gating back to earth

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

who it be a good idea to be able to gate back to earth ?

Poll ended at Mon, 28. Jul 03, 19:23

yes
37%
no
63%

Total votes: 62

Blackknight8x
xr

gating back to earth

Post by Blackknight8x » Sun, 8. Jun 03, 19:23

what do you think about gating back to earth ? is it a good idea or not ?

the poll will be run for 50 days only.
that's life, you live and you learn. you make a choice, sometimes it's right and sometimes it's wrong, but were always learning and it's the learning that shapes the next choice we make in life.
X-3
think, trade, fight, build, explore,
but most of all learn

Etolf
x3tc

Post by Etolf » Sun, 8. Jun 03, 20:28

It's extremely bad... back to earth really means "end of X Universe" as we know it. Imagine what "do gooders", insurance salesmen, solicitors & politicials would do to it!

fireblade
x4

Post by fireblade » Sun, 8. Jun 03, 21:13

are we talking about x2 , or OU here

Etolf wrote:It's extremely bad... back to earth really means "end of X Universe" as we know it. Imagine what "do gooders", insurance salesmen, solicitors & politicials would do to it!
didnt you hear most of them got wiped out during the TF war well insurance salesmen, solicitors & politicials anyway

and the x-universe has plenty of "do gooders" of its own anyway

-TD-13-
x3

I think YES!

Post by -TD-13- » Sun, 8. Jun 03, 21:43

I think they should, and the Brennan should eventually get home. And it doesn't mean the end...in X2 you aren't brennen, you are an X-universe resident. Even if you still have some kind of tie with Brennen in X2 or if there is a permanate gate establised to earth, it opens Earth up to the X universe- new trade, new starships, and new missions, and better technology, from earth. But the x-universe is still pretty cool being isolated and out there, but i think that Brennan should at least go home before he gets too old! Trade and new tech seams cool with earth. But really he HAS to so that he can tell the tales of the X-universe to everyone on Earth and then so the Earth goverment can acidently send all the information in a container back in time, and then so the people who founded egosoft could find the container a create a really great game.... :lol:

Hey! Thats a violation of the Tempral Prime Directive!

crunn
x4

Post by crunn » Sun, 8. Jun 03, 21:44

I say yes.
But not for a while.

Not X2
Not XOU

Maybe X5 or X6
Sort of a conclusion thing, or start of a new chapter/era where Humans are a new species.
Wouldn't that be odd, we discover a strange new alien race called 'Human'.
I wonder what they would be like.

Blackknight8x
xr

Post by Blackknight8x » Sun, 8. Jun 03, 21:55

well it's 50-50 at the mo. hope to find out soon what evryone thinks about it
that's life, you live and you learn. you make a choice, sometimes it's right and sometimes it's wrong, but were always learning and it's the learning that shapes the next choice we make in life.
X-3
but most of all learn

Etolf
x3tc

Post by Etolf » Sun, 8. Jun 03, 22:03

fireblade wrote:are we talking about x2 , or OU here

Etolf wrote:It's extremely bad... back to earth really means "end of X Universe" as we know it. Imagine what "do gooders", insurance salesmen, solicitors & politicials would do to it!
didnt you hear most of them got wiped out during the TF war well insurance salesmen, solicitors & politicials anyway

and the x-universe has plenty of "do gooders" of its own anyway
both... X doesn't need earth... it'd be a distraction...

nods... Argons & Boron... (how I hate that damn queen...) :twisted: :twisted:

Snokid
x2

Post by Snokid » Sun, 8. Jun 03, 22:53

actually it would be cool to have something in x2 but it's nothing significant.

Here's my scenario...

after you defeat the khaak- if that happens at all. they could have a secret cutscene of a Goner satellite station picking up something from an origin that appears to correspond with those of Earth. That's all we get in the cutscene (of course some other things in it but this is the major part of the plot in the cutscene)

anyway, there can be a SUPER secret way to get to Earth, imagine the technology. Earth vessels dont have to be involved in the plot. However, we could sneak in or even just buy terran technology and have the pride of owning something others don't...or probably won't for some time.

of course the thought needs to be expanded but this is just a layout..
:idea:

Mercenary
x3tc

Post by Mercenary » Mon, 9. Jun 03, 14:09

Hmmm, interesting idea...

Based on the original story there are no gates left in the Sol system so the ancients would have to stop by and make one.

Not certain the people of Earth would really appreciate that as it would expose them to the return of the Terraformers (Xenon)...

So to get there should involve the introduction of the "gateless" jumpdrive and a vector heading that the drive can be programmed with but will only work in one particular sector (as everything has to be triangulated about known stars et al.)

Added dimension to the X-Universe would then be to have the ability to travel into new gate 'loops'. Based on pieces of information gleened from ancient star charts and then we have a whole new series of stories... :wink:

Blackknight8x
xr

Post by Blackknight8x » Tue, 10. Jun 03, 15:39

Mercenary wrote:Hmmm, interesting idea...

