Doubleshadow's 3dMax import scripts!

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X²: The Threat.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

DeadlyDa
x4

Doubleshadow's 3dMax import scripts!

Post by DeadlyDa » Wed, 20. Jul 05, 17:06

Great news for X2 graphics modders!

Doubleshadow, our X2 tools wizard from the Czech Republic has done it again! We now have a very powerful MaxScript that can be used to import X2 parts AND ship scenes into 3dMax 5, 6, 7, and GMAX 1.2.

This is a replacement for the original MaxScript developed by Altor, but is a completely original work. This tool is based on the research Doubleshadow did when he created the BOB Compiler, and uses the same logic to process the BOD files.

I have extensively tested this very powerful tool, and it does everything you could ask for.

1. When importing parts, the X2 BOD Importer will accurately import parts with complete texture mapping (color, bump, reflection, self-illumination) as well as all relevant parameters (e.g. Opacity). More importantly, the long standing problem of incorrectly sized parts has been solved...all parts are correctly sized on import. No more hassle trying to get a part to scale properly on export.

2. You can now import a complete ship scene in a single operation! (Waits patiently for the applause to die down...) This incredibly powerful feature will read a ship scene file, and import all parts associated with it. Wait...it gets better! All the parts are correctly positioned and rotated as per the scene file! For example, you can import the Argon Nova, and have the entire thing sitting there in 3dMax...complete with attitude jets, position lights, etc...which you can then alter in whatever way your black twisted little mind desires!

Oh, yeah...this puppy also works with GMax (woah!), although there is currently no way to export things back into X2. Currently the Egosoft supplied DLL's are only available for 3dmax 5 & 6.

...'Nuf said! If you are into modding the graphics of X2, and have access to a copy of 3dMax, you really need to have this tool.

You can get it here: http://www.doubleshadow.wz.cz/x2bi
Last edited by DeadlyDa on Thu, 21. Jul 05, 15:08, edited 1 time in total.

fegnoid
x3

Post by fegnoid » Thu, 21. Jul 05, 01:20

at last how much easier this will make life..... one step closer to my mod....
He got owned by a sink....

Galaxy613
x4

Post by Galaxy613 » Thu, 21. Jul 05, 01:59

When will there be a exporter version? Altor's used to be able to Import and Export, but this can only Import. Also sense I have 3DSMax 7 the offical plugins from Egosoft will not work. :|
10,000 Lightyears of awesomeness

DeadlyDa
x4

Post by DeadlyDa » Thu, 21. Jul 05, 02:22

Galaxy613 said...
When will there be a exporter version?
Ah...now that would be telling! We'll just have to wait and see :P

Did you actually try the Egosoft-supplied DLL's for Max 6? Just curious about the results, if any.

Galaxy613
x4

Post by Galaxy613 » Thu, 21. Jul 05, 02:48

It... It... works prefectly!?! :o I successfully exported a box and used that russain BOD-Looker-at-er program and it exported correctly! :o

Now I just need to get textures and maybe LOD to work and you'll see some of my space craft in X2. :twisted:

This, plus the exporter, plus the BOB decompiler, is invaluable. Plus add Doubleshadow's X2 Editor and CheckerTwo's OBJ editor you can add any new ship you want! :D

W00t!
[ external image ]

Moonraven
x3

Post by Moonraven » Thu, 21. Jul 05, 07:44

first...the scripts works great (max 7). a dream will come true :)

@Galaxy613

i heared in the german forum, that some people don't get the EGO-Exporter to work with max 7. But i tryed it, and it works perfekt, with the plugin for max 6.
Gruß Moonraven
Wer lesen kann, ist ganz klar im Vorteil.
[ external image ]

Tsar_of_Cows
x4

Post by Tsar_of_Cows » Thu, 21. Jul 05, 18:06

Will it be possible then to edit ships with GMax and forward it to a person in posession of 3DSMax for exporting back into X2?

If So, I shall soon be unleashing a good old fashioned mothership for the hell of it :P

Earthpilot
x3tc

Post by Earthpilot » Thu, 21. Jul 05, 18:11

Impressive!

But i have a question:
How are the - let me call it "secondary scenes" handled?

e.g. the Paranid door at the Zeus.

With Altors Importer only the body featured in the scene file was imported
(in this case the entry tunnel). The doors themselves were not.

Is that considered in this importer?

DeadlyDa
x4

Post by DeadlyDa » Thu, 21. Jul 05, 18:37

Earthpilot,

The script can only import elements that are identified in the scene file.

The doors you are speaking about are provided by animations which are apparently imbeded into the OBJ file, and linked to the part. In the case of the 10216 part (the Paranid docking facility), as well as for the standard 79 docking part, there is nothing defined in the part with which to draw the door that you actually see in-game.

Dragon_Lord
x2

Post by Dragon_Lord » Sun, 24. Jul 05, 04:51

Hi, im one of those people who cant get it to work with max 7. Is there any other tools that might work because iv got a whole race of ships just waiting for export!!!

p.s where can i get that BOB tool?

DeadlyDa
x4

Post by DeadlyDa » Sun, 24. Jul 05, 05:00

Dragon_Lord,

While there are never any promises in this game, I do know that creating the export side of the script is on Doubleshadow's "radar". He certainly has the knowledge and understanding to create it.

Also, I would imagine that once X3 comes out, our friends at Egosoft would be providing additional dev tools & doc's...hopefullt to include the Max 7 ecport DLL.

Regarding your last comment, what BOB tool are you looking for?

Dragon_Lord
x2

Post by Dragon_Lord » Sun, 24. Jul 05, 05:59

i hope egosoft brings out new tools for max 7 with X3 release but i can wait that long!

is there any other known tool that can export scenes to X2? i was thinking of editing a CUT ID file with the different bod information and what not but then i took a look at one and i was like :o ...next plan.

Moonraven
x3

Post by Moonraven » Sun, 24. Jul 05, 10:57

Well, the only thing i can do is to offer you to export the ships for you. I run Max 7 and the DLL works :)
Gruß Moonraven
[ external image ]

nuclear_eclipse
x3tc

Post by nuclear_eclipse » Sun, 24. Jul 05, 13:27

How did you get the exporter dll to work with 3dsmax7? Did you just throw it in the startup scripts directory and it worked, or did you update max, or do anything else to get it to work?

laux
x3tc

Post by laux » Sun, 24. Jul 05, 13:28

hi,
today tested the script with my 3dsmax7.
Import of Body files works perfectly.

But if i start to import a scene i get a "runtime error"

Code: Select all

if id <= frames[mid].id then _max=mid - 1;

Than the scene will be imported and i have to restart the script to import the next scene.
So, i´m able to import the scene but somewhere is a mistake. :?

Moonraven
x3

Post by Moonraven » Sun, 24. Jul 05, 14:09

Well..for the IMPORT-Scripts:

I have done, what is written in the readme-file. I've put them in the
directorys and it worked.

The same i've done with the export.dll from Egosoft. :)
Gruß Moonraven
[ external image ]

Galaxy613
x4

Post by Galaxy613 » Sun, 24. Jul 05, 20:02

Well, I'm on my way of exporting parts and exporting scenes from 3DSMax, this import really helps in making sure the parts and scenes have been exported correctly! :D Hopefully soon I can get something out to show people!

Return to “X²: The Threat - Scripts and Modding”