Old Steam Poll posts split and 'archived'

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

perkint
x3tc

Post by perkint » Thu, 13. Oct 11, 01:53

Chris0132 wrote:I don't get why people think charging for DLC is an abhorrent practice.
Abhorrent? No! A break from what we are used to? Definitely! And some people get used to, and grow to like a developer because of how they've always behaved (developing and releasing extra content for free).

Does that mean Ego should not look to do chargeable DLC? Not necessarily. Does it mean some people will be disappointed? Obviously!

But, as I've previously said, how much I dislike chargeable DLC depends on how it's done. You sell me a game? I expect access to everything in that game. You want to add more to it afterwards and charge for it? I don't mind.

But, if you release a game with stuff included that I can only access if I pay you additional money further down the line? I hate (really, really hate) that!!!

Tim
Struggling to find something from the forums - Google it!!! :D

Chris0132
xr

Post by Chris0132 » Thu, 13. Oct 11, 01:57

VincentTH wrote:
imperium3 wrote: 3) I just don't understand what you mean. It sounds like you're asking for something that would involve a change to the Steam client itself, which is kiiiiiinda beyond Ego's capacity.
If you bother to read the recent Steam Client Update CHange log, Steam has started to provide a HTTP mode. If you don't understand what was being asked, please refrain from commenting on it.

to wit (Steam Change log Jul 12, 2011):
Steam client update released
Client Update - Valve
A Steam client update is now available. To apply the update, click the File menu inside of Steam and then select "Check for Steam Client Updates...". The specific changes include:

Features
Initial client side support for upcoming improved content delivery system (groundwork for future performance/reliability improvements to downloads)
Added find text in HTML pages ( CTRL+F )
Added “copy link” option to web browser right click menu
Added suggested friends from Facebook display in client, if you’ve linked with Facebook
Added the ability to push screenshots to Facebook after upload
Additional HTTP API support for Steamworks partners
Added check so screenshots for unreleased games can only be uploaded as private in the client.
Added Facebook info when receiving a friend invite.
That still has nothing to do with egosoft, everything to do with steam authentication and downloads is valve only, they make the client, they provide the servers and authetication protocols.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Thu, 13. Oct 11, 02:01

Prefer to avoid DLCs myself.

It's not that I find them necessarily abhorrent. It's simply that I prefer to minimise the risk of buying things online, particularly frivolous stuff like computer games (buying a disk from a shop with cash really helps to minimise the chance of credit card details getting stolen). Obviously that goes double for DLCs, may only be a couple of quid but if that computer happens to to get hacked... May sound silly to the younger generation, who have grown up with online transactions, but I worry about such things.

Anyway these days games often get re-released a few months/years later with all the DLCs included in the price - for example got a good deal on Fallout 3 a few months back, came complete with all 5 DLCs on the disk for £10. Also those were quite big DLCs, well worth having but rather glad I didn't actually have to download them (fixed monthly download limit on my internet connection).

Chris0132
xr

Post by Chris0132 » Thu, 13. Oct 11, 02:05

Make sure your PC is free of viruses (install an antivirus, keep windows updated, use something like firefox with noscript and adblock to prevent things downloading automatically, don't download from shady websites or spam emails) and make sure anything you buy something from is using HTTPS (and that you haven't been redirected to a site which is KIND of like the one you were on, but not really the same one), and you'll be fine.

Fear stems from ignorance, educate yourself on good online safety and you'll be safe and confident on the internet.

VincentTH
x4

Post by VincentTH » Thu, 13. Oct 11, 02:07

Chris0132 wrote:
VincentTH wrote:
imperium3 wrote: 3) I just don't understand what you mean. It sounds like you're asking for something that would involve a change to the Steam client itself, which is kiiiiiinda beyond Ego's capacity.
If you bother to read the recent Steam Client Update CHange log, Steam has started to provide a HTTP mode. If you don't understand what was being asked, please refrain from commenting on it.

to wit (Steam Change log Jul 12, 2011):
Steam client update released
Client Update - Valve
A Steam client update is now available. To apply the update, click the File menu inside of Steam and then select "Check for Steam Client Updates...". The specific changes include:

