A message to the Egosoft Devs.

Feedback and information for X Rebirth VR Edition

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

dertien
x2

A message to the Egosoft Devs.

Post by dertien » Sun, 5. Dec 21, 15:21

I know you guys (and gals) are busy with the new DLC for x4 (which I will purchase as well) but i have a couple of small requests that X-Rebirth VR edition still needs doing, and frankly something to make this game complete. These are additions that for you folks would not take weeks to rectify. Probably a few hours would be needed, if that ... Please.

- 1) There is still no external front spotlight on the skunk like there is one in regular X-Rebirth. I would love to see this implemented in the VR version as well. Meaning if you fly close to stations, and especially the darker areas I would love to see what's written on the wall there, that flashlight on the skunk is sorely missed.

-2) I Recalled the first Adventurer cockpit, and personally fly just with that one, because it gives you a sense of 'being there'. I think that the cockpits in X-Rebirth are superior to even X4, X2 and X3, because the screens are not just eye candy or data gibberrish. The screens are functional and interactive. VR HMD's and GPU's have improved and although I never had any troubles running the original cockpit in VR when the game was released, it would be nice to have the 'rotating side monitor' as well on the original Adventurer cockpit. I mean the slide out monitor on the right hand side, which slides out and then rotates a few degrees to give you a better view without needing to dislocate your neck vertebrae in the other cockpits.

-3) I know she can be a pain in the ass, but in a cockpit with 2 seats, Yisha or her sister needs to come back. The cockpit feels 'empty' without her.

Voila, that should be about it I think.

I hope at some point that this gets solved and we can finally have an X-Rebirth VR that is on par with its original.

Bruddel
x4

Re: A message to the Egosoft Devs.

Post by Bruddel » Mon, 6. Dec 21, 13:02

Well,
i would not hang hopes high, that Egosoft spent time, for features or bugfixing.
a look in the steam statistics show that x Rebirth VR Edition is played:

Month Avg. Players Gain % Gain Peak Players
Last 30 Days 1.4 +0.0 +2.50% 7
August 2021 1.4 +0.4 +41.59% 7
June 2021 1.0 ‑0.4 ‑27.06% 5

Compared with X4
Last 30 Days 1,441.2 +62.1 +4.51% 2,977
November 2021 1,379.0 +48.8 +3.67% 2,977
October 2021 1,330.2 ‑96.0 ‑6.73% 2,250

Compared with SkyrimVR (which is quit popular, also tons of mods and stuff)
Last 30 Days 275.0 +14.5 +5.55% 591
November 2021 260.6 +43.0 +19.75% 591
October 2021 217.6 ‑34.6 ‑13.71% 404

so:
i cant imagining that a small company have the ressources, to invest time in a game thats nobody play, equal nobody will buy ....

that said,
i would love to see that Egosoft could invest time, fixing bugs bringing features like you mentioned.

Leads: to have a revenue out of this, the need to:
- update to the newer Controllers,
- fixing quit a bit of bugs
- new features (DLC) for advertisment to make people buy

So i guess we have to live as X Rebirth VR is ....
or some talent modders catching some interested and bringing the game back to live ^^ maybe a more beginner friendly toolkit could help.. idk

add:
unfortunable, the forumsoftware allows not spacing, so statistic looks a bit clamped

dertien
x2

Post by dertien » Tue, 7. Dec 21, 00:45

Well,

I know that Egosoft spent time (a few years after the release of one of the X3 games - I don't remember if it's Reunion, Terran Conflict or Albion Prelude) to fix a number of bugs that were still there in one of these three.

- I have to say, that having played both extensively, I find XR-VR to be the one that has almost no CTD behaviour.
- most of the bugs are not game breaking (like when you order your capital ships to go and buy goods and they just sit there, only to move when you give them the order to 'join your squad'). It should not be, but it doesn't really impede gameplay once you know how to circumvent it.

- Controller wise I would say everything works as it should in VR. Let's face it it doesn't matter if you have the VIVE or the Oculus controllers, If you have a joystick and a hotas, you don't use them.

I play X-plane 11 and DCS, there is no way that I will use the Oculus or Vive wands to play this, and X-Rebirth works very well with even the more exotic controllers I have.

I can only sent the message out that some of the bugs or things that were left out were done so because of VR being a 'testbed'. It might still be for people who play 'on screen' but for me and a great number of others, 'screen' is good for games that are supposed to be played on screen: Duskers and Starsector for example come to mind as 'screen games'. I for example would not want to go back to DCS or X-Plane 11 'on screen'. That would be like using a stone instead of a knife to cut your veggies.

Like I said, I just hope at some point when X4 is 'done' they would do what they have done for previous iterations of the franchise, and polish this one up also.

Unlike what they think It is far from 'dead', since no VR game comes close to this as they are all 'services' and 'non mod friendly'

brotherofbuff
xrvr

Post by brotherofbuff » Tue, 7. Dec 21, 04:41

Your probably gonna get more out of the mod community than the developers at this point. I just started playing it and there are tons of mods that make up for those issues. Only thing I wish I could find is more support on how to make mods compatible since im not some modder so some of it is unclear.

