[#1128]"Terran Pests", the Geometric Owl got destroyed...

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

dyingcrow
x4

[#1128]"Terran Pests", the Geometric Owl got destroyed...

Post by dyingcrow » Mon, 3. May 21, 23:26

...in a very awkward and unfortunate sequence of events. This was some time ago, i thought it would eventually respawn or something, but nothing so far. I even filtered the map by the ship's name to see if it was somewhere else, but no luck.

Any tips? No clue what i'm supposed to do at the moment. Mission can't be aborted..

Game is modded.

flatbush71

Re: "Terran Pests", the Geometric Owl got destroyed...

Post by flatbush71 » Mon, 3. May 21, 23:57

I've never lost the Owl but I absolutely despise that mission or task or what ever you call it.
Hopefully you saved
This is very first X Game I have ever did story line missions or been forced to do them and I absolutely hate it.
We need mods that go straight to the decision point and spawn the unique ships at the HQ
After the forth or fifth play thru its just pure frustration.

KextV8
x4

Post by KextV8 » Tue, 4. May 21, 00:13

flatbush71 wrote:
Mon, 3. May 21, 23:57
This is very first X Game I have ever did story line missions or been forced to do them and I absolutely hate it.
There were tons of plots to do in X3 but you dont have to do them. Same with X:R. And also X4. They are optional. Skip them if you want. The only thing you can't do without a plot is terraform and research.

dyingcrow
x4

Post by dyingcrow » Tue, 4. May 21, 02:05

Independent of the fact that these are optional or not, if there is no backup plan for this occasion, it's just something else ES didn't think of :( "what if the Owl gets destroyed?" The obvious answer must be "well, player reloads save, nothing to worry about".

Right. This is where i would go :rant: because there is no save to reload, this happened a few weeks ago (and i wouldn't roll back weeks for something so idiotic). I thought another one would respawn (common sense?), be a bit patient, keep doing my thing. Didn't happen. I mean, it's a plot objective, there should always be a backup plan for these.

:(

Maybe there is, and someone knows what it is. Even if i have to go dig on the save, i can do that if i know what to look for.

Zloth2
x4

Post by Zloth2 » Tue, 4. May 21, 02:32

Normally, they like to make the ships unkillable. I just ran into part of the Terran plot where I was supposed to talk to the Terran but, when I found her ship, it was all alone against a K and a bunch of fighters. The fighters went down but the K was wiping her ship out... until it got her ship down to about 10% Hull, at which point it just stopped being hurt by attacks.

How did the Owl get wiped out? Maybe that should count as "failing" the mission?
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home
and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here! It's wondrous, with
treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross, but it's not for the
timid." ---- Q

KextV8
x4

Post by KextV8 » Tue, 4. May 21, 03:30

Zloth2 wrote:
Tue, 4. May 21, 02:32
How did the Owl get wiped out? Maybe that should count as "failing" the mission?
I would think it is intentional that the Owl can be destroyed.
Spoiler
Show
Since part of the quest requires combat in it.
It's likely an oversight if there isn't some kind of backup condition beyond reloading, or possibly they didn't anticipate that the ship would die without the player in it, forcing a reload. Or it could be something related to his game being modded, no way for us to know.

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Tue, 4. May 21, 07:53

From what I understand there is no possible way for it to just go boom.
Its unowned from what I remember so no chance for OOS kills. Or anyone to kill it for that matter.
Its immune to The Void's hazard.
There shouldn't be mines near it.
There is no collision damage.

If its an oversight then I'm reminded of that Einstein quote.

IRONOX
x4

Post by IRONOX » Tue, 4. May 21, 11:07

Well when an akward and unfortunate sequence of events are the reason for this AND your game is modded, i would say that there is no blame to lay on ES.
Tbh i think it´s quiet the achievment to get the Owl destroyed when it´s still in The Void :P

So a reload/restart might be the only way to fix this
Alle Angaben mit Gewähr auf eventuelle Fehlerhaftigkeit!

dyingcrow
x4

Post by dyingcrow » Wed, 5. May 21, 04:15

Digging through the older save backups, i found a save of when i teleported out of the Owl. Must have been F5 instinct, i don't recall doing that.

