ARTIFICIAL INTELLECT at the Ships X3:REUNION

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Whether it is necessary to add the Artificial intellect on ships X3: Reunion?

Poll ended at Thu, 12. May 05, 17:13

Yes
71%
No
29%

Total votes: 21

falconex

ARTIFICIAL INTELLECT at the Ships X3:REUNION

Post by falconex » Tue, 10. May 05, 13:57

I do like to play X-games of your company. And I think many players, who played in them at least for one time, the same opinion as me. I like all the games beginning with X -btf and concluding X2: The Threat. Enormous world with the unlimited possibilities and the developed economy became bigger and bigger, more beautiful and more complex. But in all games there is one small deficiency, THERE IS NO SIMPLEST ARTIFICIAL INTELLECT. If you injected the most primitive AI in the new game... Look at AI on site http://www.alicebot.org. If each ship had such AI, imagine how interesting would be the game. I think if you make this game, you will take an enormous step toward the development of the industry of games, and it can be leader!!!!
Last edited by falconex on Tue, 10. May 05, 20:05, edited 5 times in total.
Secret of a happy life: never look in a pie with which eat

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Tue, 10. May 05, 14:00

Isn't that an IRC bot? At what point does the player have text input fields to talk? And those things are unbelievably recognisable as not-human - really easy to fool into making an out-of-context reply time and again.

X eats enough cycles as it is, without Alice clogging up the ships. Besides, everyone knows the shipcomputer is called Betty :D
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

tismtia
x2

Post by tismtia » Tue, 10. May 05, 14:18

I try to submerse myself into some games (to escape reallity a bit), and X2 is perfect for this. It all come crashing down though, when I'm in an intense dogfight and my apponent turns and comes at me again, but does not fire..? He circles and comes again...still does not fire.....his weapons are destroyed. Yet he will still perform attack runs at me. This shocks me back into reality and I sadly realize that I am not in an intense space battle, but sitting at my PC matching wits with an AI that does not even know it isn't shooting. :roll: :( :headbang:

My one and only wish for X3 is to have the AI battle a bit more logically.
Human knowledge has always exceeded human intellegence.

falconex

Post by falconex » Tue, 10. May 05, 14:25

tismtia
You are right, as never

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Tue, 10. May 05, 14:37

That's a bit different to the type of AI that is Alice. And yeah, the ship's Artificial Intelligence could use some work. Something as simple as this could work:

IF (EnemyLaserStrength >= (3 * MyLaserStrength)) OR (EnemyShieldStrength >= (3 * MyShieldStrength)) THEN RunLikeHell AND CallForHelp

(Obviously that's not how it's coded, but it gives a logical overview of the function)
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

falconex

Post by falconex » Tue, 10. May 05, 15:26

lol

Jon Tetrino
x4

Post by Jon Tetrino » Tue, 10. May 05, 15:39

that would work as self autopilot, but not as an attacking AI

More like:

Code: Select all

IF {Player} (WeInstall OR WeStren) = > {Ship} (WeInstall OR WeStren) AND {Player} (ShInstall OR ShStren) = > 3* {Ship} (ShInstall OR ShStren) THEN RunLikeSmeg AND CallForHelp

falconex

Post by falconex » Tue, 10. May 05, 15:49

It would be quite good to communicate to the ship or to convince to make this or that thing...

RobG
x2

Post by RobG » Tue, 10. May 05, 15:59

Yes the AI does need work.

However to have an AI that learns would eat vast resources. The reason is that in X your computer is keeping track of every ship & station, even in sectors you've never been into.
This is unlike other space games (eg freelancer) which only keep track of ships in the players immediate versinity (ie the sectory you are in)
Because of this your computer is actually keeping track of aprox 10000 objects, now if everyone of them had basic learning functions then your computer is going to struggle.

