Graphics display judders every 4 seconds, regardless of graphics settings

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-Tension or X-Beyond The Frontier

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

Mahalaki
x3

Graphics display judders every 4 seconds, regardless of graphics settings

Post by Mahalaki » Fri, 28. Oct 05, 19:30

When playing the game, the display judders (skips, jumps, sticks, call it what you will) for a period of a second or two every 4 seconds. This problem persists regarless of graphics setting.
Patch level is current (both game 1.2 and drivers), I have already tried other suggestions in the forums and disabled the joystick.

System:

XP Pro
AMD 3700+
1GB
Radeon X800XT PE
MSI MS-7125 (with Realtek AC97 sound)
Logitech Wingaman Freedom 2.4

Do you require a DXDiag output file?

Any idea? Fixed in the next patch perhaps :)

Mahalaki
x3

Post by Mahalaki » Fri, 28. Oct 05, 19:35

And the problem doesn't occur with any other game or benchmarking test.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 28. Oct 05, 19:45

If this persists after the first minute or so of playing in a particular sector (in which some loading may experienced) then it is likely that the problem is caused by something outside the game. This could be software such as anti-virus or instant messaging, or it could be something as simple as the network activity indicator on your task bar which has been known to cause regular stuttering.

Mahalaki
x3

Post by Mahalaki » Fri, 28. Oct 05, 19:55

Thank you for your prompt response. I shall disconnect my internet connection and temporarily disable my AV software. I have no other extranious processes running. I shall report back soon.

Mahalaki
x3

Post by Mahalaki » Fri, 28. Oct 05, 20:12

I am afraid that disabling AV software made no difference. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

Mahalaki
x3

Post by Mahalaki » Fri, 28. Oct 05, 20:44

Oh, and yes, it does persist after the first minute or so in a new sector. It appears to be almost on a 'timer'.
Thanks in advance.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 28. Oct 05, 21:01

If it is on a timer then it is almost certainly something on your PC. Did you check the network activity monitor I mentioned? This is the icon with two PC screens in the system tray that flashes when you use the network.

Chazzie
x3tc

Post by Chazzie » Fri, 28. Oct 05, 21:04

CBJ if this is the problem then how do you shut it down?

Do you mean a standard internet connection or something else?
Just visted earth - lived a whole 5 seconds! Welcome Home - Yeah right!

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 28. Oct 05, 21:14

Go to your network connections, select the connection properties for your active connection(s), and uncheck "Show icon in notification area when connected".

Mahalaki
x3

Post by Mahalaki » Fri, 28. Oct 05, 21:21

I'm sorry, but I have disabled absolutely everything as instructed, including all the services I can. I literally have nothing in my process list appart from that required to run windows and the game in question. Honest. :(

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 28. Oct 05, 21:26

Mahalaki wrote:Honest.
:D

I believe you, but I just need to make sure people know what is meant by this.

Something is clearly interrupting your game, but finding out what it is isn't going to be easy. Your on-board sound chipset is one possible source of concern, but that wouldn't normally cause problems at such regular intervals. Disk access is another; do any of your disk lights flash when the delay occurs?

Dhore
x3tc

Post by Dhore » Fri, 28. Oct 05, 21:36

How about spyware, a spybot in the background can cause sudden slowdowns ive found. You prolly have but try scanning for spyware and virus

Mahalaki
x3

Post by Mahalaki » Fri, 28. Oct 05, 21:47

^^^^^^^ Spyware isn't a problem, but thanks anyway, I'm sure that on alot of PCs what you say actually is cause for concern!

With respect to the question by CBJ, no, I can see or hear no rythmic (oo-er) HDD access.
If you need any more info (DXdiag dump, process listing, etc.) let me know.

PS. What timezone are you in? GMT+1? Do they make you work this late every Friday?

Mahalaki
x3

Post by Mahalaki » Fri, 28. Oct 05, 22:19

The codec advice in the X2 faqs did not help either. Even disabling the AC97 device did no good.

I would re-format and re-install XP and all patches/drivers from known good media, but my confidence is high that no rootkits or other methods of executing hidden processes are present (I can explain why if you really want), so it probably isn't worth the time.

Ho-hum, let's hope I don't have to get litigious at the game store to get my money back :(

Mahalaki
x3

Post by Mahalaki » Sat, 29. Oct 05, 07:59

Oh dear, no more ideas?

Crypton
x3

Post by Crypton » Sat, 29. Oct 05, 08:15

DMA Mode enabled on your IDE Channels? In Windows I mean? Sometimes if they get stuck using PIO mode it can cause weird "timed" activity when playing/loading games.

Just adding since you seem to have been through all the above, figure worth a shot.

Also, do you have chipset drivers installed? Up to date? If so, tried an older version? Or uninstall and not running any at all, cept for default generic windows drivers for chipset?

marmite
x3tc

Post by marmite » Sat, 29. Oct 05, 11:56

My system specs are:

2.6 Ghz Pentium 4
766 MB RAM
Intel D865GBF motherboard
Radeon X800 256 MB

I had stuttering performance then I saw the post from CBJ. I've disconnected my internet connection, turned off my McAfee firewall/virus software and all other non-essential software (Quicktime, screensavers, basically anything that autoruns at startup) and there has been a noticeable increase in performance. I'm running the game at 1024x768 with texture set to high and shading set to low.

Go figure...

Firebird
x3tc

Post by Firebird » Sat, 29. Oct 05, 12:54

I have the same problem

Driving me nuts, I keep shutting things down, what amazes me is that it uses so many system resources it cant cope with an interrupt or two.

X2 was fine - well apart from really crowded battles with the Xenon. I cant even play it to trade... Arrrgggggghhhhhhhhhhh

I thought I'd setup the X800 wrong, the X2 benchmarks were quite dissapointing over the GEFX5900GT I had - any tips from an X800 owner would be appreciated everyone seems to be Nvidia owners.

Jerry
Regards - Jerry
i7-4770 3.4GHz | 8 GB DDR RAM | ASUS Z87 Board | 500GB SSD | GeF GTX 650 1GB Mem | X-Fi SB Sound | Win 7 Pro (64bit) SP1 | DirX V11

bigmac
x3tc

Post by bigmac » Sat, 29. Oct 05, 14:54

hi guys,

Just to raise the concern, i have the same issue.... framerate drops to under 10 fps every 4-5sec.. like something is heavily loading.... I remeber i had the same issue with X2.... my PC hardware now is completly different from what i had in X2 so its doesnt look like a hardware or driver issue.....

also my hardware is different from the guys before me .

P4 3.2,2GB ram, x800xt, audigy 2, ati 5.10 driver, also tried Omega driver..

I tried anykind of downgrading in grafic settings.... running it without AA or AF.. no autoadjustment.... no shader lighteffects.... still the same.....

I can check that very eassily....... the mainscreen with the start options...(new game , training...) the animation of the X as a jumpgate... this is already having this judder effect.....

Virusscan is switched off, nothing else is running in the background....
no joystick... just keyboard and mouse.
I can play HL2 lost coast which just came out yesterday, totally smooth....

guys can you check that.....?!

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sat, 29. Oct 05, 15:02

Mahalaki wrote:PS. What timezone are you in? GMT+1? Do they make you work this late every Friday?
Only just seen this. :D I'm on UK time, and nobody makes me do anything. ;)

What I'm puzzled by here is the regularity of the pauses and the fact that those of you posting here are experiencing them while others are not. Could each of you post what you have so far done in the game and what property you own?

Return to “X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-T and X-BTF - Technical Support”