Joysticks with x rebirth

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Nosscar
x4

Joysticks with x rebirth

Post by Nosscar » Mon, 8. Feb 16, 15:18

Ok, yes another joysick thread, but.

I have fairly reasonably been using my Thrustmaster T-flight x Hotas with x rebirth, yes i had some issues with combining them with the keyboard & mouse controls.

My xbox 360 pad seems not to like it and fails to work along with it. (pity, as i would have liked to use it for platforms)

Now i'm ordering the x52 Saitek this week, and hoping i can use the mouse feature, and rotaries for platforms or maybe a hat switch.

So i am looking for any advice now for setting this up, i will have many more buttons and stuff to use, and i am hoping the keyboard might not be needed often, are there any profiles available, are there any issues to expect, any info appreciated.
[ external image ]
Asus Tuf A17 Ryzen 7 - 4800h, GTX 1660ti, 16mb ram, ssd drive. win 11.

Miniding
x4

Post by Miniding » Mon, 8. Feb 16, 20:37

I tried my X52 on XRebirth a few times... It's immersive and fun!! Logically

If I may warn you about a detail, I find the stick not enough strong (resistant) with a large scale of movement... for me it's too hard to aim in dogfights for exemple...

If it may be a problem for you, pass your way for the X52 and find something better...

If it's not, you'll surely enjoy having all those button to setup and use... Could be long but worth the shot to make it yourself!!!! The X52 got a pretty futurist design and enough potential for a game like XR.

Hope I helped with this little experience I had with mine...
Sorry if I made synthax/language mistakes in English, I'm french! :wink:

Ask if want other infos!
Miniding
X3 Reunion - X3 Terran Conflict - X3 Albion Prelude - X Rebirth - X4 CE...

brettt777
x4

Post by brettt777 » Fri, 12. Feb 16, 19:16

Do you use a throttle and pedals with your X52? I have a logitech G940 stick/throttle and pedals (Force feedback in a space sim?!?!?!) and I have it set up exactly like a flight sim; stick for pitch and roll, rudder for yaw and throttle for bi-directional power control. Then I use the mini X and Y axis for strafing. I absolutely love it. Excellent maneuvering. Just wish I could use my TrackIR 5.
Matthew 11:28

Miniding
x4

Post by Miniding » Fri, 12. Feb 16, 19:42

X52 is a HOTAS so yes I do use the throtle but I don't have pedals to go along with it... X52 is à single throttle by the way... I didn't replug it since a while... Maybe I should give it a try for 4.0 release...
Miniding
X3 Reunion - X3 Terran Conflict - X3 Albion Prelude - X Rebirth - X4 CE...

brettt777
x4

Post by brettt777 » Fri, 12. Feb 16, 20:35

To me having the rudder pedals control the yaw makes all the difference in the world, especially in a fight...
Matthew 11:28

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Fri, 12. Feb 16, 21:34

@ Nosscar
X 52 pro ... Never really found the mouse a reliable feature, the rotaries can cause problems (mainly because you cannot tell when returning to deadzone)... caused problems in the past.
The slider on the throttle I use as the cargo magnet as it can remain on when flying through debris.
Otherwise I find it a well made and enjoyable joystick, along with my logitech m570 trackball I find them a perfect combination.

Nosscar
x4

Post by Nosscar » Sat, 13. Feb 16, 20:49

So i now have my x52 instead of my tflight x and i am loving it. I spent a few days getting it working how i like in x rebirth, and this is what i have so far.

I could put bindings on onedrive to share for anybody, when i find where they are stored from the game.

http://i.imgur.com/jMdPeUB.png
[ external image ]

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Sat, 13. Feb 16, 22:49

Hi Nosscar,, glad your pleased,,, very similar in setup in a few things very different in majority of others .... Took me a couple days to get the right profile, have it saved twice in 2 different storage devices....
On my second X52pro, first died on broken twist control but that was after 2000 hrs so cannot complain.... Documents.

Nosscar
x4

Post by Nosscar » Mon, 15. Feb 16, 12:41

birdtable wrote:Hi Nosscar,, glad your pleased,,, very similar in setup in a few things very different in majority of others .... Took me a couple days to get the right profile, have it saved twice in 2 different storage devices....
On my second X52pro, first died on broken twist control but that was after 2000 hrs so cannot complain.... Documents.
Hi, can you point me to where the saved game bindings are normally stored, not sure which ones to save.
[ external image ]

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Mon, 15. Feb 16, 15:28

Documents / Egosoft / XRebirth / a number / inputmap_1 ...

Save joystick as profile 1 in game menu and you will find it as inputmap_1 ..
other profiles will be inputmap.2 etc etc.
Last edited by birdtable on Mon, 15. Feb 16, 16:31, edited 1 time in total.

