The Boron Shark

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

MGA
x2

The Boron Shark

Post by MGA » Tue, 26. Apr 05, 20:00

A work of art this one. However I'm not sure what the "twirly things" on this rig are called.

Any ideas?
A new rig is in my hands now if only there was time...

Mr-Luminous
x2

Post by Mr-Luminous » Tue, 26. Apr 05, 20:15

I dont know either but i cant see what purpose they can serve in space :?

MGA
x2

Post by MGA » Tue, 26. Apr 05, 20:35

Consider the Trading stations, they rotate to provide an artificial gravity.

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Tue, 26. Apr 05, 20:43

Aren't Boron ships designed to work underwater as well as in space? I suppose they're some kind of underwater propulsion system?

andrewas
x3tc

Post by andrewas » Tue, 26. Apr 05, 21:09

Boron engines can work underwater, they dont need seperate propulsion. The Orca is shown underwater, as are a number of smaller vessels, all using their conventional drive.

And artificial gravity seems unlikely, characters are shown under gavity while in non rotating sections of stations. Also, the Boron are aquatic, gravity probably isnt a major thing for them.

Probably, the Shark and the Ray have rotating sections purely for aesthetic reasons.

Jon Tetrino
x4

Post by Jon Tetrino » Tue, 26. Apr 05, 21:15

Its all based on each individual races history and culture.

The boron ships probably have those moving parts as an echo of Boron submarine design before the developement of the Boron space technology, where propellers were most likely the main method of propulsion.

Excuse my crappy spelling if i have spelt some words wrong.

Harpo
x3

Post by Harpo » Tue, 26. Apr 05, 21:33

yep its for use under water, the only boron ships, that dont show any watery trait are the baracuda ther tp and the mako unless you tip it on its side and use it as a Hydrofoil :lol: In the cut seen on the second mission ive always thought the big ships looked like wales swiming about

Jon Tetrino
x4

Post by Jon Tetrino » Tue, 26. Apr 05, 21:36

i was watching Farscape season one and the way that the team behind the series defined one of the ships in the program as a sorta "giant space whale" (they were talking about Moya for those who know).

Now apply that to most boron ships and u get a similar impression!

MGA
x2

Post by MGA » Tue, 26. Apr 05, 21:42

andrewas wrote:And artificial gravity seems unlikely, characters are shown under gavity while in non rotating sections of stations. Also, the Boron are aquatic, gravity probably isnt a major thing for them.
According to the Argonopedia, the trading stations were based on an old style before artificial gravity could be established without a station needing to rotate.

Jon Tetrino
x4

Post by Jon Tetrino » Tue, 26. Apr 05, 21:56

where is the Argonopedia??

MGA
x2

Post by MGA » Tue, 26. Apr 05, 22:02

Enlightened One wrote:where is the Argonopedia??
You've not heard of the Argonopedia?

http://argonopedia.ppcis.org/

Jon Tetrino
x4

Post by Jon Tetrino » Tue, 26. Apr 05, 22:03

not that ive never eard of it, i just didn't know where it was on the web!

cheers

MGA
x2

Post by MGA » Tue, 26. Apr 05, 22:07

No trouble old bean. Now if only there was a name for those "things." Should the term "Propellers" be used? Or how about "Turbines" or "Impellers?"

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Tue, 26. Apr 05, 22:27

If the term's being used in conjunction with shipping, I believe it's actually properly called a "screw", although everyone calls the twirly thing at the back a propeller! :)

MGA
x2

Post by MGA » Tue, 26. Apr 05, 22:31

The term screw is used somewhere, just don't know entirely. Is it the impeller you mean?

Jon Tetrino
x4

Post by Jon Tetrino » Tue, 26. Apr 05, 22:36

no, its 'screw' - based on the archemedies screw idea, running to give a continuous push of water. In many ways more effective than a propeller.

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Tue, 26. Apr 05, 22:38

I may be wrong here - hydrodynamics being somethign I've really been meaning to read up on for ages, but not having the spare time :) , but isn't an impeller part of a pump?

Jon Tetrino
x4

Post by Jon Tetrino » Tue, 26. Apr 05, 22:43

basically, yes. An impellor is a fan in a sealed watertight unit, used on pumps and in jet boat propusion.

propellors are the fans that are not sealed.

MGA
x2

Post by MGA » Tue, 26. Apr 05, 22:45

Enlightened One wrote:no, its 'screw' - based on the archemedies screw idea, running to give a continuous push of water. In many ways more effective than a propeller.
D'oh! How could one forget that screw!
swin wrote:I may be wrong here - hydrodynamics being somethign I've really been meaning to read up on for ages, but not having the spare time :) , but isn't an impeller part of a pump?
I'm sure there is one, it was a worm pump or maybe a screw pump.

Blimey is that the time? Well I must depart you all and head off for some shut-eye, see you all tomorrow when hopefully the answer to this "What the smeg are those things attached to the Boron Shark called?" will come. Although the answer could be staring me in the face.

Edit- Enlightened One you beat me to the impeller thing! Double D'oh!

Nystalux
x2

Post by Nystalux » Tue, 26. Apr 05, 22:47

Cement Mixer???

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”