ON COMMANDER!

Greyhawk1
x3tc

Post by Greyhawk1 » Thu, 3. Feb 05, 16:12

I watched a swarm of 'flies once using video enhancement goggles. Basically they simply fly in a circular course around the sector. They "follow" your ship when it arrives in a sector and the flies are in range of you.

Sometimes your ship is too fast to encounter spaceflies. My Iguana had to slow down on my TOALT mission so the 'flies could catch up and I got my bonus.

Post by Guest » Thu, 3. Feb 05, 16:30

is it just me or does anyone else find using another species as fuel tasteless? :D

Dragon_Rider
x4

Post by Dragon_Rider » Thu, 3. Feb 05, 16:39

I only use E-cells, i like the Spacefly's :P (altho they can be annoying sometimes, specialy when i'm sitting outside a SPP in my Dragon waiting for my M5 to return with E-cells, i look up from the property list to find they have pushed me halfway across the sector :shock: )
Ben

Graaf
x3tc

Post by Graaf » Thu, 3. Feb 05, 22:14

They are very profitable if you find 2 crates in different stations while just restarted, both containing 9 Spaceflies.
You only have to invest 2000 credit for docking permission in Split Stations.

Carl Sumner
x4

Post by Carl Sumner » Thu, 3. Feb 05, 22:33

rob s wrote:is it just me or does anyone else find using another species as fuel tasteless? :D
Humans can't digest spaceflies, they are too different a life form. But many civilizations have used animal products as fuel, until recently. Thats why the Boron do not like the Split. :wink:
Tinker

"If engineers built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization!"

Storm666
x3tc

Post by Storm666 » Thu, 3. Feb 05, 22:38

Al wrote:
Merroc wrote:

Since AI pilots arent checked by the patrol all your illegal wares are safe inside your *other* ship, whether you are in sector or out of sector...

Are you sure about that? I'm sure lots of people have had captured pirate ships killed for carrying illegal goods. I've never actually checked though....
I think Merroc is right... ships are safe if you dont pilot them yourself... the reports of people ships being attacked whilst carrying illegals is just coincidence.

(/\)arped
x4

Post by (/\)arped » Thu, 3. Feb 05, 22:52

At my point in the game, spaceflies are only good for the engine booster.

But I spose that if I started the game again, they would be good for some small profit.

Then again, the best ships to catch them in are Novas and Barracudas, so if you can afford them, you don't really need the small profit anymore.

Just my opinion. :D

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Fri, 4. Feb 05, 01:36

Storm666 wrote:
Al wrote:
Merroc wrote:

Since AI pilots arent checked by the patrol all your illegal wares are safe inside your *other* ship, whether you are in sector or out of sector...

I think Merroc is right... ships are safe if you dont pilot them yourself... the reports of people ships being attacked whilst carrying illegals is just coincidence.
Merroc is incorrect. Your ships with illegal goods can and will get attacked by police patrols. Not often, about as often as you get scanned, but it does happen. And best of all, they can detect illegal goods in your AI ships from clear across the sector. :P

And it sure ain't coincidence. I've personally witnessed it happen. Undocked a Mercury carrying illegal goods from my TL, and an Argon Disco from the local trading station immediately turned red, halfway across the sector, and flew over and attacked it. Another time, I had called my TL into a sector, and a Boron police Octopus turned red and attacked it. The TL had a couple of spaceflies on board, which I had been using as Engine Booster juice. :wink:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Fri, 4. Feb 05, 01:42

jack morphew wrote:At my point in the game, spaceflies are only good for the engine booster.

But I spose that if I started the game again, they would be good for some small profit.

Then again, the best ships to catch them in are Novas and Barracudas, so if you can afford them, you don't really need the small profit anymore.

Just my opinion. :D
Actually, the best ship for spacefly harvesting is the Orinoco. Larger cargo bay, and you can get one for the taking. And spaceflies are actually quite lucrative. If I happen upon a cloud of them, I'll pause and fry a bunch. I can get a dozen or more in a couple of minutes. And at 3860 a pop at Split factories, that's a nice chunk of change for a few minutes work.

Since my ship of choice is my Super Orinoco, I travel everywhere in it, and happen upon spaceflies all the time. Spaceflies also seem to show up during every battle, so I consider them a combat bonus. :D
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”