Carriers are usless in price/performance!

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

nilof
x3

Carriers are usless in price/performance!

Post by nilof » Sun, 3. Apr 05, 15:33

well, i just compared 3 hercs to 1 condor, immagine a fight between them, all
completely filled with KM3s, who wins? the hercs!

3 hercs are cheaper then 1 condor, are faster, if 1 is destroyed the enemy usually dont have time to take a second down and the herc is easyly remplaced.3x hercs have over 30.000 units cargo...

as the 3 TLs have 1 dock port each, they deploy ships 3x faster...

3 hercs are , as said chaper, and 3x hercs can carry more.

3x 27= 81! the raptor can carry more then 3 hercs but will never deploy them all in time.

so, what is the purpose of an M1?
{someone didn't observe the rules on signature sizes and lost their signature ;) - CBJ}

terrabyte
x3

Post by terrabyte » Sun, 3. Apr 05, 15:37

• A lot of people use them as mobile HQs with their favorite ships,

I use the Argon One for that purpose, they are not for combat, the M2's are for that. 8)
"I've seen things, you people wouldn't believe, hmmm."

Who am I :?: , I am but the sum of my experiences… and today I am more than I was yesterday. :goner:

nilof
x3

Post by nilof » Sun, 3. Apr 05, 15:47

for HQ duties, the TLs make a much more price effective job, as they have
more cargosapce then any of the M1s .

and 3x hercs can hold 21 more ships then a condor (wich is usually considdered to be the best HQ) for a lower price.
{someone didn't observe the rules on signature sizes and lost their signature ;) - CBJ}

DJ Die
Moderator (České)
Moderator (České)
x4

Post by DJ Die » Sun, 3. Apr 05, 15:49

nilof wrote:for HQ duties, the TLs make a much more price effective job, as they have
more cargosapce then any of the M1s .

and 3x hercs can hold 21 more ships then a condor (wich is usually considdered to be the best HQ) for a lower price.
if u dont like condor buy collusus its great

nilof
x3

Post by nilof » Sun, 3. Apr 05, 16:09

sorry, 5x hercs is cheaper then 1 collossus and has a slightly higher ship bay,

_______________________________________________________-
and the higher the price, the moer cargo you get by buying TL instead,
argon colossus.......2.900 cargo.
5 x hercs ..............65.000 cargo.

when it comes to condor,
tealdi condor...........................6.900 cargo.
3x hercs ...............................39.000 cargo.

cargo is important for equipping ships.
__________________________-
ships:

argon colossus.....................130 ships
5x hercs ..............................135 ships

for condor,
teladi condor ..........................60 ships
3x hercs ................................81 ships
and 5x hercs deploy a LOT faster then 1 colossus.
____________________________________-
the carriers should have better speed ,shields, deploy speed,and the ability to partially repair ships.

Myo
x3

Post by Myo » Sun, 3. Apr 05, 16:17

The deploy speed is certainly a problem for all ships. There should be more docking tubes and a faster undock rate for things like Carriers to make it worth using them AS Carriers rather than Mobile HQs.
[ external image ]
My X2 Ship, Station and Equipment Calculation Table
X3 Ship, Station and Equipment Calculation Table Coming Soon!

terrabyte
x3

Post by terrabyte » Sun, 3. Apr 05, 16:27

• Later on in the game, when money does not matter any more, (currently 1.5 billion) I go for looks and good specs, cheapest has never figured in my games, I go for what I want, no more no less.

You can use a TL or a box with engines of any sort, and some are cheap enought for early on in the game, it's all preference, I just choose to hang out for the most expensive, or best ones I like, just a bit more effort, but worth it.
"I've seen things, you people wouldn't believe, hmmm."

Who am I :?: , I am but the sum of my experiences… and today I am more than I was yesterday. :goner:

nilof
x3

Post by nilof » Sun, 3. Apr 05, 16:35

i know, but several hercs make better HQs then 1 M1.

this is ok, the problem is that they crush the M1s in combat situations too :shock: !

this game needs better carriers. ok, the TLs being good at equipping things on ships, carrying a lot and being cheaper is obvious in any SI-FI space game, but hell, dont make them out class the real carriers in combat siuations AND HQ!

the carriers sould realy be able to deploy fast , REPAIR ships AND have MORE SHIELDS! the carriers should have a special scondary container for
shields/weps/missiles only.a little more ships in the bay should be appreciated 2 .

Edit: i have shown that sveral TLs are better then 1 M1.
the colossus is good for taking ships, but it tkes a helluva long time to unload them. having enough cargo to equip ships is a must.

if you are capping and lose a TL in khakk teritory, you wont realy be furtrated you loose 30 ships with it at most, with a carrier, you may loose 80 + ships, and 80 KM3s are a LOT.

