NEWS: X³: Reunion - First Details

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

NEWS: X³: Reunion - First Details

Post by CBJ » Wed, 27. Apr 05, 21:48

BASINGSTOKE, England (April 27th 2005) – Having announced the development of X³: REUNION; sequel to the award winning 2004 PC CD-ROM space combat/trading game, X²: THE THREAT, EGOSOFT today unveils some of the key aspects to the game, which will define X³ as a ‘bench mark’ in the space combat/trading genre. Set for launch quarter three 2005 on PC DVD-ROM, and as yet, undisclosed console version is also currently under development, estimated at a quarter four release. Both versions will be released in Europe by publisher, DEEP SILVER.

[ external image ] [ external image ] [ external image ]

X³: REUNION continues to lead the way in offering players the ultimate open ended game play experience, backed by an addictive storyline and intense combat/trading action. Utilising the ‘X³ Reality’ engine, the universe has been massively increased, both in terms of size and visual presentation. Over 200 newly designed models, including factories, stations and star ships await the player, across a universe of over 10,000 interactive objects. X²: THE THREAT established the principles of; FIGHT, TRADE, BUILD & THINK and these are at the core of the X³ experience.

Combat A.I. has been improved to take all ship classes into account and will challenge players; from individual dog fights to commanding full-scale fleets against massive enemy armadas. A new array of weapon systems give increased choice and tactics for any situation, while the multiple threat targeting system makes the player a force to be reckoned with. Rebalanced fighter classes make any encounter a challenge for players of all levels.

X³: REUNION introduces a new economy system, dynamically reactive in pricing relative to supply and demand. Players benefit from flexible factory capacity, new products to manufacture and a variety of ship classes for trade. The new management interface allows for improved realism and ease of use, as negotiations of product prices with NPC game characters can occur, in addition to quoted prices based on availability.

The evolved and larger universe gives the player more freedom to create their ultimate trade empire. Varied sector sizes allow player and NPC factories to be positioned three dimensionally, while A.I. behaviour lets the player experience the destruction of factories through race wars and natural disasters, triggering competition for the player with A.I. NPC factories. Budding trade entrepreneurs can interconnect factories to create huge space borne complexes, to truly mass produce the commodities a universal economy demands.

A professional screen-written story line can be followed or ignored by the player, in the complete freedom of a sprawling, ‘free roaming’ universe. Every action of the player has a consequence upon the surrounding universe and the characters within. Missions tailor for players of all levels, acting as both a challenge for the experienced and a learning curve for the novice. Game starting positions allow players to choose different career paths, for any of the universe’s species. Hollywood voice talent adds to the movie feel of the game and brings a universe of characters to life.

Technical Features
  • X³: REUNION engine utilises the very latest DirectX 9 graphical technology; 2.0 pixel shader technology is used to create realistic reflections across a variety of surface types, while bump maps and specular maps add detail to the geometry of objects.
  • A freshly developed economy system allows for more imaginative ways to conquer your foes via commerce. Functions using established business models of ‘Elasticity of demand’, ‘Economies of scale’ and ‘Return on investment’. Factories are constructed by non player characters, which can freely trade; wars in sectors affect the universal economy, while opportunities bring challenges to both novice and experienced players.
  • Over 200 newly designed models have been created for X³, penned by professional artists. Star ship detail has been massively increased; implementation through the new Reality engine gives an increase in detail of up to 10 times.
  • A new graphical user interface prevents screen obstruction and allows for faster access to all game options.
  • Completely redesigned X universe, with new high detailed environments including asteroid fields, dense gaseous nebulae, and much more. Players can fly much closer to planetary bodies; where space stations can hang in low planetary orbits.
  • A multitude of new technologies and weapons systems, make the player even more devastating in combat; multi threat tracking system allows for numerous objects to be pin pointed simultaneously.
  • Controllable via joystick, keyboard and mouse cursor; all are fully re-mappable giving the player infinite choice over control layout, which can be stored as custom profiles.
Published by DEEP SILVER, developed by EGOSOFT and distributed exclusively in Europe by KOCH MEDIA and in North America by ENLIGHT, X³: REUNION is set for launch Q3 2005

Galaxy613
x4

Post by Galaxy613 » Thu, 28. Apr 05, 02:40

I can't wait!!! :o

Anyone else see that reticle?
10,000 Lightyears of awesomeness

BDStyle
x3tc

Post by BDStyle » Thu, 28. Apr 05, 02:50

jeeeeeeeeez.. i have alot to say about this especially some of the finer points on the economy. however i won't lol so heres this post instead :D

I am looking forward to this alot.

Anyone else looking forward to fleet battles with multiple threat targetting :D
Last edited by BDStyle on Thu, 28. Apr 05, 02:50, edited 1 time in total.

