This Mining Drill System

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X²: The Threat.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

meestyk
x2

This Mining Drill System

Post by meestyk » Tue, 8. Mar 05, 21:05

I truly fail to understand why someone would make a MDS that has a range of the size of a human (more or less) when a ship equipped with a MDS is the size of a roid (more or less). Collisions are bound to happen and then there's this unfortunate thing;roids rotate and it gets tricky to mine at such a range.

I would make a modification to the MDS range to 3x to 5x. It's possible to mine but there's enormous risks at such short range and very impractical.

An auto mining mod working with this "improved" MDS :idea: would be a great addy, whoever makes it a reality gets a praise from me. :wink:
Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around

The Great Stonk
x3tc

Post by The Great Stonk » Tue, 8. Mar 05, 22:50

never had a problem with mobile mining myself... the laser has a range of 1.2 k's if your hitting the roid its your own fault.

might want to take that space pilots license refresher course 8)

meestyk
x2

Post by meestyk » Tue, 8. Mar 05, 23:49

There is no such thing as a refresh course in piloting, but I'll give it some thought, NOT. Mobile mining with a small ship is ok with an MDS, but with a bigger ship it can be very hazardous.

I still believe that MDS needs a tune up for longer range since a TL can be equipped with one. Those TL are enormous and mining can be tricky when the roids are huge.

The range is actually from the center of the object (asteroid) in respect to the mining ship's MDS. So the bigger the roid the range is actually much closer than stated at 1.5 or so. Thus, the need for an improved MDS.

I stand justified.
Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around

arnak
x3tc

This Mining Drill System

Post by arnak » Wed, 9. Mar 05, 00:01

I tend to agree with meestyk on this point :(

I often use a TL for mining and cannot get a hit at more than 1K.

Usually I have to get down to 600 - 800 mt's to get a regular number of hits, then if the asteroid is an irregular shape it gets a few hits on me! :(

Certainly using a smaller ship is easier but the TL happens to be convenient and the drill can be front mounted.

Arnak
Just remember that Murphy was an optimist!!

i7 4ghz, R290 vid card, 16 gig Ram, W7.

Burianek
x3tc

Post by Burianek » Wed, 9. Mar 05, 01:13

Yeah, I'd tend to agree as well.
It's possible that the devs wanted you to use your smaller ship to mine and carry the ore back to the big ship. I dunno.
"Nature's first green is gold" . . . stay golden.

TSM
Not a Moderator
x4

Post by TSM » Fri, 11. Mar 05, 15:12

I mine with a Mammoth and use Mercury's to collect ore or silicon, Mammoth takes a few hits but you would be extremely unlucky to sustain enough damage to destroy it! and I find if you use Joystick or game pad I give it 25% thrust and then 0% twice my Mammoth will start to back away slowly from the roid debris. or you could even jump to the nearest gate in same sector.
FAQ's Egosoft Interactive FAQ
Egosoft Wiki

3iff
x2

Post by 3iff » Fri, 11. Mar 05, 15:30

When mining, I use the autopilot to get within range. Sometimes with large (not giants with tunnels) the laser blast will 'miss' even though the target is in range, and it will hit if I get closer or further away! This is allowing for the natural bumpiness of some roids.

Each roid type has an optimum range to hit. Very small roids need a range of 200-400m, large need 1.25km to 1.45km (from centre).

Provided I have the autopilot on, I never hit an asteroid. However, I'm not brave/stupid enough to use a TL to mine a roid, so that's something I've never tried.
...locating mandolin strings in the middle of Austin.

TSM
Not a Moderator
x4

Post by TSM » Fri, 11. Mar 05, 15:46

So not doing it the way you do it 3IFF is Supid is it I was merely stating how I do it and that I had never had a problem I suggest to you that you may want to consider winding your neck it in future as I am far from stupid :evil:
Last edited by TSM on Fri, 11. Mar 05, 17:00, edited 2 times in total.
Egosoft Wiki

3iff
x2

Post by 3iff » Fri, 11. Mar 05, 16:23

No no no.

