About Terraforming (General info + concrete preconditions)

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

BigBANGtheory
x4

Re: About Terraforming (General info + concrete preconditions)

Post by BigBANGtheory » Sun, 14. Mar 21, 09:04

I like the idea of being able to train pilots as a reward for Terraforming, I guess sort of like setting up a Top Gun college somewhere. That would be genuinely useful particularly for those with modified games.

Repli
x4

Post by Repli » Sun, 14. Mar 21, 09:18

BigBANGtheory wrote:
Sun, 14. Mar 21, 09:04
I like the idea of being able to train pilots as a reward for Terraforming, I guess sort of like setting up a Top Gun college somewhere. That would be genuinely useful particularly for those with modified games.
Hey!
Maybe I misunderstand you, but this is already possible as "reward" for terraforming :)

MHDriver
x4

Post by MHDriver » Sun, 14. Mar 21, 20:31

So my impression as an EndGamer is I like the activity as something new a bit like Planetary Interaction in Eve Online. First couple of projects went fine, a bit tedious compared to P.I. and then, well the Atiya's Misfortune project is just pointless in my view. I lost interest after a few days of it just starting over and over and over. No point, no reward worth the drudgery of that project. I can say after finishing two and attempting the last that I am unlikely to engage in the activity any further. Not interesting enough to keep at it.

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Tue, 16. Mar 21, 16:18

MHDriver wrote:
Sun, 14. Mar 21, 20:31
So my impression as an EndGamer is I like the activity as something new a bit like Planetary Interaction in Eve Online. First couple of projects went fine, a bit tedious compared to P.I. and then, well the Atiya's Misfortune project is just pointless in my view. I lost interest after a few days of it just starting over and over and over. No point, no reward worth the drudgery of that project. I can say after finishing two and attempting the last that I am unlikely to engage in the activity any further. Not interesting enough to keep at it.
I see it as more of a role playing feature (As in I take over the sector and am now building up an empire so to speak). However, having more people on the planet does benefit you with bonuses to getting workers on your stations. Also, I am not so sure about some of the terraforming options, they seem to give some kind of bonuses but I am not sure how they work.

StoneLegionYT
x4

Post by StoneLegionYT » Fri, 19. Mar 21, 01:33

EmperorDragon wrote:
Fri, 29. Jan 21, 14:53
Reduced Xenon activity - I want the opposite. I am actually trying to coax them into building up their numbers and attack me. Still a viable reward I suppose.
This what I want also... By the time you Terraform their no longer a threat anyways... I rather create a thread I mean is that not
Spoiler
Show
actually how the Xenon were born?

Mr.Killer
x4

Post by Mr.Killer » Fri, 19. Mar 21, 15:48

EGOSOFT! Did you really had to deplete the so hard gathered resources to make another jump with our headquarters? Really? Serious?
Did you not find it more pressing that the build order of newly to-be-build stations needs a move up or down button???
Or if resources are scarce, some sort of grow it locally? (If science fiction can move a zillion ton weighing station to the other end of the galaxy without problems, how hard is it to make such things up?)

A disappointment here folks..... You seen how hard it is for ships to cross 'the void' ? No way I can order all ships to avoid this area, so, there goes another easy possibility to gain material to our HQ.

Thanks Egosoft..... you made my day, again......
Ps. Computers can make errors, they are made and programmed by error-making humans. :D

StoneLegionYT
x4

Post by StoneLegionYT » Fri, 19. Mar 21, 17:09

Mr.Killer wrote:
Fri, 19. Mar 21, 15:48
EGOSOFT! Did you really had to deplete the so hard gathered resources to make another jump with our headquarters? Really? Serious?
Did you not find it more pressing that the build order of newly to-be-build stations needs a move up or down button???
Or if resources are scarce, some sort of grow it locally? (If science fiction can move a zillion ton weighing station to the other end of the galaxy without problems, how hard is it to make such things up?)

A disappointment here folks..... You seen how hard it is for ships to cross 'the void' ? No way I can order all ships to avoid this area, so, there goes another easy possibility to gain material to our HQ.

Thanks Egosoft..... you made my day, again......
:lol: :lol: :lol:

MHDriver
x4

Post by MHDriver » Fri, 19. Mar 21, 22:37

BlackRain wrote:
Tue, 16. Mar 21, 16:18
MHDriver wrote:
I see it as more of a role playing feature (As in I take over the sector and am now building up an empire so to speak). However, having more people on the planet does benefit you with bonuses to getting workers on your stations. Also, I am not so sure about some of the terraforming options, they seem to give some kind of bonuses but I am not sure how they work.
Yes role play may very well be the key. I however am far too old to role play anything at this point and really look for engaging activities that provide a sense of gain or accomplishment, not "grind" or "tedium."