Features
Initial client side support for upcoming improved content delivery system (groundwork for future performance/reliability improvements to downloads)
Added find text in HTML pages ( CTRL+F )
Added “copy link” option to web browser right click menu
Added suggested friends from Facebook display in client, if you’ve linked with Facebook
Added the ability to push screenshots to Facebook after upload
Additional HTTP API support for Steamworks partners
Added check so screenshots for unreleased games can only be uploaded as private in the client.
Added Facebook info when receiving a friend invite.
That still has nothing to do with egosoft, everything to do with steam authentication and downloads is valve only, they make the client, they provide the servers and authetication protocols.
It has everything to do with Ego. They are the one who will write the codes to use (call into) the Steamworks HTTP API.

Besides that Bernd has stated that they are in good accord/relationship with Steam devs. If there is any features that currently is not provided by Steam that we, Ego's customers want, Egosoft would be the one who can ask Steam to do it. We can't.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 13. Oct 11, 02:12

Chris0132 wrote:Make sure your PC is free of viruses (install an antivirus, keep windows updated, use something like firefox with noscript and adblock to prevent things downloading automatically, don't download from shady websites or spam emails) and make sure anything you buy something from is using HTTPS, and you'll be fine.

Fear stems from ignorance, educate yourself on good online safety and you'll be safe and confident on the internet.
Tell that to the 93,000 Playstation Network account owners whose accounts just got closed. Webites dealing with financial transactions and passwords are favorite targets of hackers. You go ahead and keep your rose-tinted glasses on and the rest of us will be a bit more wary. :P
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Chris0132
xr

Post by Chris0132 » Thu, 13. Oct 11, 02:13

VincentTH wrote:It has everything to do with Ego. They are the one who will write the codes to use (call into) the Steamworks HTTP API.
Steam authentication is a steam-wide thing, it has nothing to do with individual games.

You authenticate with steam by logging into steam, using your login details and the steam client, which has nothing to do with X or any other game on steam.

You download updates using the steam client also, from valve servers, game developers send their patches to valve, and valve distributes them.

If you buy a game on CD from the store, and it's a steamworks game, you validate it by putting the key into the steam client, which then adds the game to your account, to download from steam or to use the backup files on the disc to retrieve the game data.

Whatever the HTTP API does for steamworks games, it has nothing whatsoever to do with authentication, game downloads, or anything else you're bringing up as things you want from steam.

Honestly if anything, I assume it has something to do with file sharing between people using the steam community, or steam voice chat or something. Something that steamworks adds onto games. Steamworks is after all mostly a chat package bolted on over games.

Alternatively it may involve adding new functions to the ingame web browser.

Incubi
xr

Post by Incubi » Thu, 13. Oct 11, 02:14

no need for DRM on steam version

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Thu, 13. Oct 11, 02:19

Chris0132 wrote:Make sure your PC is free of viruses (install an antivirus, keep windows updated, use something like firefox with noscript and adblock to prevent things downloading automatically, don't download from shady websites or spam emails) and make sure anything you buy something from is using HTTPS (and that you haven't been redirected to a site which is KIND of like the one you were on, but not really the same one), and you'll be fine.

All good advice, though it's not really my computer I worry about. I just hear every now & then about big companies being hacked & losing the personal details of their customers - if they don't have my details stored on their database there's no way my info can be stolen if their system is hacked.

VincentTH
x4

Post by VincentTH » Thu, 13. Oct 11, 02:21

@Chris0123

I refrain from commenting, for fear of turning this thread into a debate of Steam merits. There is always the Poll thread for that.
I am here to collect what we want in a Steam-only X-Rebirth game.

[EDIT] Sigh! It got moved anyway.
Last edited by VincentTH on Thu, 13. Oct 11, 03:05, edited 1 time in total.

Chris0132
xr

Post by Chris0132 » Thu, 13. Oct 11, 02:21

Nanook wrote:
Chris0132 wrote:Make sure your PC is free of viruses (install an antivirus, keep windows updated, use something like firefox with noscript and adblock to prevent things downloading automatically, don't download from shady websites or spam emails) and make sure anything you buy something from is using HTTPS, and you'll be fine.

