Anyone else would be willing to pay for new ships designs DLC?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

MHDriver
x4

Re: Anyone else would be willing to pay for new ships designs DLC?

Post by MHDriver » Tue, 16. Mar 21, 02:38

I would be interested as long as it wasn't the typical kitbash. All one has to do is spend a few minutes searching sci-fi ship designs on Artstation or Pinterest to see how outdated X4 ships are.

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Tue, 16. Mar 21, 03:11

Nope ..

Though supporting Egosoft with more cash would not be a problem.

The problem would be in the amount of work we would be asking of the small part of Devs (the modelling team) to do.

I have seen Linolafett elsewhere mention that working on just one ship model takes literally months of work.

Simple Aesthetics asside they still have to consider balance, turret positions / angles, scripting of animations, players and races interracting with the cockpit / walkways, docking of fighters or traders, target audience machines memory / spec budgets, and least of which whether the overall design fits in thematically with the race its designed for.

I would rather they spend their limited modellers artistic time on bug fixing what we already have and complete the game (with all DLCs) being bug free.

Honestly I didn't like the design change of ships to previous X series designs, but knowing the resistance to change is a natural human nature thing I gave them a while .. And found though I am still not a fan of some design changes, most of them have grown on me. Particularly the feeling of how awesome a lot of them look landing / taking off from stations we can now walk around. The designs feel like a Techno / Industrial influence.
Last edited by alt3rn1ty on Tue, 16. Mar 21, 03:30, edited 1 time in total.
Laptop Dell G15 5510 : Win 11 x64
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

:boron: Long live Queen Polypheides and may her tentacles always be supple.
Seeker of Sohnen.

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Tue, 16. Mar 21, 03:30

I would pay for anything egosoft feed me unless they manage to push me away with more 'boron avoidance'.
alt3rn1ty wrote:
Tue, 16. Mar 21, 03:11
I have seen Linolafett elsewhere mention that working on just one ship model takes literally months of work.
That doesnt surprise me. My ship mod took me probably 500 hours and I spent probably 30% of the time kitbashing vanilla ships (and I still dont consider it finished, AT ALL. Its not good enough to compare to vanilla ships).
alt3rn1ty wrote:
Tue, 16. Mar 21, 03:11
Honestly I didn't like the design change of ships to previous X series designs, but knowing the resistance to change is a natural human nature thing I gave them a while .. And found though I am still not a fan of some design changes, most of them have grown on me. Particularly the feeling of how awesome a lot of them look landing / taking off from stations we can now walk around. The designs feel like a Techno / Industrial influence.
Im a person that loves change and iteration so I was happy to see the complete avoidance of X3 in Rebirth, and Im also happy to see the total change of the Argon in X4. I want things to evolve and get iterated upon. I obviously love X3 and its ships and specifically its ship variety, I made 6 or so of them in Albion Prelude, but I dont want egosoft to be stuck in 'x3 mode' because it is dated and archaic. I think the Paranid capitals in X4 are the weakest of the games ship models, and they are also the closest to X3's models in the game - ships like the Zeus are slightly updated X3 models, and I think the choice to use X3 models to save time lead egosoft on a 'lazy' path with the Paranid - rather than thinking of something new and evolved they just stuck with x3 paranid, leading to Paranid L ships as a whole being incredibly weak from a aesthetic point of view. The Paranid aesthetics could be amazing if they were updated. Look at 'Apotheosis'... same goes for any of the games races (and I say races... I want some Rebirth thinking in X4. 'Races' dont design spaceships, companies and individuals do).

frisonic
x4

Post by frisonic » Tue, 16. Mar 21, 04:11

clear answer yes absolute in a heart beat :)

abisha1980
x4

Post by abisha1980 » Tue, 16. Mar 21, 06:18

i made a topic about this last year, kind of suggested they outsourced some thing's so the gamers "us" can get more content
which is good for us and them. because that's the only thing missing in this game more content.

at should at least grow around 50GB till they can stop with adding outsourced content
Retail investor, η+18,9% 2022 (η+7.1% 2023) (η+0,74 2024) 95% in bonds.
Young people don't be freaking stupid invest also (not in BTC but in real stocks)

Mycu
x4

Post by Mycu » Tue, 16. Mar 21, 07:24

abisha1980 wrote:
Tue, 16. Mar 21, 06:18
i made a topic about this last year, kind of suggested they outsourced some thing's so the gamers "us" can get more content
which is good for us and them. because that's the only thing missing in this game more content.

at should at least grow around 50GB till they can stop with adding outsourced content
Agree, outsourcing seems like a win-win deal.

I'd have no problem to buy redisigned ships pack so base ones could match Split and Terran ship quality.
Paranid cap ships need some really urgent rework.
X3 AP 3.1 + XRM
X3 AP 3.1 + LU

Stumbling
x4

Post by Stumbling » Tue, 16. Mar 21, 08:02

It could be good if they took the warhammer total war DLC approach. They could tackle one race at a time in smaller/cheaper DLC, where they add a couple of new ships and you get the redesigns as free for all. I would happily pay for that, but tbh I am mostly ok with the S/M ships, its just some of the L and XL which look like they were designed at a small scale and they really stretched.