I managed to stitch the Geometric Owl's block into the current save, and respawned the ship that way. Appears to be fully functional, flew it around a bit and shot some stuff.
Copying the whole story block to the current save and updating the IDs didn't quite work (what a surprise :lol: ), but at least the save loaded. There's gotta be something between this
---------------------------------------
<cue id="704914" name="Ch4_Repair_Betty_Event" state="cancelled"/>
</cue>
<cue id="704915" name="Ch4_Player_Docked" state="cancelled">
<cue id="704916" name="Ch4_Hint_Betty_Welcome" state="cancelled" index="1"/>
</cue>
<cue id="704917" name="Ch4_Complete" state="cancelled"/>
</cue>
<cue id="704918" name="Ch5_Force" state="waiting">
<cue id="704919" name="Ch5_Check_HQ"/>
<cue id="704920" name="Ch5_Force_Delay"/>
-------------------------------------
and something else i've probably been through that will let me trigger the next step. A lot of stitching.

That older save is from a month ago, definitely don't want to go back that far :sceptic:

izalith
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by izalith » Wed, 5. May 21, 09:56

dyingcrow wrote:
Mon, 3. May 21, 23:26
...in a very awkward and unfortunate sequence of events.
Hello, do you recall which events got the ship destroyed? It should be set to indestructible as long as the player isn't inside it.

Do you run mods which could remove invincibility from ships (min hull value)?

dyingcrow
x4

Post by dyingcrow » Wed, 5. May 21, 12:33

izalith wrote:
Wed, 5. May 21, 09:56
Hello, do you recall which events got the ship destroyed? It should be set to indestructible as long as the player isn't inside it.

Do you run mods which could remove invincibility from ships (min hull value)?
I recall some details.
I had already boarded the Owl. The ship was glitched, the only thing i could see were the engines. I was attempting to dock it to the player ship (mod ship), which had an S dock, but it wouldn't stay docked. When i changed ships it would just be floating in space again. I had landed quite a few fighters to it, never had an issue like this.
When i decided to just repair it and fly it out of the belt myself, one of my personal ships somewhere got in trouble, i had to teleport over and deal with the situation. Then some Argon fighters in the sector (been at war with the Argon since the beginning) came by and finished off the Owl.

There was some dialogue about an AI logging off or something when the Owl got destroyed, that's why i thought the ship would just respawn somewhere else, or the mission would continue in some other way. Decided to accept the outcome and not reload.

Not sure if i have any mod that remove invincibility, but it happened after i claimed it.

Hope this helps.

dyingcrow
x4

Post by dyingcrow » Thu, 6. May 21, 01:30

Well, it appears i managed to reset the whole story, so i got to start it again. And the save isn't broken :) (yet?)
I got a free Owl and there's a clone Oberth floating in the Earth sector, while there's another one in GE 1. And the old entries are still in the save.
Guess i'll see what happens when i get there :gruebel:

This happened only when i teleported over to a ship in GE 1, while i've been copy pasting and changing IDs and reloading in the Earth sector, so who knows.

This is the last thing i did, and it may make sense:

Changed this

<mission id="703574" name="Terran Pests" description="The freelance scientist, Kuromanckami, wants you and your colleague to voyage deep into Terran space. There you will find the expedition site; a piece of Torus wreckage. As your colleague's hardware and software are not entirely legal, you will have to avoid and evade Terran patrols on your way there.[\012][\012]Be warned that the Terrans may try to prevent you from exploring the Torus remnants." icon="briefing_kuromanckami_01" caption="Kuromanckami" faction="pioneers" type="plot" level="medium" rewardtext="Glorious View of a Minuscule Shard of Terran Hubris" abortable="0">
<briefing>
<objective step="1" type="dockat" text="Geometric Owl" active="1">
</objective>
</briefing>
<objective step="1" type="dockat" text="Geometric Owl">
</objective>
</mission>

to this

<mission id="715990" name="Terran Pests" description="The freelance scientist, Kuromanckami, wants you and your colleague to voyage deep into Terran space. There you will find the expedition site; a piece of Torus wreckage. As your colleague's hardware and software are not entirely legal, you will have to avoid and evade Terran patrols on your way there.[\012][\012]Be warned that the Terrans may try to prevent you from exploring the Torus remnants." icon="briefing_kuromanckami_01" caption="Kuromanckami" faction="pioneers" type="plot" level="medium" rewardtext="Glorious View of a Minuscule Shard of Terran Hubris" abortable="0">
<briefing>
<objective step="1" type="dockat" text="Geometric Owl"/>
</briefing>
</mission>

Saved the file, reloaded the game, teleported over to GE 1, and Boso contacted me for the plot. Fun fact, i teleported to GE 1 for something totally not related :|

ONLY after it reset i went back to the old save for another look and realized the mission block in the current save was incomplete, that's maybe why docking wasn't working. It was missing the target IDs. I never copied that over...

