Still no sign of cockpits

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Cougaris
x3

Still no sign of cockpits

Post by Cougaris » Mon, 17. Oct 05, 13:46

While I applaud the dev's for putting up screenshots daily, it seems that they are merely highlighting graphical effects and ship designs. Any chance we could get shots of the interface/cockpits (if they are there).

I get the feeling that the game doesn't have them included anymore, which would be a small let down for me. Others would not be so understanding, I'd imagine.

TerrorTrooper
x4

Post by TerrorTrooper » Mon, 17. Oct 05, 13:49

have to admit it, i am starting to think along those lines too..

However, i dont mind flying without a **** pit, some of the best games ive played have been cockpitless

davewave
x3

Post by davewave » Mon, 17. Oct 05, 13:54

If you have been following the X3 screenies and news since the beggining, you will notice that this area of cockpits has been repeatedly avoided. Although there was a screeny with X3 gfx but X2 cockpit.

This is another *Buy it to see it* features and im sure either way, you won't be to disappointed with the outcome.
"Better to die on our feet then live on our knees"

Atkara
x3tc

Post by Atkara » Mon, 17. Oct 05, 14:23

Something tells me that Egosoft is keeping cockpits integration as secret, as the end-user's surprise hehe.

I've downloaded a video from www.justgamers.de which shows in-cockpit views among others, the classic X2 M3 3D-pit tho. This shows that by the time this video was created, cockpits were -at least- still a feature to be included. The lighting effects inside the cockpit, especially in combat, were spectacular.

Anyways, I really hope cockpits have made it in the game.

hex40k
x3tc

Post by hex40k » Mon, 17. Oct 05, 14:58

Im amivolent. I like to have something to look out of that helps to give the world depth when im off on an eye candy type cruise around the universe, but when im sitting safley in a station or on my destroyer with my backup ships, waiting to see if i'll need to move myself, it dosent really matter. (this is what i do in X2)
This space is reserved for a witty comment or quote.

XenonBuster
x3

Post by XenonBuster » Mon, 17. Oct 05, 15:36

just a thougt
you might be able to switch them on or off

Galaxy613
x4

Post by Galaxy613 » Mon, 17. Oct 05, 15:39

Just a thought, but MAYBE, just MAYBE they are just not showing the cockpits because they have better stuff to show us? Naaah, if we don't see something in these screenies Egosoft gives us then it must not exist!!!! Well I haven't seen ANY pics of Khaak ships, so they must've left them out! Or maybe you can switch them on/off too?
10,000 Lightyears of awesomeness

NeverSnake
x3tc

Post by NeverSnake » Mon, 17. Oct 05, 16:01

Look at it this way; would they allow the media who are doing previews to put up outdated shots of cockpits if they weren't planning to have cockpits in X3?
"There's an old story about the person who wished his computer were as easy to use as his telephone. That wish has come true, since I no longer know how to use my telephone" — Bjarne Stroustrup

DJSoulJammer
x3

Post by DJSoulJammer » Mon, 17. Oct 05, 16:14

Really strange ,people like a Cocpits ,have no idea why .In my opinion i can see much better this awsome grafics and space is so high quality so why not to anjoy that , much is possibile .I hope or there is no at all or in some how way to turn that off , its little to big even in X2 ,but its my opinion . :P
I don't think diferent ,..... i think same , just in diferent way .... :)

NeverSnake
x3tc

Post by NeverSnake » Mon, 17. Oct 05, 16:22

Cockpits can be nice but they need to give you a proper view (i.e. big glass bubble) and shouldn't have the silly lag when you move.
"There's an old story about the person who wished his computer were as easy to use as his telephone. That wish has come true, since I no longer know how to use my telephone" — Bjarne Stroustrup

Banana Split
x3

Post by Banana Split » Mon, 17. Oct 05, 17:12

This screenshot shows a cockpit viewpoint from this ship, and it was confirmed that the X2 M3 cockpit in the video was a "placeholder", which also suggests that there will be cockpits. However, the only other information I've seen on them was along the lines of "...we could have made lots of great cockpits, but felt the time would be better spent elsewhere...". I haven't seen anyone confirm that they're in, despite quite a few threads on the topic. All in all, I'm unsure. :gruebel:

This reminds me of the recent spear-saga on the official Elderscrolls Oblivion forum. There was a bit of concept art showing a spear, but they were never mentioned by the developers in any of the huge number of threads and interviews, or seen in screenshots. Eventually an interview confirmed they weren't in the game... :|

Cougaris
x3

Post by Cougaris » Mon, 17. Oct 05, 17:13

Doesn't bother me personally - I play EVE and nary a cockpit to be seen. Its just that the devs could so easily drop in and confirm/deny that they are in game. I don't think they will be in game, and yes, features can be dropped during the software development lifecycle.

