does anybody have try an M2 full of mass drivers ?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

TYBRO
x3

does anybody have try an M2 full of mass drivers ?

Post by TYBRO » Thu, 30. Jun 05, 23:56

It will be interesting to try it :)

But it will require a lot of ammunitions :(

How long will it takes to destroy another M2 or an M6 ? :gruebel:

Maybe combine with ions, will become a good capturing ship :D

I hope that in x3 mass drivers will be more powerful

xeon_1
x4

Post by xeon_1 » Fri, 1. Jul 05, 00:02

i hope they come in some heave version some for capital ship that slug out big projectiles not mere bullet but trully something masive mayby with a nucilar warhead

dr. lomax
x2

Post by dr. lomax » Fri, 1. Jul 05, 00:12

It will be interesting to try it
Yeah, never tried it myself. :wink:
But it will require a lot of ammunitions
You betcha! :shock:
How long will it takes to destroy another M2 or an M6 ?

Dunno, probably quicker than if you were in an M3 or M6.
Maybe combine with ions, will become a good capturing ship
I'd leave the Ions out, Mass Drivers go through shields anyway and the Ions might fry any extra equipment you could get on a capture, plus you'd be a couple of Mass Drivers down :wink:
I hope that in x3 mass drivers will be more powerful
Me too :D
So it's come to this, I told you this would happen Ani! The fanboys are taking over!! NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

TYBRO
x3

Post by TYBRO » Fri, 1. Jul 05, 00:12

yeah like mosquito missile with a nuclear warhead as the one in the hornet missile :)

Brianetta
x4

Post by Brianetta » Fri, 1. Jul 05, 00:19

My last game featured a Titan with mass drivers. I put them in before I could afford (or source) bigger guns.

It's interesting, in a Battlestar Galactica kind of way, but not particularly deadly. Fighters go down fast, capital ships are a threat.
PGP fingerprint: FA3D CA2F 38D3 BA69 87E1 D52E C204 FB5C 430A 0BFA

TYBRO
x3

Post by TYBRO » Fri, 1. Jul 05, 00:22

Brianetta wrote:My last game featured a Titan with mass drivers. I put them in before I could afford (or source) bigger guns.

It's interesting, in a Battlestar Galactica kind of way, but not particularly deadly. Fighters go down fast, capital ships are a threat.
did you cap more ship that way or not?

and i guess that eat a lot or amunitation

Brianetta
x4

Post by Brianetta » Fri, 1. Jul 05, 00:31

TYBRO wrote:
Brianetta wrote:My last game featured a Titan with mass drivers. I put them in before I could afford (or source) bigger guns.

Capturing ships is something I avoid. If you attack an enemy with only mass drivers, you guarantee that you will have no captures - nobody bails out with their shields up. Since I consider capturing to be a tad boring, this suits me down to the ground.

Ammunition use is slower than you might think.

TYBRO
x3

Post by TYBRO » Fri, 1. Jul 05, 00:36

Brianetta wrote:
TYBRO wrote:

Capturing ships is something I avoid. If you attack an enemy with only mass drivers, you guarantee that you will have no captures - nobody bails out with their shields up. Since I consider capturing to be a tad boring, this suits me down to the ground.

Ammunition use is slower than you might think.
I do not do cap. either it just happen in a middle of fight, and when it happens I enjoy it, for the xtra credits :roll: and also to see other run for their life, wich I respect, never kill a pirate in the space suit , everybody should have a second chance :D

grumman
x3tc

Post by grumman » Fri, 1. Jul 05, 09:20

TYBRO wrote:...never kill a pirate in the space suit , everybody should have a second chance :D
Of course... also, the pirates who give you their ship are the ones you'd want piloting a ship in the future. :D

"He who fights and runs away, lives to run another day"
Grumman - killjoy extraordinaire

Brianetta
x4

Post by Brianetta » Fri, 1. Jul 05, 10:09

grumman wrote:
TYBRO wrote:...never kill a pirate in the space suit , everybody should have a second chance :D
Of course... also, the pirates who give you their ship are the ones you'd want piloting a ship in the future. :D

"He who fights and runs away, lives to run another day"
Pirate space suit. Worth less than a space fly, but still more than the bounty. *scoop*

Drako96
x3

Post by Drako96 » Fri, 1. Jul 05, 15:05

TYBRO wrote: ...never kill a pirate in the space suit , everybody should have a second chance :D
Yeah, he can get a second chance in some Split slave market :twisted:
D
--Drako

Some primal termite knocked on wood
And tasted it, and found it good!
And that is why your Cousin May
Fell through the parlor floor today. --Ogden Nash

Tenlar Scarflame
xr

Post by Tenlar Scarflame » Sun, 3. Jul 05, 07:28

Drako96 wrote:
TYBRO wrote: ...never kill a pirate in the space suit , everybody should have a second chance :D
D
"HEY YOU BACK THERE! QUIT MAKING NOISE OR I'LL SIC MY SPACEFLIES ON YOU!" :twisted:

as for mass drivers, they DO need to do more damage. Or perhaps they should have alpha/beta/gamma classes of those as well. The same with Ions. 8)

Do I remember there being talk about a new ammunition-based weapon come X3? :D
My music - Von Neumann's Children - Lasers and Tactics

I'm on Twitch! 21:15 EST Sundays. Come watch me die a lot.

