Crash on start

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Husky306
xr

Crash on start

Post by Husky306 » Tue, 30. Jun 20, 12:58

Hello.
I got the game on GoG. It crashes on start. If I wait, I can see the intro, then it freezes the picture when I'm supposedly in menu. The sound works.

I searched for info on the problem, I tried to update my drivers and directX, I tried the sound quality trick. I tried to set resolution manually in config.xml, changing other video options, vsync, fullscreen, tried deleting the file. No good.

It's Win 7 SP1, GTX 1060 6Gb, i5-6400 2.7GHz.

Anything I could try to make the game work? I really wanna try it. And I'm afraid of getting X4 until I solve problems with this one. I've registrated the game code here, just in case. Thanks in advance for any tips.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Crash on start

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 30. Jun 20, 14:21

Without at least a link to a DxDiag, we won't be able to help you very effectively.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Husky306
xr

Post by Husky306 » Tue, 30. Jun 20, 15:12

That's a lot of data compromising the PC safety. Would you like me to send you the txt file via email? Or is there a specific tab you need?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 30. Jun 20, 17:27

No, it doesn't compromise PC safety or security to post a link to a DxDiag - see CBJ's post here. You can edit out the system name you gave it in the DxDiag text after you have saved it, if you wish.

Husky306
xr

Post by Husky306 » Tue, 30. Jun 20, 19:26

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 30. Jun 20, 23:13

Thanks. I know that your OS is Win7 but check that your sound and graphics device drivers are the latest WHQL versions for Win7 on the device manufacturers' update sites. Some of your drivers are 2015/16 or older.

Decide which updated sound device/driver you want to use (SB or Realtek), and disable the one you don't use in Control Panel, Sound/Audio Devices (right-click on a device for an enable/disable pop-up).

Unfortunately Win7 does not have error reporting included in the DxDiag. See of there are any error messages directly related to X Rebirth and your crashes in EventViewer (see this FAQ and this FAQ).

Have you verified your game installation since the crashes started?

Husky306
xr

Post by Husky306 » Wed, 1. Jul 20, 00:33

Oh yeah, sorry, I should have uploaded the crash file too. I noticed the game creates them every time. Here is the latest dmp file.
https://filebin.net/yxpezt6ptq1vulzn
I hope you could at least tell me what the problem is after looking at it. To not reinstall everything just for one game. Anything that could be turned off? Since X3 does work fine. It's something new. And I can live without ultra-fancy graphics, if the problem is caused by some unusual effects.

I'm not sure what you mean by verifying. I don't have an option to check the files, I reinstalled it though, once.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 1. Jul 20, 09:09

GOG has a game installation verification tool. In the GOG Galaxy client click on X Rebirth, click on MORE, select Manage installation, and click on Verify / Repair.

Unfortunately I'm a player/moderator and not a dev and I cannot read dumpfiles (let's hope a dev sees it), but I can understand most related Windows error reports (as in the FAQ I posted) linked to a game in Event Viewer.

Husky306
xr

Post by Husky306 » Wed, 1. Jul 20, 12:20

I buy games on GoG to avoid launchers and DRM. So I can't repair files via Galaxy. I'm sure if the effort spent on DRM went into the game compatibility, it would give more profit. See, XR not working for me and X4 demanding registration are two big points preventing me from buying X4. And judging by the price, the very idea was to lead fans through older games to this one, polished and pleasant. AAA product for AAA price. I love TC, I have no problem staying there forever. And the price was great, so I don't think I'd refund. I'd just consider Rebirth price a donation to the company I respect. But if Rebirth won't start for me, my faith in Egosoft would shake. So it's not as much me being entertained but a test of the big company. Good old games vs bad new corporations. :D "By gamers for gamers" (c) Interplay vs "milk and run" (c) EA.

Thank you for helping. Let me know if you find out where the problem is. I'll try getting the latest sound drivers. I'll inform you if anything works.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 1. Jul 20, 16:31

I'll let you know if anything further occurs to me but the fact that X Rebirth is not starting on your specific system/set-up and that you then choose not to help further investigate or use the available fault-finding tools is hardly a valid reason for shaking your faith in Egosoft. :wink:

Good luck anyway.

Return to “X Rebirth - Technical Support”