[4.30 + both DLC] The Skunk acts crazy while undocking from a Rahanas.

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

X-Me

[4.30 + both DLC] The Skunk acts crazy while undocking from a Rahanas.

Post by X-Me » Tue, 28. May 19, 02:08

Hello,

actually not just when undocking from a Rahanas!
Almost always when undocking from a station the skunk moves and wobbles erratically for 1 to 3 seconds while Ren is walking towards his seat.
Rarely the same problem occurs with a much greater force, and the Skunk hits against the very station's structures in close proximity of the docking platform (with BONK-ing sound, bouncing off, and all).

Always, instead, and I do mean 100% guaranteed to happen, the problem occurs when I undock from any Rahanas. And the forces acting on the Skunk here are so violent that she bounces off walls like a bullet for dozens of times. It goes into a crescendo of forces, it continues after Ren is fully seated, and I just have to wait for it to end. This has 2 possible outcomes: A) the Skunk stops inside the Rahanas, facing any random direction, and I can get out gracefully -OR- B) the Skunk glitches through the walls and is launched into space in a random direction at half a Km from the Rahanas.

I tried to find some discriminant to help investigating the problem.
No luck.
So as long as it a Rahanas (name a detail --> it won't matter at all) the pinball begins as the Skunk undocks.
Doesn't matter whether the Rahanas is moving or stationary, doesn't matter if damaged or in perfect shape, doesn't matter crew or cargo, doesn't matter if there's stuff around or is in empty space.

For this problem I could only google a suggestion on Steam forums to turn OFF "Automatic Target Selection" in the Controls page, under Settings.
Of course it has no effect on my game :(

If you have questions, you're welcome to ask them.
Thank you.

RainerPrem
x4

Re: [4.30 + both DLC] The Skunk acts crazy while undocking from a Rahanas.

Post by RainerPrem » Tue, 28. May 19, 05:13

Hi,

this is a well known problem. Workaround: Stop the Rahanas before launch.

cu
Rainer

X-Me

Post by X-Me » Tue, 28. May 19, 14:59

RainerPrem wrote:
Tue, 28. May 19, 05:13
Hi,

this is a well known problem. Workaround: Stop the Rahanas before launch.

cu
Rainer
Hi,
it happens even if the Rahanas is stopped :(

And the stations are standing still all the time, and it happens with them too.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 28. May 19, 15:54

There was once a user theory that the amount of Rahanas/Skunk undocking bounce somewhat depended on the angle and speed of the Skunk relative to the Rahanas' route heading back at the time when you hit the dock button. I personally haven't seen much to support that theory but it may be worth experimenting just in case.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

X-Me

Post by X-Me » Tue, 28. May 19, 16:31

I'm getting old.
I completely forgot that I reported this issue in the past, at the time of 4.10 rc2 in the "XR - Public Beta Feedback" section.
viewtopic.php?f=141&t=394423&p=4654675#p4654675

Oh well...
I just noticed that hitting ESCAPE as Ren starts walking [to his seat] in the Skunk's cockpit cancels the cutscene and, with it, any chance to bounce.

No cutscene --> no bouncing.
So what triggers the bug may be tied to that cutscene, or to something that does (or does not) take place during it, anyway.

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Tue, 28. May 19, 17:30

Do you have 'collision avoidance' turned on in the options menu? Ide try turning that off.

X-Me

Post by X-Me » Tue, 28. May 19, 18:35

Hi,
'collision avoidance' is OFF :( -- no luck

I'm getting convinced that it's something related to cutscenes.

I met a Taranis and wanted to gain info about it, but the Ship Scan mode would cap at 40%
So I positioned the Skunk on top of the Taranis' hull. This while she kept moving.
I entered the Drone and scanned the ship to 100%
Then I positioned the drone behind the Skunk and hit ESCAPE to regain control [of the Skunk].
What do you know, the Skunk slipped some. As if she lost 'grip' for a moment with the Taranis underneath.

Looks like it happens with any capital ship.
I place myself on top of their hull, enter the drone, leave the drone, mini-cutscene and skunk loses grip.
If the capital ship is boosting and I'm positioned at the rear end of it, the Skunk may lose contact and be left behind. Happened with my Rahanas while trading for me.

Could the two things be related?

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Tue, 28. May 19, 19:07

I just loaded up the game and tested with a lot of different ships, same thing happens to me but I had never noticed it because I always press escape to skip the animation.
It looks like certain ships 'grav-fields' are not accurate untill the player is in control of the Skunk. The Vulture and the Rahanas are really bad, but ships like the Fedhelm and Styvok work fine for me.

X-Me

Post by X-Me » Wed, 29. May 19, 00:18

Hi,
this playthrough is young; I haven't gone to De Vries and the Styrvok is out of reach for a while.
Since I'm charting the Sectors in Albion I'll try a Fedhelm and see how it goes.

jojorne
x4

Post by jojorne » Sat, 12. Dec 20, 12:56

Any news on this? related

oceanway
x3tc

Post by oceanway » Wed, 16. Dec 20, 15:21

This sounds like while you're off the Skunk and on the Rahana, the Rahana then moves causing the Skunk to not move with it since it's not anchored. It explains why the Skunk bounce around the Rahana when you board the Skunk, a similar event happens inside a station or an asteroid. Try stopping and level it by pressing the back button and keep the steering straight ahead. If you're in steering mode and the cursor is not in the center of the screen, the Skunk will turn and bump into the sides continuously.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”