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Fri, 19. Mar 21, 23:06

MHDriver wrote:
Fri, 19. Mar 21, 22:37
BlackRain wrote:
MHDriver wrote:
Yes role play may very well be the key. I however am far too old to role play anything at this point and really look for engaging activities that provide a sense of gain or accomplishment, not "grind" or "tedium."
lol, how old are you? Because I am not that young.

MHDriver
x4

Post by MHDriver » Fri, 19. Mar 21, 23:59

BlackRain wrote:
Fri, 19. Mar 21, 23:06
MHDriver wrote:
Fri, 19. Mar 21, 22:37
BlackRain wrote:

lol, how old are you? Because I am not that young.
Let's just say + 6 decades and counting

Miravlix
x4

Post by Miravlix » Sat, 20. Mar 21, 15:35

MHDriver wrote:
Fri, 19. Mar 21, 23:59
You do now that no matter how you look at it, just playing a lot of games is roleplaying, you can't play X4 without roleplaying.

I guess you can play tic-tac-toe without roleplaying, but even monopoly and chess is roleplaying.

MHDriver
x4

Post by MHDriver » Sun, 21. Mar 21, 00:23

Miravlix wrote:
Sat, 20. Mar 21, 15:35
MHDriver wrote:
Fri, 19. Mar 21, 23:59
You do now that no matter how you look at it, just playing a lot of games is roleplaying, you can't play X4 without roleplaying.

I guess you can play tic-tac-toe without roleplaying, but even monopoly and chess is roleplaying.
Perhaps for some but depending on who you are and what your profession is IRL may translate directly to what you do in a game. For example a professional pilot IRL can be the same in a game without roleplay, It is no different than training in a simulator, you just trade the level of sophistication of the equipment.

PhilRae
x2

Post by PhilRae » Sun, 21. Mar 21, 21:33

I am doing the "Show of Support" Terraforming mission in Black Hole Sun. Got to the stage of 'Build: Wheat Fields', built a couple of wheat farms on my HQ and separately in Black Hole Sun, but the stage won't complete... what am I doing wrong?

Repli
x4

Post by Repli » Mon, 22. Mar 21, 07:10

PhilRae wrote:
Sun, 21. Mar 21, 21:33
I am doing the "Show of Support" Terraforming mission in Black Hole Sun. Got to the stage of 'Build: Wheat Fields', built a couple of wheat farms on my HQ and separately in Black Hole Sun, but the stage won't complete... what am I doing wrong?
Hey,
you have to build it on the planet, not in space :) Have you found the terraforming menu in the top of the screen next to map, ship interaction and so on?

paraskous
x4

Post by paraskous » Thu, 25. Mar 21, 14:56

I wouldn't know how to start. I finished the story missions but there is no terraforming thing anywhere. Not that I'm particularly lined up for massive deliveries yet.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Thu, 25. Mar 21, 21:40

What you need to do to start terraforming is explained in the spoiler text at the bottom of the opening post of this thread.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Knjaz136

Post by Knjaz136 » Wed, 31. Mar 21, 20:40

Are there any way to get missions for helping Terran with Terraforming? I only see ANT, ARG, SCA, TEL, none of which is a viable option.

My character is Terran through and through, it's completely ooRP for him to help Argon or Antigone get habitable world , whom he considers runaways from human race and potential adversaries of his homeland when the fight for resources will inevitably come, as Terrans won't be able to sit in Solar system forever if they are to keep up with Xeno races. Especially when he spent so much effort helping Split facitons so they will start to pose bigger threat to Argon and thus push them closer to the influence of Terra.
Same goes for Xenos races.

(the terraforming tech is not based on sentient AI, afaik, so i t's not ooRP to engage in terraforming in first place. Plus, it's entirely different matter of "giving it a chance, but more carefully and with failsafes this time")

And since when Getsu Funa is ANT space in Cradle of Humanity?
https://puu.sh/Huddq/a572bdead6.png

Wraith_Magus
x3tc

Post by Wraith_Magus » Thu, 1. Apr 21, 00:44

Knjaz136 wrote:
Wed, 31. Mar 21, 20:40
Are there any way to get missions for helping Terran with Terraforming? I only see ANT, ARG, SCA, TEL, none of which is a viable option.

My character is Terran through and through, it's completely ooRP for him to help Argon or Antigone get habitable world , whom he considers runaways from human race and potential adversaries of his homeland when the fight for resources will inevitably come, as Terrans won't be able to sit in Solar system forever if they are to keep up with Xeno races. Especially when he spent so much effort helping Split facitons so they will start to pose bigger threat to Argon and thus push them closer to the influence of Terra.
Same goes for Xenos races.

