Returning to X after 10 years

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Reskal

Returning to X after 10 years

Post by Reskal » Thu, 4. Jul 19, 22:51

Hi there,

i played X3 - i think it was Reunion - and i really loved it, especially the mods made it great. I remember the Universe-traders i sent to everywhere to trade, and i loved to make production/sell circuits in systems for weapons. And capturing huge ships and have them as system patrol.
Great mods but they all had their weaknesses and borders, they brought much fun into the game but some pain also.

I bought X Rebirth a bit ago and i wonder, if i can have that sort of fun in this part of the series also. How are the mods for X Rebirth ? Can you automatize big Ships for protection, for trading, for hauling materials for example ? And can you have lots of that without stuttering or screwing down your performance ? Have a 16 GB RAM, just mentioning.

Would be glad if you tell me a bit, because i heared many ppl are frustrated with X Rebirth.

RainerPrem
x4

Re: Returning to X after 10 years

Post by RainerPrem » Fri, 5. Jul 19, 12:38

Reskal wrote:
Thu, 4. Jul 19, 22:51
Hi there,

i played X3 - i think it was Reunion - and i really loved it, especially the mods made it great. I remember the Universe-traders i sent to everywhere to trade, and i loved to make production/sell circuits in systems for weapons. And capturing huge ships and have them as system patrol.
Great mods but they all had their weaknesses and borders, they brought much fun into the game but some pain also.

I bought X Rebirth a bit ago and i wonder, if i can have that sort of fun in this part of the series also. How are the mods for X Rebirth ? Can you automatize big Ships for protection, for trading, for hauling materials for example ? And can you have lots of that without stuttering or screwing down your performance ? Have a 16 GB RAM, just mentioning.

Would be glad if you tell me a bit, because i heared many ppl are frustrated with X Rebirth.
Many people had been frustrated with X-R, because it was really bad in the beginning. In the meantime - and with the DLCs - it's nearly as good as the X3 series. All in all a big thumbs up. By the way: If you never have played X3TC or X3AP, you should give them a go. They are still great games.

Reskal

Post by Reskal » Fri, 5. Jul 19, 20:35

Thanks for the answer so far, and how are the mods for X-R ? is there a list where i can choose the most liked mods eventually ?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 5. Jul 19, 21:15

That would be a question for the XR S&M forum, and ideally after browsing the related Stickies there. It is also a fact that the 'ideal' selection/mix of mods will depend upon individual playstyles and goals and so is not really 'one size fits all'. A common piece of advice is to play vanilla for a while and then decide what areas you wish to address with the appropriate mods.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

AR_Starfighter

Post by AR_Starfighter » Tue, 9. Jul 19, 06:06

Reskal wrote:
Fri, 5. Jul 19, 20:35
Thanks for the answer so far, and how are the mods for X-R ? is there a list where i can choose the most liked mods eventually ?
On nexus mods and github, there is some great stuff. Github is all direct downloads. I have my first two mods for direct download. Some mods don't work with (GOG) v4.30.

XR is my first X series. Before that, it was Nexus the Jupiter Incident. My first space game. It was amazing and simple, but crude graphics.

XR has amazing gameplay and graphics. It's got it's flaws and I fixed one(reward fix). Working on more. Some hate the info points, I love traveling around the station hunting them down. I was disappointed that transend had 100% unlocked. I stopped right away and i'm going to create a modified version to fix it. XR's hack system is terrible, a mod fix for later. The menu system takes too much time to get around. XR not perfect, but it can be fixed with mods.

Fleet management works well. There are mods to upgrade it further.

I'm not playing X4. I'm still getting used to XR. I will try it much later...

Reskal

Post by Reskal » Wed, 10. Jul 19, 03:25

Cool to hear that ppl still work on X-R.
I played X3 Reunion and i think the plot before that one, loved them, especially travellling and auomatizing stations, traders and mining ships and sell ships. And i have the same behaviour like you in that part: playing extensively a X-game until i did it all, earned it all and know it all and THEN its time to try it with mods. And then much later, another part if one is left :)
I feel like play X3. Reunion again but with that much other plots ahead it would be a waste of time some how.
For some reason i did not like X3 Terran Clonflict and im not even sure if i played X3 Albion Prelude.

AR_Starfighter

Post by AR_Starfighter » Wed, 10. Jul 19, 06:23

I've been thinking of getting X1-3 game. I'm spoiled by XR graphics, but I do play "Empire Earth gold edition". So, should I start with X1 for it's story?

Also, I have a complete list of mods I recommend. I'll post on the XR forums later. Here's some must have:

show skills
reward fix (install after you get 1 million credits) - yes, my mod. ;)
improved object menu
improved tactical display (something like that)
boarding options

RainerPrem
x4

Post by RainerPrem » Wed, 10. Jul 19, 22:32

AR_Starfighter wrote:
Wed, 10. Jul 19, 06:23
I've been thinking of getting X1-3 game. I'm spoiled by XR graphics, but I do play "Empire Earth gold edition". So, should I start with X1 for it's story?

Also, I have a complete list of mods I recommend. I'll post on the XR forums later. Here's some must have:

show skills
reward fix (install after you get 1 million credits) - yes, my mod. ;)
improved object menu
improved tactical display (something like that)
boarding options
The first X-games are rather tedious to play. I tried XBtf once. but I was already spoiled by X2 and the following ones, and didn't finish it. I still have fond memories of X2, but without the possibility to combine stations, some sectors were beehives of traffic between all your stations. X3-Reunion has a strict storyline. IIRC you are forced to use one special ship for some time in the game. OTOH there are some unique scenes during the plot. X3TC and X3AP are the climaxes of the X-Series. They are certainly worth a try even though they are a decade old.

terrangamer

Post by terrangamer » Sat, 21. Sep 19, 07:47

Dont even know after how many years I am back at "X" . Feels changed yet nostalgic at the same time

AR_Starfighter

Post by AR_Starfighter » Fri, 7. Feb 20, 06:28

I haven't been playing "x rebirth" for a long time, even with the mods and my own design fixes. Once I put them in, it was a lot more fun to play. I had many space stations, but It got too much to manage.

The fleet and station management is awkward. A ship is about to be destroyed, then you have to go through a long menu process to get them to move away. The AI needs to be smarter, know when it's time to run. Set a hull percent, No matter what your orders, the ship will run when it goes below that value or the hull percent drops too fast.

MHDriver
x4

Post by MHDriver » Sun, 16. Feb 20, 09:40

I was never interested in the X titles until X4 came along. Gave it a try and ended up playing some 2300hrs in that game so far. All in all it was fairly fun especially when I dove into the available mods which realistically pushed the amount of game time way up for me. But with that said I still view X4 like Elite Dangerous. A game with no real content, kinda the old mile wide and an inch deep type of thing. It ended up turning into a map view strategy game with very little time in the ship. That is when I decided to give XR a try. Wow what a difference in content and depth XR is over X4. Sure X4 has some nice features like being able to fly all the ships is a big one but XR never turned into a map driven game for me even with only having the skunk to fly. I've put a bunch of mods in XR now and I can use up all of my save game slots over and over again trying new approaches to things in those wide open sectors that X4 lacks. My point is XR is really the go to game for me while X4 has become just the distraction game that really isn't going to go anywhere content wise despite adding the Split as an additional faction. It will just be the same stuff, different color. Fly round and round on the highways until bored then jump into the map and herd little green icons around.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 16. Feb 20, 12:37

@ MHDriver: Please don't use an oldish X Rebirth thread just mainly to post a moan about X4 gameplay and which others have not mentioned in this thread. Thanks.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”