Red Spot
x3

Post by Red Spot » Sun, 3. Apr 05, 17:23

I agree .. for the same price you have an M2 .. wich could do the same damage .. without causing any lagg on slower systems ..

nilof
x3

Post by nilof » Sun, 3. Apr 05, 17:44

nah, a rapid developed fleed of 50+ KM3s are more powerful then 1 m2,
especially faster against fighters, but an M2 is bettter then an M1 i agree.
i agree on the lag prob to, i am givng up protecting my sectors with 50+ stations with carriers, i hate xenon invasion missions in my home sector :shock: , the lag is insane, i usually tell my carriers, to leave my sectors and
jump them in later.or, i simply dont accept them(better idea).

TerrorTrooper
x4

Post by TerrorTrooper » Sun, 3. Apr 05, 17:52

The Only Carrier i can possibly justify buying is the condor, as a mobile homebase and store.. (that looks slightly cooler than a herc)
i use a herc till i can get a condor usually...

i can only barely justify the condor.. i dont see any point in the other carriers..

ProditorCado
x3

Post by ProditorCado » Sun, 3. Apr 05, 18:01

Well, this is assuming that you drop the fighters in the sector in the engagement. I'd drop my fighters in the sector next door then have them fly in, all deployed.

And yes, 5 Hercs might have more docking than 1 M1, but they will consume 5x the energy while jumping, then you'd have to manage 5 ships in a combat situation, and we all know how effective the AI is.

nilof
x3

Post by nilof » Sun, 3. Apr 05, 18:31

nah, they Can stand still, the lack of turrets is easily made up by
the destuctive power of the KM3s 8) you can afford to stand still,jump 'em out if they are in trouble., however,
most people use M1s as HQs, and i have just shown that the hercs are a lot better at that. when it comes to jumping, you should have seen the differece between 5x hercs and a colossus.and i still have some energy cell loops just to support my jump fleet of Ks. so whats the diff? the buying price is better,
AND they can set up some loops as you go :) .

DJ Die
Moderator (České)
Moderator (České)
x4

Post by DJ Die » Sun, 3. Apr 05, 19:52

the prob of this game is they made M1 class unnecessary
also M2 are quite weak if u played freespace there would be any M2 from X2 as big as smaller cruiser battleships are 10 times bigger in freespace and much stronger w/ their own fighters i would recomend to make new class that would be strong as at least 4 M2s and had fighter bay as at least 2 carriers

Legion400
x2

Post by Legion400 » Mon, 4. Apr 05, 01:11

DJ Die wrote:the prob of this game is they made M1 class unnecessary
also M2 are quite weak if u played freespace there would be any M2 from X2 as big as smaller cruiser battleships are 10 times bigger in freespace and much stronger w/ their own fighters i would recomend to make new class that would be strong as at least 4 M2s and had fighter bay as at least 2 carriers

I think thats called a M0 :roll:
My Roid Table: Special Thx to Greyhawk for hosting
http://gr3yh4wk.50megs.com/Files/Table% ... 20v1.2.rar

Greyhawk1
x3tc

Post by Greyhawk1 » Mon, 4. Apr 05, 02:01

Capships arent supposed to be practical. They're supposed to be fun and a bit of a larf for people willing to keep to the game. Lets face it, you can do the entire plot in a Nova in the end.

I guess Ego just let you fly them because they could. There is absolutely nothing at all in X2 that can take out a capship in out-of-sector (other than a hull eating nebula maybe).

Me? I just collect them. Just missing a Shark for now. Got all the other M1's & 2's apart from a Xenon K.

A Raptor is my mothership for no other reasons than the ship capacity and speed. Got about 50 ships in mine.

Duriel_LOP
x4

Post by Duriel_LOP » Mon, 4. Apr 05, 03:19

yea, The United States carriers, dont have huge cannons for deploying massive projectiles, all an aircraft carrier in reallife has is a big runway and anti air turrets, not much offensive capability besides the jets.

You guys seem to be wanting an MO class ship, a Battleship

A Battleship is designed for throwing massive amounts of carnage around the place, whereas it would have very few dockin ports, because most room would be taken up for engines and weaponry and ammo.

A Carrier is not a Battleship.
HAR HAR HAR, It be here!!!!

"There shall be wings! If the accomplishment be not for me, 'tis for some other. The spirit cannot die; and man, who shall know all and shall have wings..." - Leonardo da Vinci

cheeseburger

Post by cheeseburger » Mon, 4. Apr 05, 13:36

I have a TL as mobile resupply and gas station (AKA energy cells) with docked M3 crafts with all common upgrades. If I'm in a combat situation and need quick resupply, I call it and transfer what I need.

BROWN14UK
x3tc

Post by BROWN14UK » Mon, 4. Apr 05, 14:41

the m1 is crap. i like the m2 better

HCFC
x3tc

Post by HCFC » Mon, 4. Apr 05, 15:02

The original post was detailing combat between 3 hercs and an M1. Now lets imagine how long three hercs will last against a zeus with psgs. Hell the thing doesnt even need to use fighters its the second most powerful ship in the game.
"Smoke me a Kipper...
...I'll be back for breakfast"

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”