Ever won the Lottery?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

have you ever won the lottery?

Poll ended at Sat, 6. Aug 05, 15:41

yes I have
8%
no but I have bought a ticket
68%
no never bothered with it
24%

Total votes: 62

lauristone
x2

Ever won the Lottery?

Post by lauristone » Mon, 1. Aug 05, 15:41

Has anyone ever bought a lottery ticket or even won it

I myself have never bothered it but I be interested to here if someone has actually got anything out of it

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Mon, 1. Aug 05, 15:45

If you were to look around or search you'd quickly realise that no-one has ever won the lottery. In my opinion, it cannot be won and is merely there as an "atmospheric prop". My reasoning for this is that a) the money would never fit in your account and b) the developers have said the code/text for having won is in the game, but they've never said if the code TO win is.

Besides, even if it was winnable, the odds of you getting hit by lightning 3times in a row tomorrow are higher :wink:
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

Steel Toad
x2

Post by Steel Toad » Mon, 1. Aug 05, 15:45

i think its impossible... with the odds in the billions, its nearly impossible, at least. Multiply the chance of winning a lottery in real life by the chance of being struck by lightning (resulting in a smaller number), and you'll know whatI mean.
Blowing up SPP's can cause a blackout...

Chaq_huan
x2

Post by Chaq_huan » Mon, 1. Aug 05, 15:45

OF COURSE i have...hasn't everybody.....

I even have the Photshopped screenies to prove it.

*puts on flame retardant Vest*

I have seen sooooo many posts on this subject, i feel as if they are a compulsary post every few weeks.

Edit: *Whoa..beaten by two people....thought i had that one
You will never escape from my Falcon...
[ external image ]....Just don't move.

Carl Sumner
x4

Post by Carl Sumner » Mon, 1. Aug 05, 22:03

I heard that the tax on the lottery winnings was 98%, so what was left might fit in your account ok. :)

But, you are buying the tickets from some fly-by-night hey-joe-good-deal guy in a station flea market. What are the odds that the tickets are fake, anyway! :P

(Wait a minute! The ink is coming off on my fingers! :o )
Tinker

"If engineers built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization!"

Some Strange Man
x3

Post by Some Strange Man » Mon, 1. Aug 05, 22:38

The odds on the X2 lottery are about 14 hundred thousand, squared, and multiplied by ten to one, or about 196,000,000,000 to 1

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 1. Aug 05, 22:50

1 in 171,200,862,756 to be precise.

Jon Tetrino
x4

Post by Jon Tetrino » Mon, 1. Aug 05, 23:01

someone post some link-aaaaaaaaage please to that topic where it was worked out

EDIT: to late :P linkage

Electric_Kola
x3tc

Post by Electric_Kola » Tue, 2. Aug 05, 01:34

god talk about having alot of time on your hands!
"There must be a finite number of inhabited worlds. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near to nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the universe can be said to be zero, From this it follows that the population of the universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely the product of a deranged imagination" - Douglas Adams

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Tue, 2. Aug 05, 02:13

so, if you are still alive after being hit by lightning 200,000 (or whatever) time, you can win the X2 lottery.

Bean101
x3

Post by Bean101 » Tue, 2. Aug 05, 02:14

I reckon we should make a script that flies a very fast ship to every station with a lottery and buys it. Have that running on about 100 computers and leave it a month. And also have some trained monkeys to press the all powerful SETA button inbetween stations. That would get to the bottom of it.
"In the beginning there was nothing... which exploded." - Abridged 'Big Bang' theory

o1derfull1
x2

Post by o1derfull1 » Tue, 2. Aug 05, 02:20

what? where's the mischeif? I expected to see at least one "Yea, I won the lottery, but only after I capped the UFO because they're the ones that run the lottery, and I ransomed their ship back to them in exchange for the winning numbers" answer.
eagerly awaiting X3....

nifty X2 guides collected in one thread:
www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtopic.php?t=84410
Also
http://www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtopic.php?t=84410

theKettle
x3

Post by theKettle » Tue, 2. Aug 05, 03:45

o1derfull1 wrote:what? where's the mischeif? I expected to see at least one "Yea, I won the lottery, but only after I capped the UFO because they're the ones that run the lottery, and I ransomed their ship back to them in exchange for the winning numbers" answer.
I tried that, they wouldn't cooperate. Said they needed all the money to keep equipment docks running and to rebuild the Xenon fleets. Vicious little buggers, the one I caught nearly bit my thumb off.
------------------

If I want to be toned up, calmed down, invigorated or anything then it's very simple. I just have a cup of tea.

Raptor_Z3
x2

Post by Raptor_Z3 » Tue, 2. Aug 05, 05:48

When i started this lottery thing i did it several times when i has a spare 2000CR laying around but then it got fishy after a few times because i instantly realised everytime i bought a ticket at the same SPP the seller was always a different person with different plots saying buy em cheap or help me out my boss is gonna kill me if i dont sell them in time.

so i said stuff this u bunch of lying theives and thus i stopped buying tickets.

if anyone has a way of winning one of these tickets without cheating ill be glad to know!

YaWanLong
x2

Post by YaWanLong » Wed, 3. Aug 05, 11:11

What if everyone in these forums(even the non-english ones) buy 10 tickets what would the odds be :?
Patch 1.4
All in one Bonus Pack V 1.03.03
----------
Pedigree: Privateer(all), MOO(all), HomeWorld(all), Space Empires(IV), Pirates!(all), Port Royale(2), X-Wing(all), Star Control(all) and other ship & sail games.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 3. Aug 05, 11:35

Right now there are 125284 registered forum users, though many of them are not active. If each one bought 10 tickets then, assuming every ticket was different, the odds would be approximately 1 in 136,650 of one of them winning. In other words if every forum member bought 10 tickets every day for the next 374 years, one of them should probably come up with a winning one.

JamieKnowles
x4

Post by JamieKnowles » Wed, 3. Aug 05, 11:50

CBJ wrote:....if every forum member bought 10 tickets every day for the next 374 years, one of them should probably come up with a winning one.
Well, we'd best get started then :)

lauristone
x2

Post by lauristone » Wed, 3. Aug 05, 11:50

would we not have to be playing the same game
or does that work with everyone playing their own

EvilLord
x2

Post by EvilLord » Wed, 3. Aug 05, 12:25

I'm not even going to bother writing a new reply to this thread. I'll just post a link to a prevoius thread with my reply in:

http://www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtop ... 4&start=30
Life's a pile of sh*t, and we're just the flies eating it.

Coming soon to an asylum near you...

In loving memory of the word association thread, locked after 11628 replies.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 3. Aug 05, 23:23

lauristone wrote:would we not have to be playing the same game
or does that work with everyone playing their own
It's just a matter of probability, so no, they don't all have to be playing the same game. Of course, probability being what it is, you could play the game for those 374 years and STILL nobody wins--or somebody could win in the first half hour of the experiment.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”