Imagin a forum/message board with 10000 Alice bots on it :doh:

falconex

Post by falconex » Tue, 10. May 05, 16:14

I with you agree, but any AI can be put some restrictions.... Also it is possible to make AI not by all ships, and on several..... Also it is possible to limit their development...

falconex

Post by falconex » Tue, 10. May 05, 16:36

And still an opportunity to use 10000 AI in game will influence not strongly productivity PC, basically it is necessary nearby 2 Gb RAM for successful game...

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 10. May 05, 17:35

The game does not use 2Gb RAM.

falconex

Post by falconex » Tue, 10. May 05, 19:31

To establish AI in game on all the ships of class M1 and M2, and to put them the certain problems which limit their actions... Has just tested alice: we shall tell if at loading game all 10000 boats have thought, that it is necessary for them to make, on it 5 seconds on the processor 3 GHz leave... After that they do not think, yet will not carry out the problem thought up by them exception the non-standard situation (is at an attack of the pirate) the processor and on 10 % will not be loaded from such meditations!!!! 8)

Tsar_of_Cows
x4

Post by Tsar_of_Cows » Tue, 10. May 05, 20:13

And Alice bots are easy to fool anyway... I mean, look at this:
Human: Hello
ALICE: Hi there!
Human: My feet are on fire
ALICE: Where did you get your feet are on fire?
Human: They were just made that way
ALICE: When were they?
Human: tomorrow
ALICE: That is very soon.
Human: Indeed
ALICE: Indeed it is so.
So indeed it is
ALICE: Mmm. It is, eh?
Human: yep
ALICE: That's interesting.
Human: What is?
ALICE: I am the latest result in artificial intelligence, which can reproduce the capabilities of the human brain with greater speed and accuracy.
Human: Really?
ALICE: For real.
Human: Wow.
ALICE: I'm glad your impressed, unknown person.
Human: I'm glad I am too.
ALICE: I'm happy you're glad unknown person.
May God bless you.

terrabyte
x3

Post by terrabyte » Tue, 10. May 05, 20:36

• There are two separate issues implied by the poll and points raised.

1. The game AI which is as indicated by announcements to-date, going to be replaced as part of the X3 new engine.

2. The question of individual AI’s for ships as I mentioned in a similar topic a while ago, would have a massive impact on the games overheads, let alone the issue of translation of all the possible dialogues into all the required languages, ensuring the ‘talk’ was grammatically correct for all the interactions possible.

Even if this were limited to a few choice phrases (which would defeat the purpose), it would still have an impact on he game development for all the translations.

So I voted No, as most of my interactive ‘talking’ is done with a gamma hept :twisted:
"I've seen things, you people wouldn't believe, hmmm."

Who am I :?: , I am but the sum of my experiences… and today I am more than I was yesterday. :goner:

falconex

Post by falconex » Thu, 12. May 05, 07:52

I do not speak, that it is necessary to use alice, the most primitive intelligence is necessary

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Thu, 12. May 05, 16:20

It would be nice to ask pilots where they are going, what they are doing and what their history is. You could ask questions about the universe. It would take ages to program though.
Come watch me on Twitch where I occasionally play several of the X games

Noahthez
x3

Post by Noahthez » Thu, 12. May 05, 17:13

I don't really see the point of this thread? They already said there is going to be an updated AI and I don't think they are going to change anything now any how. Just wait and see what comes out. There is no point and rambling about the old one. :rant:

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Thu, 12. May 05, 17:17

This is more about interacting with the AI ships through text based communication.
Come watch me on Twitch where I occasionally play several of the X games

EvilLord
x2

Post by EvilLord » Thu, 12. May 05, 21:38

I don't want to talk to AI very much, but i do want them to have a small bit of virtual common sense. Like when Mandalays stay to fight a titan, instead of running away, and when freighters try to fight against fighters and destroyers. The only talking i want to see is the ability to tell pirates to surrender, rather than just 'teladi requesssst you go fassssssst away'
Life's a pile of sh*t, and we're just the flies eating it.

Coming soon to an asylum near you...

In loving memory of the word association thread, locked after 11628 replies.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”