I never said you were stupid...you're brave for trying mining with a TL.

You can mine how you like...there's no need to take that attitude...we're all nice people here...

What's more, I was replying to the thread and my post just happened to follow your post.

TSM
Not a Moderator
x4

Post by TSM » Fri, 11. Mar 05, 17:02

O.k then as the saying goes post in haste repent at leisure :roll:

I did try just, now mining with a modded TS have to say I did not feel very safe as it was a big roid and when It blew it really did :( :lol:
Egosoft Wiki

3iff
x2

Post by 3iff » Fri, 11. Mar 05, 17:57

I suppose mining in a 'small' TS can be a bit frightening after blowing stuff up in a TL. I had the same sort of effect when I blew up a 64 yield small roid and suddenly the screen was full of large roid chunks, all apparently heading my way!

For one moment it looks like you're going to be sandblasted by fragments. I usually mine with as much shielding as I can muster - just in case! I've never yet been destroyed by an exploding asteroid...famous last words.

If anyone enjoys mining in a TL then good luck to them...I think some people don't even like mobile mining!

Carl Sumner
x4

Post by Carl Sumner » Sun, 13. Mar 05, 23:23

If you think it's scary being alongside the asteroid when it blows, try a big one where you have to go inside the tunnels to get close enough to the center to break it. Yikes! :o

As for the mining drill mounted in a TL, just because you Can do something does not necessarily mean it is a good idea! :P

P.S., I think the fragments in the explosion have collision detection turned off. I have never been hit by one. 8)
Tinker

"If engineers built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization!"

TSM
Not a Moderator
x4

Post by TSM » Mon, 14. Mar 05, 00:23

I been playing with Xai automining since friday seems to work ok although one of my TS's did get bad case of oh s@#t where's the nearest shipyard :wink: as for mining with a TL if ya ain't tried it ya a wimp :P
Egosoft Wiki

3iff
x2

Post by 3iff » Tue, 15. Mar 05, 09:12

Going INTO asteroid tunnels IS scary... I've done it a few times but I don't like it. Even tried it once when nebula gas was swirling around. It's really difficult to see where the walls are!

I've not tried mining in a TL and so I must be a wimp. Actually, I almost always buy a Herc, and they have horrible spikes on the front which I think make mining next to impossible...

I use Xai automining and all my mining ships have the TL as their homebase, so when they're done they return home to the TL.

RJV
x3tc

Post by RJV » Tue, 15. Mar 05, 14:54

I just take the Herc in sector, undock the Demeter, blow up the roids, dock, launch Dolphin collectors, dock them, sell.

Nice and straightforward, no messing about.

Carl Sumner
x4

Post by Carl Sumner » Tue, 15. Mar 05, 18:44

TycoonSpaceMan wrote:I been playing with Xai automining since friday seems to work ok although one of my TS's did get bad case of oh s@#t where's the nearest shipyard :wink: as for mining with a TL if ya ain't tried it ya a wimp :P
I ain't tried shooting .270 calibre cartriges in an M-16 either, but that don't make me a wimp. :P

P.S., What happens if you do? Hint: the rifle is no good afterward. :wink:
Tinker

"If engineers built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization!"

TSM
Not a Moderator
x4

Post by TSM » Tue, 15. Mar 05, 19:36

I went into a roid in mines of fortune :o it's a pity that you can hide stuff in them in it :lol: , as for what Carl said :P , and I no longer mine with my TL I only mine remotely so I am a wimp :lol: going to do some nvidium mining soon will be interesting with autominer as I will need a M2 to back it up :roll:
Egosoft Wiki

Carl Sumner
x4

Post by Carl Sumner » Tue, 15. Mar 05, 20:24

I have not tried the automining yet. 8)

I have been playing for a year and never tried mining (except mine stations). I figured at first try I might as well get my hands dusty! :P
Tinker

Return to “X²: The Threat - Scripts and Modding”