Research in XOU

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

monkman

Research in XOU

Post by monkman » Thu, 14. Aug 03, 10:51

Will sciencetist/researcher be an option or choice of lifestyle.
eg *puts on nerdy computer voice*
"Now entering your weapons research laboratory".
Then say depending on number of scienctists equipment human control money put in etc every now and then egosoft people could give them a new technology which they then develop and sell on to shipyards and the like......... This would mean the universe would start off with relatively low research levels which could slowly build up.

Thoughts comments

Elky
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
HTI forums back up. With argonopedia the largest X resource!
http://24.84.137.31/hti/forum/index.php

crunn
x4

Re: Research in XOU

Post by crunn » Thu, 14. Aug 03, 11:56

monkman wrote:This would mean the universe would start off with relatively low research levels which could slowly build up.
Wooooo...

I like that bit.

Maybe the X-Universe will start with pre-btf tech.
(no gamma level weapons, no 125Mw shields, no Hornets, no M3 ships, no ~other stuff~)
And we have to help research it.
Maybe whoever researches it first will have the monopoly on it until someone else gets it too, (eventually everyone will have it)
Or the Gov pays us to invent stuff, an appropriate large cash sum for each invention.
Or maybe a combined effort thing. Everyone puts their research into one thing and maybe you get 10c per research unit you process. (SETI style)
Once it is done the tech becomes available.

After a month or so (depending on how fast we research stuff) we reach Xbtf level tech.
A little more and XT level.
Further still and X2.
By that time Ego should have come up with new tech for us to research, a new ship/missile/factory/tradeitem/whatever, or just an upgraded version of something old.

Yea, this is cool 8)
We need to have research involved in some way.
Last edited by crunn on Thu, 14. Aug 03, 12:15, edited 1 time in total.

monkman

Post by monkman » Thu, 14. Aug 03, 12:12

Yeh u read my mind. Start with pre btf wotever that maybe. Then slowly some people trade which gives them more money then they chose routes. If nobody choses to build research stations the government should do research but it should be incredibly slow and expensive to buy. So some people set up their own research labs which research technologies. As i said ego then gives them one depending on factors. Then the technology is bought buy the goverment plus anybody else who wants it with cash.

Elky
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
HTI forums back up. With argonopedia the largest X resource!
http://24.84.137.31/hti/forum/index.php

fireblade
x4

Post by fireblade » Thu, 14. Aug 03, 12:22

crunn wrote:
monkman wrote:This would mean the universe would start off with relatively low research levels which could slowly build up.
Wooooo...

I like that bit.

Maybe the X-Universe will start with pre-btf tech.
(no gamma level weapons, no 125Mw shields, no Hornets, no M3 ships, no ~other stuff~)
And we have to help research it.
Maybe whoever researches it first will have the monopoly on it until someone else gets it too, (eventually everyone will have it)
Or the Gov pays us to invent stuff, an appropriate large cash sum for each invention.
Or maybe a combined effort thing. Everyone puts their research into one thing and maybe you get 10c per research unit you process. (SETI style)
Once it is done the tech becomes available.

After a month or so (depending on how fast we research stuff) we reach Xbtf level tech.
A little more and XT level.
Further still and X2.
By that time Ego should have come up with new tech for us to research, a new ship/missile/factory/tradeitem/whatever, or just an upgraded version of something old.

Yea, this is cool 8)
We need to have research involved in some way.
i think moving from pre x-bft tech to x2 tech would conflict with the x-universe background story as its quite possible that different events would happen

and dont think that the paralel universe get out method is a good thing to use to avoid that problem

but i do agree that research should appear in some form in XOU

i do have a few ideas of my own on the subject but im busy at the min so ill post them later

Jasperodus
x3

Post by Jasperodus » Thu, 14. Aug 03, 12:35

If there is a system of modular ship design in XOU then I'm guessing you would have to develop certain skills, research certain techs and maybe have some kind of design process that takes time. Perhaps you would have to develop a blueprint module that you transfer to your shipyard or to one you've bought build-time at. (These could also be sold/given to other players.)

I imagine this would also apply to modular station design too.

Btw, this faq is worth a look: http://www.online-universe.net/44faq.htm

Maybe a bit out of date now but gives an impression of the ideas that may go into XOU.

To be honest, I only read this fully the other week. Impressive stuff if it is all implemented. Imagine officially owning your own sector...

Jasp
Arms, my only ornament; my only rest, the fight. ~ Don Quixote, Cervantes

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Thu, 14. Aug 03, 13:05

monkman wrote:Will sciencetist/researcher be an option or choice of lifestyle.
eg *puts on nerdy computer voice*
"Now entering your weapons research laboratory".
Then say depending on number of scienctists equipment human control money put in etc every now and then egosoft people could give them a new technology which they then develop and sell on to shipyards and the like......... This would mean the universe would start off with relatively low research levels which could slowly build up.

Thoughts comments

Elky
That would be a bit of a put off for new people to join the game. Then again, we would expect new content every other month for the monthly fee to play the game.
"I've got a bad feeling about this!" Harrison Ford, 5 times a year, trying to land his plane.

crunn
x4

Post by crunn » Thu, 14. Aug 03, 13:46

The thing about starting with X2+ tech, what then can we research?
Bigger guns, bigger badder versions of the existing stuff, cloaking device.
I can't think of anything else, new ships maybe.

If Ego give us new tech every few weeks we will soon become swamped with stuff we will never use.

Our choice of stuff isn't any more than before. New tech replaces old, the old becomes obsolete and dissapears.
No one will ever buy the old IRE weapons, maybe some of the new stuff just isn't all that useful so no one buys it either.
(I'm forgetting noobs, till they can afford better.)

Here, this sounds almost like real life, COOL 8)

However, it won't be long before we are all flying around in ships that do 2000m/s and have invincyshields.
(not that they would ever let it go that far)

CanadianBrit
x4

Post by CanadianBrit » Fri, 15. Aug 03, 00:41

Some valid points mentioned. In many ways this would be really interesting, but to start it from a pre BTF stand point would be too much. After all what would happen to the ownership of stations? I only ask because research takes time and the time line from btf to x2 is reportedly nigh on 75-100 yrs. Or am I thinking about this too deeply?

General Morphit
x3

Post by General Morphit » Fri, 15. Aug 03, 00:47

How about researching for yourself, eg the more research (which costs creditsss) you put into a product, the cheaper it becomes to produce or the better the product becomes (eg. higher fire rate, less recoil, stuff like that) you can choose which mix you want (like 70% cheaper tech, 30% better tech) and it would make trade interesting, there would be people making high quality goods that are very expensive, and those making flimsier goods for much less.

General Morphit
x3

Post by General Morphit » Fri, 15. Aug 03, 00:49

The Devil wrote:the time line from btf to x2 is reportedly nigh on 75-100 yrs.
It is, I thought it was more like 20-30. Brennan is still alive isnt he, or is he just /rather/ old?

crunn
x4

Post by crunn » Fri, 15. Aug 03, 00:54

Morphit wrote:
The Devil wrote:the time line from btf to x2 is reportedly nigh on 75-100 yrs.
It is, I thought it was more like 20-30. Brennan is still alive isn’t he, or is he just /rather/ old?
I read somewhere (xnews or faq or something) that it is 25 years later and Brennan is still alive.
Brennan is one of the AI independent traders, the owner of the "Terracorps Co." and you might just see him flying around.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”