Steam Specs

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

JClosed
x3tc

Post by JClosed » Fri, 16. Aug 13, 10:02

Zloth wrote:
JClosed wrote:It is a real silent system. I hate noisy computers...
I've found that singing along with the music (or at least whistling if it goes too high) makes computer noise irrelevant. ;)
You have a very strong case here... :P

But - one of the reasons I hate noisy computers is that they have to be placed in the same room I use for making recordings (soundsamples, instruments, voice etc.). Nothing is more distracting than a piece of acoustic guitar with a computer grinding in the background (yes you can improve a lot with right placing of the mic's and using supercardioid mic's, but it is still noticeable unless you have a decently silent computer).

But I must admit I will be an exception to the "normal computer user" (if something like that exists) rule.. :wink:

Oldman
x3tc

Post by Oldman » Fri, 16. Aug 13, 10:17

Cycrow wrote:
Oldman wrote:
robalexhall wrote:Can anyone comment how the game runs on amd cpu?

Intel are faster but that can be anything from 20% to 80% clock for clock over amd depending on optimization.

Worst case not one single amd cpu is going to meet the recommended spec.
I'm no expert on AMD cpu's versus Intel cpu's....far from it, but I can't imagine Egosoft haven't taken AMD cpu's into account when designing X Rebirth.
They wont have taken AMD processors into account. The game wont have any idea what kind of procesor is in the PC.
Well, no doubt you are correct, :) ...but this confuses me.
In the demo screens for the X3TC hardware test it clearly states that I have a "CPU Type AMD Phenom 2 x4 965 Processor"

Does this mean X3TC is more intelligent than X Rebirth!? (joking :D )

Oldman :)

danpaul88
x4

Post by danpaul88 » Fri, 16. Aug 13, 11:25

No, the game (and any other application) CAN quite easily query the type of CPU if it wants to, the point is that they're not going to write different code for one type of CPU vs another, it'll generally run the same code regardless of what brand of CPU you use.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Fri, 16. Aug 13, 11:45

Night Nord wrote:But games... nope, they are bad here.
Actually I would disagree on AMD being terrible for Games. The actual performance difference at worst tends to be marginal say, the AMD FX 8xxx processors are i7 class performance at i5 class prices.

For physics calculations, an AMD FX has 2 x 128 bit full FPUs per module to make use of which means that (although performance may not be optimal) when comparing it with an Intel HTed Core the AMD should still come out on top (or at least equal) in multi-threaded applications.

Of course, the best approach for Physics and the like would probably be to off-load them onto the GPU. :wink:
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

mcerd1
x3tc

Post by mcerd1 » Fri, 16. Aug 13, 12:03

Oldman wrote: It can be very confusing to see some reviews on cpu's, even an i5 intel cpu can in some cases give as good a performance as some flavours of i7.
thats because intel lie! (well at least they over simplify it)

I've got an i5 for my work PC (loads of CAD) - I ended up getting an i5 750 (LGA 1156) which has 4 proper cores and no integrated graphics
more like the i7's on the same socket, but without hyperthreading
(the 750 is really a basic version of the i7 8xx Lynnfield chip)

most other similar priced LGA1156 i5's at the time had 2 cores + graphics, which is a bit of different beastie (Clarkdale chips like the i5 6xx, i3 5xx, pentium 6xxx and celeron 1xxxx)

and its a totally different animal to my LGA1366 i7 at home

starting with several different micro architectures each split into several versions of the basic chip designs, then split again into the individual CPU models....
then they allocate the 5 brand names based on some rough idea of the overall performance of the model (so high end i5's have more in common with low end i7's etc....)

