Removed from: ELI5 defense drones

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Removed from: ELI5 defense drones

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 13. Aug 22, 13:51

"14 defense and 14 repair [drones]" is not a vanilla loadout for an M ship such as the Osprey as they can only hold 17 in total. Most M ships can hold less even than that.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

dtpsprt
x4

Re: Seriously, ELI5 defense drones

Post by dtpsprt » Sat, 13. Aug 22, 16:22

Alan Phipps wrote:
Sat, 13. Aug 22, 13:51
"14 defense and 14 repair [drones]" is not a vanilla loadout for an M ship such as the Osprey as they can only hold 17 in total. Most M ships can hold less even than that.
It can be with the right ship modification...

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 13. Aug 22, 17:03

Ah, a cunning if unlikely choice of mod benefit in the circumstances. :D

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Sat, 13. Aug 22, 17:45

Nope, at least that's not a vanilla ship mod. There are precisely 2 chassis mods which can increase drone capacity:
(1) basic Garage mod which adds up to +4 drone capacity
(2) advanced Lubricator, a drag reduction mod with 2 random secondary functions which essentially mimic the effects of basic mods, such as Garage, so potentially adding +4 drone capacity (incidentally Lubricator's one of my favourite mods - it's very versatile)
There's nothing I'm aware of in the vanilla game which can add +11 to drone capacity.

user1679

Post by user1679 » Sun, 14. Aug 22, 02:19

Alan Phipps wrote:
Sat, 13. Aug 22, 13:51
I use VRO (don't recall saying vanilla):
https://sites.google.com/view/vrowiki/ships-changes

Capacities for deployables is decreased.
Drone and missile storage are different for all ships.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 14. Aug 22, 09:35

Right, which is why in principle this forum is for discussing vanilla gameplay as otherwise you just confuse players as to why they can't do what you say you do and wonder what vanilla options they have missed.

user1679

Post by user1679 » Mon, 15. Aug 22, 03:10

Alan Phipps wrote:
Sun, 14. Aug 22, 09:35
Right, which is why in principle this forum is for discussing vanilla gameplay as otherwise you just confuse players as to why they can't do what you say you do and wonder what vanilla options they have missed.
Players know this game supports mods. If they read this thread and wonder why my version of the ship can use extra drones, I would think they would
be able to recognize this ship must be modded.

Also, Why would a game that supports modding not allow general discussion about modded games? I could understand not providing tech. support but
that's not the forum I posted in.

Finally, VRO does not change the AI so the concepts of the original post still stand. The AI does not function well for drone ships.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Mon, 15. Aug 22, 09:06

Why do you assume everyone on this forum knows all about mods, and about the game in general? If you pay attention to the various topics, you'll see that there are a lot of new players who may not understand what you're talking about. As for general discussions about modded games, there's a whole forum devoted to them. Vanilla and modded games are separated to limit confusion, which you'll note that your discussion already caused a bit of. So in the future, please limit discussion of modded games to the proper forum. We all thank you for your consideration.
user1679 wrote:
Mon, 15. Aug 22, 03:10
Finally, VRO does not change the AI so the concepts of the original post still stand. The AI does not function well for drone ships.
Which is why this thread is still open. But please, no more discussion of mods here.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

user1679

Post by user1679 » Tue, 16. Aug 22, 05:45

Nanook wrote:
Mon, 15. Aug 22, 09:06
Why do you assume everyone on this forum knows all about mods, and about the game in general?
Why do you assume they don't? It's quite obvious from the forums and the fact there is an extensions menu option that
the game is moddable. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt.

Nanook wrote:
So in the future, please limit discussion of modded games to the proper forum

Actually, this is the proper forum. The only other option is the "scripts and modding" forum but the description of that says "The place to discuss
scripting and game modifications" of which this thread is neither, I am not looking for help writing a script or mod in this thread, nor am I
discussing a bug with a particular mod.

Nanook wrote:
Which is why this thread is still open. But please, no more discussion of mods here.

With all due respect, I think you guys are taking this way out of context.

My original post was about the AI. I even quoted code from the base game. Nowhere in this thread was it about a mod or modded game.

There was no confusion as you state because the person who brought up the 14/14 drone discrepancy was in fact another moderator, who I
would expect should know the game is moddable. I only mentioned VRO to clarify that question but the discussion in this thread is not about
mods or modded games.

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Tue, 16. Aug 22, 09:17

user1679 wrote:
Mon, 15. Aug 22, 03:10
Alan Phipps wrote:
Sun, 14. Aug 22, 09:35
Players know this game supports mods. If they read this thread and wonder why my version of the ship can use extra drones, I would think they would
be able to recognize this ship must be modded.

Also, Why would a game that supports modding not allow general discussion about modded games? I could understand not providing tech. support but
that's not the forum I posted in.

There is a separate Forum called Modding Community, where you may even find answers from the mod developer him/herself...

Unfortunately, with the distinction (brought in X4) between "vanilla" and "modified" games @Alan Phipps is right. Don't forget the "in principle" part of his post...

As far as the AI is concerned, it has so many faults that this could be considered a "minor" one!!! Unfortunately you can not take the AI issue in the Technical Suppor Forum using a "modified" game as the "standard" (and usually right) answer would be that most probably it is a problem with the mods you are using and you should discuss it with the people that created them!!!

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Removed from: ELI5 defense drones

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 16. Aug 22, 09:24

Since this has become way off the thread topic and demonstrates exactly how and why discussion of modded gameplay here confuses and derails topic discussions, I'll split and lock this part.

Return to “X4: Foundations”