System Override Software *WARNING SPOILERS*

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mbthegreat
x3tc

System Override Software *WARNING SPOILERS*

Post by mbthegreat » Sun, 30. Oct 05, 11:59

Bought from a pirate station for about 600,000 if I remember correctly. Seems to be illegal in Argon space (unless fighter drones are.............) and can't work out was it does, in station it has no picture and no description.

Anyone know about it?

PlumpOrgan
x3

Post by PlumpOrgan » Sun, 30. Oct 05, 12:45

According to the manual it is software that allows you to take control (capture??) of another ship.

FellFromLog
x3tc

Post by FellFromLog » Sun, 30. Oct 05, 12:49

I've picked this up as well, but I've not figured out how to use it yet. I've tried to take over landed ships at stations and tried flying very close to a super freighter in case you had to be close and in space to use it. But I've never even had an option to turn it on.

Anyone got this working yet?

Dark Empire
x2

Post by Dark Empire » Sun, 30. Oct 05, 13:30

:? mabey the overide software clames ships after the pilot bails?

FellFromLog
x3tc

Post by FellFromLog » Sun, 30. Oct 05, 13:33

Dark Empire wrote::? mabey the overide software clames ships after the pilot bails?
Don't think it does. I've capped ships with it installed and still had to fly over in my suit. I thought it might be a really expensive way of doing that from a ship, but I still couldn't see any way of claiming from a ship even when really close.

karne
x3

Post by karne » Sun, 30. Oct 05, 14:06

Works for me, get really close (about 25m) then target the ship and claim as you would from a suit. Save a lot of time and is much safer.

mbthegreat
x3tc

Post by mbthegreat » Sun, 30. Oct 05, 14:09

but is has to be empty already???

what a waste of 600,000 (which i still haven't made back)

hmmm spose it will helpl once i start capping again after a few trading runs

camiens, will they ever learn?

Johnny9ball
x3

Post by Johnny9ball » Sun, 30. Oct 05, 14:36

If you attack pirates can you still dock and buy it from one of there bases?

Vikinger
x3

Post by Vikinger » Sun, 30. Oct 05, 14:45

I think so as long you dont attack the station it self or its defence. So dont pick ships near the station, it can be the station defence.

it was like that in X2 and i cant think that have changed in X3.
I've fought in many places, and seen war's thousand faces.

jomandoor
x2

Post by jomandoor » Sun, 30. Oct 05, 15:46

FellFromLog wrote:
Dark Empire wrote::? mabey the overide software clames ships after the pilot bails?
Don't think it does. I've capped ships with it installed and still had to fly over in my suit. I thought it might be a really expensive way of doing that from a ship, but I still couldn't see any way of claiming from a ship even when really close.
it does, it just stops you having to get out your ship to capture .

FellFromLog
x3tc

Post by FellFromLog » Sun, 30. Oct 05, 16:07

karne wrote:Works for me, get really close (about 25m) then target the ship and claim as you would from a suit. Save a lot of time and is much safer.
Hmmm, couldn't have been close enough when I tried it. Not really worth 600k and getting hassled by the police though, I always clear the area before I get out of my ship anyway.

mbthegreat
x3tc

Post by mbthegreat » Sun, 30. Oct 05, 19:18

i paid 600k and have to jump drive away from police all the time so i don't have to get out of my ship and can instead crash into something and damage my current ship

i can't even sell it back. looks like it willl probably be ejected :(

dont see why it should be illegal though...............

UK_lawman
x3tc

Post by UK_lawman » Sun, 30. Oct 05, 19:45

The following tip might help..

Recently I have been doing a bit of space fuel running, very lucrative business. Anyway, when I get stopped by the police all I do is stop and bail out of my ship. Wait a few moments then re-enter. The police seem to lose interest when you bail out and clear off. Tried it 3 times now and they have never bother me once I return to my ship, till of course they catch me again ;)

Question: Is the Best buys and Best Selling Price Locators found in the same places as in X2?

davy
x3

Post by davy » Sun, 30. Oct 05, 19:50

Hmmm... now let's see software that claims schips that aren't yours and of which you first have to "pursuade" the pilot to eject.

Yes I defenetly see a legal aplycation for that software..................

mbthegreat
x3tc

Post by mbthegreat » Sun, 30. Oct 05, 20:10

yes eeing as noone bats an eyelid when I shoot up some split in argon space and then claim the ship normally

Electro

Post by Electro » Sun, 30. Oct 05, 20:13

I've not bought it yet but it sounds rubbish tbh so I know not to bother.

It works at 25m you say?, if that's the case it really is rubbish, I would expect it to work within comm distance as that's more realistic, also it shouldn't really be too illegal because it would get annoying, ok maybe a few warnings then a fine or something but nothing extreme.

Vikinger
x3

Post by Vikinger » Sun, 30. Oct 05, 20:30

maybe it can be used in other ways that we havent figured out yet.
perhaps thats the reason its illegal.

Have anyone tryed to claim a ship whit that software even if a pilot havent bailed out? if you manage to get in claim range of the ship.
And the name, software overide. sounds like a hacker program :) that have other use than just claim ships.

Have anyone tryed it at close range to a factory? Maybe you can hack the system and steal some of its valuables :)

I mean the possibilite to use it is wider than we current know of :)
I've fought in many places, and seen war's thousand faces.

Tsar_of_Cows
x4

Post by Tsar_of_Cows » Sun, 30. Oct 05, 20:46

Hmmm I thought it must allow you to claim ships while the pilot was already in it - thats the impression I got in the manual.

jaguarskx
x3

Post by jaguarskx » Mon, 31. Oct 05, 15:35

Haven't played X3 yet since it not released yet in the US, but perhaps someone in the modding community will create a script to extend the range of this device beyond a mere 25 meters.

I guess it's something Egosoft dreamt up to reduce the profitability of capping ships. Imagine having to fly 25m away from an abondoned M3 in your M2 or M1 simply to claim it.

What about the transporter device? Has anyone attempted to use it to claim an abandoned ship? I know it is only for transfering between your own ships, but it would be nice if it had this ability. I assume it still exists in X3.

KarlHemmings
x4

Post by KarlHemmings » Mon, 31. Oct 05, 15:43

jaguarskx wrote:What about the transporter device? Has anyone attempted to use it to claim an abandoned ship? I know it is only for transfering between your own ships, but it would be nice if it had this ability. I assume it still exists in X3.
The transporter device is still there and works just like x2. In other words you can transport stuff between player owned ships - as you do not own the abandoned ship.... was worth a try.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”