About Terraforming (General info + concrete preconditions)

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Re: About Terraforming (General info + concrete preconditions)

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Thu, 25. Mar 21, 21:40

What you need to do to start terraforming is explained in the spoiler text at the bottom of the opening post of this thread.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Knjaz136

Post by Knjaz136 » Wed, 31. Mar 21, 20:40

Are there any way to get missions for helping Terran with Terraforming? I only see ANT, ARG, SCA, TEL, none of which is a viable option.

My character is Terran through and through, it's completely ooRP for him to help Argon or Antigone get habitable world , whom he considers runaways from human race and potential adversaries of his homeland when the fight for resources will inevitably come, as Terrans won't be able to sit in Solar system forever if they are to keep up with Xeno races. Especially when he spent so much effort helping Split facitons so they will start to pose bigger threat to Argon and thus push them closer to the influence of Terra.
Same goes for Xenos races.

(the terraforming tech is not based on sentient AI, afaik, so i t's not ooRP to engage in terraforming in first place. Plus, it's entirely different matter of "giving it a chance, but more carefully and with failsafes this time")

And since when Getsu Funa is ANT space in Cradle of Humanity?
https://puu.sh/Huddq/a572bdead6.png

Wraith_Magus
x3tc

Post by Wraith_Magus » Thu, 1. Apr 21, 00:44

Knjaz136 wrote:
Wed, 31. Mar 21, 20:40
Are there any way to get missions for helping Terran with Terraforming? I only see ANT, ARG, SCA, TEL, none of which is a viable option.

My character is Terran through and through, it's completely ooRP for him to help Argon or Antigone get habitable world , whom he considers runaways from human race and potential adversaries of his homeland when the fight for resources will inevitably come, as Terrans won't be able to sit in Solar system forever if they are to keep up with Xeno races. Especially when he spent so much effort helping Split facitons so they will start to pose bigger threat to Argon and thus push them closer to the influence of Terra.
Same goes for Xenos races.

(the terraforming tech is not based on sentient AI, afaik, so i t's not ooRP to engage in terraforming in first place. Plus, it's entirely different matter of "giving it a chance, but more carefully and with failsafes this time")

And since when Getsu Funa is ANT space in Cradle of Humanity?
https://puu.sh/Huddq/a572bdead6.png
Since Antigone built a defense station there first in your game, and so claimed the sector, that's when.

Also, if you're playing "Terran through-and-through", then obviously, you should start the war against Argon, and then, if no terraforming missions are available, help the Paranids and screw over the Argon. The Terrans in lore are apparently happy to work with xeno races, so long as they aren't other humans, which the Terrans hate. (Terrans really have some screws lose.)

That said, considering that you didn't realize that sectors can change ownership, maybe it's just that the Terrans don't have any sectors with terraformable planets (is there any reason why they have terraforming technology, but never terraform Mars, again?), so you should help rectify that? Look for sectors where there are terraforming missions available, and see if the Terrans have any defense stations there. If they do, blow up all other race's defense stations, and it will become a Terran sector. Then, look and see if there are offers to terraform that planet.

