Any update about X3 Online Universe?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Silverflyer
x2

Any update about X3 Online Universe?

Post by Silverflyer » Thu, 2. Jun 05, 21:03

Where could one find more info about progress in this project? I am looking forward to play MMOG version of X3.
" I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Hah!
Attack ships on fire, off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams, glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
All those moments.... will be lost... in time, like tears... in rain.
Time...... to die"

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 2. Jun 05, 21:06

There is no more info about progress because the development effort is going into X³ rather than anything else. All the information that has been published is on the Online Universe site.

Jon Tetrino
x4

Re: Any update about X3 Online Universe?

Post by Jon Tetrino » Thu, 2. Jun 05, 21:11

Silverflyer wrote:Where could one find more info about progress in this project? I am looking forward to play MMOG version of X3.
ummm, sorry for asking, but where did u hear there would be an online version of X3???

my understanding is that ur gonna have to wait until 2010 at least before it hits the design board (and im pretty certain this is right)

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 2. Jun 05, 21:13

See my link above. That date of 2010 you are quoting was not a serious suggestion. If you read the post that it came from then you will see that it was being used humorously to refer to an unspecified date in the future.

Jon Tetrino
x4

Post by Jon Tetrino » Thu, 2. Jun 05, 21:15

CBJ wrote:See my link above. That date of 2010 you are quoting was not a serious suggestion. If you read the post that it came from then you will see that it was being used humorously to refer to an unspecified date in the future.
i know and i didn't mean it as a serious statement.

sorry for the misunderstanding.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 2. Jun 05, 21:21

I didn't think you necessarily did, but you'd be amazed how rumours start. The next thing we'd see is a news report in an online magazine "announcing" that as a release date, followed by hundreds of forum posts about people pre-ordering. ;)

Jon Tetrino
x4

Post by Jon Tetrino » Thu, 2. Jun 05, 21:24

CBJ wrote:I didn't think you necessarily did, but you'd be amazed how rumours start. The next thing we'd see is a news report in an online magazine "announcing" that as a release date, followed by hundreds of forum posts about people pre-ordering. ;)
lol, the last time i started something like that it was about the PS2 release date a while back.

a good 700 peeps wanted to pre-order it from sony. it was in dec 1998 for christ sake!

Apollo911
x3tc

Post by Apollo911 » Thu, 2. Jun 05, 21:44

Hoe come on the online-universe site there is pics of unique ships, or ships that aren't in X2? Doesn't that mean that those pics are of another development? I can guess the answer...
[ external image ]
From the darkness you must fall
Starting to mod? Watch my ship importing tutorial here here!

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 2. Jun 05, 21:53

Those pictures are at least 4 years old. Draw your own conclusions from that.

Silverflyer
x2

Post by Silverflyer » Thu, 2. Jun 05, 21:53

Thanks for fast response!

For a moment I thought that
www.x2ou.com
is official website. Sadly it is not…

However just from that website you can see that there is almost 10 000 people very interested in online version of x2/x3. 10 000 is excellent number (interest) when you realize that reality from officials is: “There is no more info about progress because …”

Now imagine interest when progress (if ever) becomes reality; imagine interest when project comes to final stage. I could easily imagine 100k applications for open beta testing.

Without any doubt, interest in Online version is (or will be) great…. The ball is in Egosoft’s courtyard.

/sigh
Time...... to die"

Stormsong
x3tc

Post by Stormsong » Thu, 2. Jun 05, 22:11

Bernd made a short statement on the subject at the end of last year. It can be found here.
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science."

Apoch
x3

Post by Apoch » Fri, 3. Jun 05, 03:20

10,000 users is hardly an "excellent number" of interested users. It's not even enough to keep the average MMOG running. To seriously warrant the monetary risk, it would take at least 20 times as many seriously interested users (and not just people who have said they would play it on an internet poll). At this stage of X³'s production, virtually no number of "interested users" is enough to justify such a huge shift in development effort.

It's easy to point the finger at Egosoft if you ignore the realities of operating a business.
M. "Apoch" Lewis
EGOSOFT Programmer
(and Holy Prophet of Douglas Adams)

Silverflyer
x2

Post by Silverflyer » Fri, 3. Jun 05, 14:45

Stormsong thank you so much for your answer. I have read entire topic and it was very interesting. If X3 is going to help you to start Online version of this game, then I will buy one copy for myself and another copy for my brother ;-) However future is uncertain and clouded by the dark side (see below)…

Apoch, I have no idea what are you motives and honestly I do not care, but please DO NOT take things out of context. We are at stage where there is no serious development at all; at stage where officials do not talk about it in public; at stage where official website was not updated for 3-4 years. In that context almost 10k people on some non-official site is wonderful number.

