Doubtful
43%
No
25%

Total votes: 176

azmuth
xr

Post by azmuth » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 01:44

I am not sure if modders can save the game alone...therefore I chose doubtful. What I do believe is that Egosoft is going to have to work at adjusting and fixing what they already made (and not just fixing the bugs)
but addressing many of the game elements and features. I also feel if Egosoft gives the modding community whatever tools and support they need, it will sweeten the time our community plays Rebirth.

As it stands now though, from reading several posts in the modding forums; the modders need access to specific tools and elements of the game coding.
Probably better to go to that area for up to date requirements and specifics.

azmuth
xr

Post by azmuth » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 01:47

TargetLost wrote:
Captain Lemmiwinks wrote:whats needs fixing is untouchable by modders,
so no,modders cant save it.

they may however be able to fix a lot of the laziness and consolised dross .

question is...will they want to ?

For me it's even the question.. is it worth to?

Egosoft went so far off with this.. dumped everything that made their X-Serie the X Serie we loved that the modders in a way almost have to write a new game out of this game.

I think that transfomation shouldn't be done by modders but by egosoft
or in a teamed up work ..egosoft and mooders

First step hoever would be to confess that it was no success which they refuse to do.

Second would be to start LISTENING to the community/modders how to change it because obvious they don't know what the real values of their X-Serie was else the hadn't dumped everything.

Third is to dump their console port idea completly and convert it into a true PC game...with the correct control and graphic. ( It's anyway too late for a console with the destroyed reputation on steam. You only have one chance there and if you fail you failed your future.)

I played it today.
After a very big dissapointment yesterday I found a bit time and focused just on one little thing.. collecting space junk. As boring as that sounds..
it was actually the best half hour in the game so far..I simple relaxed and enjoyed the awesome space view and collected my credits.

And this is what still let me think it's not that bad...with this outside graphics...(inside and NPC is another topic)..I can enjoy it. If you play it right you can too..

..and then I think about everything thats missing now to be an X game
:cry:

and the last point..even if egosoft listens and change the game and work with modders...

Isn't it already too late for egosoft? Will they be able to survive?

With will and maybe help they might be abel to transform this into a X game and they might even create a new game after...but who is there to buy it then? Their reputation is destroyed..fair or not ..is not the point..it happened. I think they have no idea how significant this steam Release was for their future.

True the ppl bought the game in mass but that was before the release day. Egosoft made the money..but that mass is in rage now ..and with this Egosofts chance to sell anything in the future. And here we are back to our step point 1.

I don't really know where this all leads now.
Yes... all of this.

Thimble

Post by Thimble » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 01:48

Well, so far there's somewhere around five or so mods currently available for Rebirth and they all fix some of the pretty big and annoying gameplay aspects such as having to walk in stations to trade, get repairs, or hire crewmembers, another improves the cockpit view, a mod that skips the cockpit 'walk' transition, and some others.

Modding MIGHT be able to put a dent in the horrible qualities.

Arraamis
x3tc

Post by Arraamis » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 03:30

Mauzi! wrote:If modders could save the game, I'd call that after this unsatisfying release and making rather big money, it'd be appropriate that the modders would get an adequate compensation for their efforts (beyond a "free" game copy that they partly created anyways).

In my book that's the least to expect after this clearly intentional release, afterall it can't be that modders do the fixings while Egosoft gets the bucks. So, I'd hope that the modders keep onto their stuff for now and only provide it to the community for now, else Egosoft wouldn't feel the need to change their approach.
Co-sign!!!!

And the point of modder's receiving compensation shouldn't be out of the question or unreasonable.

I've noticed quite a few modder originated ideas implimented in rebirth -- In fact there's a whole bonus pack of modder created scripts that is being packaged by egosoft for use in TC:AP " X³ Terran Conflict - Bonus Package" "Bonus Package consists of a selection of scripts written by player community members. Egosoft has selected them as extensions that fit well into, and do not destroy the balance, of the game."

Did any of the modder's receive any compensation\bonus copy of Rebirth or anything at all, for developing these scripts that are being used ??????

So, in keeping on-topic ... The answer is NO!!!!
Modders should not be exploited in this manner and if egosoft is going to sit back and wait for the mod community to pick up the challenge of addressing Rebirth issue .... then I say let them wait forever.

Trust me modding is a lot of very hard, dedicated work and every modder that is part of the X-Community deserves monumental credit for the work they've done up to this point os past X-Games.

But, for Rebirth ..... I would suggest that modder's hold back and play the waiting game. Because the ingredients are already baked into the rebirth cake, modder's only add the icing. And in this case, unless Egosoft\Deep Silver is willing to spread the wealth with these modder's -- they should just chill.

Another very important point:

Do you guys realize that X-Modder's are to a large degree, responsible for the longevity of the series !!!!!!!

This is not an opinion ... Its the truth!!!!

These guys deserve better ..... and they don't deserve exploitation!

radic

Post by radic » Fri, 6. Dec 13, 16:24

give modders a way to understand, view and modify /ui. if given, answer is yes (with effort). if not given, who knows :p

Shootist
x4

Post by Shootist » Fri, 6. Dec 13, 16:28

Rebirth doesn't need saving you Shol'va.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Fri, 6. Dec 13, 17:16

Gazz wrote:I think the poll is seriously biased because it has no option for "I like the general direction of X:R but modders can still improve it".

