X2OL.NET "Who will be the most dangerous enemy"

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Gary Bolton

X2OL.NET "Who will be the most dangerous enemy"

Post by Gary Bolton » Thu, 3. Jul 03, 12:53

ME!!!!

Bet you all fell for that one!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D :D :D
DELETE MY ACCOUNT!!!

Wargod.
x3tc

Post by Wargod. » Thu, 3. Jul 03, 12:59

And good for you. Jus' gimme your money, and I won't bother you even slightly!

Profitssss!

-Wargod

Gary Bolton

Post by Gary Bolton » Thu, 3. Jul 03, 13:12

But I thought all the TELADI were Woman according to Heldge. :D Easy meat! Your Proffittssssssss will be mine in a Milli Second. :twisted:
DELETE MY ACCOUNT!!!

Brianetta
x4

Post by Brianetta » Thu, 3. Jul 03, 13:14

I won't be playing XOL. It's not because I don't think I'll like the game. It's just that I've played many on line games, and they're often full of irritating fourteen-year-olds who shoot up your property while you're at work, unable to do anything about it for hours on end.

I know this from Merchant Empires most of all, but there have been others. Even given some kind of alert, say SMS or whatever, that my assets are under attack, all it would do is really spoil my afternoon while I waited until I could go home and see what damage had been done.

Sure, if I was bedridden, it would be a perfect game to play. Unfortunately, I have real world commitments, and even if I play for say four hours a day, that leaves twenty where some gun-happy kiddie decides that AI-run defences are easy pickings.

I'm not the best player in the world, and I wont be the richest. I don't want to spend all my trade or factory profits paying some other kid to defend my assets while I'm asleep/at work. Guild politics are never well thought out in my experience, and there's precious little else.

It's unfortunate, but there we go. I'm just grateful that X2 is finished, as two years ago it looked rather like XOU was the next step instead.
PGP fingerprint: FA3D CA2F 38D3 BA69 87E1 D52E C204 FB5C 430A 0BFA

Gary Bolton

Post by Gary Bolton » Thu, 3. Jul 03, 13:19

Brianetta wrote:I won't be playing XOL. It's not because I don't think I'll like the game. It's just that I've played many on line games, and they're often full of irritating fourteen-year-olds who shoot up your property while you're at work, unable to do anything about it for hours on end.

I know this from Merchant Empires most of all, but there have been others. Even given some kind of alert, say SMS or whatever, that my assets are under attack, all it would do is really spoil my afternoon while I waited until I could go home and see what damage had been done.

Sure, if I was bedridden, it would be a perfect game to play. Unfortunately, I have real world commitments, and even if I play for say four hours a day, that leaves twenty where some gun-happy kiddie decides that AI-run defences are easy pickings.

I'm not the best player in the world, and I wont be the richest. I don't want to spend all my trade or factory profits paying some other kid to defend my assets while I'm asleep/at work. Guild politics are never well thought out in my experience, and there's precious little else.

It's unfortunate, but there we go. I'm just grateful that X2 is finished, as two years ago it looked rather like XOU was the next step instead.
Well I have to be honest you have some very good points there. Has anyone else ever thought about this also. If you've ever played a game online like Unreal Tournament for example. Like I have with a friend when we were both on 56k Dial-up connection. You get the Latency issue coming into play. If I was hosting the game, I would have a "0" ping. While he may have had a "300-400" ping because he was connecting to me running the server. Sometimes he would shoot first before me. But I would kill him because he was getting bad Lag at his end of the game because he had a higher PING than me. So how will things fair if for example. I have a 1mb cable connection, and another person has a 56k Dial connection who I'm fighting. Will LAG play a big part as to who wins the fight in reality. Rather than skill? While I more than welcome the online game. I wonder if there are going to be serious issues like this for 56k Dial-up users.

CLANS:

As far as Clans go. Well what a fantastic idea I think. Imagine this. 5-10 people decide to create a secret clan for example. And use a program like Roger Wilco for voice chat while playing online. To comunicate with each other to issue orders. Meaning there will have to be a Leader of the clan. And when he's not online, the next ranking officer takes over the lead. Some could keep watch and guard, while other go out to capture, build etc. If you get into trouble you use the Microphone to call the others back for support. God sounds auwsum to me this Clan idea!!!! And the same goes for fighting. Issue orders, and talk during fighting. Fight as groups together against a single player online. What chance does he stand. NONE!!!
Last edited by Gary Bolton on Thu, 3. Jul 03, 13:40, edited 4 times in total.
DELETE MY ACCOUNT!!!

Jasperodus
x3

Post by Jasperodus » Thu, 3. Jul 03, 13:37

Sure people can be pirates, mercs, bounty hunters etc.