Also if we can somehow fix Yisha not being there. Its probably too advance for modders. But it looks like most of them went on to X4. Sucks cause this is my favorite X game i played so far. I waited many years to play X Rebirth and someone on the Oculus fb community turn me on to this gem.

dertien
x2

Post by dertien » Tue, 7. Dec 21, 11:28

A lot of mods for X-Rebirth are compatible with X-Rebirth VR.

Here is my list of mods that I am using in VR:

in windows: go into your folder using the CMD prompt and in the folder type:

Code: Select all

dir /b /on>MyFileList.txt
this gives you a list in a txt file.

_addonship_lyranea_ct
13_arawn_ct
13_halmekron
13_lyramekron_mk2
13_lyranea_ct
13_lyranea_xxl
13_mandorel
13_sanahar_mk2
13_scaldis_ct
13_velmekron
alexalsp_add_new_gate
alexalsp_big_rock_tot
alexalsp_bss
alexalsp_cargo_dron_plus
alexalsp_dua-renegat_mine-more
alexalsp_emy_tobs
alexalsp_ice_dev_barren_heart
alexalsp_m_s_ship_class
alexalsp_ya_crewfixonfired
angel618_molten archon adequate
artefacts_maps
asteroid_with_nividium
autocrew
AutoLooter
automated_emergency_jump
autotrain
BKUniversalCommMenu
Boarding Options
boardingtargetprotector
BuildinMaelstrom
Carriers - Arawn SM Launch- and Docking
cf.mission_computer
CombatRankBailout
completestationunlock
craftvirtualseminars
DockShipTraderFix
doshortcut
ego_dlc_2
ego_dlc_teladi_outpost
ego_vr
eightball_privateer
emy_bps
emy_cht
emy_dvbu
emy_gmsc
enemy_give_missions
excuse_Friendly_Fire
extensions2.7z
extinguished_hope
extra_notifications
fake ids
fasterships
fblb
Fight Reloaded
fighterrepair
format_thousands
FuelCellPatch
Herschels_Gift
HighwayClearVFX
hijack
HS_InitiateSmalltalk
Improved Vanilla Clusters
ImprovedMissions
infiniteboost
InfoDisable
kitfix
lesshighwaytraffic
libmj
litauen_betty_plus
litauen_boarding_plus
litauen_capital_ship_bridge
lmrs
lostsectors
ls_bridge_pos
Map Reveal
marine_empowerment
mej_highway_jump
mej_improved_object_menu
mej_tacmap_vanillacommands
mej_tacticalmap
menu_transaction_patch
mercenary
mis_hotengines
mm_advcom
mm_cruiseship
mm_defenceplatform
mm_docks
mm_haas
mm_pimpmyride
mm_pluvoy
mm_realestate
mm_safezone
mm_techservice
mm_tradenetwork
mods_options_menu
more_enhanced_money_transfer
MoreMissilesMod
move_murky_skies_distillery
mt_xrcls
MyFileList.txt
navpath fix
nf_a-master
no_siren
NoHighwayMusic
NoMore
NoSteeringModeNotification
npcsgainxp
paladindestroyer
Pimp_My_Skunk
pirat_mod
profitability_index
protectstationrewardfix
RahanasHybrid
RahanasHybridPlus
Recall_Clearskies
Recall_CockpitMk1
Recall_GamestartHoL
Recall_GamestartsVanilla
Recall_GamestartTO
Recall_LowMassTraffic
Recall_NoStardust
Recall_OpenDoors
Recall_SkunkEngines
Recall_WeaponLoadouts
Remote_Call_Crew_Cockpit
remove_tips_from_the_log
RemoveBoardingCutscene
repair_docks_for_capship_mod
revealthingz
RS_Stars
sensible miners
shiprecycle
shipyards_comm
shortname_generator
Show Skills
sidebarextender
simooms_galactic_dress_code
SmallSunDV
station_push_wares
strudo76_blackmarket_seminars
Tefara Free Trade
terrandeca
terrankyoto
terranosaka
TradeMenuCargoHoldFilter
trader_menu_fix
Treasure Chest
UI detailM Fix
utboardingtargetprotector
vacana
w.e_betterautoaim
w.e_stationengineers
w.e_TradeRelations
weaponplatform
XR_Nebulas
XR_Planets
xrvr_avoidfoo
xrvr_do_not_follow_me
xrvr_longjumps
xrvr_no_killtarget_in_xenonspace
xrvr_quick_platforms_populate
xrvr_skunkengineer
xrvr_warehouseminersfix
yat2
YorrickAIGalaxyTrade
yorricksyisha
youngfemales

These turn X-Rebirth into a different game altogether.

I have optimized a few mods for VR recently (mainly Lostsectors) by diminishing the absurd amount of crystals found in one of its sectors. I am also looking at doing the same for the amount of asteroids. These can cause real drops in FPS when playing in VR. The rest of the mods seem to behave normally.

Since a big part of the modding community moved on to X4, I was also planning on bundling up this collection in 1 file - a one stop megamod collection so to speak in order to make the VR version a little less daunting to get into and alleviate the necessity of downloading all of them separately and reduce the time to just a few minutes instead of a couple of days to see what's compatible with what.