RE: Galaxy613. Absence of proof is clearly not proof of absence. No need to get silly about it. Its a simple point that can easily be verifieid by a yay or nay.

The_Abyss
x3

Post by The_Abyss » Mon, 17. Oct 05, 17:16

To be honest, I'm surprised to see the cockpit debate still going on, as it was confirmed in several interviews at the summer Games Convention in Leipzig that there would not be any cockpits in X3.
Strung out on Britain's high, hitting an all time low

Chestnut Stallion
x3

Post by Chestnut Stallion » Mon, 17. Oct 05, 17:21

There are no cockpits in X3??????

That.... kinda... is a let down.. :cry:

I mean.. a major... let down.. How will I feel any diffrent between an M3.. and a M1 ship.. the view will be the same..... I have .. just my view of space.. not the view from a commanders seat on a huge ship.... thats pretty lame..

Cougaris
x3

Post by Cougaris » Mon, 17. Oct 05, 17:22

Thanks for the update Abyss. Debate ended :)

Lazerath
x4

Post by Lazerath » Mon, 17. Oct 05, 17:25

Yer Joking right?? If there ain't cockpits in the game... or the option to turn them on I probably won't be buying it :(

What a way to make a person sad after being so happy about the soon to be release of a game I've been waiting a long time for :( :( :(

Is there a way to at least Mod them into the game? I don't care if its the same crappy generic cockpits in X2. It makes the game more realistic and adds to the feel of being there.. :(

I hope yer joking Abyss.. cause if yer not.. this really suxs!!!
COMPUTER SPECS
[Mobo] SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0
[CPU] AMD FX-9370 8 Cores 4.4 - 4.7GHZ 16MB DDR3-1866
[Cooling] Corsair Hydro Series H80I CPU Cooler System
[Video] Evga 970 GTX SC 3.5Gb Ram ==> [Ram] G-Skills Ripjaws X 16GB
[Harddrive] (2) x Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD
[Harddrive] Samsung 840 Series 120GB SSD ==> [Harddrive] WD BLACK 1TB 64MB 7200RPM
[Disc Player] LG 14X BLU-RAY BURNER ==> [Case] Thermaltake A71 Chaser [Windows 7 Pro]

skillz
x3tc

Post by skillz » Mon, 17. Oct 05, 17:30

Cockpits are nice but I think we'll enjoy them without. I know for me at least with the crappy handling in X2 in conjunction with the Cockpit made piloting during combat sloppy.

I enjoy skilled piloting but no because the it just doesn't work well.

We'll see I guess soon enough. :)
The Journey is the Reward

[img]http://www.ioncode.com/3per.png[img]

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Mon, 17. Oct 05, 17:40

The_Abyss wrote:To be honest, I'm surprised to see the cockpit debate still going on, as it was confirmed in several interviews at the summer Games Convention in Leipzig that there would not be any cockpits in X3.
Does this mean flight will be arcade style third person?
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Mon, 17. Oct 05, 17:41

skillz wrote:Cockpits are nice but I think we'll enjoy them without. I know for me at least with the crappy handling in X2 in conjunction with the Cockpit made piloting during combat sloppy.

I enjoy skilled piloting but no because the it just doesn't work well.

We'll see I guess soon enough. :)
true .... <listen's intently for the delivery bell> :D
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Mon, 17. Oct 05, 17:53

Realistically, you wouldn't be flying your ship from the most exposed position possible, seperated from that horde of crazed Split by only a layer of glass/plastic/whatever anyway, you'd be in the depths of your ship watching holographic projectors or monitors or whatever.
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”