Tell that to the 93,000 Playstation Network account owners whose accounts just got closed. Webites dealing with financial transactions and passwords are favorite targets of hackers. You go ahead and keep your rose-tinted glasses on and the rest of us will be a bit more wary. :P
And if you go to the bank there's a chance you might end up being shot by a bank robber, or mugged on the street, or your house might be hit by a meteor, or if you travel you'll be hijacked by terrorists and flown into a building.

It's called reasonable risk. As a rule in life, if you exercise common sense, bad things probably won't happen to you, but of course you might just get unlucky. There is however absolutely nothing whatsoever you can do about that. Other than of course living inside a plastic bubble and never doing anything at all and devolving into a gibbering mass of terrified, urine-smelling flesh.

But personally I prefer to just be sensible and give fortune the middle finger. Life is boring if you don't live it.
GCU Grey Area wrote:
Chris0132 wrote:Make sure your PC is free of viruses (install an antivirus, keep windows updated, use something like firefox with noscript and adblock to prevent things downloading automatically, don't download from shady websites or spam emails) and make sure anything you buy something from is using HTTPS (and that you haven't been redirected to a site which is KIND of like the one you were on, but not really the same one), and you'll be fine.

All good advice, though it's not really my computer I worry about. I just hear every now & then about big companies being hacked & losing the personal details of their customers - if they don't have my details stored on their database there's no way my info can be stolen if their system is hacked.
That's a really small number of people all told. And most banks nowadays have things they can do about that. If you keep track of who you've spent money with, and if you hear about something happening to that company, you can contact your bank and say 'hey I think my details might be compromised can you help me?' and they'll probably say 'sure, you can change a bunch of them and we can give you a new card with a new number and deactivate the old one, that way nobody can use it'.

Credit card fraud is generally a problem if you don't take precautions, like if you basically hand people your card on a silver platter. But the bank wants to keep your custom so they will help you with it if you want them to. Most people just don't bother.

For me, I do all my steam and other online transactions through my paypal account. So no matter what I buy and from where, paypal is the only one with my info. They only store it once, and they're a big company so they know how to keep it secure, and they can be held accountable if something does happen. My bank knows I'm registered with them as well so I am quite confident that if I need to I can tell them what happened and they'll sort it out.

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Thu, 13. Oct 11, 02:56

Hi,

One comment regarding the "don't update me" settings you can apply to the titles in your library... It will only not try to update the game as long as you don't try to run it. It's point seems to be to stop you wasting bandwidth on older games you maybe don't play anymore.

As soon as you launch that game, assuming you are in Online Mode in Steam, it will attempt to check for and download any updates. Also, once steam knows there's an update you'll likely not be able to play until you apply it.

This information is from current steam users direct experience on another thread. So, the "don't update me" setting in steam isn't quite as clear cut as you'd beleive.

Most people with most games likely don't care, after all keeping your game up to date is usually a good thing. However, something like XR which we know will be modded, might prove not quite so simple IF, for example, patching would break your current saves. Reverting to an older backup might not be possible - not tried it.

Can someone confirm what happens if you backup say v1.1 of a game, patch 1.2 comes out, is automatically applied and breaks something. Can you restore your v1.1 version and have steam NOT update it AND let you actually run it when it knows you're using an old version? Others have reported that steam will NOT let you play period once it knows you're not up to date.

The thing that's a little worrying is that even people who say they've got loads of steam games seem to be getting certain details on fairly fundamental steam features wrong. Basically, and I can't say I blame them, they assume "offline mode" means you can stay offline - it's not quite that simple, Also they assume "don't update me" means just that, however it can also mean "you cant play me then!" too...in certain circumstances.

I had been trying to build a good FAQ type post, gathering what information I could about Steam, it's quirks, things to know etc. but for some unknown reason it got merged with the poll thread...sorta muddied the waters and the good information present. I DO still have the notes I've made however, as well as my own experiences documented, so I still hope to create a FAQ/knowledge base type thread to hopefully put peoples minds at rest & provide some help if steam is being a pain.

My main question is around how XR's particular steam implementation will handle mods. I really hope Egosoft have this in hand. Sure, ANY update might break a 3rd party mod and rander your saves invalid, we all accept that. However, having the option NOT to apply a patch and still play normally would be perfect. I am unaware if there's such a thing as an "optional" update in steam. Anyone care to comment?

