Aegis + Gunnery crews - why? What?

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X²: The Threat.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

flagg209
x3

Aegis + Gunnery crews - why? What?

Post by flagg209 » Mon, 2. May 05, 21:03

Forgive me now for only reading one post under extra search - I expected to find a ton of artcles when I typed in "aegis" and was surprised with how few posts there were.

Now the fun stuff! :D

First is it Aegis pronounced age'is ?

Second, and more importantly is it worth the ri-god-damn-diculous cost of it and the crews?

Third, is there a difference between gunnery crew and Aegis? (no the readme does not make it clear) If so what is the difference? Like can I capture military crew and just put them on my ship?

Thanks,
I do this for Aiur...

Java Jawa
x3tc

Post by Java Jawa » Mon, 2. May 05, 21:08

1. Aegis (ay-yee-jiss) is a Greek word. I can't remember what it means/who it was though, I'm, sure I know . . . :x .

2. It is actually quite effective. A Ray with Aegis can take out a K without it. It may only be a slight improvement, but it is worth every penny :) .

3. Gunnery Crew commands are only useable if you have;
i) enough 'Military Personnel' on board to man at least one turret.
ii) enough money to pay for their wages
iii) the AEGIS weapons system.
The Gunnery Crew comands are the commands for the AEGIS system, as the AEGIS is an enhancement which needs gunnery crew (military personnel available at Trading Stations and EQ's).

8)
i7 940 @ 2.93GHz
6GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator 1600MHz RAM
XFX GTX 295 1792MB GPU
ASUS Rampage II Extreme MoBo w/ X-Fi
Logitech G19, G9, Z-2300 THX speakers
Sennheiser PC350 headphones

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: Aegis + Gunnery crews - why? What?

Post by CBJ » Mon, 2. May 05, 21:10

flagg209 wrote:Forgive me now for only reading one post under extra search - I expected to find a ton of artcles when I typed in "aegis" and was surprised with how few posts there were.
If you call 171 matches in the main forum and 118 in the scripting forum "few", yes. ;)

frymaster
x4

Post by frymaster » Mon, 2. May 05, 21:20

To clarify the relationship between gunnery crews and AEGIS:

Hiring gunnery crews allows you access to some really funky advanced turret commands. Installing AEGIS boosts the performance of these crews, and allows access to more funky commands, but you must have the crew to use them.

and out of curiosity, and in all seriousness, how is this not clear in the readme? Many many people ask this question, so it obviously isn't clear, but I don't see how - I grasped it instantly - so presumably Reven / Burianek / whoever writes the readme's / needs to change something...
Math problems? Call 0800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

flagg209
x3

Post by flagg209 » Mon, 2. May 05, 21:29

CBJ -

I only got 4 pages of posts, and didn't see any with a title of aegis -

I was shocked myself as i figured this was a sure thing...I did not however check the mod and script forum...perhaps i mistakenly had the wrong forum selected.

Sorry
I do this for Aiur...

VincentTH
x4

Post by VincentTH » Mon, 2. May 05, 21:46

Back to the original question:

The K may not be the best example. Khaak M2s are IMHO is the best example of how useful the Gunnery Crews and Aegis offers.
Without Aegis, (and I do mean Aegis, not Gunnery Crew), the Boron Ray hardly survives in a Khaak sector for a mere 5 min span.

flagg209
x3

Post by flagg209 » Mon, 2. May 05, 22:01

I am at work right now, so I can't download the bonus pack to open the readme. I saw in a different post what appeared to be the readme (in the end it turned out to be a snippit of the readme)

The basic problem that I had a hard time understanding was weather or not the "gunnery crew" could be used if I didn't own aegis.

In the snippit of the readme that I read - it wasn't clear - and as i have the bonus pack installed at home and did read it front to back I never understood that but put it on the back burner (as I didn't until recently have a ship worth buying it for).
I do this for Aiur...

Burianek
x3tc

Post by Burianek » Tue, 3. May 05, 01:12

You have the relationship wrong.
Gunnery Crews are mandatory for any commands to work.
Aegis unlocks extra commands.
Aegis will not work at all without the gunnery crews.
The gunnery crews work fine woithout Aegis. (but without a few bells and whistles)
Cheers.
"Nature's first green is gold" . . . stay golden.

grays
x3tc

Post by grays » Tue, 3. May 05, 13:31

Aegis means "shield".

The US Navy also have a system called Aegis which is an anti-missle defense system for their battle groups. Maybe Reven can claim some royalties :wink:

It could also be an acronym of Argon Enhanced Gunnery Interface System

Return to “X²: The Threat - Scripts and Modding”