X Online

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mintydog
x2

X Online

Post by mintydog » Thu, 17. Mar 05, 10:57

Is there going to be an X online game? im sure i remember reading about it a while ago but i stopped checking the news so does anyone know if there will be an online X game, if there is i cant wait. It would be great to fight in shops with other people to defend your space stations.

Nyax
x3tc

Post by Nyax » Thu, 17. Mar 05, 12:05

There is one planned but it's a VERY long way off, and it's only in the earliest stages.

My guess would be 2007-2008, assuming it's their next project after 'the Return'

mintydog
x2

Post by mintydog » Thu, 17. Mar 05, 12:11

well if they manage to pull it off right its gonna be a brilliant online game.

Deepstar
x2

Post by Deepstar » Thu, 17. Mar 05, 12:15

I expect X-OU in 2013.. after X² now came X³ and then is X-OU.. maybe Egosoft try to develop X³ and X-OU in the same time.. then X-OU came maybe 2008/2009..

soimafreak
x2

Post by soimafreak » Thu, 17. Mar 05, 15:38

i'm really interested in this! development / progress and "stuff"!

where can i get more information ? contribute? etc etc?
Flying around in my disco-mobile
[ external image ]

Scarecrow
x4

Post by Scarecrow » Thu, 17. Mar 05, 15:42

Have you checked out the DevNet Discussion forums?

soimafreak
x2

Post by soimafreak » Thu, 17. Mar 05, 15:44

the what :|
[ external image ]

Scarecrow
x4

Post by Scarecrow » Thu, 17. Mar 05, 15:47

Go to the drop down menu where you select which forum you want to be in and scroll down.

You may need to sign up for DevNet .......at the bottom of your profile.

StarDream Inc
x3

Post by StarDream Inc » Thu, 17. Mar 05, 15:53

mintydog wrote:well if they manage to pull it off right its gonna be a brilliant online game.
That's the key right there.

X2 single player can do with a whole lot of improvements and redesign of subsystems and interface.

To make it work as a successful MMOG with a monthly fee, it will also need some vast improvements and departures from the current design.

Though it is a potential niche market that could work great. If done right. With only Jumpgate, Eve and potentially Star Wars Galaxies to compete in the spacefighter/trading sim MMOG niche, it probably is the MMOG sub category with the least competition of them all.

But bear in mind that Mutable Realms just closed shop and cancelled WISH halfway through Beta test, and while it was an MMORPG (saturated market) it did appear to have what it takes to be one of the BEST MMORPGS on the market so far -- best designed at any rate. Not much word on WHY it went under at such a late stage. My best guess is they weren't able to make it's ambitious design succeed in reality and cancelled prior to a fizzled launch, to avoid losing more millions than had already been invested in its development.

Personally I'd rather see small-scale multiplayer added to the next X2 sequal, rather than a pay-to-play online version. Get 2-4 players into an X-universe and mix it up...

As an MMOG, the game would HAVE to lose it's feel of being in charge of an empire. You simply cannot have 50,000 players who each run a massive space empire.... Hehheheh.

Curse of the genre- an MMOG by its very nature has to give up the single player computer game's driving concept of the player being special, powerful, one of a kind, and an intergalactic hero.

Would X2 seem the same or have the same appeal if you go from being a Magnate/Tycoon to just another small cog in the faceless machine?

Hmmmm.
----------------------------------------------------
Pieces of Eight!
A Pirate's Life for me!
Live free or die,
and ne'er look a bounty hunter in the eye!
-Clutch
-----------------------------------------------------

soimafreak
x2

Post by soimafreak » Thu, 17. Mar 05, 16:01

thanks Scarecrow, will check it out :)
[ external image ]

Graf_Grau
x2

Post by Graf_Grau » Thu, 17. Mar 05, 17:26

following on from StarDream Inc, the danger for X online would be that moving away from the factory empires and fleets of traders and warships will create similarites to EVE. THoug I am sure they will find ways around it.

mintydog
x2

Post by mintydog » Thu, 17. Mar 05, 19:02

Yes i agree witha dding multiplayer elements to X2, that will be the best way to start off. I want to play a game and have the feel you are part of a large co ordinated fleet with missions to accomplish, or maybe there are mother ships and you need a certin rank to control it and carry smaller ships to do battle. So you feel like youre in a star trek or star wars style battle.