Based on the original story there are no gates left in the Sol system so the ancients would have to stop by and make one.

Added dimension to the X-Universe would then be to have the ability to travel into new gate 'loops'. Based on pieces of information gleened from ancient star charts and then we have a whole new series of stories... :wink:
so do you think we would at some point we meet the ancients ? I mean they must be in a loop of there own some where right ?
X-3
but most of all learn

Arcus

Post by Arcus » Tue, 10. Jun 03, 15:57

I think that the ancients are no more

Blackknight8x
xr

Post by Blackknight8x » Tue, 10. Jun 03, 16:01

Arconnor wrote:I think that the ancients are no more
if they are no more who opens the new jump gates ?
X-3
but most of all learn

Arcus

Post by Arcus » Tue, 10. Jun 03, 16:11

some race who has the technology of the ancients, the ancients are too ancient to be
if humans could discover the technology of the jumpgates then another race can do that too, without the help of ancients
well the ancients could be like the guys in SG-1 who made the stargates,liveing alone in a distant sector

Mercenary
x3tc

Post by Mercenary » Tue, 10. Jun 03, 16:31

Blackknight8x wrote:
Mercenary wrote:Hmmm, interesting idea...

so do you think we would at some point we meet the ancients ? I mean they must be in a loop of there own some where right ?
It's a good question, some think the UFO's in XT v2.1 belong to the ancients and maintain the gates. Which means they are already there even if you can't talk to them.

I don't know how the translation of Farhams Legend is coming along but I would hope this will explain a lot more than my own guesses.

The ancients can reprogram the jumpgates to change destinations. This to my mind means that they can, almost by remote control, temporarily alter a gates destination to go into another loop when they make their jump having checked that everything in the current loop is fine.

Technology like that would be dangerous particularly in the hands of an all conquering race.. :roll:

Now the Sol system was missed in the initial construction of the gates but discovered the technology by itself. Creating two gates one it kept close to home the other was sent at high speed to Alpha Centauri. With the Terraformer (Xenon) war the Earth gate was destroyed and but the ruined gate is left for all to see in Brennan's Triumph (X-BFT story) .

This means that the scientist on earth know about jumpgates and how to build one. They also know about the gateless jumpdrive so if a pilot gets back to earth and recieves a warm welcome he could get his hands on the technology to then explore the rest of space... The jumpdrive would be able to escape the confines of the closed loop.

To get back to Earth then it should require a detailed scientific analysis of the broken gate, to determine if the co-ordinates of the (destroyed) receiving gate are locked away in the circuits.

Gateless jumpdrive comes next and hey presto you're home....

Just a couple of problems to overcome...

Spero
x3

Post by Spero » Tue, 10. Jun 03, 22:26

I ain't sure, i'll say no. I don't want X to end.

Arcus

Post by Arcus » Tue, 10. Jun 03, 23:22

All things have an end
There are lot of things that i didn't want to end, but they did, everything has to end sometime

-TD-13-
x3

Post by -TD-13- » Tue, 10. Jun 03, 23:26

The X universe dosen't have to end if you get a gate back to earth! Its still there, sure now everyone will have to deal with Earth, with a speices more advanced then the whole lot of aliens, but thats not too bad. I say maybe in a future game, not X2 maybe X3 or X4. Or if they don't even want to make a gate leading back to Earth, at least let Brennan go back home! He went through all of that and now he'll never get home?! I'd sure would feel homesick after 25 years or so! Even just homesick to see Earth again.

Blackknight8x
xr

Post by Blackknight8x » Tue, 10. Jun 03, 23:31

what makes you think X will end if you can gate back to earth ?

in X2 (or so i've read) you play someone else, not bennen, so why would it end ? you would just get better tech. and more thing to trade.
X-3
but most of all learn

Blackknight8x
xr

Post by Blackknight8x » Tue, 10. Jun 03, 23:42

one thing i've been thinking about is how everyone has said how advenced earth is tech. wize, but if you think about it you don't know that for sure. All we do know is that earth built a jumpgate and the x shuttel.

All the parts where from all the other races !!!

so who's to say earth is better in ALL tech. then all the other races that we know in XBTF and X-T ?

Earth may just be better in some parts of tech then the other races are.

if you think about it that way then you could be onto a winner. after all not all the races have the best tech. you have to look around and find the best kit from all the races, true ? :roll:
X-3
but most of all learn

General Morphit
x3

Post by General Morphit » Tue, 10. Jun 03, 23:52

True but earth created the teraformers, and armed themselfs against them. I think earth must be pretty advanced all round. Bear in mind most of the alien cultures didnt exist when earth discovered the gates, so we had one hell of a head start.

*actually i dont think any of the civilizations existed. :| *

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”