/cheers
Silverflyer
Time...... to die"

giskard
xr

Post by giskard » Fri, 3. Jun 05, 15:33

Plan B should be helped along by the X3 Console developement this time.

Of course Egosoft will be wondering how much support there is for a MMOG and the primary place they will look most days is right here. So when ever I see a X3 online thread im going to post my interest in it.

Sign me up.

Giskard
This signature has been stolen by the well known Teladi Signature Thief X Siggy.

Apoch
x3

Post by Apoch » Fri, 3. Jun 05, 19:58

Silverflyer wrote:Apoch, I have no idea what are you motives and honestly I do not care, but please DO NOT take things out of context. We are at stage where there is no serious development at all; at stage where officials do not talk about it in public; at stage where official website was not updated for 3-4 years. In that context almost 10k people on some non-official site is wonderful number.

No... we're at a stage where serious development is being done on other projects, which for reasons of practical reality must be given priority. I have taken nothing "out of context." If anything, I've got a lot more context to go on than you do, seeing as I'm actually involved in the serious development ;)

No matter how you slice it, 10,000 people on a web site is not a business justification for launching a multi-million dollar project like an MMOG. If you took such a preposterous notion to an investment firm, you'd be laughed out of the building. I won't even get into the sociocultural aspects of internet polling and the fact that the number is probably wildly inflated and utterly unreliable as a genuine market readiness statistic.
M. "Apoch" Lewis
EGOSOFT Programmer
(and Holy Prophet of Douglas Adams)

MarkB
x3

Post by MarkB » Fri, 3. Jun 05, 21:09

I think the interesting number is that of registered users to this board. I feel that sends a better message in relation to prospective XOU development.

Yeah, I suppose a fair proportion are no longer active, but even knocking them out of the equation I feel pretty confident that you would end up with a number vastly greater than the 10,000 mentioned earlier.

What proportion of users would consider joining into a MMOG is debatable, but without any actual definitive XOU developement taking place I think it safe to say that there is a lot of interest already in Egosoft products, whatever format that product takes.

I'm not suggesting the ES guys spend any of their time working at XOU right now, but seeing as Egosoft really DOES seem to take their games fans views and ideas into account, now is the time for interested parties to sign up for the devnet and get their ideas for XOU in on the First Floor (not the ground floor, as there is some work that has already been done I suppose), that way the ideas that are "over the top" or unattainable can get filtered out before serious development kicks off.

Drainy
x3tc

Post by Drainy » Fri, 3. Jun 05, 21:37

Dont forget that people have to register here just to download updates. Id be impressed if even half of them all signed up to play an online game.

I dunno, it all depends on how they market it, if and when they make it ;)

Why dont we all just get back to being excited about X3 and wait for that to pass before we start the next wave of, "whens XOU coming??"

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Fri, 3. Jun 05, 22:27

Id be impressed if even 10% of them all signed up to play an online game.
Edited for reality.
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

Lord_Darkstar
x2

Post by Lord_Darkstar » Fri, 3. Jun 05, 23:29

esd wrote:
Id be impressed if even 1% of them all signed up to play an online game.
Edited for reality.
Edited for reality.

Lord_Darkstar
x2

Post by Lord_Darkstar » Fri, 3. Jun 05, 23:35

MarkB wrote:I'm not suggesting the ES guys spend any of their time working at XOU right now, but seeing as Egosoft really DOES seem to take their games fans views and ideas into account, now is the time for interested parties to sign up for the devnet and get their ideas for XOU in on the First Floor (not the ground floor, as there is some work that has already been done I suppose), that way the ideas that are "over the top" or unattainable can get filtered out before serious development kicks off.
If Egosoft takes our views into account, they won't ever make an XOU. There is very little crossover between their current customer base, and that of the PvP types. And that's the only reason to play in XOU. Competing against other humans.

Now, we've heard from Egosoft that they want to do it. So when they see a good chance at succeeding at that, they will do it. Just so they can enjoy it themselves. No worries on my part. More power to them. But I, just like the current majority of their customers, won't bother with XOU. A MMO version of the Xverse will not have the same flavor as the Xverse in SP.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”