Omicron Lyrae mission - eh? *spoils*

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Greyhawk1
x3tc

Omicron Lyrae mission - eh? *spoils*

Post by Greyhawk1 » Thu, 17. Mar 05, 19:00

What the hell are you supposed to do? Ban Danna is vague to the point of being completely incomprehensible.

There's some nav beacons I see on my screen that you're supposed to do 'something' with though god knows what...

I was flying an Osprey but it looks like that's too big since I always ram the M0 no matter what I try to do.

Am I supposed to blow up the beacons? Fly near them? Offer them some oranges?!

I've tried about 10 times and cant figure out what the chuff I'm supposed to do at all! Give us a clue willya?

I thought the last mission was vague but this one takes the biscuit.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 17. Mar 05, 19:03

Kill as many Khaak as you can until you get a cutscene/message. Then all will be clear. :)

Or are you talking about the 'landing' portion of the mission? If so, you will see little a little yellow marker, where you're supposed to land. Don't use the Osprey though, it's way too big. Use your docked M5.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Greyhawk1
x3tc

Post by Greyhawk1 » Thu, 17. Mar 05, 19:13

I tried using the M5 but as soon as I undocked, the target went so I had no idea what I was supposed to target since it didnt appear on my sector map or anything.

Land? :o

How the hell do you land with it when if you so much as touch another object in X2 you instantly lose a piece of equipment. My Osprey kind of gently rubbed against the side and I lost a GHEPT, Jumpdrive and Docking Comp.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 17. Mar 05, 19:20

Greyhawk1 wrote:I tried using the M5 but as soon as I undocked, the target went so I had no idea what I was supposed to target since it didnt appear on my sector map or anything.

Land? :o

How the hell do you land with it when if you so much as touch another object in X2 you instantly lose a piece of equipment. My Osprey kind of gently rubbed against the side and I lost a GHEPT, Jumpdrive and Docking Comp.
'Landing' is a vague term used to denote stopping within the assigned parameters. :D It's more like 'docking' in this case. There should be a marked platform on the rotating section of the M0 which you need to approach at a slow speed. It's in the narrow center section, and you need to dodge both the rotating arms and the laser beams to approach it. Once you are in the right spot, the cutscene will appear, and you'll receive further instructions. If you're in doubt where to land, look for Saya and Bret and see where they're parked. Your 'parking spot' will be the third vertex of the triangle.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

thrakar
x3

Post by thrakar » Thu, 17. Mar 05, 19:26

Spoiler
Show
I would do it in an M3. The Nav beacons are in the center of the M0 and are rotating around the axis of the ship. You need to line up and land on that beacon to get the cut scene to go. After the cut scene, a bunch more Khaak jump in to attack, so be ready.
Michael Emmert

Greyhawk1
x3tc

Post by Greyhawk1 » Thu, 17. Mar 05, 21:15

Well that was, without doubt, the most frustrating mission I've done in a space game - ever.
Spoiler
Show
It took me over ten more attempts to 'land'. Finally managing it only to get the dumb "shoot stuff off something else" type mission. Tried the traditional approach of chasing them round the ship - always crashed into the M0 no matter what. Tried Hornets - always hit the M0 not the 'generators' so tried just sitting still some way off and letting the targets come to me. That worked.

Last one generated many Khaak just as I managed to ice it. One M3 nearly took out my Nova as a I accelerated. Lost about 30% hull there plus some equipment.

When they said I had to land again I was all for just quitting the game and forgetting it. I couldnt believe they asked me to do that same cr*p yet again.

Another ten (or more) attempts al re-landing without crashing followed. I finally manage to land and let out a sigh of relief since Ban already said the Khaak would lose orientation if Kyle gets free.

Welcome to the land of complete b*ll*cks as all the M3's that were still around continued attacking without any respite. I had to jump out strafeing wildly, to another jumpgate to get away from the M3's who were all firing on me at once. Lost yet more hull.

Yada yada I had to call in my Zeus so I could limp home with what was left of my Nova. Cleared up with the Zeus.

All in all I reckon it took me around 25 to 30 attempts to complete this mission. I dont even know if it IS complete since I got no cutscene - just Ban going on about Saya being OK and that was it. Tried talking to him back in AP on the Argon One but he just ignores me.
Have I finished the plot? :? What happens now?

Greyhawk1
x3tc

Post by Greyhawk1 » Thu, 17. Mar 05, 22:25

Aha...got it. Needed to kill ALL the Khaak in OL first. Hey ho...finished the plot.
Spoiler
Show
That last testament from Bret was really poignant. Game feels kinda empty now...dont know why. Weird...