Rapier
x3tc

Re: X Online

Post by Rapier » Thu, 17. Mar 05, 19:09

I'm still not clear why we have to fight in shops though? I guess if it's a persistant universe we'd have to be prepared to defend ourselves anywhere.
mintydog wrote:Is there going to be an X online game? im sure i remember reading about it a while ago but i stopped checking the news so does anyone know if there will be an online X game, if there is i cant wait. It would be great to fight in shops with other people to defend your space stations.
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

BigRich
x2

Re: X Online

Post by BigRich » Thu, 17. Mar 05, 19:34

Rapier wrote:I'm still not clear why we have to fight in shops though? I guess if it's a persistant universe we'd have to be prepared to defend ourselves anywhere.
Which is going to be a real pain for the casual player, at least if he/she wants to own anything more than a single ship. For X-online to work for me, there's going to have to be a lot of fun stuff to do in a 'single ship game'. I can't see how online factory owning can work unless you have a lot a free time to spend on the game. And factory owning is my favourite part of the game.

just have to wait and see,

Rich.

soimafreak
x2

Post by soimafreak » Thu, 17. Mar 05, 21:08

well in the same way there will be people that wish to anilate the small newbs there will be those looking for somone to turn into an enemy so they can anilate the anilator! but there's always ways around it in any MMORPG like UO had different realms one you were safe from players unless guilded in the other youw ere safe as long as you could run fast or Whoop ass ;)
[ external image ]

tylium
x2

Post by tylium » Thu, 17. Mar 05, 21:28

well if you make zones like those in eve you dont have to worry as a noob and with the wastness of space that could be created in X say 500000 sectors on a 4 milion people server :lol:
:P somebody did something stupid o no its me :P

RobG
x2

Post by RobG » Thu, 17. Mar 05, 21:30

Personally I'm not sure I like the idea of X2 multiplayer...(gets ready to dodge flak)
The reason is that it would have to be a totally differn't game, think how many ststions most players own, an avarage of about 60 sounds about right to me, so if we had 10 players that would be 600 stations added to the economy, appart from the fact that it'll become hard to fly across a sector for stations, it's also going to screw up the economy and profits will drop.
Also remember no SETA and the universe with all your stations will keep going when your off line.
How annoying would it be that after you've just set up your first spp you log on the next day to discover some other player didn't like the compition with his/her spp so distroyed it while you were off line??
Ok not that realistic a situation but it's an extreme example :P

It's going to be a real job to try to make all the great things in X2 transfur across to a mp game and still be palyable.

soimafreak
x2

Post by soimafreak » Thu, 17. Mar 05, 22:25

with MMORPG's normaly the housing / space stations space is limited to a set amoutn which should allow for balence. at the end of the day players will make good to sell to other players to make profit and so on and so forth it'd be a true economic.

the important thing is that the raw materials are all balanced else what will happen is certain items, materials will just be ignored. The enphasis with all MMORPG's after they ahve the re s cources and the players stuff sorted is to have missions story lines rare items things that add perks to all players fairly.

it would certainly be interesting to see how it's set out. Mainly because there needs to be enough NCP stations and characters that can provide entertainment for low amounts of players for launch and odd hours of the days.

anywho :|
[ external image ]

Nyax
x3tc

Post by Nyax » Thu, 17. Mar 05, 23:20

If X3 is the next game i'll buy it without hesitation (provided i have a PC that's up to it anyway) however i have no intention of ever partaking in X Online.

Redjack
x3

Post by Redjack » Fri, 18. Mar 05, 01:05

I'm probably gonna get lynched for this.

X-Online has already been done. It's called EVE Online.

X is an amazing single player universe, and I hope all future X games are single player. I don't think I'll play an MMO X game.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”