NEWS: Egosoft announces X³: Reunion, under development

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Bernd
Site Admin
Site Admin
x4

NEWS: Egosoft announces X³: Reunion, under development

Post by Bernd » Thu, 17. Mar 05, 21:58

EGOSOFT today announces the beginning of a new era for the X series of space combat/trading games. The planned expansion for the award winning PC CDROM title, X²: THE THREAT known as X²: THE RETURN has been cancelled. Quarter three 2005 will herald the launch of the ‘next generation’ of X game, in the form of X³: REUNION, the first multi format product, set in the X universe.

During the creation of X²: THE RETURN, a secondary team was tasked with the development of a state of the art X engine, with the power and flexibility to bring the concepts EGOSOFT and the fan community have envisaged to life. Many of these creations were not possible with the existing X² engine and consideration to ‘space’ features had to be made. The near completion of the X³ engine within 2005 would allow EGOSOFT the creative freedom they desired, with no loss of content and give players an unparalleled game experience.

X³: REUNION immerses the player into the most realistic, living universe, ever experienced. Extensive development has gone into the X³ engine, making full use of DirectX 9 technology, to create dramatic visual effects and stunningly realistic starships. The economy model in X³: REUNION is more complex than any previous X game. Coupled with the massively enhanced A.L. (Artificial Life) system, X³: REUNION will present players with an ever changing, evolving universe; where a player’s actions really can shape the future of the universe. Community involvement has been extensive, throughout the development process and the launch of X³: REUNION will see many innovative fan creations in the final retail game.

X³: REUNION will also be the first chance for players to experience the thrills of deep space trading on a format other than PC, with the launch of a console version (TBA). Technical details on the enormity of X³: REUNION will be released in coming weeks.

“X³: REUNION will see another huge leap in the evolution of space trading games” said Bernd Lehahn, CEO EGOSOFT. “The decision to bring X³ forward, allows for many community ideas to be implemented. X² set a bench mark to be beaten. X³: REUNION will surpass this in every way possible.”

Published by DEEP SILVER, developed by EGOSOFT and distributed exclusively by KOCH MEDIA, X³: REUNION is set for launch Q3 2005.

Quotes from the developer community:

"The transition from X2 - The Return to X3 could not have come at a better time for Egosoft. Allowing us to fully realise both our own dreams of the X universe, as well as giving those who matter to us the most, our players, the chance to see X as it was truly meant to be. It\'s been a long journey, truly wondrous in its nature, but finally, the beginning has come an end. It's time to show the world OUR world. It's time to show you X3!" - Ivan Tefalco

"What Egosoft has shown here is that their ideas and concepts were much too large to fit into a mere "expansion pack". Only a full out game could quench the thirst of their fans and the developers themselves. I think this is a brilliant move by Egosoft. This game journeys down new roads and takes steps in new directions- and is truly massive- only a sequel could do the job." - Tristan D. Fisher

“The plot is so much bigger, with so much more going on, that it's like a feature film... with X2 like a trailer.” - Brian Ronald

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

Unstickied - Abyss

Bernd
Site Admin
Site Admin
x4

Announcement of X3: REUNION

Post by Bernd » Fri, 18. Mar 05, 00:33

Hello everybody,

Today we can announce a rather dramatic change of plan for the future of the X universe. The planned expansion product X²: The Return will be cancelled. Instead a full new game called X³: REUNION will be released in Q3 2005.

Most of the announced features of X²: The Return will also be part of X³: REUNION, but of course X³: REUNION is far more than just a new name for the old expansion.

We have been working on two products in parallel for quite a while already. X³ was always planned as the larger step to follow the release of X²: The Return. Most importantly X³ would bring a new and largely improved graphics engine and a lot of new graphical content. But also a lot of game features which were not possible inside a savegame compatible expansion product would have been saved for X³.

During the past months however it became more and more obvious, that the best result would be achieved by releasing one really superior product instead of an expansion which could do many things only half way, and then a new game relatively short after that.

A lot of details about X³: REUNION will be posted throughout the next few weeks, but let me start with a short overview of some of the most important areas:

Universe design:
X³:REUNION will allow much more dramatic changes to the map of the universe than would otherwise would have been possible. Sectors will look significantly different from what you are used to. More details about this shortly.

Economy:
We are now able to completely redesign prices and productivity relations of factories. A new team of programmers from devnet put together a great concept for a modified economy and we can now combine this with some innovations to greatly improve the complexity of the X universe economy. Part of this project is also to allow much greater modifications in the universe. A war can now destroy factories and the game will automatically find measures to put the economy back into a balance...

Graphic engine:
We plan to greatly improve the visual look of the X universe. Our new completely Direct X 9 based graphic engine will allow much higher detailed objects and usage of shaders for special effects.

User Interface:
The user interface is another important reason for the move towards X³:REUNION. As you may have read in some interviews already, we have been experimenting with new menus and innovative ways to control the game. Many of these concepts however would not have been possible inside the X²: The Return framework. Everything would have had to remain compatible with the ways of X².