NavaCorp
x3tc

Post by NavaCorp » Sun, 3. Jul 05, 07:48

Tenlar Scarflame wrote:
Drako96 wrote:
D
"HEY YOU BACK THERE! QUIT MAKING NOISE OR I'LL SIC MY SPACEFLIES ON YOU!" :twisted:

as for mass drivers, they DO need to do more damage. Or perhaps they should have alpha/beta/gamma classes of those as well. The same with Ions. 8)

Do I remember there being talk about a new ammunition-based weapon come X3? :D
I like the idea of mass driver and I'm disappointed that they are so weak.
Did you try it with Burianek rebalance? He says MD damage has been doubled in his mod. I downloaded it but I've never used it since I've to finish the plot first. How is it with this mod? Does it worth to be bought and installed?

ajsarge
x3tc

Post by ajsarge » Sun, 3. Jul 05, 10:59

Here's my idea for MDs.

Alpha: Current-Very deadly against fighters, too weak VS cap. ship hulls. Is a Machinegun at heart, but capable of inflicting heavy dammage to components if shot at the comps correctly (like tossing a grenade into a tank hatch, bullet ricochets into vital parts causing massive damage)

Beta: Stronger than A, but not as strong as Gamma. Medium speed bullets (about same as current lazerz). Takes 3 seconds before each shot for cannon cooldown and re-load.

Gamma: Super strong-dammages a cap. ship heavily. Will kill an M6 in 2 shots if placed straight on target. Only ships capable of mounting: Few M6s and all M2s as a main gun (note, no more than 1 gamma MD on M6, at least 4 on M2s). Extra on GMDs: Takes 30 seconds to return cannons to firing postitions and charge magnetic coils for another shot (yes, it's a Rail Gun, or Magnetic Accelerator Cannon in the Halo universe).

It's a bit of a stretch, especially on the "2 shots to kill and M6" part, but it's just the way things are. I'd kind of like to see a projectile that can take out a ship's sheild in 1 hit, but takes forever to re-load and does 0 hull damage. would work perfectly if it's only mountable on a bomber class ship, which would only have a rear turret for self-defense.

Banana Split
x3

Post by Banana Split » Sun, 3. Jul 05, 12:16

MDs have the potential to be soooo cool. Think of how satisfying miniguns feel in FPS games, that's what they should be like! A whine as the barrel spins, then a deep rumbling roar as it fires a storm of bullets. :D

JihadJoe

Post by JihadJoe » Sun, 3. Jul 05, 13:35

I just think that all of the ideas posted here are TOTALY modle.I simply hope that in X3 things will be more like that...

TradinCajun
x3tc

Post by TradinCajun » Sun, 3. Jul 05, 13:43

ajsarge, great idea. Brought back fond memories of the mass driver gun in Descent 3. When you hold down the fire button your view zooms in toward the target then when you release the button the gun recoil kicks you back. An instant hit sniper rifle, 1 or 2 shots was all it would take for a kill. It would also pass thru the first target and continue on and also hit/kill whatever was behind the first target.

My favorite combo kill was to fire a black shark missle (creates a sort of a blackhole at the target site sucking anything nearby into it.) then if THAT didn't instantly kill them, fire the mass driver into the singularity obliterating anything and everything inside. :twisted:

Also deadly was the fusion cannon. Very similar to the BFG in Doom. This time when you hold the fire button down the plasma gun builds up a charge. The longer you hold it the stronger the blast. Hold it too long and you overload the weapon causing damage to your ship. Would love to see something like those 3 weapons in X3. :D

JihadJoe

Post by JihadJoe » Sun, 3. Jul 05, 17:30

so it will be like Doom 3 in space ?
I know that it will look better :lol:

Tenlar Scarflame
xr

Post by Tenlar Scarflame » Sun, 3. Jul 05, 18:30

I'm liking AJsarge's breakdown. 8)
Personally I'm thinking the IRE shouldn't just be a weaker PAC, and the PAC shouldn't just be a weaker HEPT. They should all do something different, like the PAC has really really fast bullets, or the HEPT if fired for too long will start to deal miniscule damage to your ship (the whole radiation business they talk about)... something like that. And the Alpha/Beta/Gamma breakdown should be more pronounced.

rant over :P

I haven't tried any mods yet, but the Burianek one sounds like it's worth looking into... does it increase bullet speed at all??
My music - Von Neumann's Children - Lasers and Tactics

I'm on Twitch! 21:15 EST Sundays. Come watch me die a lot.

Charlie Whiskey
x3tc

Post by Charlie Whiskey » Sun, 3. Jul 05, 18:31

I really don't mind some extra unconventional weapons. :)
"WhiskeyCorp - The universe's local monopoly" (TM)

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”