Martin J
x2

Post by Martin J » Thu, 17. Mar 05, 22:30

Yes, your done. One more thing thats plot related - the 'Tribute to Bret', Movie... But yes that's it, until X2-The Return.

I agree it was a pain... I've found however, (having started again 3 times), that its easier to do second time around.

Martin J

Greyhawk1
x3tc

Post by Greyhawk1 » Thu, 17. Mar 05, 23:13

I needed more story extension than that Bret movie gave. I wanted to finally meet my father since Bret gave his life to save him and I'd risked mine. I'm suprised they didnt do a closure screen for all the main characters.

What the hell happened to Elena? I hope that X2:TR puts some closure on these story elements. As it is, it finishes just like HL2 did - in the middle and without any reasonable plot conclusions.

I thought the characters were pretty well done for such a short story. It could have gone on for a little longer IMO.

Martin J
x2

Post by Martin J » Thu, 17. Mar 05, 23:32

The 'Bret Movie' does collect all of the game's main characters together, (5 in total, wow), with the exception of your farther, no doubt that the 2 missions in X2-TR will attend to that...

The movie pulls them all so close in fact that Sayo Kho is 'clinging' to your arm as though you're already wed... (How bizarre)
The Big Ban Danna is also having a good ol' rub down from Elena Kho too, we must have just missed the parts where the room was filled with love... Where on Earth, (pun on words), did that come from???
:lol:

Martin J

Greyhawk1
x3tc

Post by Greyhawk1 » Thu, 17. Mar 05, 23:39

Never noticed Elena there...good job Mi Ton didnt join the party...

Martin J
x2

Post by Martin J » Thu, 17. Mar 05, 23:57

good job Mi Ton didnt join the party
:lol:
Probably because he didn't have a lift and would let you, (the player), drive.

Just think you stole all the equipment from the express and from the Hydra, I assume... :P

Martin J

Bowden

Er and afterwards

Post by Bowden » Fri, 18. Mar 05, 00:08

Not that I want to put you off or anything but after you've docked - I used a Nova which worked pretty well you've got to destroy these nodes that are set in recesses in the M) that revolve... Hard?? Oooohhhh yes...

Mind you I didn't have any missiles....
Building the MoneyFunster of all trade loops in Argon Prime - Drone Factory/Mosquito Missile and Laser Tower.....

Greyhawk1
x3tc

Post by Greyhawk1 » Fri, 18. Mar 05, 00:36

I *did* have missiles and a Nova. Missiles were useless since they just impacted on the side of the M0. Had to just use BHEPTS.

Redjack
x3

Post by Redjack » Fri, 18. Mar 05, 00:38

Heh, I got tired of trying, too. So I left the system. Something neat happens if you stay away too long.

Bowden

Post by Bowden » Fri, 18. Mar 05, 00:44

Elena does a dance..????
Building the MoneyFunster of all trade loops in Argon Prime - Drone Factory/Mosquito Missile and Laser Tower.....

Redjack
x3

Post by Redjack » Fri, 18. Mar 05, 00:46

Something to do with fireworks. Really big ones.

Kurios Kronou
x3

Post by Kurios Kronou » Fri, 18. Mar 05, 01:05

I thought the game felt kinda empty after finishing the plot too. Very Bizarre, like someone real had died or I had no mates or something. I had to stop playing the game for at least, oh, 2 hours to recover!

I did notice Saya getting kinda chummy - I guess seeing as Jules is heir to TerraCorp, and has a bigger outfit than his dad anyway, makes him quite a catch! I expect we'll see sprogs in The Return....?

"Dad, Dad....can I take the Herc out...I want to splat Borons.....?"

Greyhawk1
x3tc

Post by Greyhawk1 » Fri, 18. Mar 05, 01:27

Personally I think its because these characters in the game are the *only* people you see in the entire game. Bret being the longest running of them all.

Now the plot has finished there's no-one left really to actually talk to anymore. Just the stock people who inspect your ship and the odd bod who you can comm - all saying the same stuff.

Would be nice to have the odd communique from Saya or Ban asking how I'm doing and offering the odd BBS mission or two - just to show you they are still there.

Kurios Kronou
x3

Post by Kurios Kronou » Fri, 18. Mar 05, 02:13

I agree. It would keep that 'personal factor' in engaging with the game.

Having said that, you do get over it. I've stopped putting flowers on Bret's grave now...it took time, but I got there....

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”