(the terraforming tech is not based on sentient AI, afaik, so i t's not ooRP to engage in terraforming in first place. Plus, it's entirely different matter of "giving it a chance, but more carefully and with failsafes this time")

And since when Getsu Funa is ANT space in Cradle of Humanity?
https://puu.sh/Huddq/a572bdead6.png
Since Antigone built a defense station there first in your game, and so claimed the sector, that's when.

Also, if you're playing "Terran through-and-through", then obviously, you should start the war against Argon, and then, if no terraforming missions are available, help the Paranids and screw over the Argon. The Terrans in lore are apparently happy to work with xeno races, so long as they aren't other humans, which the Terrans hate. (Terrans really have some screws lose.)

That said, considering that you didn't realize that sectors can change ownership, maybe it's just that the Terrans don't have any sectors with terraformable planets (is there any reason why they have terraforming technology, but never terraform Mars, again?), so you should help rectify that? Look for sectors where there are terraforming missions available, and see if the Terrans have any defense stations there. If they do, blow up all other race's defense stations, and it will become a Terran sector. Then, look and see if there are offers to terraform that planet.

Knjaz136

Post by Knjaz136 » Thu, 1. Apr 21, 13:32

Wraith_Magus wrote:
Thu, 1. Apr 21, 00:44
Since Antigone built a defense station there first in your game, and so claimed the sector, that's when.
But, they only contested it by building a Defense platform, never managed to claim. Unless Antigone owns the sector in the beginning of the game on Cadet Start, where I didn't pay attention to it. But, pretty sure that Solborn Militia outpost should have administrative buildings too, and it's there since beginning.
Wraith_Magus wrote:
Also, if you're playing "Terran through-and-through", then obviously, you should start the war against Argon, and then, if no terraforming missions are available, help the Paranids and screw over the Argon. The Terrans in lore are apparently happy to work with xeno races, so long as they aren't other humans, which the Terrans hate. (Terrans really have some screws lose.)
Oh yes, yes I will, eventually. Or just weaken them to the point of no-threat and focus on assimilating Pioneers instead (why those guys are allowed to grow independant, again?)
Initial plan was on feeding Free Families since they are pretty hostile to Argon too AND they needed help to keep Xenos away (Patriarchy is a bit close to our own borders so feeding them may backfire in future), but Fallen Families unique rep-loss-piracy-mechanic screwed me over hard, so I moved my operations out of there.
That said, considering that you didn't realize that sectors can change ownership, maybe it's just that the Terrans don't have any sectors with terraformable planets (is there any reason why they have terraforming technology, but never terraform Mars, again?), so you should help rectify that? Look for sectors where there are terraforming missions available, and see if the Terrans have any defense stations there. If they do, blow up all other race's defense stations, and it will become a Terran sector. Then, look and see if there are offers to terraform that planet.
I know about sector ownership changes.
Why Mars was never terraformed is a big question, as big as why Terrans don't try to be more expansionist given their point of view on the galaxy.

Teladi CEO

Post by Teladi CEO » Thu, 1. Apr 21, 23:53

Knjaz136 wrote:
Thu, 1. Apr 21, 13:32
Wraith_Magus wrote:
But, they only contested it by building a Defense platform, never managed to claim. Unless Antigone owns the sector in the beginning of the game on Cadet Start, where I didn't pay attention to it. But, pretty sure that Solborn Militia outpost should have administrative buildings too, and it's there since beginning.
Wraith_Magus wrote:
Oh yes, yes I will, eventually. Or just weaken them to the point of no-threat and focus on assimilating Pioneers instead (why those guys are allowed to grow independant, again?)
Initial plan was on feeding Free Families since they are pretty hostile to Argon too AND they needed help to keep Xenos away (Patriarchy is a bit close to our own borders so feeding them may backfire in future), but Fallen Families unique rep-loss-piracy-mechanic screwed me over hard, so I moved my operations out of there.
I know about sector ownership changes.
Why Mars was never terraformed is a big question, as big as why Terrans don't try to be more expansionist given their point of view on the galaxy.
I can answer a few things questions,

Mars was terraformed, just never drastically. They gave Mars a thicker atmosphere, possibly breathable. It’s why near a billion people live there.

The Pioneer are Terran/Xeno refugees that the Terrans evicted to get rid of their refugee crisis. Due to the looseness of them being removed, they have some autonomy. However, they still rely on the Terrans for protection.

The Terrans do/don’t expand for a number of reasons.

1. They have expanded and are, The three Segaris sectors, Getsu Fune, and Savage Spur 1.

2. The last time they tried to expand they were curb stomped by the Commonwealth and Xenon.
We don’t know what paradise is like, but probably it’s blue magenta, flecked with pink. But even if it’s green and red-checked we should make the most of it. -Boron saying

Return to “X4: Foundations”