Cheers,

Scoob.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 13. Oct 11, 03:04

Sorry chaps, but another Steam thread just clutters up the forum for people who might be interested in discussing other things. Not only that but it makes it harder for people like Bernd to follow the discussion and try to answer questions and concerns. For that reason I've merged this into the main Steam thread, and I'd appreciate it if people didn't keep starting new Steam threads.

strude
x4

Post by strude » Thu, 13. Oct 11, 05:09

Scoob wrote:However, having the option NOT to apply a patch and still play normally would be perfect. I am unaware if there's such a thing as an "optional" update in steam. Anyone care to comment?
I can't be sure, but I doubt an optional update is available (not heard of one in any case). Steam doesn't keep a list of patches to be applied since the last update. It simply keeps a list of the current version files. When it checks for updates, it doesn't so much check if a new patch has been released, but more compares the file in it "current version" list with the files you have. If any are different, those file are re-downloaded.

In regards to mods, any files that are not listed in the Steam server list are untouched. If you modify a file in the Steam server list, it will be replaced.

This is the cause of some mods in TC becoming broken where the modder has changed the Egosoft game files. Steam sees a different file and replaces it with the original file. Egosoft MUST make sure modding is done without the need to edit the original games files, or similar things will happen. Strangely, it did have the benefit of making it easy to return to a vanilla game. Just delete the scripts folder (or any folder with modified content) and verify the Steam cache, and Steam downloads the complete original set of files without a need to reinstall.
Gaming PC: Gigabyte H270M-D3H | i7 7700 | 16Gb DDR4 | Gigabyte GTX1060 6Gb OC | Asus Xonar DGX | Window 10 Home 64bit | Samsung 256Gb SSD

Asmodae
x3tc

Post by Asmodae » Thu, 13. Oct 11, 05:14

Cycrow wrote:
Asmodae wrote:Steam is a touchy subject for me. I've been against it and systems like it because they change the relationship with the publisher from purchaser to renter (licensee). It's a long standing trend in games and is getting worse.
thats actually not technically true.
software and games have always been a licence rather than an ownership.
the EULA's state this, even for boxed versions of games, and have done since before digital distribution was about.

afterall, you not paying the full price it cost to make whats on the disc, only a share of it
As I indicated the trend is industry wide, and EULA's are a part of that, but without an online authentication system there's little a publisher can do practically or legally to prevent me selling, lending, or giving away the disk, and therefore the game.

Personally I think the war on used game markets and consumer rights is a bad thing all around. Book publishers tried the same thing years ago and failed. Now with digital goods everyone thinks the rules are different. I don't think they are, just that technology is more capable and fewer people in the legal community understand what's going on (judges, legislators, etc.).

When you have a physical object in your hand you paid for, everyone knows that's your object, and nobody can tell you what to do with it. When it's a digital representation, all good sense seems to go out the window.
Mightysword wrote:heh, I wonder if people remember a few years ago PC gaming market were a slum. You might not want to admit it, but online distribution certainly is a big contributor to the PC renessance in recents years. You might have some pet peeve with it, but the fact that it has make games more accessble to a lot more audience and give the studio a boost in distributing their work, epseically small or independent studios.
I've been around a while, and I don't remember this so-called slum that PC gaming was. Complex and deep moddable titles (like the X series) which only make sense on the PC have always been fairly uncommon, but now they are getting downright rare. I'm not sure digital distribution is helping that situation any. The DRM sure helps publishers lock things down though so they can offer innumerable tiny DLCs, and micro-payment structures. Economics 101, do less, charge more. It's great for everyone but customers.
Mightysword wrote:
So allow me to put it frankly here, the way I see it:

- If it's just your pet peeve, then you just have to work around it and accept that this is how thing going in the future. Do you think the people who regular Steam really never had any problem with Steam? Hardly, why don't you think most of us ran into problem, found a way to fix, and move on with our life, enjoys hundred of hours from it afterward? And if you say you shouldn't have to? Guess what, look like you should.

- I know some of you provide some really extreme and convincing arguement on why you "can't" use it. However I think you should realize that those extreme arguement actually works against you. The more extreme your arguement, the more isolated your case is, and the more you prove yourself part of smaller minority. Too bad you can't play it, but you think a for profit company would accomodate you like a public institute?