That doesn't address the issue of traders and their assets being vulnerable while offline.

Part of it is to say, well, your assets in sector X are in a similar position when you are are in sector Y as when you are offline. There is no guarantee you will be able to get there in time. It is better when you're online but potentially not much better.

So the point is, how good is the AI of your assets vs an attack by players? We've got to hope it is pretty good. X2 is going to be a useful indicator of how good at AI Ego has got since XT.

It is also your responsibility to ensure your assets are well defended in terms of ships and fixed defences. I suspect X2 will teach a few lessons to those who have been made lazy in this regard due to the ludicrous inactivity of XT v2.1a pirates.

Then there is the issue of zones of security: core sectors, colony/border sectors, independent/wild sectors. There is a calculation to made balancing risk with return for traders placing assets outside the core.

I put it like this: the casual 14-yr old PKer/vandal should not really be in a postion where they have the hardware to overcome a reasonably well defended station or convoy. They surely aren't going to have the credits necessary.

Then you have pirates and what I would call legitimate PvP. I think here you just have to accept that it is part of the game. Ways of dealing with it include guilds, security agreements between a few players, buying a defence contract with an NPC or player security outfit.

I think there are many ways player asset security can be enhanced while the owner is offline. I do agree it is a big issue and one that Ego and the player base will have to work at to get right.

Jasp
Arms, my only ornament; my only rest, the fight. ~ Don Quixote, Cervantes

Wargod.
x3tc

Post by Wargod. » Thu, 3. Jul 03, 13:40

Gary Bolton wrote:But I thought all the TELADI were Woman according to Heldge. :D Easy meat! Your Proffittssssssss will be mine in a Milli Second. :twisted:
Kissss my .... Thrusters ....

and they're often full of irritating fourteen-year-olds who shoot up your property while you're at work, unable to do anything about it for hours on end.
Well, I'm the yongest one here, and there wouldn't be a chance in hell of me doing that... Unless of course you OWE me!

Besides most people my age could never imagin playing a game like X. It often requires that 'thinking' they speak of, and you know what else? X is not, and I honestly do think (though this isn't all bad) that is will never be a mainstream game! Once again the others my age would not be assed to look for a good game like X, and those who would, would well, not be irritating little morons. So, in my 4.45AM Ramblings, I think I'm making sence!

-Wargod

Gary Bolton

Post by Gary Bolton » Thu, 3. Jul 03, 13:45

No offence: Wargod

But when it comes to Online Games. I think you might be surprised just how many young people will suddenly show a lot more interest, compared to the offline game. They are also a lot more interactive. Which will appeal to you players, and the idea of being able to kill another person on the internet. These are reasons why games like UT and QUAKE were so popular. They appeal to the Beat in us all! :D

REASONS: They have to go out and buy the offline game. Not the same with an Online game.

I think :gruebel:
Last edited by Gary Bolton on Thu, 3. Jul 03, 13:49, edited 1 time in total.
DELETE MY ACCOUNT!!!

Wargod.
x3tc

Post by Wargod. » Thu, 3. Jul 03, 13:48

Gary Bolton wrote: REASONS: They have to go out and buy the offline game. Not the same with an Online game.
Er, why wouldn't you have to go out and buy the game? I don't think I've ever heard of a MMOG that didn't need you go buy a CD, and what if there's a monthly fee, I know NO ONE my ahe that would be willing to do that, and the fact that the need their parents to pay that fee makes it even harder. But hell, I'll be there! :D

-Wargod

Jasperodus
x3

Post by Jasperodus » Thu, 3. Jul 03, 13:48

Gary Bolton wrote: CLANS:

As far as Clans go. Well what a fantastic idea I think. Imagine this. 5-10 people decide to create a secret clan for example. And use a program like Roger Wilco for voice chat while playing online. To comunicate with each other to issue orders. Meaning there will have to be a Leader of the clan. And when he's not online, the next ranking officer takes over the lead. Some could keep watch and guard, while other go out to capture, build etc. If you get into trouble you use the Microphone to call the others back for support. God sounds auwsum to me this Clan idea!!!! And the same goes for fighting. Issue orders, and talk during fighting. Fight as groups together against a single player online. What chance does he stand. NONE!!!
You have to smile. :wink:

Jasp

Gary Bolton

Post by Gary Bolton » Thu, 3. Jul 03, 13:52

Wargod. wrote:
Gary Bolton wrote: REASONS: They have to go out and buy the offline game. Not the same with an Online game.
Er, why wouldn't you have to go out and buy the game? I don't think I've ever heard of a MMOG that didn't need you go buy a CD, and what if there's a monthly fee, I know NO ONE my ahe that would be willing to do that, and the fact that the need their parents to pay that fee makes it even harder. But hell, I'll be there! :D

-Wargod
Well these are all unknown things. I have also wondered who is going to pay for all this. I also would expect there is going to be a FEE to pay for all this. But who knows I'm just guessing. And yes your right you probably will still have to buy the disk to play the game online. Not really sure what I was thinking when I said that!!! :wink:
DELETE MY ACCOUNT!!!

