Game crashes constantly with a 15hr save - Modded game

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

jelf
x4

Game crashes constantly with a 15hr save - Modded game

Post by jelf » Thu, 18. Apr 19, 21:02

Hi guys,

My latest save of 15hr of gameplay has started to crash constantly (game screen freezes with no response from any input, music keeps playing). It happens both on stations and in space, around every 10-20 minutes of gameplay. When it happens, window's task manager shows that the exe is "not responding" and the memory usage of the exe increases rapidly non-stop (e.g., normally it uses around 3-3.5G, but after freezing/crashing it could go up to more than 8G if the exe is not forced to close). A new save does not seem to have this problem (yet).

I'm using a number of mods but I didn't add/remove any mod/settings for the last 10-13hrs of gameplay and this problem has only started to occur. I understand that full support may not be provided for modded games, but would very much appreciate if any light could be shed on the issue so at least I know where I should look for.

I'm playing the latest Steam version in English, a campaign start. My system is Windows 10, i7 9700K, RTX 2080 ti and 16G ram.

Thank you!

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Game crashes constantly with a 15hr save

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 18. Apr 19, 22:57

Post or link a DxDiag and we can see if there are any obvious system issues and what your Windows error reports are.

As far as a save having issues, if it is just that one and not others then one possibility is that the save is corrupt - using an earlier save can you play past that point without issues? Otherwise we would have to suspect mods not cooperating nicely under certain game circumstances.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

jelf
x4

Re: Game crashes constantly with a 15hr save - Modded game

Post by jelf » Fri, 19. Apr 19, 06:02

Thank you for the reply.

This is the link to the dxdiag text file: https://1drv.ms/t/s!Ak-p_3HVG2xfgegGfwyGHQ1mKRNEPg
It has exceeded the character limit so I can't put it in the post directly.

Does the fact that the memory usage of the exe keeps increasing after the game has freezed/crashed allude to anything?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 19. Apr 19, 14:11

You have a generic MicroSoft sound driver for your Realtek onboard sound chipset. Get and install Realtek HD Audio Codec R2.82 from here.

Your Oculus device driver is not WHQL-approved for your OS version. Also every single one of the serious reported Windows errors in your DxDiag is for OculusAppFramework.dll. So the problem is almost certainly there. (Are you playing the XR VR version?)

The increasing memory usage could be normal if modest, or could be a memory leak from a driver or game mod if serious.

jelf
x4

Post by jelf » Fri, 19. Apr 19, 14:16

Alan Phipps wrote:
Fri, 19. Apr 19, 14:11
You have a generic MicroSoft sound driver for your Realtek onboard sound chipset. Get and install Realtek HD Audio Codec R2.82 from here.

Your Oculus device driver is not WHQL-approved for your OS version. Also every single one of the serious reported Windows errors in your DxDiag is for OculusAppFramework.dll. So the problem is almost certainly there. (Are you playing the XR VR version?)

The increasing memory usage could be normal if modest, or could be a memory leak from a driver or game mod if serious.
Thanks. I'll try to update the Realtek driver and see how it goes. Nothing like this happened to other games though.

I'm playing the normal version of X Rebirth, not the VR version. I do always have the Oculus Rift plugged onto the system though. Should I plug it off?

The increase in memory usage only happens when the game has crashed/frozen (i.e., the memory usage keeps going up if I do not force close the frozen game). If the game was running normally it wouldn't go above 4GB.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 19. Apr 19, 14:29

Yes, unplug any devices not being used as a matter of course while playing intensive games. In any case, that driver is not optimised for your system and is having those .dll issues in many applications.

Crashes/hard exits may not allow memory to be cleaned up as happen in a normal application exits. The best way to avoid this is to avoid the crashes.

jelf
x4

Post by jelf » Fri, 19. Apr 19, 16:23

Thank you for all the advice.

I've updated the audio driver to realtek/asus' (my motherboard's) version and unplugged the Oculus Rift and everything related to it. But the issue is still occurring, the game still crashes/freezes every so often. :cry:

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 19. Apr 19, 16:50

Thanks. If you don't use the Oculus device, it may be worth disabling its suspect driver too. Go into Device Manager, Sound/Audio Devices and disable any sound devices and their drivers associated with the Rift (right-click on a device in the list for an enable/disable pop-up). This is easily reversed if you want them back.

If you don't use the Rift at all, you can just uninstall all the Oculus Rift software which should remove that misbehaving OculusAppFramework.dll.

If none of this helps and you still have crashes, could you please run and link a fresh DxDiag so that I can check if these drivers and dlls have been fully removed and what your crash error reports say now? After all that we might need to start looking elsewhere - and that could well mean starting a vanilla game as a test.

BTW, you never did say if more than one modded save has the same issues or not.

jelf
x4

Post by jelf » Fri, 19. Apr 19, 23:15

I've unplugged the Oculus Rift and uninstalled the Rift's software, and it's not in the device manager anymore. But I'm not sure why it's still showing the errors regarding OculusAppFramework.dll.
This is my newest dxdiag: https://1drv.ms/t/s!Ak-p_3HVG2xfgegRIT6IAxnMBzh8Nw
And yes the problem persists.

I tried a new game, and haven't encountered this issue (yet). Older saves (~10hr) from the same playthrough also didn't seem to have this problem. But I haven't been able to play very long to test. The frequency of the crash/freeze seems to increase as I log more gameplay hours using the latest save file.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 20. Apr 19, 00:35

Yes it will take a while for new errors to replace the old ones in the list - hopefully a *long* while. :)

It could be just that last save that is corrupt (and any made from it later on) - only playing on from an earlier save until it crashes or you confirm it is OK will tell you. Nobody can check that suspect save for you because of the mods.

jelf
x4

Post by jelf » Sat, 20. Apr 19, 07:10

Thanks!

Is there a way to know what might be causing the crash? E.g., is there a log X Rebirth keeps before the crash? I've checked the debugging log but it doesn't seem to show what's causing the crash. The last entries are usually a few minutes before the crash.

Return to “X Rebirth - Technical Support”