Crash to Desktop - Fixed by <something> (It was X4 anyway)

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Low_Gravity
x4

Crash to Desktop - Fixed by <something> (It was X4 anyway)

Post by Low_Gravity » Mon, 1. Apr 19, 04:31

Version: 2.20 Eng
No mods
Start: The Unworthy Entrepreneur
Exact nature of the problem: Unsure, repeatable loading a save an hour before the crash. May have to do with the PHQ dock building quest when the dock is near completion.
No relevant changes to soft/hardware prior to the crash (vid drivers are fully updated and i can play other game playthroughs just fine, even past the PHQ questline)
No crash dump, save right before the crash: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xrm6ckwr5pnd2 ... ml.gz?dl=0
DXDiag: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tdj5smd6worg8 ... g.txt?dl=0

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Crash to Desktop

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 1. Apr 19, 13:27

Hello. For some reason the X games and ASUS Xonar sound have never played well together. At the very least, make sure that the ASUS version of EAX called GX is disabled.

I personally would try a test detailed below.

Replace that generic MicroSoft sound driver running your Realtek onboard sound chipset with Realtek HD Audio Codec R2.82 for Win7 x64 from here.
Now disable the ASUS Xonar device and driver in Device Manager, Sound/Audio Devices (right-click on a device for an enable/disable pop-up).
Now adjust cabling to use the motherboard sound output from the Realtek chipset.
See if that helps - you can always easily revert to the ASUS device if not but I would keep the Realtek driver handy for use anyway.

Good luck.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Low_Gravity
x4

Re: Crash to Desktop

Post by Low_Gravity » Tue, 2. Apr 19, 09:53

I followed your instructions and was able to play past that point, but update 2.21 was just released, so that might be what has fixed it.

Thanks for your reply.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Crash to Desktop - Fixed by <something>

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 2. Apr 19, 14:42

Heh, neither of us noticed previously that this was an X4 report although in the X Rebirth Tech Sp forum. Glad to hear it is fixed anyway.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Return to “X Rebirth - Technical Support”