X-Online

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Would You Play And 'X-Online' Game?

Yes
69%
No
31%

Total votes: 137

Shadowbourne
x3

X-Online

Post by Shadowbourne » Wed, 6. Jul 05, 20:55

Has anyone ever thought of this. How cool would it be to have an online X Universe, that users could log into and play on. So instead of a Univers full of AI, there would be a Universe full of real people. All with their own factories, freighters and combat ships. If you think about, the X2 game is actualy really well suited to being an online game, and best of all; all ecomony issues would be sorted out, because they would be controlled on actual supply and demand, rather than AI trying to work out what the price should be.

Actually setting it up would be pretty hard (Scripting Nightmare!), but not impossible. Maybe this could be a good idea for X4 if it ever comes out. PLease respond to the Poll and post if you think this would be a good idea.

EvilLord
x2

Post by EvilLord » Wed, 6. Jul 05, 20:59

Has anyone ever thought of this.
Yes. Do a search for X-online. I'll bet there are at least 30 threads for the last month.
Life's a pile of sh*t, and we're just the flies eating it.

Coming soon to an asylum near you...

In loving memory of the word association thread, locked after 11628 replies.

terrabyte
x3

Post by terrabyte » Wed, 6. Jul 05, 20:59

"I've seen things, you people wouldn't believe, hmmm."

Who am I :?: , I am but the sum of my experiences… and today I am more than I was yesterday. :goner:

softweir
xr

Post by softweir » Wed, 6. Jul 05, 21:26

Please add an option "Maybe". It all depends on too many variables.
My new fave game (while waiting for Rebirth) - Kerbal Space Program

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Wed, 6. Jul 05, 21:27

Not on your nelly. X is a solo sport as far as I am concerned. Like some other "manly pursuits" :P
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 6. Jul 05, 21:48

esd wrote:Like some other "manly pursuits" :P
I didn't know you were a lumberjack.

Shadowbourne
x3

Post by Shadowbourne » Wed, 6. Jul 05, 21:50

EvilLord wrote:
Has anyone ever thought of this.
Yes. Do a search for X-online. I'll bet there are at least 30 threads for the last month.

:lol: And there's me thinking I'd come up with something new and original!

giskard
xr

Post by giskard » Wed, 6. Jul 05, 22:03

XOU is always a good topic to bring up.

X has the potential to kick all other space MMogs in the nuts and leave them doubled over in pain.

It has 2 major issues right now.

1) Lack of funding.
2) Players too scared of Player 2 player features.

Solve those and XOU be a winner, im sure of it.

For me point 2 is not an issue because I have faith in the existing player base.

Giskard
This signature has been stolen by the well known Teladi Signature Thief X Siggy.

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Wed, 6. Jul 05, 22:08

2) Players too scared of Player 2 player features
If in that you include "omgroffles h/\X0r 3XTR3m3! 1 0w|\|z0r j00!!112233" then yes.
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Wed, 6. Jul 05, 22:56

esd wrote:
2) Players too scared of Player 2 player features
If in that you include "omgroffles h/\X0r 3XTR3m3! 1 0w|\|z0r j00!!112233" then yes.
I play mulitplayer games A LOT and dont have much problems with stuff like that. Besides, any good multiplayer game has a 'mute' option.
I would say closer to 100.

Red Spot
x3

Post by Red Spot » Wed, 6. Jul 05, 23:18

voted 'no' ..

my motivation ..
I dont see the X games as a MP game .. not in the format that they are ..

I see X2 as a game for patient people .. and I never seen a MP game that you could play in a 'relaxed' kinda way .. its all one big rush in an MP game .. not paying attention for a min. .. being afk for a min. .. is deadly in an MP game ..
and for a game as X2 you need time .. time for about everything .. if you want to spend some time on your trading fleet .. you can .. in an MP game .. if you dont keep watching your six .. your toast ..

dont get me wrong .. I'd like to see an MP game like X2 .. but than only the combat-part .. with some kinda simple 'get resources for ships' kinda formula ..(like only having ore-mines .. and ships cost x-ore ..)

G

The_Abyss
x3

Post by The_Abyss » Wed, 6. Jul 05, 23:20

An online X universe is the ultimate goal.

Buy a copy of X3 and help it on it's way.

Buy 5 copies and tell 10 people about it to speed up the process.

Buy 5,000,000 copies, and have a small part to say in how you would like it to be developed.

Or join the Devnet :p
Strung out on Britain's high, hitting an all time low

Shadowbourne
x3

Post by Shadowbourne » Thu, 7. Jul 05, 10:28

Buy 5,000,000 copies, and have a small part to say in how you would like it to be developed.
Would I get discount for buying in Bulk? :P

Spacejam
x3

Post by Spacejam » Thu, 7. Jul 05, 11:48

Have to wote no - I expect X as a SP-game - I don't think X would be good as MMOG and I need X as SP to get away from this online playingstyle. . . you know; Hey man I saw something. . . . KILL KILL KILL KILL KILL KILL KILL KILL :wink: anyway when I need to go online I play EVE!!
Fly safe!
----------
GAMEDAY: 8
CR: 60+ mill
UT: 10
SHIPS: 1xM7, 1xM6, 1xM3+, 1xM3, 1xM5, 14xTS
FACTORYS: 1xSilicon-L, 1xOre-L
COMPLEX: 1 whisky (2xD-L, 2xW-L, 2xB-M, 2xR-M, 2xCRY-M, 2xSSP-M)

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Thu, 7. Jul 05, 12:04

Just think how many problems it will solve. No bad AI, good chalenges between players. Huge wars. It would be great.