Raider480
x4

Post by Raider480 » Fri, 16. Aug 13, 23:05

danpaul88 wrote:the point is that they're not going to write different code for one type of CPU vs another, it'll generally run the same code regardless of what brand of CPU you use.
Unless they use Intel's compiler, in which case anything but an Intel CPU will be discriminated against and fed much slower instructions than it is capable of. There's a reason Intel paid AMD in excess of 1 billion USD over anti-competitive complaints.
Still, with the number of threads that XR is purported to be able to take meaningful advantage of, AMD chips should work exceptionally well.

jiman
x3tc

Post by jiman » Sat, 17. Aug 13, 07:40

I utterly destroy the recommended specs, the only issue I will have is making sure I have enough SSD drive space for the game :O

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Sat, 17. Aug 13, 11:11

jiman wrote:I utterly destroy the recommended specs, the only issue I will have is making sure I have enough SSD drive space for the game :O
Sounds like time to get a second SSD just for Steam OR to get a second SSD, convert the existing SSD to a Dynamic Disk then extend it's capacity with the second SSD.

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

Night Nord
x4

Post by Night Nord » Sat, 17. Aug 13, 12:35

Roger L.S. Griffiths wrote:
jiman wrote:I utterly destroy the recommended specs, the only issue I will have is making sure I have enough SSD drive space for the game :O
Sounds like time to get a second SSD just for Steam OR to get a second SSD, convert the existing SSD to a Dynamic Disk then extend it's capacity with the second SSD.
... and lose your data on both SSDs when one of them will eventually fail.

elexis
x4

Post by elexis » Sat, 17. Aug 13, 13:27

... unless your SSDs are modern enough to become read-only when they fail, which most these days are.

the-danzorz
x3tc

Post by the-danzorz » Fri, 23. Aug 13, 13:29

So i just pre-ordered the game, now that the store works with PayPal.

I also just got a new GPU (graphics card) as my old one was faulty so they traded it in for a new one.

I have a GTX 650TI Boost (2gb) GDDR5
4gb DDR2 ram
3TB of space
Intel Core 2 Quad 2.5ghz (factory clocked)
Windows 7 64bit

The thing that still worries me the most, is if the CPU will run the game. Will it still put different threads into each core or is that purely an I series supported feature?

I plan to not have the rendering distance that high so hopefully that limits the amount of things needing to be rendered on screen taking up the ram and maybe CPU.

Mobo limits me to 4gb at the moment unless i do a bios update, but that is risky so want to hold off on that.

elexis
x4

Post by elexis » Fri, 23. Aug 13, 13:38

Do you seriously have DDR2 RAM?
I wasn't away that any cpu that supported DDR2 could be 64 bit.

Geek
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Geek » Fri, 23. Aug 13, 13:39

the-danzorz wrote: The thing that still worries me the most, is if the CPU will run the game. Will it still put different threads into each core or is that purely an I series supported feature?
Multithreading is supported as long you as you have multiple cores.
It does not matter if it is an modern Intel or not.
Of course modern CPUs are more processing power overall, but that is a different topic.
Right on commander !

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Fri, 23. Aug 13, 13:41

elexis wrote:Do you seriously have DDR2 RAM?
Athlon 64 was just DDR1 going from memory. :roll:

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Fri, 23. Aug 13, 13:44

Geek wrote:Multithreading is supported as long you as you have multiple cores.
Multithreading does not require multiple cores or multiple CPUs it just requires an appropriate OS.

Multiple Cores/CPUs just makes multi-threading more efficient.

the-danzorz
x3tc

Post by the-danzorz » Fri, 23. Aug 13, 13:49

Thank you :)

randomuser
x4

Post by randomuser » Fri, 23. Aug 13, 14:09

i knew it :lol:
you need the hidden "optimal" hardware, "recommended" isnt enough

Raider480
x4

Post by Raider480 » Fri, 23. Aug 13, 21:38

Roger L.S. Griffiths wrote:Athlon 64 was just DDR1 going from memory. :roll:
I've still got one of those (barely) running NAS, even. Definitely DDR1 lol.
randomuser wrote:you need the hidden "optimal" hardware
Only to the extent that it's roughly as quick as what Egosoft recommends, I would venture. I'm pretty sure that even if I had a single core at like 8GHz the OS could schedule the threads well enough to let the game run properly.

mcerd1
x3tc

Post by mcerd1 » Mon, 26. Aug 13, 09:29

and DDR2's on my old P4 640 - that could run x64 too :wink:

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Mon, 26. Aug 13, 10:42

mcerd1 wrote:
and DDR2's on my old P4 640 - that could run x64 too :wink:
But VERY badly as I recall :P

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”