OspreyOne
x3

Post by OspreyOne » Thu, 28. Apr 05, 02:50

I like the new pics, very nice indeed! :)
The scale of this station (assuming the side thingie is an M6 dock) is impressive to say the least.
If I had to guess I would say it is a new type of Shipyard.
I would love if it were a Trading Station you could dock a M1/M2/TL/M6 at!! :)
Just wishful thinking. :D

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 28. Apr 05, 02:52

Excellent! Should lay to rest a number of people's concerns about interface, sameness to X2, etc. There's a big puddle of drool at my feet and it ain't cause of my dog. :mrgreen: :rofl:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

fchopin
x3

Post by fchopin » Thu, 28. Apr 05, 03:00

PC DVD-ROM, this is great.

Both the PC and console game to come out this year, good I will buy both, that is if I have the console.

Multiple thread targeting…hmm very interesting.

Great pictures with good resolution.

This looks great, one thing I did not see any info on, nothing about new sectors, but I can’t wait to play the game.
When there are no more games it is time for music.

fchopin
x3

Post by fchopin » Thu, 28. Apr 05, 03:07

CKarl wrote:I can't wait!!! :o

Anyone else see that reticle?
Yes I saw it; it could be some of the custom profiles shortcuts.
When there are no more games it is time for music.

mysteriouskeke
x3

Post by mysteriouskeke » Thu, 28. Apr 05, 03:22

I hope they make the universe seem more alive. AI in the ships is ok, but the lack of decent NPC interaction made it seem dry.

A sector with so many ships, but thats only what they seem.

Harpo
x3

Post by Harpo » Thu, 28. Apr 05, 03:23

due to the sudden feeling i have of being five and waiting for x mas i think ill just go have a quiet sit down...........................ok im back excited isnt the word :D

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 28. Apr 05, 03:25

mysteriouskeke wrote:I hope they make the universe seem more alive. AI in the ships is ok, but the lack of decent NPC interaction made it seem dry.

Other than obscene gestures and honking horns, how much do you communicate with other drivers on the road? :P

Seriously though, hopefully there will be more interaction. Several statements in the announcement seem to imply such. :)
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Scarecrow
x4

Post by Scarecrow » Thu, 28. Apr 05, 03:33

Oh my :!:

thrangar
x4

Post by thrangar » Thu, 28. Apr 05, 04:47

Scarecrow wrote:Oh my :!:

could'nt have said it better :D

Cheers/Thrangar

Nicholas Kabourakis
x3tc

Re: NEWS: X³: Reunion - First Details

Post by Nicholas Kabourakis » Thu, 28. Apr 05, 05:19

CBJ wrote:a variety of ship classes for trade.
OK so far we have TS's and TP's that can actually do the trick. Will the new stations make it possible to trade in a TL??!!?? Or is thare a new trading ship class :? TH maybe? :D

Cheers

JungleJim
x3

Post by JungleJim » Thu, 28. Apr 05, 05:31

Nanook wrote:
mysteriouskeke wrote:I hope they make the universe seem more alive. AI in the ships is ok, but the lack of decent NPC interaction made it seem dry.

Other than obscene gestures and honking horns, how much do you communicate with other drivers on the road? :P
Hey, *MY* obscene gestures are worth a 1000 words. So it only takes a few of them to "speak volumes".
Nanook wrote:Seriously though, hopefully there will be more interaction. Several statements in the announcement seem to imply such. :)
I agree, it certainly looks, mmm, enticing. Where do I sign up for the pre-order? The article mentioned the European distributed but it didn't say "boo" about a North American distributor.
Be seeing you,

[ external image ]

Tholian512
x3

Post by Tholian512 » Thu, 28. Apr 05, 05:32

WOW :o

To me that station looks like a Teladi trading station..But Man the graphics in this game are going to make the ships and stations in x2 look cheesy in comparison..

I can't wait....
Slavic "Define favorable outcome CABAL"

CABAL "They all die!"

darkstonexa
x4

Post by darkstonexa » Thu, 28. Apr 05, 08:08

[qoute]
I agree, it certainly looks, mmm, enticing. Where do I sign up for the pre-order? The article mentioned the European distributed but it didn't say "boo" about a North American distributor.[/quote]

Read the bottom of the article

Stealth
x2

Post by Stealth » Thu, 28. Apr 05, 08:10

...is that Terra in the background? :o
And yes, it does look like a Teladi station, but take a look at its rear end - looks like a Goner Temple gate as well.

And the reticle... my god, the reticleeeeeeee...
*collapses into a mass of madness*

Any chance of getting more *ship* screenshots?

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Thu, 28. Apr 05, 08:39

Rar! Can't wait :D :D :D

theoverlord3
x3

Post by theoverlord3 » Thu, 28. Apr 05, 09:03

i live in basingstoke!!!! :P

why did cbj say basingstoke at the top?

the game sounds exciting, they have done alot in the last month.

i wonder when they are gonna release a demo!!! or a game trailor.!! :D

Lutzie
x2

Post by Lutzie » Thu, 28. Apr 05, 09:19

FINALLY! DVD-ROM, well done Egosoft, a great move IMO.
Also, that multiple threat targeting system... A great idea! Although I can only see I working on turreted ships. IMO, it's the best way to have a targetting system in a capital ship.

Looking good...
People, LEARN:

Lose: To be unsuccessful in retaining possession of; for example: He's always losing his money.
Loose: Not fastened or restrained; for example: Loose papers

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”