Sound Problems with Pimax

Feedback and information for X Rebirth VR Edition

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Looking4

Sound Problems with Pimax

Post by Looking4 » Tue, 23. Aug 22, 00:32

I have a problem with sound on my Pimax 8kx. First I thought I have no engine and afterburner sound. But I was wrong, I can hear the engine sound when I am looking behind. Sadly only when I am looking backwards.

The Pimax 8kx must be set to 7.1 surround in Windows system settings. I tried to go back to stereo, but if I do so, I can't hear any sound. I also tried starting parameter '-soundsystem 5.1' in steam for X Rebirth VR, but it doesn't change anything.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Sound Problems with Pimax

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 23. Aug 22, 10:00

That sounds as though the effects sound channel routing is not correctly set up for your front speakers. If it were then selecting stereo layout would use only those those speakers for all channels unless you also use the 'fill speakers' option to add additional depth. Without knowing much about your sound system, it could be as simple as a misconnection issue for your sound plugs and sockets, or it could be a wireless/software channel set-up issue. Maybe a thorough check of the channel routing for the device might assist.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Looking4

Post by Looking4 » Tue, 23. Aug 22, 14:42

Dear Alan, thanks for your answer.

I'm thinking channel routing isn't correct, too. Pimax 8kx DMAS (latest revision) registers an own sound device. It must be configured as 7.1 surround device in order to get sound. With this option set, It seems all sounds in X Rebirth VR set correct for all speakers. But they are only played, when I look at the 'virtual' speaker where they are meant to be played. But they aren't mixed up together. So I couldn't here all sounds coming from different directions and they would only get louder depending on what speaker I'm looking at. I know an issue with Pimax 8kx and 7.1 surround settings from Dirt Rally 2.0. I can't hear my copilot. When I disable the center speaker for Pimax 7.1 surround device all sound are fine. I tested X Rebirth VR with and without center speaker, but it doesn't matter.

For testing I changed my sound device to my Logitech 5.1 speakers. Here's the same, only the speaker I'm looking at is playing sound!

How can I check channel routing like you mentioned? I found a post where someone set launch parameter '-soundsystem stereo'. I'm going to test these parameter too.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 23. Aug 22, 16:53

That has to be a sound set-up issue with the VR device and its driver as only that device can tell your system where you happen to be looking. From what you say, it isn't enabling surround or multi-channel sound at all, but just a selected speaker enable depending on where you look. Sorry I cannot help more but I have neither VR nor your sound device.

Afterthought: Does your sound device have a dynamic fader/balancing control? It may be that the fader is only allowing sufficient volume in the speaker being looked at. (This could all be nonsense too! :D )

Looking4

Post by Looking4 » Tue, 23. Aug 22, 21:15

Got it, the startup parameter '-soundsystem stereo' solved the problem for the Pimax 8kx DMAS (2076). (Windows settings for Pimax still at 7.1 surround.)

Sound is now as expected. It comes from all directions and is getting louder when looking towards the source. :D

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 23. Aug 22, 21:26

Good to hear and I'll make sure that this workaround gets lodged somewhere as a tip for future users. Enjoy the game.

Return to “X Rebirth VR Edition”