New X² website - URL 'Online'

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

terrabyte
x3

New X² website - URL 'Online'

Post by terrabyte » Sun, 27. Jul 03, 21:25

To All :x2: Fans and Moderators

As I’ve recently mentioned I have been working on a new X² website for fans. I have tried to include features that will be useful and helpful to the X-Fan community.

I have tested it for any major bugs and errors, but would appreciate :) some help fro the X-Fan Community to test it for users, before I bring it online for all to use, by publishing the link.

I am looking for five to ten people and any moderators, to visit and register on the site and use it over the next week or two, (allotted time depends on the amount of problems encountered) to give it a good shakedown and use the site as users.

I have relaxed the features for the testing period, but may change the policies after advice is given and how the site usage goes.

The only condition that I ask of the site beta testers is that they do not reveal the site web address until I have fixed anything that needs fixing. The site hopefully will be open for all to access in a couple of weeks depending on how the testing goes.

What can I offer you for doing this testing?, well you will be the first users to get to use the site, and stamp your user names all over it before others register their chosen user names. Any one who wants to add more content can use the site to do so or email me from site with the stories, info, and any pics you want put up..

If you are a bit web savvy or are willing to give it some testing as a user, add your name to to this topic and l get back to you in the next couple of days.

I will let all the volunteers know the web address at the same time on Tuesday/ Wednesday evening. (I have to get the backups done and make some final changes. If there are more than ten, I'll put the names in a hat or up the number. depending on the response. Be the first on a virgin site 8). Volunteers will be given a free yourid@thesite.com email address that redirects to your own email address.

Anyone who can contribute a permanent site feature like a flash banner or logo will win an email address of yourid@thissite.com and some other thing like free file space on the server.

There are a number of features but little content, as I have been building modifying and testing to-date. The site has some flash components so make sure you have flash installed. A number of features are only available if you are a registered user.

i.e.
  • Your Space Artist gallery picture upload facility
    Your Clan Details Pages for you to add Can or Species Bios
    Your Internet Signature and Avatar Picture Upload and Storage for use anywhere
    Your Web Cam Page
    Your Web Mail account
PS/ Could the moderators let me know about what types Egosoft pictures I can have on the site (copyright wise). i.e. not IGN ones etc ?. Any news on that Website pack for X² yet ?.

• Modules

· Home
    Home page

· Artist Gallery 8)
    A picture gallery, for ship and space artists to place their work. This needs testing and though I am happy with this module, I will upgrade it to a later version which is presently a little buggy at a later date. Though I have tested with a recent picture, it is really just meant for artists to load pictures they made in to the gallery.

· Chat
    This is site local basic chat system, not irc or otherwise enabled. I am still looking at couple of mIRC phpnuke modules. Anyone who can recommend a good module package would be appreciated.

· Clan Pages 8)
    This is a Clan Race database that Clans can Add their details to create a library of Clans and their Bio Detals.

· FAQ
    This at presently is the site faq of rules. I would appreciate any re-writes of this from the Egosoft Forum Admin and Mods. All suggestions welcome. It will in future also carry game faqs and others that are applicable.

· Forums
    Speaks for itself, the forum’s are
    • X² Online
      General Discussion
      (General chat on the X² The Threat game created by Egosoft.)

X² Scripts
      (X² Scripts Info and Help)

Mission Briefings
      (Mission briefings and hint's, clues and help )

Online Universe Clans
      Clan Neutral Sector
      (Place where Clans can talk but not shoot.)

Clan War
      (Clan Declarations of War, a place to shoot, not talk. )

Computer Technical
      DOA Computers
      (Computer technical and related topics)
    · Google
    Flash Search Engine registered with Google

· Guestbook
    A Guest book for registered users

· Internet Radio
    Site un-dock able win media player with Capital radio. I will also be setting up a page soon for X-Fan Radio Shows to be listed and provide an Shoutcast redirection IP to add bandwidth for broadcasters from my 1mb bb connection.

· Members List
    List of members

· Private Messages
    PM message system

· Search
    Site search

· Statistics
    Site Statistics

· Stories Archive
    Stories Archive (empty at moment)

·Submit News
    Submit News articles

· Surveys
    Usual Surveys

· Top 10
    Site Top 10 Listings

· Topics
    List of site Topics

· Upload Sigs 8)
    This is a bonus feature, registered users with no website can upload their Forum signatures and avatars.

· Web Cams 8)
    Pages for the community to set-up their web cams… I’ve not used nor tested this yet, it should be fun.

· Web Links
    Site and X and X2 related websites for people to add links to their recommended sites.. (Egosoft is already on it)

· Web Mail 8)
    A place to setup and access your email from this web mail service.

· Who-is-Where
    Where is everyone on the site

· Your Account
    Access your Forum/Site account details.
[ external image ]
Thanks for now Terrabyte :khaak:
Last edited by terrabyte on Fri, 1. Aug 03, 09:56, edited 6 times in total.
"I've seen things, you people wouldn't believe, hmmm."

Who am I :?: , I am but the sum of my experiences… and today I am more than I was yesterday. :goner:

Scall[BS]
x3

Post by Scall[BS] » Sun, 27. Jul 03, 21:33

I could translate it into German.
But I have so much to do.
Ill contakt you per PM.
Like the eagle in the dove
Fly so high on wings above
When all you see can only bring you sadness
Like a river we will flow on towards the sea we go
When all you do can only bring you sadness

terrabyte
x3

Post by terrabyte » Sun, 27. Jul 03, 21:38

The site is phpnuke so it will do many languages including German. But I've not tested the change language feature across all of the site, to see where I need some extra German language sections. If you are interested ?