Knjaz136

Post by Knjaz136 » Thu, 1. Apr 21, 13:32

Wraith_Magus wrote:
Thu, 1. Apr 21, 00:44
Since Antigone built a defense station there first in your game, and so claimed the sector, that's when.
But, they only contested it by building a Defense platform, never managed to claim. Unless Antigone owns the sector in the beginning of the game on Cadet Start, where I didn't pay attention to it. But, pretty sure that Solborn Militia outpost should have administrative buildings too, and it's there since beginning.
Wraith_Magus wrote:
Also, if you're playing "Terran through-and-through", then obviously, you should start the war against Argon, and then, if no terraforming missions are available, help the Paranids and screw over the Argon. The Terrans in lore are apparently happy to work with xeno races, so long as they aren't other humans, which the Terrans hate. (Terrans really have some screws lose.)
Oh yes, yes I will, eventually. Or just weaken them to the point of no-threat and focus on assimilating Pioneers instead (why those guys are allowed to grow independant, again?)
Initial plan was on feeding Free Families since they are pretty hostile to Argon too AND they needed help to keep Xenos away (Patriarchy is a bit close to our own borders so feeding them may backfire in future), but Fallen Families unique rep-loss-piracy-mechanic screwed me over hard, so I moved my operations out of there.
That said, considering that you didn't realize that sectors can change ownership, maybe it's just that the Terrans don't have any sectors with terraformable planets (is there any reason why they have terraforming technology, but never terraform Mars, again?), so you should help rectify that? Look for sectors where there are terraforming missions available, and see if the Terrans have any defense stations there. If they do, blow up all other race's defense stations, and it will become a Terran sector. Then, look and see if there are offers to terraform that planet.
I know about sector ownership changes.
Why Mars was never terraformed is a big question, as big as why Terrans don't try to be more expansionist given their point of view on the galaxy.

Teladi CEO

Post by Teladi CEO » Thu, 1. Apr 21, 23:53

Knjaz136 wrote:
Thu, 1. Apr 21, 13:32
Wraith_Magus wrote:
But, they only contested it by building a Defense platform, never managed to claim. Unless Antigone owns the sector in the beginning of the game on Cadet Start, where I didn't pay attention to it. But, pretty sure that Solborn Militia outpost should have administrative buildings too, and it's there since beginning.
Wraith_Magus wrote:
Oh yes, yes I will, eventually. Or just weaken them to the point of no-threat and focus on assimilating Pioneers instead (why those guys are allowed to grow independant, again?)
Initial plan was on feeding Free Families since they are pretty hostile to Argon too AND they needed help to keep Xenos away (Patriarchy is a bit close to our own borders so feeding them may backfire in future), but Fallen Families unique rep-loss-piracy-mechanic screwed me over hard, so I moved my operations out of there.
I know about sector ownership changes.
Why Mars was never terraformed is a big question, as big as why Terrans don't try to be more expansionist given their point of view on the galaxy.
I can answer a few things questions,

Mars was terraformed, just never drastically. They gave Mars a thicker atmosphere, possibly breathable. It’s why near a billion people live there.

The Pioneer are Terran/Xeno refugees that the Terrans evicted to get rid of their refugee crisis. Due to the looseness of them being removed, they have some autonomy. However, they still rely on the Terrans for protection.

The Terrans do/don’t expand for a number of reasons.

1. They have expanded and are, The three Segaris sectors, Getsu Fune, and Savage Spur 1.

2. The last time they tried to expand they were curb stomped by the Commonwealth and Xenon.
We don’t know what paradise is like, but probably it’s blue magenta, flecked with pink. But even if it’s green and red-checked we should make the most of it. -Boron saying

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Mon, 12. Apr 21, 12:56

Once you leave a terraforming area, can you go back to it later and continue terraforming? Like can i go back to memory of profit and continue terraforming it?

Also, can i go to any random sector of my choosing and terraform it, if it has a planet, or can i only terraform the npc mission sectors?

Karmaticdamage
x4

Post by Karmaticdamage » Sat, 17. Apr 21, 15:16

grapedog wrote:
Mon, 12. Apr 21, 12:56
Once you leave a terraforming area, can you go back to it later and continue terraforming? Like can i go back to memory of profit and continue terraforming it?

Also, can i go to any random sector of my choosing and terraform it, if it has a planet, or can i only terraform the npc mission sectors?
You can go back, just have to redo the mass transportation research again and drop a beacon. Previous terraforming projects will still be complete.

Virtualaughing
x4

Post by Virtualaughing » Wed, 5. May 21, 08:45

How many times i have to repeat which process i have to repeat to get the required atmospheric pressure to build Tropical Resort?
X to X3 is MENU SUPERIOR!
I think Egosoft has already worked out our doom, because Xenon AI will reach the stars! :D

gorman2040
x4

Post by gorman2040 » Wed, 12. May 21, 18:21

Hi,

I recently started terraforming Messner in sector Frontier Edge.