Of course, there is always the option as "then I won't be playing", and really it might just come down to that. If that's genuiely the case then too bad. If you intend to use that as a threat though, and I bet lots of you do, think about the credibility of it.
The rest of your post is basically an arbitrary dismissal of everyone that does have legitimate problems and concerns. It doesn't offer any counter arguments and instead attacks the person for having the problem in the first place. It is not conducive to productive discussion.

strude
x4

Post by strude » Thu, 13. Oct 11, 05:21

Asmodae wrote:When you have a physical object in your hand you paid for, everyone knows that's your object, and nobody can tell you what to do with it. When it's a digital representation, all good sense seems to go out the window.
You do in fact own the physical object in your hand in any case. The disk that is. The disk is a storage medium containing a digital representation of a computer program. It's the digital representation of a computer program that this issue is about, not the storage medium.

Besides, I'd like to see you physically hold a computer program in your hand without a storage medium.
Gaming PC: Gigabyte H270M-D3H | i7 7700 | 16Gb DDR4 | Gigabyte GTX1060 6Gb OC | Asus Xonar DGX | Window 10 Home 64bit | Samsung 256Gb SSD

Asmodae
x3tc

Post by Asmodae » Thu, 13. Oct 11, 05:31

strude wrote:
Asmodae wrote:When you have a physical object in your hand you paid for, everyone knows that's your object, and nobody can tell you what to do with it. When it's a digital representation, all good sense seems to go out the window.
You do in fact own the physical object in your hand in any case. The disk that is. The disk is a storage medium containing a digital representation of a computer program. It's the digital representation of a computer program that this issue is about, not the storage medium.

Besides, I'd like to see you physically hold a computer program in your hand without a storage medium.
That's a distinction without difference. Copyright governs the right to the code and the artwork. The instance of the playable game though is mine. If there was any legal credence to your theory used game stores would not be in business, but they turn a tidy trade in used console games. Publishers would love for that to end. Ultimately that's what Steam is about, control. When consumers have none, products suffer. Also, econ 101.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Thu, 13. Oct 11, 06:11

If you read page 43, then you read page 1, you realise that they're the same arguments, tired, but slightly evolved. Few, if any, have changed their minds...

On off-topic there are two kinds of thread that galvanise people into one group or another... God and politics... - It seems that this place has found its own 'political god'.

'All praise to the Steam, symbol of light and hope in a world filled with decay and misery,' say the enlightened.

'We spit on you Steam, false prophet and perverter of man. Begone back to the sulphurous depths from whence you sprang,' say the other enlightened.

Somewhere, in the midst of it all, a light shines brightly, searing away doubt from the disbelievers. 'Verily, behold the Rebirth,' cries the Bernd, 'look upon it and feel joy, for it is good and wholesome and only forty Euros from your local game store in boxed version,' the Bernd shuffles his feet. 'It's also available in Steam version, also for forty Euros.'
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

thetack
x3tc

Post by thetack » Thu, 13. Oct 11, 09:24

all good advice except that last night i found a trojan by chance thats been missed by anti virus software for two years.

and in case you are wondering it was in an old steam folder in the archives of my d drive i didnt know hadnt disapeared when i removed steam 2 years ago

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Thu, 13. Oct 11, 09:46

online transactions through my paypal account.
That is one of the favorite sites used to dupe customers into giving their details.

I used it once and started to get all sorts of dubious emails from "Paypal".Never used it since ,and ignore all mails from them whether genuine or not.

all good advice except that last night i found a trojan by chance thats been missed by anti virus software for two years.
Any chance you can tell us what to look for ?

Regarding "middle ground"...

The middle ground is for those who are wary of Steam ,to try it on a rig that is not important.
If they have problems that they are unhappy about and can't be sorted,then they can just cancel the account and removed Steam from their setup.
If they are happy with the results then they can install on their main computer if they wish.

But this does not help those with only one rig.
As stated elsewhere I had Steam on my old rig.
Did not like it.
Only installed on this rig to get the "sunny place" DLC.

When I get the final full information of XR links to Steam,I will decide whether to download from Steam,or get the Retail boxed version,or just wait until the dust settles,bugs sorted and new cheaper version is released.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”