Poll results are always what you want them to be... if you don't allow uncomfortable answers. =)
+1 ;)

But I voted yes (being a bit of a modder myself - not got started on modding X-Rebirth yet though), despite the fact I do not truly believe it is as bad as the bashers make it out to be (it does not need saving per se IMO) - and no this is not post-purchase-rationalisation since I accept there are flaws in the product and expect them to be addressed either via mods or Egosoft (mostly the later).
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

LV
Sith Lord
x3tc

Post by LV » Fri, 6. Dec 13, 17:40

MeltingPointSP wrote: When I think of the convoluted mess that modders will have to go through (and some very popular modders have already said 'screw that'), I shudder to imagine the time scale of mods like XRM. It truly is the case of using 20 lines of code where 1 line would do in any other language.
this was the main reason i took my walk but it was more down to my inability to learn VHS after becoming an expert in betamax (LV watches that whoosh go over many padwans heads)

From what i've read Rb is more like many games i hack with edits to xml code but most of the time it's things like time was 13:50, edit time to 12:00, money is 56 change to 600 gazillion

i just hope that for those are currently knee deep in RB code there is still an easy ability to change something like "shoot at ship" to "if ship is attacking x,y,z bring the four horsemen of the apocalypse down on them by doing a then b then c"

No idea on what output RB modders have got and don't forget coders as well (higher in the food chain :P)

Anyhow, for those that leave others will replace them, it's the natural order of things, even if the game got 1/100 if it can be modded easily "if you build it they will come" there will be new talent a plenty no doubt

The goddess known as melissa has been and gone (the creator of third party content and the first xbtf addons)

Reven aka Kurt Fitzner - creator of the msci handbook, a plethora of guides and posting help - been and gone

For those that do not know them, they first showed us we could do, then taught us how to.

The reason i post is....
One thing most of you seem to keep bringing up is cash.

I think i speak for most modders here (even as a near fully retired one), we do it for pleasure, as a hobby some people like driving cars, others like taking them to pieces, both get the same end joy, it's not for financial gain, in the main nobody wants money just to enjoy the hours of head-banging finding that : where the . should be :)
LV's TC Scripts
Readme's For All My Scripts

I felt a great disturbance in the forum, Like millions of voices cried out in terror, then were silenced

si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses

TinkerToy
x4

Post by TinkerToy » Fri, 6. Dec 13, 17:43

The fact that the creators of two of the most popular mods to date have both discontinued their Rebirth modding efforts may be a bad omen.

They seem to be of the opinion that Rebirth cannot support the kind of mods they'd want to make, i.e. the kind of mods they were making (and will continue to make) for X3.

I'm still hoping that some heroic modders will be able to twist and mangle Rebirth into something I'd enjoy playing. However, there is a substantial risk involved in extensive mods, because there are bound to be new expansions added by Egosoft.

Once the game is stabilised and playable in a v"anilla" state, we'll be able to see how many people play past the end of the campaign. THAT will be the acid test.

de_flipkabouter
x4

Post by de_flipkabouter » Fri, 6. Dec 13, 17:58

For me theres not alot of saving needed, all these statements about the game being unplayable and crappy. Go back to AP TC etc if you dont like it, why waste your time and aggravate folks who have been coming to these forums for years just to read useful information on the games they want to play and learn more about.

I cant spot good solid posts anymore in between all this endless cycle of nagging.

I am loving it atm, its new its fresh, its X but different, more vivid - it has bugs that will get fixed - show me another developer that busts out the patches in rapid order like this and keeps it up for years on end.

The disaster that was the diablo3 launch didnt get this much heat and they work with a gazillion times the budget :) (and it still stutters on my monster of a pc !!!)

--the point above made that modders deserve better and compensation - its a choice they make - you sir are making bogus arguments--

JClosed
x3tc

Post by JClosed » Fri, 6. Dec 13, 18:14

It is in fact impossible to give a good answer...

You see - Egosoft first must patch the game until it runs as they have intended it (if you like it or not is not important, because that's a question of taste and/or personal preferences).

Then - based on wishes of the users they going to add more and more extensions. This will be on a deeper level than modders are capable of.

In the mean while, mods add those things they personally like, and if someone likes it too, it is beneficial. However - modders will not "save" the game - they just do add-ons and modifications. Make the core game run good is not their work, but that of Egosoft.

If the real hidden question is: "will the modders make an X3 on steroids or an X4" and thus do a "save" of the game (in fact - turn the game in another instance of X/X2/X3/Xwhatvernumber), then the answer is: highly doubtful..

Yes - I know a lot of people want to see an Xn-again, but frankly - if they are turning this game in another boring instance of the same old dusty X, then I am off. You see - I want something new, and not another glorified "brush-up" version of X3. We already have an X3. And to "save" X Rebirth into an kind of X3-ish thingie is not anything I would like to see.

That said - I am not against "transplanting" some things from X3 to X Rebirth. That can be nice and sensible. But "overhauling" X Rebirth into something is was not intended to be is not "saving" anything, but trying to make an stratospheric jet into a flying submarine, because "we all" want a flying submarine..

jambock1978

Post by jambock1978 » Fri, 6. Dec 13, 19:03

No, modders can't save a game they can change a game. A heavily moded game isn't the original game, to think that some people want to the moders to change almost everything and that if it happens Egosoft is who will be praised for the wonderful game make me sick...

Drex
x2

Post by Drex » Fri, 6. Dec 13, 19:50

Captain Lemmiwinks wrote:
true..

other options to add...

SHOULD modders try and fix it

or

SHOULD modders get paid to fix it

or

WHY should modders fix it

SHOULD modders try and fix it

Why would they, thats not what modding is about.

SHOUILD modders get paid to fix it

Errr.....No.

WHY should modders fix it

They shouldn't, because its not up to them.

And the reason its not up to them, is because its solely down to the developer to fix it for us,
and guess what?........that's exactly what they are doing.

That's what software developer's do when things are not working as they should.

If there are certain bits in the game,that you do not like, then hopefully
a generous modder will create a mod to improve that aspect for you,

Also,they may improve on other aspects of the game as well.

That's what modding is about.... (well that's what I think modding is about,anyway)

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”