So who LIKES the game so far?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Discovery
x3

So who LIKES the game so far?

Post by Discovery » Thu, 27. Oct 05, 22:05

So I have heard very little but complaints from those of you who have been lucky enough to the game so far. Is there anyone out there who really enjoys the game and has a few good things they'd like to point out?

SteelRush
x4

Post by SteelRush » Thu, 27. Oct 05, 22:15

I don't get to play until next week. Going on vacation. :D

A sad reality about games is the people who are enjoying it are too busy playing to even look here. So you only get the folks who are having problems.

Expect better comments when people come up for air from the X3 universe. :)

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Thu, 27. Oct 05, 22:22

i love it :D

been playing abit of the plot so far althou my ship got damaged and its taken abit of time to raise the funds to repair it
trading seems abit harder i've alot of places r low on sticks so the prices to buy are quite high but i've managed to get enuf money to repair my ship now :)

i like the new way of capturing ships, its abit more work but seems more logical

my only complaint so far is that i can use my joystick yet so im using mouse flight which isn't too bad.

combat is better and i like the drifting they've added and the whole scale of the game is impressive the station are huge
migt take me abit of time to buy one thou :)

Faust
x3

Post by Faust » Thu, 27. Oct 05, 22:25

I LOVE the game, just see my posts :wink: . Everyones just worked up about some bugs, like in.... well every game ever released.

Don't worry, they'll grow up one day. :P
Whats more dangerous than a crazy Teladi with a PSG? Simple. One that knows what its doing...

Finding 1.3 tough? Try my guide!
http://www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtop ... ght=remedy

Mopy
x3

Post by Mopy » Thu, 27. Oct 05, 22:28

Yep, liking it a lot, from the pretties, to the pirating, to getting blown to pieces (deja vu from X2's Disco days).

Much fun. Know what I'm gonna be doing tomorrow. And the next day. And likely quite a few after that.

From the picture I had building up to release, for me it is the pretty looking free form open ended game with almost the exact flight model that I had in mind. Aside from the sound and stick issues, I honestly can say I couldn't have asked for much more.
Sig

Auros
x3tc

Post by Auros » Thu, 27. Oct 05, 22:30

Lets put it this way....I like its potential a lot ;)

If these bugs/issues get worked out then we've got a real winner on our hands imho :)
In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move...

youki
x3tc

Post by youki » Thu, 27. Oct 05, 22:34

Auros wrote:Lets put it this way....I like its potential a lot ;)

If these bugs/issues get worked out then we've got a real winner on our hands imho :)
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I like this comments. It sounds, hmmm, honest. :D

Ah well, good or bad, I'll still be waiting by my door steps for the delivery on monday.

mark_t50
xr

Post by mark_t50 » Thu, 27. Oct 05, 22:37

I like it a lot, but It does have a few problems. I've been playing for a few hours now and thought I'd give my initial impressions. Before that though I will admit to two things. When X3 was first announced I was one of those who was really worried about the dreaded 'C' word (Console) and how it might affect the development of X3, i.e. I thought it would be dumbed down. I am also a cockpit fan and complained about no cockpits. I'll address these two points first.

With regards to the game getting dumbed down. I was wrong to even think it, I'm sorry I ever doubted the devs. This is still the X game we all know and love with the same complexities. Sure it's been dressed up in pretty graphics and a new interface but it is still very much X at heart. This is a very good thing and I'm very relieved about it.

As for the no cockpit. I'm still very dissapointed at the descision to leave them out. The view that the game has is ok. Thats about the best I can describe it for now. I think the whole interface has changed so much it is going to take me a few days before I can decide whether it is any good, imho of course. Lets just say that I have not been instantly won over with the new view and I still long for a cockpit.

As for the rest of the game experience so far

Pro's:

I've got a fairly decent system (AMD64 X2 4400, Geforce 7800 GTX EE, 2gb mem, 2 x 10,000 RPM SATA's RAID 0) it looks nice on it!
Combat is great, inertia seems better than X2, I highly recommend the combat simulation if you want to test it.
The Lasers/Guns fire much faster.

Negative:

My joystick doesn't work (Sidewinder FF2).
No cockpits! (Sorry had to add it) and no Helmet view when ejected from a ship!
I've got a fairly decent system, it stutters a lot sometimes!
Sound is out of synch in FMV, no lip synch, and sometimes the sound in game just goes a bit funny.

Overall:

It seriously needs a patch to address some BIG bugs. I'm not suprised at this given how quickly the game has been developed since the announcement of X3 as a full game there were bound to be bugs. For Egosofts sake I hope they can release a patch quickly even if it is only to fix the joystick problem or this will very quickly get compared to the Frontier scale of bugs.

