Need fixed GunneryCrews bonus, and 2.11

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X²: The Threat.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

E.R.Hyland
x2

Need fixed GunneryCrews bonus, and 2.11

Post by E.R.Hyland » Fri, 29. Apr 05, 02:59

I need these scripts fixed I had to use a text editor to make 2.11 into GunneryDroids because every time I tryed to edit it in the game one or more of the scripts stoped working.

The problem is that the scripts are cheating and firing the turret guns more then the weapons energy should allow.

I want a addon that just switches guns not one that cheats.

I thought that for a script to be signed it had to work right under all conditions?

Ignoring weapons energy usage is a conditional failure.

Burianek
x3tc

Post by Burianek » Fri, 29. Apr 05, 04:14

I don't believe the gunnery crews ignore energy usage.
You may be experiencing an effect of one of your other modifications.
All the gunnery crew script does is tell the ship to fire, that gets passed to the game code which creates the bullet, drains the energy, etc. The gunnery crew script (and no script for that matter) can simply 'spawn a bullet' (afaik). The one thing the gunnery crew script will do is allow the ships to fire a bit more rapidly (between fires, not shot speed) since they are able to multi-task and aim and fire at the same time. Whereas the stock scripts have to pause aiming for a split second to fire. (causing them to lose tracking for an instant)
Try testing the gunnery crews on an unmodded game and see if you experience this firing without energy use phenomenon.
Cheers.
"Nature's first green is gold" . . . stay golden.

E.R.Hyland
x2

Post by E.R.Hyland » Fri, 29. Apr 05, 05:55

I don't know how the script is getting 6 or more shots per turret off, but I do know that when the script is not runing the turrets fire normaly, so it's GunneryCrews doing a no no.

Burianek
x3tc

Post by Burianek » Fri, 29. Apr 05, 07:59

My above post explains why ships with the gunnery crews equipped may fire more rapidly. This is not a cheat, it is working as intended. AI ships which have the crew equipped enjoy the same feature.
Cheers.

Red Spot
x3

Post by Red Spot » Fri, 29. Apr 05, 14:56

it should have been that way for ai .. at least it would give em some extra .. now a cap.ship battle is a won battle .. before it even starts ..

E.R.Hyland
x2

Post by E.R.Hyland » Sat, 30. Apr 05, 06:18

Ok maybe I should be more clear here I have moded the G(PPC) to fire one big blue ball of death that uses 80% of all gun weapons energy per shot.

Given the above it's not possible to fire 6 shots in a row, but when GunneryCrews is running it does.

Clear now?

Burianek
x3tc

Post by Burianek » Sat, 30. Apr 05, 07:48

To clarify, it fires exactly six shots and then recharges?

You know, each turret has its own energy, are you saying that each turret fires one shot and then recharges? Because that would make sense. There's nothing wrong with the behavior you describe.

Or are you saying that every turret fires precisely six shots and then stops? In that case, it's not a failing of the script, since the script doesn't/cannot control (or ignore) energy drain. It's a limitation of the game engine to be able to handle the unusual number for energy usage you've assigned to your bullets (assuming you've done it correctly)
So your mod is bumping up against the limits of the game engine, it has nothing to do with the script. (nor is there a way the script could be altered to prevent the behavior you describe)
Does that make more sense?

Cheers.

FYI this is the command in the script that fires the weapons:

Code: Select all

= [THIS] -> fire lasers on target $Target using turret $turretid
you can see that there is no energy usage on/off switch, the game code handles that.

E.R.Hyland
x2

Post by E.R.Hyland » Sun, 1. May 05, 05:57

Yes one turret (each of them) is firing off 6 shots in a row.

when the script is not running each turret only fires 1 shot which is what is suppose to happen.

I'm thinking that maybe because the guns are firing with out need to wait to aim it may not be giving the game enough time to react to the energy drain untill after it shoots off the 6 shots.

Return to “X²: The Threat - Scripts and Modding”