Getting all the credits from all the individual modders on one page and finding the original thread will probably be the biggest time consuming endeavour.

at the moment the filesize of the above collection (extensions-VR.7z) is 2.2 Gigabytes.

CWIR (conquest war in rebirth) in VR is also something I would like to look into and add all the latest ships (mine and others) that didn't make it in that mod into the jobs and shipyard files. New Frontier is built up differently ship-wise, so that's a bit above my hat.

Bruddel
x4

Post by Bruddel » Tue, 7. Dec 21, 14:31

dertien wrote:
Tue, 7. Dec 21, 00:45
Well,

I know that Egosoft spent time ....
- most of the bugs are not game breaking ....
...I play X-plane 11 and DCS, there is no way that I will use the Oculus or Vive wands to play this, and X-Rebirth works very well with even the more exotic controllers I have.
you are right,
most of the bugs are not gamebreaking, the joy which comes with playing X Rebirth in VR, lets easy overlook the issues.
For X Rebirth in general is my choice the Gamepad, It really well supported. drop the support for VR Controllers... (just for me, but there are other people they may see it different :-) )
I can only sent the message out that some of the bugs or things that were left out were done so because of VR being a 'testbed'. It might still be for people who play 'on screen' but for me and a great number of others, 'screen' is good for games that are supposed to be played on screen: Duskers and Starsector for example come to mind as 'screen games'. I for example would not want to go back to DCS or X-Plane 11 'on screen'. That would be like using a stone instead of a knife to cut your veggies.

Like I said, I just hope at some point when X4 is 'done' they would do what they have done for previous iterations of the franchise, and polish this one up also.

Unlike what they think It is far from 'dead', since no VR game comes close to this as they are all 'services' and 'non mod friendly'
Yes there are good points. And let me add another points:

here we go
My message to the Egosoft Devs.
First:
X4 Foundations: covers the newest Versions of the X Universe
X Rebirth VR Edition: covers the VR Version of the X Universe, right ?
so
the maintaining of both Version could pay out in the longrun, cause Egosoft have VR and "Standart" in Portfolio ...
(not the best argument, but here we go)

Second:
Fixing the bugs, should be not be a marketing decision, it should be a presentation of solid work.
(sounds more harsh then itended, cause Egosoft did and do this really well, but there are some leftovers ^^)

Third:
the way to go:
- ask about the bug whichs occours in the forum (so people see, that you care)
- fix what you could do and bring a patch till End of January
- Bernd could use this action in the Interviews about x4 new DLC with a side note, that the VR Version was recently updated (i wouldnt drop such a oppertunity, to generate sales, would you ? :-) )

So there we go.. a small investion in work (hopefully), people playing VR, get some attention, so free (side) marketing could be used ... the opertunity is there.

the point of view could be easily shifted from.
makes no sence to saddle a dead horse ... "steam statistics"
to
the horse is still alive, and get the needed medical attention. :-)

you make a good point, Dertien
I can only sent the message out that some of the bugs or things that were left out...
cheers

dertien
x2

Post by dertien » Tue, 7. Dec 21, 15:19

Bruddel wrote:
Tue, 7. Dec 21, 14:31
First:
X4 Foundations: covers the newest Versions of the X Universe
X Rebirth VR Edition: covers the VR Version of the X Universe, right ?
so
the maintaining of both Version could pay out in the longrun, cause Egosoft have VR and "Standart" in Portfolio ...
(not the best argument, but here we go)
Other popular total conversions (already made in other X-games) could be brought to the VR scene - Even older ships for example have found their place in XR and XRVR (the Argon Nova, and recently the Argon capital ships by SIr Francis Drake), some were also ported by KrYcHokE, the modder who gave us lost sectors...

at the moment it is the ONLY moddable VR sandbox spacegame of this magnitude. Yes there is newer and other, but not like this.

Besides, One could (if the multiple ship thing ever gets completely done) convert the old X-tended Terran Conflict mod and its stations to X-Rebirth. Some of the old solar arrays already made it into Lost Sectors.
Bruddel wrote:
Second:
Fixing the bugs, should be not be a marketing decision, it should be a presentation of solid work.
(sounds more harsh then itended, cause Egosoft did and do this really well, but there are some leftovers ^^)
I agree on both accounts. Ego have been pretty solid with their previous patchwork way after the release of X-Rebirth - like mentioned above.

Bruddel wrote:
Third:
the way to go:
- ask about the bug whichs occours in the forum (so people see, that you care)
- fix what you could do and bring a patch till End of January
- Bernd could use this action in the Interviews about x4 new DLC with a side note, that the VR Version was recently updated (i wouldnt drop such a oppertunity, to generate sales, would you ? :-) )

So there we go.. a small investion in work (hopefully), people playing VR, get some attention, so free (side) marketing could be used ... the opertunity is there.

the point of view could be easily shifted from.
makes no sence to saddle a dead horse ... "steam statistics"
to
the horse is still alive, and get the needed medical attention. :-)
Yes a patch would be a nice new year present.

Return to “X Rebirth VR Edition”