OS X support thread

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

rboerdijk
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by rboerdijk » Wed, 7. Oct 15, 09:45

For the resource issue
- Are you using any mods ( if so, which ones? )
- To investigate we would need your savegame. Could you compress it and mail it to "crash at egosoft dot com" ?

For the 'stuck' problem, best would be if we get a repro-case for this - it might be ui-related ( some menu keeping 'focus'), I'll forward it to our UI-developer, maybe he has some ideas.

primus2000
x4

Post by primus2000 » Wed, 7. Oct 15, 11:25

unfortunately i use some mods ,
i don't have much time so i added many mods because didn't wanna start
as a lil bird ,
and i added some money in a save game :roll:
yes i am not very patient , and i use a mod where i can build shipyards ( they need a lot of resources )
am i still in the race for a save game check ?

well i work a lot , twin kids , a wife , so i don't have a lot of time for playing
i hope my cheating work is a little forgiven
The game still is great , makes a lot of fun , and i would love when i can help .

I use nearly 10 mods , i can check when i am at home

rboerdijk
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by rboerdijk » Wed, 7. Oct 15, 12:36

Generally we avoid saves with mods because they can cause problems in various areas.

Anyway, just send us the save, we'll see wether we can (easily) load it and take a *quick* look. Not making any further promises, though.

Eriru Drourojj
x4

Post by Eriru Drourojj » Tue, 13. Oct 15, 18:40

Hi,

Not sure what's happened or which update caused it but now after upgrading to El Capitan, steams recent update and possibly the latest patch to XR, something is causing the screen to be black only showing the cursor, The startup videos play fine. edit: it is happening when i skip the intro videos but appears to load ok if left to play them, also now even on the lowest setting i cannot get FPS higher than low 20's

keep up the good work rboerdijk and Ego team
Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream, to kill him so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things!!! - Zap Brannigan

rboerdijk
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by rboerdijk » Wed, 14. Oct 15, 09:12

Hello,

I tested on my 2014 iMac with Yosemite 10.10.4, skipped the intro-vids and it runs fine.
Same test on my 2013 mbp with El Capitan 10.11 and also runs fine.

Tried also with letting the intro-movies play to the end, and beside a graphics-glitch (loading of assets), it also worked fine.

Did you try a verify of the steam-cache? Maybe some files got corrupted... ( on the other hand, than it wouldn't work either if you let the movies play to the end... hmm ) ?

To be clear, do you get <20 fps in the mainmenu ( where you select new game etc ), or do you get 20 fps ingame? Any idea how much it was before the issue started occuring ?

Does anyone else experience this issue ?

Regards,
Roger

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Wed, 14. Oct 15, 10:33

@Eriru Drourojj

Hi what gpu do you have? I'm mainly interested in the vendor (intel, nvidia or amd/ati), but the exact model would also be useful.
I'd also like you to test a few things:
1. run in windowed mode, check if you get a black screen in either case (skipping video or not)
2. try if alt+tabbing to another window and back fixes the black screen when you get it (in fullscreen mode)

Eriru Drourojj
x4

Post by Eriru Drourojj » Wed, 14. Oct 15, 18:08

Hi Timon37,

I was getting these issues while connected to a Samsung UE55JS9000 but for testing purposes I also ran the same tests with just the 15" retina display,

Alt + Tab crashes game, CMD + Tab does nothing

Nvidia GT 750M 2048GB
1080p
V-Sync - On
Distance settings - 15

Samsung - thunderbolt 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 cable
main menu fps 28 - 30

in-game location - silent night - Den 1
spinning on spot 16 fps
stationary 23 fps max

Fullscreen mode
skip intro black screen 24 secs
delay on intro vids starting 14 secs
allow intro vids to play
- white screen "loading assets"? 32 secs

Windowed
Same
no delay loading intro vids

Windowed Borderless
Same

Retina 15" display, disconnected from samsung
1440 x 900
General main menu 60 fps

in-game location - silent night - Den 1
spinning on spot 25 - 48 fps
stationary 55 fps max

Fullscreen mode
skip intro black screen 19 secs
delay on intro vids starting 14 secs
allow intro vids to play
- white screen "loading assets"? 18 secs

Windowed
Same

Windowed Borderless
Same

Hope this is useful.

Eriru
Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream, to kill him so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things!!! - Zap Brannigan

rboerdijk
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by rboerdijk » Fri, 16. Oct 15, 17:20

We will probably push out a new linux/osx version early next week. It contains many changes to the openGL code, could you try it ( when it's released ) and keep us updated on whether your issue still remains ... ?

primus2000
x4

Post by primus2000 » Thu, 22. Oct 15, 22:14

Hi there
thanks for the color update , i missed it on my mini map .
I am still playing around with my "stations won't repair " problem
i started a vanilla game , only for testing if it occures . On vanilla it is OK
Shipyards got atacked , and immedially get repaired .
I found out that the problem always appears when i use mods that let the player build shipyards or there spawn 3 shipyards for the player .