I am not sure how to interpret the quake events. Can someone from Egosoft confirm how this mechanic works ? Is it a probability of loss of a random amount of resources ?

I tried mitigating the quake issue by aborting the current project before the end of the quake timer, giving enough time for the last batch of drones to build and fly successfully to the planet.
Every time I restart the project, the resources show as delivered but the number of drone to build always reset to the maximum which seems to also reduce the amount of resources transported by a single drone upon restarting the project.
Close to having delivered all resources, I can see drone flying empty, the number of in-flight drone decrease but the delivered resources stays the same.

I could understand if this is intended as to not exploit the abort/restart project (which still requires you to monitor the quake timer).
If this is the case then maybe add a few words about it ? It would make sense if it is in the popup that shows when hovering above the "Abort project" button.

Thank you.
"Show me your wares!"
Specs: i5-12600K, 32GB DDR4-3200, 1TB NVMe, RTX2060 Super. Saitek X52. LG 4K TV.
X3 Reunion, X3 TC, X Rebirth and now X4, still shooting Xenon and charting the universe since 2006.

DocAce
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by DocAce » Fri, 14. May 21, 10:32

When a quake happens there is a chance of losing a certain percentage of progress on the current project. The chance depends on the "Seismic Activity" stat. 1 means a chance of 10% to lose 20% of progress, 2 means a chance of 20% to lose 20% of progress, 3 means a chance of 30% to lose 20% of progress plus a chance of 5% to lose 75% of progress.

This "abort project" exploit you mention is currently not accounted for, so you can consider it undefined behaviour. The design intention is that it should affect all unfinished projects, but that may not be the case at the moment. I'll make a note to look into it more when I have some time.

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Sun, 16. May 21, 04:53

How worthwhile are the three factory options? The Von Neumman seems worth it for 20% reduction on higher end build materials. Is it worth it to do the two 10% reductions? Seems like it could be useful on a longer terraforming project. I'm doing Atiyas Misfortune now, and I'm just curious how big a dent those factories will make when all is said and done.

Also, there seems to be zero difference in output of Clean versus Cheap factories, except the cheap factories are also cheaper to build. I don't see any other difference... why build clean factories then if there are no positives or negatives?

DocAce
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by DocAce » Sun, 16. May 21, 19:36

The cheap factories have a chance of leaking toxins which you need to clean up after retrofitting toxin filters to the refineries. The combined costs are higher than that of the clean factories, but it only has a chance of happening.

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Sun, 16. May 21, 23:24

DocAce wrote:
Sun, 16. May 21, 19:36
The cheap factories have a chance of leaking toxins which you need to clean up after retrofitting toxin filters to the refineries. The combined costs are higher than that of the clean factories, but it only has a chance of happening.
The description mentions the filters as being the difference, but there is nothing indicating toxins that could leak causing a clean up required. Perhaps that can get added to the list of fixes to make that better underatood in the future?

Glad i went with clean factories then.

gorman2040
x4

Post by gorman2040 » Tue, 18. May 21, 19:14

DocAce wrote:
Fri, 14. May 21, 10:32
When a quake happens there is a chance of losing a certain percentage of progress on the current project. The chance depends on the "Seismic Activity" stat. 1 means a chance of 10% to lose 20% of progress, 2 means a chance of 20% to lose 20% of progress, 3 means a chance of 30% to lose 20% of progress plus a chance of 5% to lose 75% of progress.

This "abort project" exploit you mention is currently not accounted for, so you can consider it undefined behaviour. The design intention is that it should affect all unfinished projects, but that may not be the case at the moment. I'll make a note to look into it more when I have some time.
Thanks, I will add that to the wiki.

I want to add as well, my statement about not losing progress on aborted project might not be true as I can't verify if the probability of setback happened or I was just lucky.
"Show me your wares!"
Specs: i5-12600K, 32GB DDR4-3200, 1TB NVMe, RTX2060 Super. Saitek X52. LG 4K TV.
X3 Reunion, X3 TC, X Rebirth and now X4, still shooting Xenon and charting the universe since 2006.

Return to “X4: Foundations”