Who am I :?: , I am but the sum of my experiences… and today I am more than I was yesterday. :goner:

Scall[BS]
x3

Post by Scall[BS] » Sun, 27. Jul 03, 21:40

Read my PM.
Because I have not much time and I could only make one of this.
Like the eagle in the dove
Fly so high on wings above
When all you see can only bring you sadness
Like a river we will flow on towards the sea we go
When all you do can only bring you sadness

terrabyte
x3

Post by terrabyte » Sun, 27. Jul 03, 23:56

Just an update for those who want volunteer to check the site over, I will pm the site url address when they pm that they will not mention the site address until it is tested. :)

Thanks terrabyte

General Morphit
x3

Post by General Morphit » Mon, 28. Jul 03, 00:10

Sure, I'll give it a test, sure sounds like a good idea, i never know when the radio shows are on.. Anyway, you can e-mail me on: morphit @ ntlword.com

SF3

Post by SF3 » Mon, 28. Jul 03, 08:43

I would like to give it a whirl, I've also some skills which might be of use in the future maybe.... You might decline me or something because this is my first post, but I had been around here much longer than my registration date, and are more than willing to help you out...

Reach me @ swingfreak3_@hotmail.com

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Mon, 28. Jul 03, 12:25

count me in. The site looks cool
Come watch me on Twitch where I occasionally play several of the X games

Apothos
x3tc

Post by Apothos » Mon, 28. Jul 03, 12:57

I'll have a look see - tho i wont have much free time for a week or so from wednesday.

Tiberian Commander
x3tc

Post by Tiberian Commander » Mon, 28. Jul 03, 13:27

Hi, pm me and i'll have a look. 8)

[WW]Hammer
x2

Post by [WW]Hammer » Mon, 28. Jul 03, 14:01

Hi!

The site looks very good :thumb_up: , but I think you'll have to change the name/title.
I read the news and thought it was a Joke because "online universe" will still take some time untill its online.. :wink:
Then I saw its the title of the site. :roll:
I think its a little bit confusing, especially for new Xers
Nur Benutzer mit speziellen Rechten haben die Berechtigung, diese Signatur zu lesen.
Bitte senden sie ihre Personenkennziffer zur Registrierung an folgende Adresse...

terrabyte
x3

Post by terrabyte » Mon, 28. Jul 03, 23:34

To the guys currently testing the site. I have made some changes to the server details that should improve the performance and made a couple of corrections. :o

The site will be offline for 12 to 24 hours depending on how long it takes to filter the changes through.. :(

It should be available again some time tomorrow..the performace should be faster then.. :)

Thanks for your contributions and feedback so far.. :D

Gary Bolton

Post by Gary Bolton » Tue, 29. Jul 03, 02:46

If you require any help with images being re-sized, or borders being added to them. Give us a shout!

Or anything else you feel I might be able to help you with regarding the look of the website itself. Don't really have a lot of time away from my own stuff, but I'm willing to help you were I can.
DELETE MY ACCOUNT!!!

Tiberian Commander
x3tc

Post by Tiberian Commander » Tue, 29. Jul 03, 03:45

Thanks for the link, but it don't work for me.

I click the image and nothing happens. :(

terrabyte
x3

Post by terrabyte » Tue, 29. Jul 03, 13:33

@Tiberian Commander

The others got in ok. There were performance problems identified which should now be better. The pages will probably take a little longer for the first time, are you 56k or bb ?.

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Tue, 29. Jul 03, 13:42

Now Im transported to a strange page with
Web ulitys
DB ulities
E-mail ulities.

It worked yesterday.
Come watch me on Twitch where I occasionally play several of the X games

Tiberian Commander
x3tc

Post by Tiberian Commander » Tue, 29. Jul 03, 14:14

I think it would be best to highlight the link -

Your account has been activated. Please login from this link using your assigned Nickname and Password.

Your account has been activated. Please login from ( this link ) using your assigned Nickname and Password.

I was trying to see the link, but was not highlighted.

terrabyte
x3

Post by terrabyte » Tue, 29. Jul 03, 23:12

To the guys with the url

Fixed a couple of issues, including a spelling or two. :oops:

I will be creating more categories for the Artist Gallery to devide X² pictures, X² Wallpaper and Origional Ship Art. :wink:

Thanks to a certain individual thirtyfive pictures have been added to the gallery. 8)

The site should now be, a bit faster (it is for me). :)

Steve's Web Pack has been put to immediate use in the module (Faqs) now named - X² The Faqs. :D

Links have been added to

There will be more of the webpack put to use tomorrow and thursday.

Thanks for the feedback to-date, it has been appreciated a great deal. :x2:

Cheers Terrabyte

terrabyte
x3

Post by terrabyte » Tue, 29. Jul 03, 23:25

@ Xenon_Slayer
I've sent a Pm with the fix, it was because I made changes that meant it was closed for a few hours.

@ Tiberian Commander

Believe it or not, I fell into that trap on the first account i logged in with :oops:

I will change it there and in a couple of ther places

Cheers terrabyte

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Wed, 30. Jul 03, 21:15

Nice lookin site, i hope to register on the forum when it's finished. :)

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”