Bozz11
x4

Post by Bozz11 » Tue, 16. Mar 21, 08:32

I would be willing to pay 20$ just to get rid of the paranid hairdryer invasion ! :oops:

Pares
x4

Post by Pares » Tue, 16. Mar 21, 08:48

Some of the original ships, mainly the Paranid ones could use some serious facelift. The huge turrets just don't fit the overall design of their ships at all.

razoth
x4

Post by razoth » Wed, 17. Mar 21, 08:28

I probably would like a smaller dlc without missions, sectors and races, but maybe a destroyer and battleship (maybe also sprinkled in some m-/s-ships) for the initial races.

Like back in the day, where some strategy games had full on addons and every once in a while like a mission pack, that just provided some szenarios without new features. Or like in the sims, where there are full addons with new features, neighbourhoods and whatever and Accesoires-Packs containing only some sets around a theme for a lower prize.

I feel like that, assuming the development time of such a mini dlc is considerably shorter, it could squeeze between two big dlcs and create a fresh breeze of new stuff, in the long wait period in between.

Prosik
x3tc

Post by Prosik » Wed, 17. Mar 21, 09:37

Wondering about the Springblossom and Spitfire and if they are Egosoft property.
Where did the L and Q go? Should not have to redesign much on these since no cockpit etc.

Repli
x4

Post by Repli » Wed, 17. Mar 21, 14:30

Prosik wrote:
Wed, 17. Mar 21, 09:37
Where did the L and Q go? Should not have to redesign much on these since no cockpit etc.
If I remember correctly, egosoft switched the models in X Rebirth: former xenon N got the model from X3 Xenon M and the the M got the Model from the L.
The same in X4. The M is the former L. :gruebel:

But yeah, maybe it is possible to reintrodruce the "missing" xenon ships, like LX, Q and J.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 17. Mar 21, 14:49

LX is rather easy to kitbash using exixting M model, slapped together at 90 dergee angle.

I was nagging Egosoft about LX ever since 1.0 and I would definetly not like to PAY for it.

Phinixa
x4

Post by Phinixa » Wed, 17. Mar 21, 15:29

Well since linolafett already expressed he'd like to rework the basegame ship designs, I am definitely willing to pay 5-10€ at most for a ship design pack. Anything above that is just too expensive given that the normal expansions already cost just 15€...
***modified*** 4 life!

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 17. Mar 21, 15:49

I'd rather stick with big yearly DLCs than going Scam Citizen route of ships or ship packs.

IMO Pirates and Corporations would be good as one big DLC and Aldrin & Goners as second big DLC.

You wanna see something awful? Go to Steam and find the games called "Dead or Alive 5" and "Dead or Alive 6" - these two have like milion tiny DLCs for them.

I would lose the respect for Egosoft if they go for microtransaction route.

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Wed, 17. Mar 21, 16:40

mr.WHO wrote:
Wed, 17. Mar 21, 15:49
I'd rather stick with big yearly DLCs than going Scam Citizen route of ships or ship packs.

IMO Pirates and Corporations would be good as one big DLC and Aldrin & Goners as second big DLC.

You wanna see something awful? Go to Steam and find the games called "Dead or Alive 5" and "Dead or Alive 6" - these two have like milion tiny DLCs for them.

I would lose the respect for Egosoft if they go for microtransaction route.
Or a game like Civilization, each new Civ you can purchase for 2.99 or whatever.... sadly, i just ignore Civ now, i HATE microtransactions.

Shehriazad
x4

Post by Shehriazad » Wed, 17. Mar 21, 17:09

Mh after thinking about it some more, sure I would pay for NEW ship designs...but it would have to be A: a bunch of them and B: at a reasonable price.

If we are just talking about bringing old vanilla faction ships back, that should happen alongside of the DLC update in a free patch.

An X Player

Post by An X Player » Wed, 17. Mar 21, 19:47

To put our money where our mouth is, so to speak.

I would even go as far as to spend for the content to be made. I.e. kickerstarter.

If Egosoft put up new artwork as kickstarters before committing to it, I for one would pay to fund this.

Not sure if this is mentioned within OP, but count me in.

Julijasav

Post by Julijasav » Wed, 26. Jan 22, 15:56

Stumbling wrote:
Tue, 16. Mar 21, 08:02
It could be good if they took the warhammer total war DLC approach from https://eldfall-chronicles.com/ They could tackle one race at a time in smaller/cheaper DLC, where they add a couple of new ships and you get the redesigns as free for all. I would happily pay for that, but tbh I am mostly ok with the S/M ships, its just some of the L and XL which look like they were designed at a small scale and they really stretched.
This one is one of the best trategies of war hammer My friends are still talking about it :)
Last edited by Julijasav on Thu, 27. Jan 22, 22:36, edited 2 times in total.

abisha1980
x4

Post by abisha1980 » Wed, 26. Jan 22, 16:40

that bepands on price, how much i get, and quality.

i understand nobody works for free (at least a normal person don't)
improving the game and graphics will cost extra and i'm willing to play extra so long it's not a extorsion
but is that fair to people that's bit less fortunate then me.

i think if Egosoft go subscription mode and ask 2$ a 3$ a month and really deliver extra quality i would not mind that so much.
for example spend it on a extra graphics engineer that works on the 3D models
Retail investor, η+18,9% 2022 (η+7.1% 2023) (η+0,74 2024) 95% in bonds.
Young people don't be freaking stupid invest also (not in BTC but in real stocks)

Return to “X4: Foundations”