<mission id="703574" name="Terran Pests" description="The freelance scientist, Kuromanckami, wants you and your colleague to voyage deep into Terran space. There you will find the expedition site; a piece of Torus wreckage. As your colleague's hardware and software are not entirely legal, you will have to avoid and evade Terran patrols on your way there.[\012][\012]Be warned that the Terrans may try to prevent you from exploring the Torus remnants." icon="briefing_kuromanckami_01" caption="Kuromanckami" faction="pioneers" type="plot" level="medium" rewardtext="Glorious View of a Minuscule Shard of Terran Hubris" abortable="0">
<briefing>
<objective step="1" type="dockat" text="Geometric Owl" active="1">
<targets>
<target id="[0x21f5dd8]"/>
</targets>
</objective>
</briefing>
<objective step="1" type="dockat" text="Geometric Owl">
<targets>
<target id="[0x21f5dd8]"/>
</targets>
</objective>
</mission>

This appears to relate to

<value name="$BettyShip" type="component" value="[0x21f5dd8]"/>

Bettyship being the Geometric Owl, as referenced in the story block (there are a few other entries with value="[0x21f5dd8])
Maybe stitching it properly, updating the IDs and the values would have fixed it, dunno. Not going back to try. TBH, i had no idea what i was doing, and i have no intentions of attempting this again.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'll try to recreate the issue and come back to tell about it with more and better details.
One thing that was not made clear, makes sense the Owl is invincible before being claimed, but is it after the player repaired and claimed it?

izalith
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by izalith » Tue, 11. May 21, 12:09

dyingcrow wrote:
Thu, 6. May 21, 01:30
I'll try to recreate the issue and come back to tell about it with more and better details.
Looking forward for a repro on destroying the Owl :) It has invulnerability-handling, though the Oberth has the same and managed to disappear mysteriously in some save games, which is quite puzzling.

Some info on the Owl behaviour:

- The Owl is indestructible as long as the player is not on it (and prevents NPC assignment so player don't get control of an indestructible ship). The "weapons operational" message tells you when it's destructible again after re-entering.
- The Owl turns it's "docking group" (ships/stations it's docked on, recursive) indestructible. When any of those gets to low HP, it "undocks" and turns them vulnerable again. There should be a message saying "Alert! Explosion imminent.", though it can be surpressed if other messages are running. Your observation of "it wouldn't stay docked" sounds like you tried to dock it at something with low health (or at something which is docked at something at low health).
- The special Owl behaviour is deactivated after the plot is completed. After that NPC assignment should work and it should be normally destructible as any other ship.

TKutya
x4

Post by TKutya » Wed, 12. Apr 23, 21:47

old and dead topic but i walking the same shoe...

im docking the player hq docking platform with the owl, then going another ship (teleport)
after that i build some new stuff my base, and the buildplan first step is delet the docking modul... :D

after that i realised my owl is gone...

soo maybe destroyed becouse deleted the docking platfor?
(ohhh and yes im totaly new in this game so sometimes i dont know what am i doing :D )

Good Wizard
x4

Post by Good Wizard » Wed, 12. Apr 23, 21:56

TKutya wrote:
Wed, 12. Apr 23, 21:47
old and dead topic but i walking the same shoe...

im docking the player hq docking platform with the owl, then going another ship (teleport)
after that i build some new stuff my base, and the buildplan first step is delet the docking modul... :D

after that i realised my owl is gone...

soo maybe destroyed becouse deleted the docking platfor?
(ohhh and yes im totaly new in this game so sometimes i dont know what am i doing :D )
Yes, sadly the ship is lost. ALL docked ships on a docking module are lost if you delete a docking module. This happened to others too, I was warned in time and could avoid it.

That a mission relevant ship can be destroyed too is a problem, since it is set to indestructible as long as you are not sitting in it. Maybe an oversight.

IMHO deletion of a docking module should not be possible as long as there are ships docked on it.

EDIT: Maybe you should report this problem in the Support Forum too, since it kills a mission in a rather silly way. AFAIK you can only go back to an old save to fix this. But post the problem on the Support Forum, there may be a solution I do not know about...

Return to “X4: Foundations”