However I can see past the bugs and underneath shines an excellent game, the graphics are really very nice, the combat feels better and the new interface is interesting. Would I recommend this to an avid X fan, YES, without a doubt. Would I recommend this to my mate who has never played X before, probably not yet, I'd tell him to wait till a patch is released, then buy it :)

alkasteveh
x3

Post by alkasteveh » Thu, 27. Oct 05, 22:39

Very impressed (though knock a few points off for the bugs currently, though how it'll fare after the patch is something we'll just have to see)

But.... (without spoilers) just done the first few parts of the storyline (died a few times on the second bit if you know what I mean :wink: ) and enjoyed it so far. Though having the option to be able to just ignore it completely with the different starts is nice as well.

Not being able to use my joystick is a pain, but that second part seemed better with a mouse :wink:

Mastermue
x3ap

Post by Mastermue » Thu, 27. Oct 05, 22:40

Yep, I'm already hooked!
Looks great and once I reverted to the previous Nvidia driver the frame rate was great.
Since I'm using a Saitek Gamepad, I haven't had the joystick issues some of the others have had (Only the rumble feature not working)
Did have a couple of crashes, but after fiddling with the graphics options it hasn't crashed since and have had some decent game time to be suitably impressed.
Thanks EGOSOFT! Thank you moderators, especially when you expected tomorrow to get crazy (which it will!), but have done a sterling job today!

Will be really happy when the sound prob is worked out, but I'm patient!

Auros
x3tc

Post by Auros » Thu, 27. Oct 05, 22:52

And I forgot to make special mention of the graphics. They are really beautiful. Great texture work etc. And one thing I was hoping they'd do is have the clouds move slightly different speed to the planets rotation, which they did. Really love seeing that :).....it adds a lot to the 'alive universe' feel.

Like I said in the earlier post, lots of potential if the bugs are ironed out. :thumb_up:
In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move...

Player.
x3tc

Post by Player. » Thu, 27. Oct 05, 22:56

YAY my life has a purpose :lol:
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=183585 - X2 The Threat High Definition Mod - You know you wanna :)

youki
x3tc

Post by youki » Thu, 27. Oct 05, 22:59

@ mark_t50

ahh, this is a much more a fair review of X3. great post. As for the cockpit, I bet the first mod for X3 will be a cockpit mod. :P

glottis0
x3tc

Post by glottis0 » Thu, 27. Oct 05, 23:15

I think that it'll be pretty awesome once the bugs are fixed. As it stands, it's hard to get immersed when it crashes to desktop every 10 mins or so.

The joystick-not-working is also annoying.

Performance is ok on my x800 but I expected better from a high-end card. Not the end of the world though.

I was a bit bummed about cockpits but the logic behind the decision is sound enough, and I don't think the game suffers too much as a result.

As you can see - all my criticisms are fixable.

Harlock776
x2

smarty

Post by Harlock776 » Thu, 27. Oct 05, 23:20

After reading this stuff I'm glad I didn't buy the game right away and have to be tortured by the idea of flying a ship with a mouse lol. Age brings wisdom and patience but boredom still persists. However, wisdom and patience had out free earplugs after a certain amount of regular use like frequent flyer miles lol.

Bazza
x3tc

Post by Bazza » Thu, 27. Oct 05, 23:26

Faust wrote:I LOVE the game, just see my posts :wink: . Everyones just worked up about some bugs, like in.... well every game ever released.

Mate, the fact you keep trying to infer in your "posts" that anyone who has a complaint is lacking in maturity speaks volumes on YOUR lack of maturity.
ZORK, IW2:EOC, GIANTS, NOLF 1, Runaway, Gothic I&II, Mafia, Arx Fatalis, Divine Divinity, Vietcong... I Loved Those Games

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Thu, 27. Oct 05, 23:28

glottis0 wrote:I think that it'll be pretty awesome once the bugs are fixed. As it stands, it's hard to get immersed when it crashes to desktop every 10 mins or so.

The joystick-not-working is also annoying.

Performance is ok on my x800 but I expected better from a high-end card. Not the end of the world though.

I was a bit bummed about cockpits but the logic behind the decision is sound enough, and I don't think the game suffers too much as a result.

As you can see - all my criticisms are fixable.
make sure antistropic filtering and anti aliasing is turned off, this seems to be a major cause of the crashes

DEATH eVADER

Post by DEATH eVADER » Thu, 27. Oct 05, 23:29

Faust wrote:I LOVE the game, just see my posts :wink: . Everyones just worked up about some bugs, like in.... well every game ever released.

What kind of bugs?

If its a random crashing bug, forget it. I had that bug in GTA: SA and you can't quicksave as often as I had hoped
Ahh, the pitter patter of tiny fit in Huge combat boots...SHUT UP!

CHAZZ
x3tc

Post by CHAZZ » Thu, 27. Oct 05, 23:31

Faust wrote:
Who? The bugs? :D

C.

glottis0
x3tc

Post by glottis0 » Thu, 27. Oct 05, 23:33

make sure antistropic filtering and anti aliasing is turned off, this seems to be a major cause of the crashes
Thanks for the tip...I didn't have any luck with this though. I tried rolling back my catalyst driver to earlier versions too, but I still get CTDs.

I'll just wait it out - there's plenty else to play in the meantime.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”