[POLL] Would you use Steam for Rebirth?

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Would you purchase Rebirth if Steam is required...

Just for activation
9%
For activation and updates
63%
I would never use Steam if it was the last surviving games platform
26%
If Steam required periodic log-ins to check your install
3%

Total votes: 2353

pyros24
xrvr

Post by pyros24 » Thu, 15. Aug 13, 15:07

I may play games more than most people, that is not really an assumption over the last 14 year I probably spend at least 12 hours a day playing games, before that it was probably 4-8 hours a day since 1976 when I first got into games.

I remember spending 5 hours typing in a game for the zx81, zombie it was called one of the early ones in sinclair magazine.

My love of games consoles and computers never wavered

My first pc as we think of them now was a 286 12mhz I built, my first overclock was a 486dx2 25/50 which I ran for 6 months without a case, the heatsink was a kitchen knife resting on the cpu.

Current hardware is three pc's on my desk, main gaming pc, secondary and an xp laptop for games like Klingon Academy and total annihilation.
I am usually mutitasking on my HTC one aswell.

Gaming is in my blood, I was one of the early adopters of steam, I now have 478 games on steam spread over three seperate accounts and I have been using steam since 2003 .

Many of my games are set to play offline so that when I go to lan parties or on holiday I do not have to be concerned with local networks.

My gaming pc has never suffered a crash and I have never lost access to a game due to steam.

My pc performance has never suffered due to steam and yes I would know my main pc is a self designed custom built liquid cooled beast funny thing is I do not have skype, email or TS on my main pc only steam.

I trust valve and there business survivability more than most developers out there.

In that same 10 years I have probably lost access to over 40 box games due to disk errors, lost cd keys and companies going out of business.

I know all the arguments against steam the same thing happened when skyrim was steam activated.

Life is full of uncertainties and what ifs, as for me I have no problem with steam, I like my save games and settings being backed up to the cloud, I like my games updating and the level of support, I would even go as far as saying I would prefer to buy a steam game than a retail game even if the price was exactly the same.

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Thu, 15. Aug 13, 22:37

Nice to see a very positive feedback from an obviously keen and lucky gamer.

I do like the heatsink :o :D

CuriosityKillsTheMADCat
x4

Post by CuriosityKillsTheMADCat » Fri, 16. Aug 13, 02:44

"the heatsink Surprised Very Happy"

The good old times when printers made "brrrttt bbrrrrtttt" :D .

MFG

CKTMC
Fähiger Pilot wie DU sein...
"When ships to sail the void between the stars have been invented, there will also be men who come forward to sail those ships."
Johannes Kepler, Somnium, 1634 A.D.

Janichsan

Re: Open letter regarding Steam and a few announcements

Post by Janichsan » Wed, 4. Sep 13, 15:01

CBJ wrote:
Janichsan wrote:That's nice for those who own a Windows license, but what about those who bought the Mac (and Linux?) versions of the games earlier? I gather that these people have to buy the games once more, especially since the old third-party ports apparently no longer will be supported.
We are doing our very best to ensure that this isn't the case. Where there are registration codes for the Linux and Mac versions developed by third parties, and we are able to get hold of those registration codes from those third parties and provide them to Steam, we are doing so, so that owners of any platform version will have access to all platform versions, as per the spirit of SteamPlay.
So, any news on that?

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 4. Sep 13, 15:09

Nothing yet, but I've just asked for an update and will let people know if and when I get one.

GTVAPSAMTIK
x3

Post by GTVAPSAMTIK » Thu, 5. Sep 13, 01:07

I simply hate steam.

Jumee
x3tc

Post by Jumee » Thu, 5. Sep 13, 05:56

they stated in the "answers thingie" that there might be a no-steam exe within a year, so hopefully this thread can die now
"If any idiot ever tells you that life would be meaningless without death, Hyperion recommends killing them"

lets pretend november 15 never happened

piiman

Post by piiman » Thu, 5. Sep 13, 06:24

GTVAPSAMTIK wrote:I simply hate steam.
Why?

jasonbarron
x4

Post by jasonbarron » Thu, 5. Sep 13, 06:30

I think Steam provides a great service.

As an aside, didn't Bernd say (on some thread) that Ego would have been hard pressed to stay in business if it weren't for Steam?
Ayn Rand was correct.

Ebany
x4

Post by Ebany » Thu, 5. Sep 13, 06:50

pyros24 wrote:In that same 10 years I have probably lost access to over 40 box games due to disk errors, lost cd keys and companies going out of business.
I hear you brother, I'm looking at one right now (Bandit Kings of Ancient China) (& Mines of Titan) *sigh*

Your first computer is like your first love, you never forget. Mine was a Dick Smith System 80 which used the old audio cassette tapes and each game had to be programed before you played, once you turned it off the program was lost ...... kind of like my memories they days :)
piiman wrote:
Why?
Simply a statement of an individuals singular choice regarding a certain small question in life's long adventure, why do they need a "why"? Simple answer is they don't, they just need to make a decision and continue with life.
jasonbarron wrote:I think Steam provides a great service.

As an aside, didn't Bernd say (on some thread) that Ego would have been hard pressed to stay in business if it weren't for Steam?
Possibly, I know this was said on another thread; "The honest answer is that at least recently this way of development also started to become lucrative, thanks to the way we sell our games (Steam)."
He who bends himself a joy
Does the winged life destroy,
But he who kisses joy as it flies
Lives in eternities sunrise.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Thu, 5. Sep 13, 09:05

Ebany wrote:
piiman wrote:
Why?
Simply a statement of an individuals singular choice regarding a certain small question in life's long adventure, why do they need a "why"? Simple answer is they don't, they just need to make a decision and continue with life.
I think the point is there are some people like myself who encountered Steam with HL2 and did not give it another look because they "hated it" until someone gave them a nudge to give it another chance after several years of not touching it.