Right now we need to focus on X3 advertising. I looked through the "edge" magazine. In the PC section on the E3 show, X3 was no where!!! It shocked me so much. X3 needs more public awareness!

Im talking A3 posters, pages and pages of magazine info, a great movie or demo for Xbox and PC magazines. Come the think about it, has X3 been shown in Xbox magazines, that is if that is where it will go.
Come watch me on Twitch where I occasionally play several of the X games

Spacejam
x3

Post by Spacejam » Thu, 7. Jul 05, 12:38

OML wrote:Just think how many problems it will solve. No bad AI, good chalenges between players. Huge wars. It would be great.
He he - no bad AI in MMOG games you say - oh yes there are - ppl are the bad AI :wink: And if you are a builder-type, strategist, thinker you soon (very soon) longing for you X universe!! Trust me pal :)

MMOG only works for fighting (PVP) and here MMOG also comes to short if you want huge battles it cant be done yet cause of the machinery (server cluster) still can’t cope. In EVE you have some of the best setup for MMOG and . . . no big . . . huge . . . battles cause of severe lak. EVE states this is a possibility but in real you can’t do it - if you don’t believe me m8 then go read on EVE forum!!

Let X-universe be only SP type game plz – cause if it turn over to MMOG I believe SP X-universe will be forgotten.

Also I don’t like the payment type you do in MMOG to play the games!!
Fly safe!
----------
GAMEDAY: 8
CR: 60+ mill
UT: 10
SHIPS: 1xM7, 1xM6, 1xM3+, 1xM3, 1xM5, 14xTS
FACTORYS: 1xSilicon-L, 1xOre-L
COMPLEX: 1 whisky (2xD-L, 2xW-L, 2xB-M, 2xR-M, 2xCRY-M, 2xSSP-M)

Shadowbourne
x3

Post by Shadowbourne » Thu, 7. Jul 05, 17:33

A Demo could be tricky, since the X games require time and patients (or SETA! Yeah :D ). But Even if a movie doesn't get circulated in Mags, i'm sure someone could download the movie and send it to everyone they know and tell them to the same and it could get circulated that way.

Creston
x3tc

Post by Creston » Thu, 7. Jul 05, 19:11

The biggest problem with an X-Online universe, in my opinion, is that it will shatter the Empire Building portion of the game.

Sure, we could all still build them in X-O, but what would we see then? If I draw an analogy to X2, we'd see 50 million SPPs in Kingdom End by the end of the first week? Everyone's going to hoard the good spots, all the early comers will be kings of the universe, and all the peeps who start a week later will be out of luck, since all the good economic spots are already oversaturated.

Then comes the additional problem of guarding your empire. In a single player X2 game it's pretty easy. The Khaak aren't that clever, and they are no threat to your fabs. And if ever a huge cluster of khaak appear somewhere, you take them out.
Port this to X-O. Any player is a threat to another player. So how do you defend your stuff? With AI driven fighters / capships? Please. We all know how useless they would be. Any decent player will tear through any AI defenses as if they aren't even there, BECAUSE he is a player and will always outwit any programmed AI.

And what will you do if a FLEET of players shows up to wipe out your empire? You may say that that's the thrill of the game now, but how will you react if you spent 2 months building that empire, at 15 bucks a month no less, and some griefers come and wipe it out.
"HAHAHAHA W3 0wnz0R3d j00!!1!1!one!!!"

Will you still be having fun? I seriously doubt it.

Now, would I like such a threat to exist in the single player X games, yes I would actually. Why? Because it's still an AI threat, and it can still be contained. You cannot contain a potential player threat in X-O.
Even more, my Single player X game doesn't threaten my empire while I sleep. X-O does.
Imagine logging on and seeing your whole empire destroyed while you weren't even there.

Yeah, I'm sure this will all be a ton of fun...

The only way around this is to make PvP only zones and no PvP anywhere else, and that will have tons of people complaining that it's not free / open ended enough.

No, I wouldn't play X-O. Then again, I don't play ANY mmorpgs anyways, since I refuse to pay 15 bucks a month for a game that I already paid 50 bucks for.
Guild Wars noticeably excepted (and played). :)

Creston

fchopin
x3

Post by fchopin » Thu, 7. Jul 05, 20:23

Yes I would certainly play on online X-Universe game.
When there are no more games it is time for music.

giskard
xr

Post by giskard » Thu, 7. Jul 05, 20:39

Why do people always take the negative points and ignore the good points in any debate ?

The best thing about mmogs, especially empire building mmogs is the sense of cooperation and team work. Its extremely rewarding, even when a side has multiple clans all building their own little empire you will see those clans on the same side cooperating and protecting each others assests.

Soon entire fleets will stand ready to protect your Dolphin, not because they love the borons but because your on their side and they want to send a message to anybody who would consider attacking anybody on their side.

Hot heads who would normally do those types of things either do it within the rules of the game as programmed in by Egosoft or they find them selves hunted down and forced to start again under a different name.

The lessons are learned quickly when the games own code controls the rules.

There is nothing to fear from an online version of X but there is an amazing about of depth and fun to had from playing along side like minded players.

Giskard
This signature has been stolen by the well known Teladi Signature Thief X Siggy.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”