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Mon, 15. Feb 16, 16:07

birdtable, you might want to edit out that number in the folder name, depending on your privacy preferences ;)

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Mon, 15. Feb 16, 16:32

@ radcapricon

Thanks ...The innocence of old age ... Ahhhh bless him..... :) :?

Lander1979
x4

Post by Lander1979 » Tue, 16. Feb 16, 02:14

I have used HOTAS setups for many years on a variety of simulators, from Helicopters and jets to space sims. For traditional Flight Sims I like the traditional HOTAS setups, but for Space sims I prefer a slightly different approach, I ditch the throttle for a second flight stick. At the moment I'm using dual Thrustmaster 16000m flightstick setup, and I swear by it.

I first started using a dual-stick setup in the early 90's playing Descent and Descent 2. (back then I used 2 quickshot joysticks).
0101...0011...0011...0101...2!

Nosscar
x4

Post by Nosscar » Tue, 16. Feb 16, 14:40

birdtable wrote:Documents / Egosoft / XRebirth / a number / inputmap_1 ...

Save joystick as profile 1 in game menu and you will find it as inputmap_1 ..
other profiles will be inputmap.2 etc etc.
@birdtable, thanks, i just copied the whole folder along with the saves too.

Althouh i have been tweaking my profile quite a bit, i have found that using a blank profile with the saitek software allows me to add a few macros here and there, (just for drone launching now) and use the throttle's mouse wheel for external view and return to standard view, (i might fill it out completely one day, instead of ingame bindings)

I found the hardest thing to sort with the ingame bindings was finding which controls can be used twice for different parts of the game, it is not clearly seen, some keys will just wipe another, whilst some don't and allow multiple use. (even between the 3 control sections)

The macro buttons need to be left unbound in the game, just a shame i can't figure out how to use the pinkie trigger as a shift key.

Being able to create macro's on the x52 is brilliant, my drone macro is set to launch smart defence, and set the timing between further key presses to return them , all with one button press, set to 2mins now. (should be a launch all button, incl shield drones, maybe a mod idea)
[ external image ]

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Tue, 16. Feb 16, 15:07

Hi Nosscar ...
I use the joy button 4 for drone selection, rotate Joystick
I use the joy button 3 for interaction menu ... I can then depending on circumstances use rotation of joystick to access .. Autopilot, info, dock, remove from squad, hail, attack and board as far as I can remember.
This does free up a few keys....

Nosscar
x4

Post by Nosscar » Tue, 16. Feb 16, 16:12

birdtable wrote:Hi Nosscar ...
I use the joy button 4 for drone selection, rotate Joystick
I use the joy button 3 for interaction menu ... I can then depending on circumstances use rotation of joystick to access .. Autopilot, info, dock, remove from squad, hail, attack and board as far as I can remember.
This does free up a few keys....
problem, all my saves are now sticking at 75%, not sure if it is my x52 related or something else, i have posted my saves in tech issues to find out.
[ external image ]

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Tue, 16. Feb 16, 16:56

Good luck ...Hope they are not modded .... :) :) ..... O they were .. :roll:
Never used Autocrew so not sure (have you checked in Script and Mods) but revealz things always worked ok.

Nosscar
x4

Post by Nosscar » Sat, 20. Feb 16, 13:25

birdtable wrote:Good luck ...Hope they are not modded .... :) :) ..... O they were .. :roll:
Never used Autocrew so not sure (have you checked in Script and Mods) but revealz things always worked ok.
latest patch cured my problems with saves.

I have now figured out how to use the pinkie as shift in the software, and i have some great macro's now. like a button press to launch drones, and same button + pinkie to return them.
And a macro to visit crew at the back, i included escape key in the macro, works great, one button and a micro second to go to crew and back, no cut scenes now.
[ external image ]

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Sat, 20. Feb 16, 15:32

Glad your saves are valid again ... Your work on macro's could be put to great use in the Rebirth Wiki ...plenty of people with x52's would be glad of the info / advice........ maybe if Sparky spots this he could give opinion regarding the usefulness..... :) ,, that is if your willing to put the time in....

Nosscar
x4

Post by Nosscar » Sun, 21. Feb 16, 10:05

birdtable wrote:Glad your saves are valid again ... Your work on macro's could be put to great use in the Rebirth Wiki ...plenty of people with x52's would be glad of the info / advice........ maybe if Sparky spots this he could give opinion regarding the usefulness..... :) ,, that is if your willing to put the time in....
Sure, i intend to put a control sheet up when finalised, i could make both saitek and game profiles available too.
[ external image ]

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”