In addition, there are at least some people that listen to all the anti-Steam propaganda and take it at face value and as a result may be led into a negative opinion of Steam without ever having looking into themselves and making their own assessment.

However, there are some who do dislike Steam for various personal and perhaps genuine reasons (even if some don't agree with them).

Without some level of qualification of why they dislike it, we do not know which of these groups GTVAPSAMTIK most appropriately fits in. Which is probably why the question was asked.
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

aXeL_UK
x3tc

Post by aXeL_UK » Thu, 5. Sep 13, 16:57

I love Steam, several times now it helpfully identified Skyrim as non-standard (i.e. modded) and helpfully rectified the problem without any intervention from me.... Luckily I had backups. The third time I caught it and removed Steam. Never had any problems running without it.

Will happily be playing XR and will happily hand over cash for the game <edit made to avoid what seemed a veiled reference to possible licence-breaking activity. Alan Phipps>

Having said that, if Steam had a "This game is modded - don't touch" button that would be slightly better.

GebürtigerTerraner
xr

Post by GebürtigerTerraner » Thu, 5. Sep 13, 17:15

aXeL_UK wrote:I love Steam, several times now it helpfully identified Skyrim as non-standard (i.e. modded) and helpfully rectified the problem without any intervention from me.... Luckily I had backups. The third time I caught it and removed Steam. Never had any problems running without it.

Will happily be playing XR and will happily hand over cash for the game <edit made to avoid what seemed a veiled reference to possible licence-breaking activity. Alan Phipps>

Having said that, if Steam had a "This game is modded - don't touch" button that would be slightly better.
Well that's odd, Steam never did that to my Skyrim.
It means nothing,its lika schamalamadingdong or give peace a chance!

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Thu, 5. Sep 13, 17:35

GebürtigerTerraner wrote:
aXeL_UK wrote:...

Me neither, but then I do not use Nexus Mods, only Steam Workshop (if any) ;)

As for the option, there is...

Properties --> Updates --> Automatic Updates: Do Not Automatically Update This Game

...which might do what aXeL wants.
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

Alci
x4

Post by Alci » Thu, 5. Sep 13, 17:49

it won't. And I guess skyrim had to be modified some way. Otherwise Steam would not have problem with it (and Skyrim would not run without it :) ).

But automatic updates means updates will not occur anytime Steam is running (like me when I get home and see 3 new downloads on Steam without my intervention). Disabling autoupdtes this will not occur. But it still updates the game when you try to run it. That can be prevented only by offline mode.

aXeL_UK
x3tc

Post by aXeL_UK » Thu, 5. Sep 13, 18:35

Yeah I already had that turned off. At one point I enabled updates after some critical (lol when are they not) updates from Bethesda. It didn't try to update, instead it trashed it and started re-installing the game from scratch. I wouldn't have mind as much if it had said, "I'm going to trash and reinstall your game" because then I would've just said, "ok forget it". I expect to have to tweak mods after an update but I didn't want to be completely re-installing all of them because it takes days to get them all working together nicely.

My game is Mod City :) Vanilla Skyrim is like going to Disney World and then staying in the canteen - a missed opportunity

Steam is like needing your passport to order pizza... and then needing it again to open the box - ridiculous

Slashman
x4

Post by Slashman » Thu, 5. Sep 13, 23:49

Skyrim is the most mod-friendly game I have played.

I have never run it Vanailla and never turned off auto update for it either.

Even if Skyrim breaks a mod, it is very unusual for it to not run and try to reinstall the whole game.

I run close to 28 mods including Sky UI and Categorized Favorites.

I've had it stop mods from running and in a couple instances not run unless a mod was removed after an update, but unlike X3, Skyrim loves mods.

I run only Nexus mods using the Nexus mod manager. Never used the Steam workshop.
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

piiman

Post by piiman » Sun, 8. Sep 13, 22:57

Ebany wrote:
pyros24 wrote:In that same 10 years I have probably lost access to over 40 box games due to disk errors, lost cd keys and companies going out of business.

piiman wrote:
Why?
jasonbarron wrote:
Lol every decision anyone makes has a why. They didn't just go "I hate Steam" and didn't have a why for it.
I'd also like the op to answer and not someone that doesn't know his "why". I'm not trying to star t a fight I'm interested in why he simply hates it. I'm funny that way. :-)

piiman

Post by piiman » Sun, 8. Sep 13, 23:16

GebürtigerTerraner wrote:
aXeL_UK wrote:I love Steam, several times now it helpfully identified Skyrim as non-standard (i.e. modded) and helpfully rectified the problem without any intervention from me.... Luckily I had backups. The third time I caught it and removed Steam. Never had any problems running without it.

Yes that doesn't sound normal since Steam has the workshop that has mods on it. Which is another nice feature. Browse for a mod and simply install it with a push of a bottom.

You could have also set Steam to not update the game. The only time Steam would mess with a modded game is if the developer doesnt support it

Now my question is how do you run it without Steam ? Did you buy it on steam? If you didn't buy it on Steam steam wouldn't have updated it and if you Did you need Steam to run it? So your statement about it un modding your game then you removing Steam and then never having a problem without steam seems odd.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”