Nuwanda

Post by Nuwanda » Thu, 3. Jul 03, 13:54

Gary Bolton wrote:No offence: Wargod

But when it comes to Online Games. I think you might be surprised just how many young people will suddenly show a lot more interest, compared to the offline game. They are also a lot more interactive. Which will appeal to you players, and the idea of being able to kill another person on the internet. These are reasons why games like UT and QUAKE were so popular. They appeal to the Beat in us all! :D

REASONS: They have to go out and buy the offline game. Not the same with an Online game.

I think :gruebel:
there might not be too many 14 yr olds around coz like one other online game (Harwar or JumpGate i think it was...not sure), u might have to pay or provide a CC number to play..

Wargod.
x3tc

Post by Wargod. » Thu, 3. Jul 03, 13:55

Gary Bolton wrote:
Wargod. wrote:

-Wargod
Well these are all unknown things. I have also wondered who is going to pay for all this. I also would expect there is going to be a FEE to pay for all this. But who knows I'm just guessing. And yes your right you probably will still have to buy the disk to play the game online. Not really sure what I was thinking when I said that!!! :wink:
Think Man!!! :P ...

-Wargod

Gary Bolton

Post by Gary Bolton » Thu, 3. Jul 03, 13:57

You've not just been to work all night for 8 hours, and still sat here 4 hours after getting in, typing messages here. The mind goes numb!!!

Time for bed in 10 minutes! :o

But that time will come for you in the future!!! :D
Last edited by Gary Bolton on Thu, 3. Jul 03, 13:59, edited 2 times in total.
DELETE MY ACCOUNT!!!

Unimaginative
x3

Post by Unimaginative » Thu, 3. Jul 03, 13:57

I have a vague recollection that in Ultima Online you could own a house. Does anyone know if these were destructable?

Wargod.
x3tc

Post by Wargod. » Thu, 3. Jul 03, 14:04

Gary Bolton wrote:You've not just been to work all night for 8 hours, and still sat here 4 hours after getting in, typing messages here. The mind goes numb!!!

Time for bed in 10 minutes! :o

But that time will come for you in the future!!! :D
Big Whoop it's 5 AM here, I haven't slept yet, there's no caffine in my body, and I;m laying down and typing!

-Wargod

tom4stir

Post by tom4stir » Thu, 3. Jul 03, 14:05

I like to stay away from MMO games. They never meet expectations, and all of the hard core people take command. Plus the monthly fee is no good either. Too much of a commintent for me.

Gary Bolton

Post by Gary Bolton » Thu, 3. Jul 03, 14:08

Well I still say the CLAN thing is going to be a major force in X2OL.NET. And I think there will come a time when you will have to be a member of a CLAN if you expect to get anywere in the Online game. Because if you come across a CLAN as a single player. Your simply DEAD MEAT! No if or buts about that! Unless your GOD!!!

I for one will be going along them lines myself. Not as a Leader of a Clan, but as a member. But you will have to use some sort of Voice Comunication if you expect a Clan thing to work correctly! Because you will need to know what each other is doing in the game. Relaying information backwards and forwards etc. You could have for example one of your clan members in another sector, next to the sector were your Factorys are. To act as an early warning signal to tell you to send out the Factory defences etc. The list is endless, and the mind boggles just thinking about what can be done with a Voice Chat program, and a Clan!
Last edited by Gary Bolton on Thu, 3. Jul 03, 14:15, edited 1 time in total.
DELETE MY ACCOUNT!!!

Wargod.
x3tc

Post by Wargod. » Thu, 3. Jul 03, 14:13

Join TPA! :x2:

(See Sig!)

-Wargod

Jasperodus
x3

Post by Jasperodus » Thu, 3. Jul 03, 14:15

My mind is definitely boggling.

Re Ultima Online - I'm unsure re the destructability of player-owned buildings (if they are, I'm guessing it requires a hell of a lot of power - far more proportionately than it would require to blow up a station in an X game) but in that game, in some ways, the building wasn't the issue so much as the real estate. Title to a plot of land was uber-valuable. Though, they've lessened this with the introduction of new continents.

Jasp

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”