When playing with that mods
I noticed that i always was able to equip a station with builder drones , on a vanilla game that is not possible
maybe the problem comes from there .

I startet a new game only with some lil mods , worked very good for a while, but now it starts again that i find stations that are stunned , with Hulls of maybe 80 - 90 % , and they don't get repaired .
Is this part of the game or a issue ?

primus2000
x4

Post by primus2000 » Thu, 22. Oct 15, 22:24

My next thought :
i ist possible that the error appears after i finished my first station .
I just checked different stations , same song again .
The stations are stunned , won't buy any goods nor deliver anything .

rboerdijk
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by rboerdijk » Fri, 23. Oct 15, 11:58

Hi,

Thanks for your report, some ideas on narrowing it down:

1. I'd like to know if this also happens under windows - is there a possibility for you to test it ( try the "lil mods" case) ? If so, please don't use the mac-savegame, but start 'fresh', so we can rule out any problems transferring over.

Note: Even better would be to test on the mac without any mods, and do the same on windows.

2. Could you specify what 'lil mods' you are using? For example, any mods influencing the engineer could break stations.

3. When you say "but now it starts again that i find stations that are stunned", do you mean shipyards specifically - or does it happen to any station ?

4. I'd like to have a savegame ( + mods needed ) of the situation where your stations are stuck. If you send me that ( zipped please, to crash at egosoft.com ) we can take a look.

Generally, as you are aware, as long as mods are involved, it will be low on our priority list. If you can reproduce it in vanilla that will raise the priority.

/R

primus2000
x4

Post by primus2000 » Fri, 23. Oct 15, 22:08

hi and thanks for helping
to 1. just installed the game under windows , starting another test

2. tested different mods in 4 different games , but none of them twice so i cannot point on a special mod
( the only thing that just came to my mind - what if a mod that has been removed still has some traces in the game or hasn't been removed complete )

3 in my last game i haven't installed any shipyard mods because i was suspicious , it happened to all stations .
i just use these mods - they looked not that special for me i cannot imagine they go too deep into the game :
- show me your faction
- MK5 available
- NPC gain experience
- more crew
- show skills
- reveal things on this one i also was suspicious , but tested a game without this one , no difference

primus2000
x4

Post by primus2000 » Sat, 7. Nov 15, 20:56

hate to say it
under windows (Bootcamp) everything works normally , even with a lot of mods ( more than i used before)
everything works great , all factory work normally
even the big Shipyards got attacked , hull about 86 %
30 minutes later hull is 100 %
economy is normal , all goods are available

i am no windows hater or apple nerd, but have to say it clearly :
under windows the game is very touchy , i save every 10 minutes because the game freezes all the time , especially when i don't use anything and leave the computer for a few minutes .
I installed a new win 8.1
Under MAC OS i let it run over night and the complete next day when i am on work , no problem .
And under MAC i have no lags , under windows regulary i get lags after a while , i then have to close the game and restart. then it works for may 30 Minutes .

rboerdijk
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by rboerdijk » Wed, 11. Nov 15, 17:15

Did anyone have a chance to test joystick/controller support? If so, any issues? How was the default mapping - did you need to change any axis/buttons?

Haudrauf

Post by Haudrauf » Fri, 13. Nov 15, 21:00

@rboerdijk

No, nothing works. Neither my wired xbox 360 controller nor my Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas X. :(

The Thrustmaster Hotas works very well with X3 Terran Conflict.

My Specs:
X Rebirth 3.61 (200382 OSX 1B)
iMac 27" late 2013, 3,4 GHz Core i5, 16GB RAM, GTX 780M 4GB
OSX El Capitan 10.11.1

rboerdijk
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by rboerdijk » Fri, 13. Nov 15, 21:04

Thanks for the feedback,

For the xbox controller you have to have some driver installed - otherwise osx doesn't support it. I'm not behind my machine, so I can't check exactly which one I'm using ( and I tested under yosemite, upgraded my machine today to E Capitan and will retest on monday ).

Strange that there is no reaction at all from the joystick, will also retest that locally... Did anyone else get it to work ?

Haudrauf

Post by Haudrauf » Fri, 13. Nov 15, 21:08

I have installed the XBox 360 controller driver 0.15 beta 3. With this driver the x360 works fine with every game except Rebirth.

rboerdijk
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by rboerdijk » Fri, 13. Nov 15, 21:26

Hmm.. strange... "it worked on my machine" (tm). I asked the guys in the Linux forum to give it a test on that OS too ( it's the same code). Either way I'll retest this on monday.

One more question, if you go into the controller menu, does it show anything ( like "xbox controller") - or is it completely empty ?

Haudrauf

Post by Haudrauf » Fri, 13. Nov 15, 21:41

It's completely empty. No entry for the X360 or the Thrustmaster Hotas.

rboerdijk
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by rboerdijk » Sat, 14. Nov 15, 00:07

... and I assume you are running build "3.61 Build 19 (202267)" ?

Return to “X Rebirth - Technical Support”