Joysticks with x rebirth

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Fri, 25. Mar 16, 12:15

BigBANGtheory wrote:ok I think I've figured it out and there is I believe a bug here somewhere...
Your post is essentially correct, though not sure I'd classify it as a bug, or if there is a bug, it's maybe that mouse control offers more functionality than it perhaps really should if Targeting mk2 is not yet installed. Anyway, as it stands I rarely find it an issue since Targeting mk2 is normally the very first thing I buy, often within minutes of starting a new game. It's really not all that expensive.

One thing I find helps in the very early game (i.e. before buying Targeting mk2) is that it's possible to disengage manual targeting mode by using the mouse to click anywhere except a viable target. Unfortunately does mean using the mouse, but it's a lot easier/quicker to grab the mouse to click on a random patch of space (rather than a specific target) if all I want to do is get the ship back into auto-targeting mode in order to dock.

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Fri, 25. Mar 16, 12:49

Or in the case of lockboxes, to target using mouse ,, click on a neutral space then fire ... guaranteed success ,,, ...... :)

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Fri, 25. Mar 16, 14:14

maybe bug is the wrong term here, it is certainly an unintended consequence or oversight of manual targeting with a couple of work arounds:

1. You don't manually target anything until you have the Mk2 Target Extension and thus remain in auto-target gamepad mode.

2. You use a mouse when needed to either target objects other than ships, or use a mouse to re-establish the auto-target behaviour by selecting empty space.

3. You simply use a kybrd & mouse for flight control

One assumes that gamepad users have this problem too. You have to question how many players haven't figured that out nor should they have to, it should just work. Its taken me this long to work it out :oops:

Egosoft should fix this imho, its not a game breaking problem but it is annoying and unnecessary I'll raise it in the public beta forum. Thanks for all the help it is appreciated we got there in the end 8)

gorman2040
x4

Post by gorman2040 » Fri, 13. May 16, 18:50

Hi guys,

Very interesting topic here.
I also have problems targetting with X52.
What I have found so far:

- You can disengage manual target simply by moving the mouse, no need to click
- Manual targetting get active either with target object or any targeting hotkey (eg: closest enemy, next target, ...)
- The two entries in control setting for target object are for different scenarios, on the map/menu and on actual flight but I agree it is confusing.

I did not try the MK2 targeting software but will do soon.

For me there should be a hotkey to clear manual target, like holding for a couple seconds the target object button.

I also started a new thread but didn't get much attention so I'm posting it here too.

How do you like the throttle with X52 ?
I liked how it worked with X3 ~25% throttle is 0 in game.
I X-rebirth it's 50% throttle is 0% in game so you can't use hardpoints on throttle to "feel"you are 0% engines.

Also using the new newtonian flight mode (AKA flight assist off) I feel like throttle is less relevant.

I guess having two joysticks make sense in this configuration.
"Show me your wares!"
Specs: i5-12600K, 32GB DDR4-3200, 1TB NVMe, RTX2060 Super. Saitek X52. LG 4K TV.
X3 Reunion, X3 TC, X Rebirth and now X4, still shooting Xenon and charting the universe since 2006.

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Sat, 14. May 16, 06:49

@gorman2040 read your other thread concerning x52, still not sure what you mean by 50% throttle is 0% in game,,,,,
Do not know if this helps since don't really understand problem but I moved the sliders in the X52 pro set up to match my desired usage of throttle in game.

As for your points on targeting ...I always have to mouse click/move to disengage target, real pain in the posterior....

gorman2040
x4

Post by gorman2040 » Mon, 16. May 16, 22:21

Agree with you on the targeting, it still needs some polishing.

As for the throttle, there is number on the round base of the throttle, 50 on this mean idle in game, I will check the X52 setup and hope to find what I seek.
Also I read some posts on Elite:Dangerous and it seems it's the same thing although they have an option in game to change this behavior.

Thanks.

Edit: So I looked at the setting and I didn't find anything to change throttle behavior other than deadzone specific for each axis.

I guess I'll have to get used to this.
"Show me your wares!"
Specs: i5-12600K, 32GB DDR4-3200, 1TB NVMe, RTX2060 Super. Saitek X52. LG 4K TV.
X3 Reunion, X3 TC, X Rebirth and now X4, still shooting Xenon and charting the universe since 2006.

Valtarien
x3ap

Would you mind sharing your dual Thrustmaster T.16000M X:R profile?

Post by Valtarien » Wed, 27. Jul 16, 21:39

Lander1979 wrote:I have used HOTAS setups for many years on a variety of simulators, from Helicopters and jets to space sims. For traditional Flight Sims I like the traditional HOTAS setups, but for Space sims I prefer a slightly different approach, I ditch the throttle for a second flight stick. At the moment I'm using dual Thrustmaster 16000m flightstick setup, and I swear by it.

I first started using a dual-stick setup in the early 90's playing Descent and Descent 2. (back then I used 2 quickshot joysticks).
Would you mind sharing your dual Thrustmaster T.16000M X:R profile? If I'm correct, it should be located in the .\Documents\Egosoft\X Rebirth\######## folder. I'm having trouble setting my own dual TM stick combo for this game. TIA!
Last edited by Valtarien on Wed, 27. Jul 16, 21:44, edited 3 times in total.

MrFiction
x3ap

Post by MrFiction » Fri, 29. Jul 16, 09:15

The targeting bug, i.e. not possible to deselect something, is the main reason I play with a mouse instead of a gamepad / joystick. I hope it gets fixed some day.

pep000

Re: Joysticks with x rebirth

Post by pep000 » Sun, 13. Mar 22, 06:43

Hey Nosscar or anyone else who has created an X52 pro profile for X Rebirth:

I own the Saitek X52 Pro but have hardly used it, and would very much appreciate getting a profile that's already been created for this game.

Thanks!

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”