These are just some of the most important features. More details will be posted in the official press statements by Deep Silver and Enlight today. Even more will follow throughout the next few weeks.

We hope you understand the reasons for this move and support it.

-Bernd

JonHandby
xr

Post by JonHandby » Fri, 18. Mar 05, 01:18

News Active: More News and information will follow in this thread.

The_Abyss
x3

Post by The_Abyss » Fri, 18. Mar 05, 01:21

:thumb_up:
Strung out on Britain's high, hitting an all time low

-TD-13-
x3

Post by -TD-13- » Fri, 18. Mar 05, 01:24

Looks great! :D :thumb_up:

Logaan
x4

Post by Logaan » Fri, 18. Mar 05, 01:28

:o :) :D :thumb_up:

X2TT sounded like a new game anyway

soimafreak
x2

Post by soimafreak » Fri, 18. Mar 05, 01:29

Cool, sounds like a good decision!

really looking forward to it now :D
Flying around in my disco-mobile
[ external image ]

Noahthez
x3

Post by Noahthez » Fri, 18. Mar 05, 01:30

Sounds good. The pictures are very nice. I sure it will be as good as they say. :x2:

Miklatov
x2

Post by Miklatov » Fri, 18. Mar 05, 01:35

wow!

What more can I say! :D
Mogul 94%
CA 1st Grade 43%
M1 0 M5 4
M2 3 M6 5
M3 ~10 TS Loads
M4 1 TL 2
Factories: 22xGPPC, 2xBPPC, 1xAPPC, 1x125MW, 1x25MW, 1xAmmo & 2xSpaceweed loops
Credits: 22 Million
Caps: 3 Dragon (2 destroyed), 1 Osprey

Apoch
x3

Post by Apoch » Fri, 18. Mar 05, 01:39

Noahthez wrote:I sure it will be as good as they say.

Nah.

It will be better ;)
M. "Apoch" Lewis
EGOSOFT Programmer
(and Holy Prophet of Douglas Adams)

caveman-done-good
x2

Post by caveman-done-good » Fri, 18. Mar 05, 01:59

Its a logical choice if for no other reason than to moot the arguments about save game compatability.

Must start pulling some overtime to get a new machine :D

DarthVain
x3tc

Post by DarthVain » Fri, 18. Mar 05, 02:06

Best move I've seen yet. Will my computer handle it though!!!

Scarecrow
x4

Post by Scarecrow » Fri, 18. Mar 05, 02:33

Very cool :D

....nice Dyson Ring, too.

Storm666
x3tc

Post by Storm666 » Fri, 18. Mar 05, 02:48

Eh! wft? eh? ahhhh! COOL. :thumb_up:

Guess i'll have to wait longer now :(

cf_nz
x3

Post by cf_nz » Fri, 18. Mar 05, 03:46

Cool.

I'm also pretty sure I'll be able to wait the extra months.

sq_paradox
x4

Post by sq_paradox » Fri, 18. Mar 05, 05:15

I'm not sure whether to cry or rejoice. Bit of both I guess: longer wait for better things to come.
Last edited by sq_paradox on Fri, 18. Mar 05, 06:07, edited 1 time in total.

Golden_Gonads
x3tc

Post by Golden_Gonads » Fri, 18. Mar 05, 05:20

I was fed up as it was with the lack of news about the expansion as the supposed release date approached. With this bit of news, I doubt I'll even bother with X3. Whilst I think X2 is 'A damned good game', the recent attitude of the mods ('Its out when its out stop asking ANY questions about it, we're fed up') has made me say categorically 'Sod it, I'' go elsewhere for my gaming needs'... Looks like my prophecy a month or two back has partly come true...

So as a closing statement I will simply say:

Sod it.

--

Goldenus Gonadius

bladeuk
x3tc

Post by bladeuk » Fri, 18. Mar 05, 05:23

:o hmmm, spose i better go cancel my pre-order of the return then :D

lemmingsrock
x2

Post by lemmingsrock » Fri, 18. Mar 05, 05:28

I think its great.

I was looking forward to The Return, but a Q3 release of something even better, with a new graphics engine to boot? woooohooooo!!!!!!!

I am happy. :)

Deano_TIK
x3

Post by Deano_TIK » Fri, 18. Mar 05, 05:30

i guess the plus side to this is that when X3 is released (can..someone flash me the release date?, if there is one? if it risks getting flamed forget it) i'll actually start on the same grounds with you all-from the beginning.

i joined here, as you can see, in janruary (this year) so i was a bit late to the game, which kinda sucks as ive actually just started getting an empire going, so, i dunno, it just seems pointless to carry on.

*laughs at people bragging thier ranks in thier signatures* teehee, you'll lose that when X3 is out! (if you buy it that is)

edit:

well...worth a try:

please dont make it too complicated or too easy :P
i aint got no watchamacallit

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”