Question on AEGIS

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X²: The Threat.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Shadow Raptor

Question on AEGIS

Post by Shadow Raptor » Mon, 3. Oct 05, 03:20

I was just wondering why the Aegis gunnery upgrade costs 54 million; whats so good about it?
The next thing I say to you will be true, the last thing I said was false

silentWitness
x3tc

Post by silentWitness » Mon, 3. Oct 05, 03:23

Why... everything...

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Mon, 3. Oct 05, 03:27

Actually, on my Oddie, I havent noticed any significant difference.

On my M6, they use the lower grade guns in the turrents all the time, set on maximum captures, and the cap rate is identical to what it was before.

Care to list the effects, because I havent seen any so far.

Shadow Raptor

Post by Shadow Raptor » Mon, 3. Oct 05, 03:36

but the upgrade costs more than my destroyer, so why waste 50 000 000 for nothing?

The Necromancer

Post by The Necromancer » Mon, 3. Oct 05, 03:39

But have hired the naval crews to run it? :gruebel:
Well If I can't sell it Kill it!

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Mon, 3. Oct 05, 03:42

Sure. If you dont, the commands are lowlighted.

solah
x3

Post by solah » Mon, 3. Oct 05, 04:44

The only difference I have noticed is the additional use of ID's on the Titan. In theory that should increase the capture rate, however with the shields down, another turret generally cleans up the ship before it is captured.

I still find it easier to capture in the Osprey, at least I can choose when I want to fire.

In hind-site, I would not bother with the AEGIS component, but Gunnery Crews are worth their weight in gold.
The ability to instintively change weapons to destroy incoming missiles, or change to a light weapon simply to track from a recently destroyed target to a newly aquired target coming from the opposite direction is quite clever. (ever tried to track using a PPC)

RagX

Post by RagX » Mon, 3. Oct 05, 06:19

the hard hitter is in it's price, and the crew upkeep (which practically drained my account of my money, and I only had it on when I needed it the most [yes, I went for the standard turret:attack enemies even in tough battles]).

solah
x3

Post by solah » Mon, 3. Oct 05, 07:06

Havn't noticed the upkeep cost (too much money in the account).

How much does it cost?

Shadow Raptor

Post by Shadow Raptor » Mon, 3. Oct 05, 11:19

gunnery crews? where do u buy them?
Last edited by Shadow Raptor on Mon, 3. Oct 05, 11:39, edited 1 time in total.

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Mon, 3. Oct 05, 11:34

They show up as ordinary cargo, using cargo space, but obviously they are not or they would all be dead very quickly :)

Shadow Raptor

Post by Shadow Raptor » Mon, 3. Oct 05, 11:41

Does that mean you can see any other person on the bridge of your m1 or m2? i mean your seat doesnt even have a joystick!

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Mon, 3. Oct 05, 11:44

Actually, I liked that about the old Wing Commander, being able to see the joystick moving as you shifted yours.

softweir
xr

Post by softweir » Mon, 3. Oct 05, 12:01

Shadow Raptor wrote:gunnery crews? where do u buy them?
Assuming you have the latest Bonus material download...

Gunnery crews are people trained by the Argon military to man your capital ship's turrets. (Or, in the case of a Nova, your M3's turret.) They auto-manage the change from one gun to another to maximise kills, track quickly, defend against incoming missiles and avoid friend-on-friend fire incidents.

You can hire them at various Argon Trading Stations and equipment docks, but they are vry rare and hard to get hold of - only sure way to find any is to look out for an Argon TP with a name something like "Military Personnel Transport xxxxxx". Then aither try to cap it and its cargo of people, or follow it to its destination, dock before it docks, and be waiting with the Trade Screen up for when the Military Personnel become available for sale.

You have to pay a fee to each man for the time he is sitting in your ship, and a larger fee for the times when he is on active duty.

For full details go to the scripting and modding forum, look at the sticky at the top which lists the signed scripts and click on to the description of the Gunnery Crews script. If you have downloaded and installed the all-in-one Bonus Material then there will be a large readme in your X2 directory with full details.

The AEGIS system gives the crew even more smarts to improve capping rates and gives a neat automated missile-targetting-and-aiming command.

Happy gunning!
My new fave game (while waiting for Rebirth) - Kerbal Space Program

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Mon, 3. Oct 05, 12:07

Thanks for that explanation. I missed the bit about about them being traded. I thought you commed the transports and asked for them, then docked at a station to pick them up.

Fortunately, Military Personnel is provided with one of the scripts :)

Return to “X²: The Threat - Scripts and Modding”